Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Stare-Out posted:

Sharks? Awesome and also gently caress the ocean in this game. Then again, submersibles. :aaa:

gently caress the ocean? You do know that underwater caves have been confirmed, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Install Gentoo posted:

Here's the complete guide to decisions in GTA IV and what they cause: http://en.wikigta.org/wiki/Storyline_choices_%28GTA_IV%29

Basically almost all of them involve "if you let this guy survive, then you get one additional random character mission out of them".

I think I might be misremembering since it's been about 2 years since I played through the single player, but I thought there was a mission where you found a maid or helpless family member hiding after a shootout and had the option of killing them or not, but I don't see it listed there.

Does anyone else remember this? I can't remember the choice I made, but I assumed there'd be consequences for the killing or not of an innocent person during the mission.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im incredibly let down that calling Brucie for a helicopter lift doesnt result in him extracting you from that specific area youre in. It was going to make that shootout end on an awesome note. :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think I might be misremembering since it's been about 2 years since I played through the single player, but I thought there was a mission where you found a maid or helpless family member hiding after a shootout and had the option of killing them or not, but I don't see it listed there.

Does anyone else remember this? I can't remember the choice I made, but I assumed there'd be consequences for the killing or not of an innocent person during the mission.

I wouldn't doubt that there is a mission like that. But I don't think it counts since they're actually just a background character and thus completely unrelated to the plot.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The closest I can think of is the mission where you have to kill Dwayne's ex's new guy. You have the option of taking the time to kill her or just speeding off to chase the boyfriend. There is no impact on the story beyond Dwayne going "drat, that sucks" when he calls you after the mission.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Avocados posted:

Im incredibly let down that calling Brucie for a helicopter lift doesnt result in him extracting you from that specific area youre in. It was going to make that shootout end on an awesome note. :(
Now I'm starting to speculate and wonder if maybe in V you'll be able to call up one of the other protagonists for that sort of thing. I mean, Trevor's a pilot. Or, hell, switch to the guy and do it yourself, or do things like create a diversion for the cops on the other side of town so another protagonist has a little more leeway with his wanted level for a while.

Actually that sort of thing sounds like it could be a mission structure, now that I think about it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually that sort of thing sounds like it could be a mission structure, now that I think about it.

Pretty sure that was the whole point. You never have to do the boring bits, but it all makes sense that people are good at different things.

I'm interested to see how many of those missions we get. I know it cant be many but if they pull them off it could end up being something really quite special.

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Anticipating the release of GTA5 ! I'm a very big fan of the Grand Theft Auto franchise and have played all of them and enjoyed each one. My personal favorite has to be GTA3.. But I also really enjoyed Vice City. GTA4 was alright, but it was mostly just eye candy for me since I played it on the PC with a ton of mods installed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
GTAIV is a lot more enjoyable the second time around, after you realize how important many of the characters are. You catch all these casual references and things make a lot more sense. It's a shame that it wasn't evident until I finished the main game and the two dlc's. Also kind of of sad but cool at the same time Niko and Johnny are unknowingly working against eachother most of the time, and then when they meet up they're almost buddylike.

I'm on the second playthrough of TLaD and am wondering, what other side missions/activites are there worth doing? I blistered through it the first time and it felt kind of hollow. I did about 30 gang wars this time around and I sort of ran out of new content there. Any cool people worth hanging out with? I'm starting to appreciate this DLC a bit more, just because it's so different from TBoGT and IV. Trying to get the most out of it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I finally picked up GTAIV for PC for :10bux: in the amazon sale, and I've got a beefy computer so I was hoping to play it with ESB and hirez textures and whatnot. After installing from Steam it starts and runs fine, but the internet tells me I need to downgrade to 1.0.4.0 to use ENB. After following instructions to downgrade and doing nothing further (vanilla 1.0.4.0 theoretically), the game will not start- it resizes my primary display to 800x600 and then just sits there at 100% on a core of my i7 until I kill it from task manager. This is on an i7 with a GTX670. My primary monitor is 2560x1440, could it be having issues with that? Any ideas?

In other news, it sounds like a PC version of GTAV might actually happen after all? I've gotta say I was a little upset when I heard that it wasn't going to happen since I owe much of my jaded worldview to lessons learned in my youth from GTA 1/London/2/3. keep london tidy

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

gggiiimmmppp posted:

In other news, it sounds like a PC version of GTAV might actually happen after all? I've gotta say I was a little upset when I heard that it wasn't going to happen since I owe much of my jaded worldview to lessons learned in my youth from GTA 1/London/2/3. keep london tidy

Nobody said it wouldn't happen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Where are you getting your news from where it was said there would never be a PC version and that now there is one confirmed?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Where are you getting your news from where it was said there would never be a PC version and that now there is one confirmed?

I dunno, I heard a few months back that there wasn't going to be a PC release and there was a petition and everything, then I didn't think about it again until today and the first google result is a cautiously optimistic story from this month about how there might maybe be a PC version after all and that 150k people signed a petition about it. It's not something I've put a lot of time into.

I'm mostly just concerned with getting ENB working though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
There was never not going to be a PC version. They don't announce PC versions of any GTA games at the same time as consoles.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I dunno, I heard a few months back that there wasn't going to be a PC release and there was a petition and everything, then I didn't think about it again until today and the first google result is a cautiously optimistic story from this month about how there might maybe be a PC version after all and that 150k people signed a petition about it. It's not something I've put a lot of time into.

I'm mostly just concerned with getting ENB working though.

Rockstar never announces PC versions of GTA games until after the console releases. I guess now we get to hear all about how it was because of some petition that they will release it. I'm pretty sure Take-Two doesn't need a petition to see how many people would buy a PC version and whether or not it's worth funding when they have ACTUAL sales data from GTA4.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

davebo posted:

There was never not going to be a PC version. They don't announce PC versions of any GTA games at the same time as consoles.

But they haven't said anything, that obviously means there'll never be one! :downswords:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
They've never *not* released a GTA for the PC, so I wouldn't worry about it for V. The only reason RDR didn't make it was because it was in EA-levels of development hell forever and the code was a cobbled-together mess that would have been a nightmare (and probably a huge financial loss in the long run) to port over for only a small handful of people that would actually buy it that hadn't played it on a console already.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Wasn't some dumb Microsoft contract leaked which says R* isn't allowed to even talk about a PC version till the exclusivity time runs out or something?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Philip J Fry posted:

They've never *not* released a GTA for the PC

Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, Chinatown Wars.

SEKCobra posted:

Wasn't some dumb Microsoft contract leaked which says R* isn't allowed to even talk about a PC version till the exclusivity time runs out or something?

I thought that was just Episodes for Liberty City since those were Xbox exclusive for the longest time.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Zedicus Mann posted:

Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, Chinatown Wars.

I thought that was just Episodes for Liberty City since those were Xbox exclusive for the longest time.

Eh, those are just spin-offs that were specifically designed for handhelds; they weren't AAA titles by any means.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Philip J Fry posted:

Eh, those are just spin-offs that were specifically designed for handhelds; they weren't AAA titles by any means.

Well, you didn't qualify that :colbert:

VVV Wasn't me :v: VVV

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 26, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Well, you didn't qualify that :colbert:

Well then you forgot to mention GTA Advance. :colbert:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I finally picked up GTAIV for PC for :10bux: in the amazon sale, and I've got a beefy computer so I was hoping to play it with ESB and hirez textures and whatnot. After installing from Steam it starts and runs fine, but the internet tells me I need to downgrade to 1.0.4.0 to use ENB. After following instructions to downgrade and doing nothing further (vanilla 1.0.4.0 theoretically), the game will not start- it resizes my primary display to 800x600 and then just sits there at 100% on a core of my i7 until I kill it from task manager. This is on an i7 with a GTX670. My primary monitor is 2560x1440, could it be having issues with that? Any ideas?

I never downgraded my Steam version and I ran the iCEhancer ENB just fine.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bef posted:

I never downgraded my Steam version and I ran the iCEhancer ENB just fine.

There's a lot of contradictory noise about this but I think the conclusion (I could be wrong) is that icenhancer 2.1 has some support for 1.0.7.0, but not full support. In any case, I just needed to log into the social club. I hadn't bothered with setting up an account yet, since it's ostensibly not required for singleplayer, but for whatever reason 1.0.4.0 wouldn't start without it. I tried icenhancer on a fresh install before I read the readme (which says to downgrade) and it didn't work, but maybe it was just a social club thing too.

In any case, it's running in 1.0.4.0 now and I know that it's fully supported by icenhancer.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 27, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're lucky you didn't play when you had to log into steam, the social club AND games for windows live. Just to start the game, not just for multiplayer.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

You're lucky you didn't play when you had to log into steam, the social club AND games for windows live. Just to start the game, not just for multiplayer.

You don't still have to log into all that?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just steam and gfwl.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Cage posted:

Just steam and gfwl.

Huh. I guess I always logged into Social Club anyway, just for the video editor.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

After screwing up my install twice loving with various ENB packs and going through the whole tedious process of depatching and modding it up again each time, I've cobbled together a patch that you just drop onto a fresh Steam install to handle everything in one fell swoop:
1.) Downgrades to 1.0.4.0, including R* Social Club, for full mod support
2.) Fixes the menu text that gets hosed when you downgrade
3.) iCEnhancer 2.1 (stock)
4.) Lord Neophyte's textures installed on top of Ultimate Textures v2 (I had to do like 35 captchas in a row to download that poo poo last night in 200mb pieces :cry:)

I mostly just put it together for myself but if anyone else is interested I could throw it up on Alluvion or something.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

gggiiimmmppp posted:

After screwing up my install twice loving with various ENB packs and going through the whole tedious process of depatching and modding it up again each time, I've cobbled together a patch that you just drop onto a fresh Steam install to handle everything in one fell swoop:
1.) Downgrades to 1.0.4.0, including R* Social Club, for full mod support
2.) Fixes the menu text that gets hosed when you downgrade
3.) iCEnhancer 2.1 (stock)
4.) Lord Neophyte's textures installed on top of Ultimate Textures v2 (I had to do like 35 captchas in a row to download that poo poo last night in 200mb pieces :cry:)

I mostly just put it together for myself but if anyone else is interested I could throw it up on Alluvion or something.

I'm interested, but I don't know what the textures are and I'd rather have stock textures unless it doesn't mess up my performance!

If you're willing to share, it'll get me to play GTA IV on PC. :)

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I just picked up GTAIV for PC myself last week and I've got a beefy computer so I have no clue how well this would run on lesser hardware. At 2560x1440 GPU-Z tells me I'm using almost 1.5 gigs of VRAM but it still might be totally manageable with 1 gig at 1920x1080 or so. I'd guess that iCEnhancer is more likely to be an issue for your GPU without some downtuning but I could be wrong.

In any case, textures make up most of the patch (which is 5.6 gigs, compressed) but they'd be easy enough to remove for a lite version or something I guess. I have a feeling it's going to turn into a work in progress though; now that the roads, buildings and billboards look great I kinda want to start tossing in trees and cars and whatnot.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I just picked up GTAIV for PC myself last week and I've got a beefy computer so I have no clue how well this would run on lesser hardware. At 2560x1440 GPU-Z tells me I'm using almost 1.5 gigs of VRAM but it still might be totally manageable with 1 gig at 1920x1080 or so. I'd guess that iCEnhancer is more likely to be an issue for your GPU without some downtuning but I could be wrong.

In any case, textures make up most of the patch (which is 5.6 gigs, compressed) but they'd be easy enough to remove for a lite version or something I guess. I have a feeling it's going to turn into a work in progress though; now that the roads, buildings and billboards look great I kinda want to start tossing in trees and cars and whatnot.

If you could just throw the downgrade together with the menu text fix I'd be thrilled. I thought iCEnhancer was another mod tool, not more graphics changes. :P

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
What i'd really like is a GTA 4 mod that just adds random gangs roaming around the city so I could get in fights cause it gets boooooooring as hell.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dave Mustard posted:

What i'd really like is a GTA 4 mod that just adds random gangs roaming around the city so I could get in fights cause it gets boooooooring as hell.

In that case Saints Row 2 might be the game for you :v:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dave Mustard posted:

If you go to Hove Beach or the other thuggy parts of town and punch people the local hoods will show up and start shooting at you is my experience.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

gggiiimmmppp posted:

In that case Saints Row 2 might be the game for you :v:

Doesn't SR2 have a famously bad PC port?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Saints Row 3 is pretty decent and has a decent port.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe its just me but SR 3 didn't really work too well on my computer. It would start okay, but if I'd had it my computer on for more than a day it would chug like hell while most other games would still run fine. Thats aside from SR 3 being generally inferior to 2, from what I've heard.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Doesn't SR2 have a famously bad PC port?

The Gentlemen of the Row program by our own IdolNinja fixes a ton if performance programs and unlocks a ton of cool features, so I would make sure to grab that. The port blows without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

The Gentlemen of the Row program by our own IdolNinja fixes a ton if performance programs and unlocks a ton of cool features, so I would make sure to grab that. The port blows without it.

The port is still awful with it. It does however, make it playable and extremely fun. I personally like the GOTR modded PC version better than the console version, but its nowhere near as good in terms of overall quality. For what it was though, I can't thank Idol Ninja enough for how much awesome he squeezed out of the turd that is SR2 PC.

• Locked thread