Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

FrozenVent posted:

It's not so much in-flight guidance as having the launch position absolutely 100% correct. Ballistic missiles are pretty much unguided after they're launched (They have course keeping gyros or INS or what not, but from what I understand the trajectory is programmed in before launch.)

Submarines have Inertial Navigation Systems, but those slip over time and need to be corrected once in a while. GPS works great for that, since there's really no other way to get that kind of accuracy in the middle of the ocean.

Submarines have astoundingly accurate INS, to the point where they have specialized sensors to detect and compensate for gravity anomalies caused by density variations in the Earth's crust and mantle. And, Trident missiles correct for INS errors with a star-sighting system when they get into space.

GPS doesn't degrade in the upper atmosphere. Civilian GPS chipsets are required to shut down when they exceed certain speed and altitude limits, but that's an artificial limitation so people we don't like have to go to at least a little bit of effort to build GPS-guided ballistic missiles. If I remember right, there was an SH/SC poster who was working on a 100% homebrew GPS receiver that didn't necessarily have to follow those requirements, but they ended up getting a visit from some national security types before the project was over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Check yo PMs

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
I found a really cool Air Museum whilst on vacation and tried to snap a few photos with my cell. Sadly I forgot my good camera at home :(

I'll try to get some more up tomorrow.

The Flipperbaby
Jun 21, 2012

"hey man, wanna see a M3 Grease Gun made entirely out of BUTT-FUCKING CLOUDS?! Shazaam!"

Warbadger posted:

Mig-21, not Mig-19!

gently caress, I knew that was a MiG-21. It was most assuredly a mistake.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
How do MiGs get their NATO names? Or p much any other Soviet/Warsaw Pact weapon?

The Flipperbaby
Jun 21, 2012

"hey man, wanna see a M3 Grease Gun made entirely out of BUTT-FUCKING CLOUDS?! Shazaam!"

Oxford Comma posted:

How do MiGs get their NATO names? Or p much any other Soviet/Warsaw Pact weapon?

As I recall, the first letter of the NATO name for a Warsaw Pact aircraft denotes it's role. An example would be MiG-21 "Fishbed", the F referring to "Fighter".

Edit: the Wikipedia entry on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Then occasionally you get something really weird and confusing. What we call the Typhoon the Russians called the Akula. And what we called the Akula they called Shchuka(Pike).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

Submarines have astoundingly accurate INS, to the point where they have specialized sensors to detect and compensate for gravity anomalies caused by density variations in the Earth's crust and mantle. And, Trident missiles correct for INS errors with a star-sighting system when they get into space.

GPS doesn't degrade in the upper atmosphere. Civilian GPS chipsets are required to shut down when they exceed certain speed and altitude limits, but that's an artificial limitation so people we don't like have to go to at least a little bit of effort to build GPS-guided ballistic missiles. If I remember right, there was an SH/SC poster who was working on a 100% homebrew GPS receiver that didn't necessarily have to follow those requirements, but they ended up getting a visit from some national security types before the project was over.
That's really awesome. I doubt I will ever have the smarts to be visited by the government to shut down my project. (Lego aircraft carriers)

The Flipperbaby
Jun 21, 2012

Totally TWISTED posted:

That's really awesome. I doubt I will ever have the smarts to be visited by the government to shut down my project. (Lego aircraft carriers)

My Lego fleets always sunk to the bottom of pools/puddles/and bathtubs. Those brick hulls just will never be totally water-tight. Sure, the obvious answer is to seal them up with glue, but then how do you retrofit your ships?

From one failed Lego Admiral to another, Lego navy is a great dream, but a tragic reality. I'll never forget the happy yellow faces of the brave sailors lost under my command...

May you find peace in the sea's deep holds, my brave boys.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

One of my goals for...somepoint is to make an RC ballistic missile sub. Emerging from the depths of a pool to fire a model rocket off just sounds too amazing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Alaan posted:

One of my goals for...somepoint is to make an RC ballistic missile sub. Emerging from the depths of a pool to fire a model rocket off just sounds too amazing.

The closets I've come is when we took a model ship, sealed all the openings with glue, stuck a couple saturn rocket batteries on it, and watched it fire rockets off its deck while floating in a pond. We tried to sink it with a pair of hand-tossed, water-proofed M80s. That failed. So we threw rocks at it until it sank. In hindsight, what a waste, we should have just tethered the ship and pulled it back in rather than needlessly destroying it and putting plastic trash in a pond.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I figure there has to be some way to use CO2 cartridges to purge small ballast tanks or something. Not that at present I have the mechanical or electrical skills to do it. The general concept shouldn't be that awful though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

It was me :frogbon: I think I mentioned that in this thread actually. Civilian GPS is literally taking publicly broadcast signals and performing math on that data to figure out where you are on a geodetic sphere. Never mind that any country with indigenous ASIC/chip manufacturing capabilities and a few EEs can build a GPS receiver, and dudes have built receivers out of digital logic in Eastern Europe years ago.

Navigation systems are an incredibly nerdy hobby of mine...it's just really loving cool (to me anyway) to have a machine/system that can pinpoint your position on a giant (relatively) planet. It's nuts how much money we've spent and how much math/science has been developed from the initial goal of accurately killing people on the other side of the planet. An amazing amount of time in the 1960s/1970s was spent on this and gods of controls engineering all took up residence at MIT Lincoln Lab. The pay doesn't stack up though :(

In no particular order and not exhaustive, lobbing nuclear death at some other humans can be guided by:
- GPS ("If I can receive signals and trust them, this is gonna own!")
- INS ("I know where I started, I know how fast I'm going, etc, I can do some math and figure out where I am! At least until measurement error shows up")
- Star sights ("Stars don't move that much, gonna look at the fuckin' stars and figure out where I am")
- Terrain maps/contours ("Hyper-accurate maps of countries including friendly ones that don't really want nukes flying over them" gently caress yes")
- ye olde active radar/IR/etc.

Star sighting/optical tracking gets a workout in the space program, and modern systems can take advantage of FPGAs and similar to easily crunch inputs and run filters in something close to real-time.

The Flipperbaby posted:

My Lego fleets always sunk to the bottom of pools/puddles/and bathtubs. Those brick hulls just will never be totally water-tight. Sure, the obvious answer is to seal them up with glue, but then how do you retrofit your ships?

:smith::hf::smith: I was a sad child when I realized my Lego ships would sink to the bottom :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Those :canada: geese at the local pond have gotten WAY too uppity, fire all torpedoes!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

priznat posted:

Those :canada: geese at the local pond have gotten WAY too uppity, fire all torpedoes!

Canada geese are assholes, they've all but taken over the field right outside work and covered it in poo poo and angry honking :argh:

(weaponize them somehow)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

They are total assholes and I get hissed at them a lot when walking my dogs (on-leash, they would mess my wuss dogs up) at the local lake.

Their babies are pretty drat cute though :3:

The Flipperbaby
Jun 21, 2012

This might represent the pinnacle of my cruelty:

Last year, I was driving on a road through a park when my car broke down ('70 VW Beetle, so I'm used to it). The tow truck was long in coming and I was hungry, so I actually resorted to eating an MRE which had been behind my rear seat. Seeing this, an entitled mob of Canadian Geese decided to appeal for handouts while I ate. My first bite of the meatballs was even more foul than normal MRE fare, and I realized that it had gone bad from sun exposure. I then proceeded to feed the geese my spoiled MRE meatballs and stuff until the truck came, all the while chortling in the most evil of manner.

Trivia: believe it or not, the Canadian Goose was thought to be extinct until 1963. Further evidence that everything was better before the 1960s...

Bonus Trivia: Canadian Geese are so named because they are fond of hockey and Kraft dinner.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

You fool, now they have a taste for meat!!!!

We are so hosed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

movax posted:

It was me :frogbon: I think I mentioned that in this thread actually. Civilian GPS is literally taking publicly broadcast signals and performing math on that data to figure out where you are on a geodetic sphere. Never mind that any country with indigenous ASIC/chip manufacturing capabilities and a few EEs can build a GPS receiver, and dudes have built receivers out of digital logic in Eastern Europe years ago.
That's pretty baller, but I'm not surprised you attracted certain attention. The government takes security of anything related to GPS technology very seriously, and some of it ventures into arms export control territory, if I recall correctly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Flipperbaby posted:

Trivia: believe it or not, the Canadian Goose was thought to be extinct until 1963. Further evidence that everything was better before the 1960s...

That was actually just one subspecies, and not the kind that take over suburban ponds and spray poo poo everywhere.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I hit one with my work truck. Had to get some pliers to pull its carcass out of the overhang when we got back to the base a few hours later. Holy poo poo did it ever explode in a ball of feathers.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Everyone needs to go see Top Gun, it is awesome.

Volleyball is great in 3D.

Also Cyrano I saw your PM, I'll respond to it after work tomorrow. I was too busy decompressing from the awesomeness of Top Gun on IMAX to get to it tonight.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

American ballistic missiles have INS, but the roughness of launch may destabilize it, so they have optical star tracking for position fix in midcourse. No GPS needed. Everything I've been able to publicly determine says the TARGET is determined before launch. The INS gets it on a close enough flight path up to its suborbital coast. It does an apoapsis burn that puts it balls on, then does maneuvering burns to get its MIRVs or decoys to time-on-target correctly. None of this, in any way, relies on anything outside of the missile that can be jammed or disabled by enemies, short of making the sun go nova or putting enough optical energy into the troposphere to have it glow brighter than background stars at 1200km altitude.
How would optical star tracking work for guidance? You'd be able to get a directional fix- EG, which direction the spacecraft is pointing. But I'm having a hard time picturing how you'd get a firm fix on position. I know how celestial sea navigation works at sea, with latitude pretty easy, and an accurate clock able to give longitudinal fix, but when altitude becomes a variable as well, wouldn't all that go out the window?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

grover posted:

How would optical star tracking work for guidance?

Mackenzie, in Ballistic Missile Guidance Systems, posted:

[The Poseidon's Mk-4 Guidance system] was something of 'a patched up Mk-3 system', with a stellar sensor fitted to the outer gimbal. This could take a star sighting following the boost phase (after the two rocket stages had burnt out and separated), prior to the deployment of the re-entry vehicles. The image of the star would pass through a telescope and mirror system to the signal plate of a photoelectric 'vidicon' tube. Comparison of the actual star position with that predicted (from a star map) provided the information to correct the guidance system for errors in initial launch position and azimuth knowledge.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
It's not of the cold war but the best guidance system is the pigeon guidance system.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

grover posted:

How would optical star tracking work for guidance? You'd be able to get a directional fix- EG, which direction the spacecraft is pointing. But I'm having a hard time picturing how you'd get a firm fix on position. I know how celestial sea navigation works at sea, with latitude pretty easy, and an accurate clock able to give longitudinal fix, but when altitude becomes a variable as well, wouldn't all that go out the window?

I don't know how it's actually done, but it's not hard to work out at least one method from first principles. You can use standard celestial navigation techniques to find a line that extends from the center of the earth, through your position, into the celestial sphere - basically, everything but the altitude component (and longitude on the globe, but we're talking absolute space instead of some silly spinning rock). Then, use some high school trigonometry with the tangent of a known angle and the known radius of the earth to get your altitude. Use whatever chronometer you like to get an accurate fix on longitude from your celestial coordinates, and there you have it.

*if an instrument that measures 45 degrees is an octant, 60 degrees is a sextant, and 90 degrees is a quadrant - what's one that can measure 180 degrees?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
A sextant measures up to 120 degrees :ssh:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Uuuuuuugh I already made clear a few posts above on how it is a post-boost phase method of correcting launch point inaccuracies from INS.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
Sadly most of the pics on my phone did not turn out :( hopefully the boy's ipod pics will be better:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Sadly most of the pics on my phone did not turn out :( hopefully the boy's ipod pics will be better:

I think I recognize that place.

Is that the museum located in the big as gently caress old navy or CG or whatever blimp hanger near Tillamook?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

Good thing we're not spending money on keeping pointless tactical nukes in Europe or maintaining an entire nuclear infrastructure spanning over 6 USAF installations to support keeping 450 ICBMs on alert, ICBMs with less than half the total number of warheads (and well less than half the throw weight) than the D5s on the Ohios!

You know better than that...the system doesn't work this way.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Not Cold War related, but definitely related to airpower. I humbly admit I had no clue how helicopters do what they do, even if it's so blindingly obvious in retrospect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdEWzqsfeHM Helicopter physics. Video 1 of many.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 11, 2013

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think I recognize that place.

Is that the museum located in the big as gently caress old navy or CG or whatever blimp hanger near Tillamook?

Yes sir. I'm going to have to check out the McMinnville one as well. It was really cool that we were able to walk right up to the aircraft and actually peek inside.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

grover posted:

Two stars give you a latitude fix; you're projecting the plane of their positions onto the sphere of the globe. The intersection of the two arcs is your latitude. Three stars gives you three planes. Six stars should give you enough angular resolution to get your fix pretty solid. That, plus your super-accurate clock (which launch isn't going to mess up), plus your target's position, and you can get very, very close.

The CEP probably comes from the shape of the earth (not perfectly spherical) and the model the missile uses to project the target's lat/lon/alt onto a point at which its trajectory must intersect. At 7km/sec, I don't think variations in the atmosphere are going to play too much of a role.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Is there enough parallax to actually get a 3d fix?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
US Stellar-intertial systems supposedly use the Unistar Principle. It hasn't been fully published but here's a discussion about it.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Itchy Itchiford posted:

Yes sir. I'm going to have to check out the McMinnville one as well. It was really cool that we were able to walk right up to the aircraft and actually peek inside.

i remember going there as a kid, so drat cool. i've got a friend who works at evergreen aviation in their offices, she hooked me up with a tour of the aviation museum and their gun room. had a pretty cool fnc if i remember correctly

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Koesj posted:

Uuuuuuugh I already made clear a few posts above on how it is a post-boost phase method of correcting launch point inaccuracies from INS.
Your post basically just described a star fix device, but didn't describing how it was possible to get a 3D fix from star observations in space, which was my real question. There's simply not enough parallax for that. Shimazu had a great point about measuring the angle to the earth's horizon to calculate altitude, though; if altitude is known, then a star fix just might be helpful for more than figuring out which way the missile is pointed. I've seen no indication the earth's horizon was ever used for missile guidance, though- this link (and others) just describe the star fix.

Koesj posted:

US Stellar-intertial systems supposedly use the Unistar Principle. It hasn't been fully published but here's a discussion about it.
Ah, now that's more like it, great link! The rest of the post you quoted from above was interesting, too. If I'm reading that right, though... it's basically saying you can't get an accurate 3D position from a star fix, just attitude, which was my initial thought and why I posed the question. The missile can still use that attitude fix to make minor trajectory adjustments, but it can't give you an accurate missile position. Which means it can't compensate for the sub not knowing exactly where it was when it launched.

That discussion did solve another question raised in this thread, though, which is how 1960s technology put missiles anywhere near the target city: they had to get an accurate position fix no more than 8 hours prior to launch using Loran C, Transit or Omega. All of which either no longer exist or are being phased out since everything is GPS now. INS has certainly improved, though, but still has considerable drift- 1 mile per day according to this site, with other sources claiming as much as 0.6nm/hr even for high-end RLG systems.

grover fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 12, 2013

The Flipperbaby
Jun 21, 2012

Ugh, that HA-1112 looks gross in Luftwaffe colors. There's no excuse unless that's a Battle of Britain film plane or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The Flipperbaby posted:

Ugh, that HA-1112 looks gross in Luftwaffe colors. There's no excuse unless that's a Battle of Britain film plane or something.

I'm about 95% certain it was. Pretty sure I remember Tillamook having one of them.