Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

The following contest, scheduled for the best three-out-of-five wins is a for a berth in the Smasher League Championship Series.

Marauder's B-Team shouldn't keep winning division titles, but none of the teams I put in the Mark Bellhorn Division seem capable of stepping up their game and taking him out for good. Next season, I'm hoping cbx's team will fill that role but, for the moment, it will be up to Lombard St. Gumshoes to keep Marauder's Frankenstein from making the Smasher League Finals.

In terms of roster construction, the Phoenixes are, oddly enough, the scrappiest of the surviving teams. They don't have much in the way of overwhelming talent, with Gehrig being their only superstar, but they've managed to cobble together a decent enough offense out of spare parts. As for their pitching, well, it gets by.

Chataqua Field
Ithaca, NY

Chataqua Field will host Game 3 and 4 of this series.

The following faithless men have thrown in their lot with the merciless Marauder:

gingemidget (WAL) (3 Games, 3-1)
Senerio (NOW) (3 Games, 1-0)
Armitage (JAC) (4 Games, 7-3)
cbx (DEC) (5 Games, 3-1)
GrickleGrass (MAN) (5 Games, 3-2)
Pander (SAD) (5 Games, 6-5)

The Gumshoes are a team of balance. They don't really have any superstar hitters or pitchers, but they simply stack up enough good players who draw walks that they can usually score enough runs to win. They aren't the most dynamic of teams, as their game is mainly based around grinding down pitchers until they can knock out the starter and feast on the middle relievers, but it's been enough to get them into the playoffs in a relatively comfortable fashion. If such a strategy will work against the Phoenixes who have a more solid bullpen than most teams is unknown.

Bourbon Field
San Francisco, CA

Bourbon Field will host Games 1, 2, and 5 of this series.

The following classy baseball detectives have lined up behind Don Slaught, P.I.:

mooseontheloose (HRV) (3 Games, 6-4)
Monathin (CNT) (4 Games, 4-3)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR) (4 Games, 4-2)
CVE (MDM) (5 Games, 4-1)
Gabriel Pope (OMA) (5 Games, 7-4)
ScottyJSno (LOV) (5 Games, 7-3)
theacox (CER) (5 Games, 6-2)

Game 1

Don May posted:

PHOENIXES UNLEASH HELL ON GUMSHOES, WIN 11-3

San Francisco- One bad play can wreck an entire season.

The Phoenixes had a 2-1 lead in the top of the sixth. That was not great news for the Gumshoes, who did not want to lose the opener at home, but it was manageable. Gehrig and Piazza led off the inning with back-to-back singles, but, again, that was still manageable, as long as the Gumshoes could staunch the bleeding. And when Eddie Plank induced a perfect double play ball to third from Joe Gordon, it appeared as if the Gumshoes might just get out of this mess. But Bobby Grich, not a natural third baseman, bobbled the ball, and all three runners were safe. With that miscue, the composure of the Gumshoes was completely broken and the Phoenixes, now even more confident than before, pounced, piling on nine runs in the inning, and taking an 11-1 lead that the Gumshoes had no real chance of coming back from.

After the game, Detective Don Slaught, the greatest baseball detective in history, gave his own analysis of the game, "Things just didn't add up. Eddie Plank was a great pitching this season, won 20 games, and to see him go down like that? And Bobby Grich? The man was an all-star. And all-stars tend to elevate their game when the stakes are high. No, something stinks, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it, even if it takes me an entire case of Jim Beam to get there."

Eddie Plank angrily denied Slaught's oblique accusations, "Bah! That such a yannigan as Donald Slaught should finger me the scapegoat! Laughable to say the least! When it comes to the pinch, there are not many better at the art of hurling than I and, if one will carefully review the records of this game, I believe they shall, with great celerity and alacrity, find that it was not I, but the bumbling Robert Grich that causing the fatal error that slew our hopes and ambitions. No, I'll tolerate such slander no more!"

This, in turn, led to Grich leaping in to defend himself, "I'm not a drat third baseman, okay? I'm doing my loving best, but I'm not a third baseman. And, for that loving matter, it wasn't me that killed us. I made one error, but Plank had already let two guys get on with singles, and then completely melted down afterwards. Okay, I hosed up, but we were already losing anyway, and most of the runs the Phoenixes scored were earned runs anyway. This was not my fault."

Game 2 will take place tomorrow in San Francisco. Frank Tanana will try and even the series for the Gumshoes while Don Sutton will start for the Phoenixes.

GAME NOTES

-Jim Bunning (R-KY) declared that he opposed the Gumshoes winning this series, as, according to the ex-Senator, "California is a hell of welfare queens and illegal immigrants that trying to pass mandatory gay marriage. drat them all to hell!"

Box Score

Game 2

Don May posted:

GUMSHOES TAKE REVENGE WITH 5-3 WIN, SERIES TIED AT ONE

San Francisco- At least it won't be a sweep.

With a 5-3 win, the Gumshoes tied the series, which will now head to upstate New York for two games.

The Gumshoes finally took the lead thanks to a fielding error by Mike Piazza in the seventh inning that lead to two runs, giving the Gumshoes a 4-3 lead that they would hold onto for the rest of the game.

Breathing a sigh of relief, Archie Goodwin who, it should be mentioned, is not the basketball prospect currently playing for Kentucky, but instead the owner of the Gumshoes, seemed to be feeling quite a bit better about his team's chances, "That was a good win, if not quite as decisive as I would have like. I've got a lot of respect for Marauder, and his team-making skills, but I think it's time for a change in the Smasher League, and since I'm the only owner here who hasn't been around forever, I think that means it's my time to shine. And you know something, I think we just might do it."

Marauder disagreed, "Yes, I'm sure that the Gumshoes must feel good about their win, and, for what it's worth, I'm happy for them. I've swept a fair number of teams in the playoffs, and it always does leave a sour taste in the mouth. After all, when you beat a team like that, the other owner blames the rules of the game, blames the rules of the league, claims that it is all rigged against him. But when he wins a game or two, then he realizes that his defeat is his own fault. He should have made a better team. He should have arranged a better lineup. He should have known the folly of putting Bobby Grich at third base. Yes, this win, in the end, only makes my eventual victory that much more meaningful, because it shows that, from an abstract perspective, the Gumshoes could have beaten me and yet, because of Archie Goodwin's comparative incompetence, they failed. A defeat like this is really just a victory lying in wait."

In other news, Don Slaught continued his investigation, discovering that, in fact, it is illegal to attack a police officer with a switchblade in San Francisco, even if one is sure that the officer is part of an elaborate conspiracy to rig a Super-League playoff series. Don Slaught is excepted to be free on bail by Game 5.

Game 3 will take place in Ithaca. Jose "The Fireballin' Felon" will start for the Gumshoes against the Phoenixes' Curt "Chapter 11" Schilling.

GAME NOTES

-Mike Piazza, through means unknown, somehow served as both his team's DH and Catcher in today's game, racking up eight at-bats in only nine innings as a result. Asked how this could have happened, Mike Piazza explained that, "While I totally never did steroids, or HGH or any of that, I have always been able to split myself into two people, and I admit to using that ability throughout my career to keep myself well-rested at all times. But, as there is no rule against dopplegangers in Major League Baseball, I don't think it should held against me. Dopplegangers are people too, and for too long, society has discriminated against us. Equal rights for doppelgangers today!"

Box Score

Game 3

Don May posted:

FINGERS CONTINUES TRADITION OF FAILURE, GUMSHOES JUST ONE GAME FROM SLCS

Ithaca- Rollie Fingers is nothing if not consistent.

With the game tied at 6-6, Marauder brought in Rollie Fingers, nominally his best reliever, into the game to try and keep things close. Eddie Murray greeted Fingers by launching a huge home run into the center field stands, giving the Gumshoes a 7-6 lead, and managed to scratch another run across the plate on a Mays single. The Phoenixes' offense, more competent than overpowering, was unable to score again in the last two innings, and the Gumshoes took a 2-1 series lead in this best-of-five series, which guarantees them that the Phoenixes would have to beat the Gumshoes one more time in San Francisco in order to move on to the Smasher League Championship Series.

Sadaharu Oh, who hit a double and drove in a run, spoke to reporters after the game...in Japanese. As no translator was available, it was agreed between those media members present that they would simply guess as to what he said, which probably was as follows, "Today was a very important game in this series, and it proved that, because of our superior honor, that we are the true samurais of this league, and that not even an army of giant robots from Marauder can defeat us now. And, even if they did, surely some young man of destiny would awaken the power within and rally us to final victory!"

It is expected that Sadaharu Oh will file some form of defamation lawsuit once someone translates this article for him.

Marauder, for his part, was still confident, "I am not going to lose this series. You know that, I know that. It wastes both of our time to pretend that it is something it isn't. My victory has been delayed, not denied. The Gumshoes are already dead, they just don't know it yet."

Don Slaught, meanwhile, sent in the following missive:

"Dear Don May,

This thing is deeper than anyone thought. After weeks of careful investigation, I found the terrible truth: The prostitute didn't die of an overdose of morphine, she was murdered. I had to blackmail the coroner to get that information, but it checks out. Even worse, it looks like the city council is behind it, and have been part of some sort of sick people-hunting club for years, and they're willing to kill to protect their secret.

I plan on infiltrating the mansion where they hold their meetings tonight, and things could get dicey. I almost got killed earlier today when someone put a carbomb in my Model A, and blew it to pieces. I'm worried that I might not make it out alive, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to try and take some of those bastards out with me.

Your pal,

Don Slaught

P.S. Please tell Archie Goodwin that if I am hunted for sport, I will probably not be able to serve as backup catcher."

Game 4 will take place in Ithaca, Nolan Ryan will attempt to close things out for the Gumshoes while Red Ruffing tries to keep the Phoenixes alive.

GAME NOTES

-Rollie Fingers is said to be so numb to the pain of blowing postseason games by this point that he did not even have a reaction to the loss, simply going to his locker, pulling out a six-pack of beers, and then mechanically drinking them all in less than ten minutes.

-Bobby Grich still has more errors than hits in this series.

-YOUR MESSAGE COULD BE HERE! CONTACT SMASHER DYNAMO FOR MORE DETAILS!

Box Score

Game 4

Don May posted:

PHOENIXES NIX GUMSHOE WIN WITH 4-3 DECISION

Ithaca- Marauder wasn't going to let the Gumshoes get away that easy.

With their backs against the wall, the Phoenixes were able to hold onto a 4-3 win today, even surviving a mini-Rollie Fingers meltdown that let the Gumshoes get within one during the ninth inning. And, with that win, the Gumshoes will now have to return to San Francisco to face the Phoenixes in a decisive Game 7, with the winner going on to the Smasher League Championship Series against the South Bolton Eazy W's, and the loser fated to be mildly disappointed in their team.

The decisive moment happened late, when the Phoenixes were able to score one run each in the seventh and eighth inning to get a small lead over the Gumshoes that proved the difference.

Archie Goodwin predicted that his team would win Game 5, "Eddie Plank is a drat fine pitcher, the best one we have, and I'm sure that he will rise to the occasion and get us to the promised land. It's just like American hero John Calipari once said...well, I think that quote was actually vacated as the result of NCAA sanctions, but I'm sure it was pretty moving!"

Marauder had his own theory on Game 5, "We beat Eddie Plank once, why can't we do it again? Is Eddie Plank suddenly a different pitcher? Are our hitters suddenly different hitters? While statistical variation exists, our victory over Plank in Game 1 was so enormous that it is clear to me that the chances of us winning are similarly large. I know that many of you, if not most of you, would like to see me lose this series. My team is not exciting, and you think that I, as a character, an owner, a personality, am tired and overexposed. While I do not personally watch the quasi-sport you call professional wrestling, I understand that many of you have been comparing me to some named John Cenot, or something to that effect, complaining that my domination of the league is similarly bad for business. I myself have a nuanced response to such assertions: Too damned bad."

Game 5 will pit a rematch of the starters from Game 1, Eddie Plank for the Gumshoes against Jim Bunning of the Phoenixes.

GAME NOTES

-Ernie Lombardi, one of the slowest men in baseball history, somehow hit a double today. Harold Baines really is a born DH.

Box Score

Game 5

Don May posted:

ANTI-CLIMAX! PHOENIXES END SERIES WITH 14-3 ROUT

San Francisco- This was not an exciting game.

The Phoenixes scored one run in the first inning, and that was not the best start for the Gumshoes. And then they scored six more runs over the next two innings, giving the Phoenixes a 7-0 lead that effectively ended the series before the Gumshoes fans, at least those who did not pre-game, even had a chance to get drunk. Of course, given how badly the Gumshoes lost this game, they definitely had both time and cause to become inebriated after the rout was on.

Archie Goodwin was philosophical about the loss, "Sometimes, things just happen, and everything goes wrong. And, when that happens, you just kind of get angry at the world, and hate everything, because it feels like no matter what you try, the universe won't let you get ahead at all, and that you're going to spend your entire loving life as a loser, with no hope that anything is ever going to change. God, I hate my life so loving much. Hey, whatever happened to Don Slaught?"

To answer Archie's question, he was last seen being pursued by the corrupt City Council of San Francisco as a result of his investigation into their alleged hunting of other human beings.

Still, with this dominant win, the Finger Lakes Phoenixes moved on to the Smasher League Championship Series for the second straight season. Last season, they lost a brief and brutal series to the since-departed Chicago Bobbleheads. This season, they will face another original Super-League franchise in the form of the South Bolton Eazy W's, who swept the Landers in their first-round series. Marauder had some words about his upcoming opponent, "The W's? The greatest underachievers in Super-League history? I must say, it takes considerable skill to leverage Babe Ruth into seven seasons of failure, but they have done the impossible. How are they going to defeat my team? Is Eri Yoshida going to stop us? Is The Chosen Dunn going to beat us into submission? Is the Sainted Mark Bellhorn going to somehow magically turn our dreams into dust? No, they will not, because the W's are not a team, they are a collection of jokes that have long grown tiresome. The playoffs are no time for jokes, and they are no time for 'characters'. The playoffs are where men like me, men who use their intellect and cunning to assemble the best teams get their glory. The W's never deserve to, nor will advance any further. That much I guarantee. And, what's more-"

Marauder was interrupted by the form of Mark Bellhorn, who seemingly appeared out of nowhere to assault the Phoenixes' owner, viciously striking the man while screaming out, "drat you, Marauder, you have taken so much, and I will not let you take any more! I will kill you Marauder, I will kill you! For the Unicorns and the Vigilantes, and for the rest! Your reign of villainy ends today!" Bellhorn was later pulled off the bloody and dazed Marauder.

The W's-Phoenixes series for the Smasher League Championship is currently scheduled to take place on Thursday.

Box Score

Updated Playoff Bracket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

OK, yes, I'm mildly disappointed in my team, but check out that sexy banner! Nice, yeah? Thanks, gingemidget and Smasher!

At least Det. Don Slaught didn't let me down, hitting .385 with an inevitable error and providing a fun narrative. Poor Robert Grich and his three errors, along with the error I will blame on him from Al Dark, his defensive replacement, well...that's another matter.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

poo poo, I got crushed by Marauder in the division series, and I didn't even get a banner!

Good season, though, we really turned it around from the shitshow that was the first six weeks or so.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Warm Sarsaparilla posted:

poo poo, I got crushed by Marauder in the division series, and I didn't even get a banner!

Good season, though, we really turned it around from the shitshow that was the first six weeks or so.

You won an Expansion Cup, you got your danged banner :argh:

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Fair point. Smasher, can I have the Deadwood Expansion champs banner added? After all, there is only one Coburn.

And I have a player from the Cutthroats on the Coburns! Tom HEN-KE yet holds the shotglass high.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
mentholmoose's unofficial Expansion Cup advice post, which is mostly just random thoughts on each team in the expansion class, along with a couple players from your feeder teams to consider that you might have missed. There's a mock draft at the bottom, too, with some caveats, though.

Players from the Albany Pessimists, Cuba Smokers, New England Arguments, Cleveland Commies, Florida Oranges, and Spokane Air Raids will be available in the dispersal draft.

Some general advice for all owners, though: there are a couple players you should pick no matter what position you need. In this draft, it'll likely be Johnson, Alexander, the Bonds brothers, and Williams. These are the types of player you make room for on your team, even if you have to trade somebody to do it. Second, for the most part, pick starting pitchers ahead of relievers. You can move your bad starters over to middle and long relief without it affecting them too much; in fact, it might actually help. I'd say any starting pitcher past Derek Lowe probably won't help most teams relative to what they currently have.

Your team is so hosed. Your lineup in the last Expansion Cup post I can find is also hosed, unless you put Willie Stargell at shortstop willingly, in which case I suggest checking in to a mental health facility.

That said, you need a lot of new hitters, along with new pitchers. Hernandez, Stargell, Clemente, and Hrbek should be alright, if not great. Aside from Otis, I haven't even heard of the rest of your hitters, which can't be good. Look for middle infielders and catchers on the hitting side of things in the draft. On the pitching, Jesse Orosco is a pretty good pitcher and everyone else basically isn't. Gooden would be a good #4.

Actually, just take Ted Williams or Walter Johnson first overall and worry about the rest of your team in the later rounds.

People to Look at on Your Feeder Teams:
Dock Ellis - SP, 1971 Pirates
Rusty Staub - 1B, 1984 Mets

That pitching is absolutely horrendous. You might even say, it's a catastrophe.

Sorry.

Anyways, three picks might not be enough to fix your team. You'll get another two in the Super-Draft to plug a couple holes, but by then it might be too late. ToiletofSadness covered most of it in his post, but you'll want a new catcher and likely a third baseman also. Even at his young age in 1995, I doubt Jim Thome will be a good 3B, but he should do well at first.

Orel Hershiser - SP, 1995 Indians (if you haven't traded him, I don't remember for sure)
Ruben Amaro Jr. - UT, 1995 Indians (don't actually do this)
Paul O'Neill - RF, 1987 Reds

Nice team. Pitching, both bullpen and starting, could be an issue in the Super League, though. As is your shortstop, although that's an issue for a lot of teams. Nap Lajoie could work as DH if you move Ruth into right, which would remove Joe Adcock from the lineup. I'm also not sure young Eddie Mathews is the solution at third, but there are many worse players playing third in the SL.

Walker Cooper - C, 1953 Braves
Bob Shawkey/Herb Pennock - SP, You've got two of each on the Yankees and Athletics, so whichever team you didn't pluck them from already

A really drat good team, probably the best in this EC. I don't know how Pete Fox was that successful, but he almost assuredly won't be in the SL. Neither will Rube Marquard, and Christy Mathewson's age is something to worry about. So is the left side of your infield.

Every player I thought you should take a look at is already on your roster. Maybe Masanori Murakami, off the '65 Giants, although I'm not sure his ridiculously high strikeout rates would make up for his really short career in the Mogul ratings.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE MOOSE IN THE SUPER LEAGUE!

As I have no doubt I'll be relegated, there's nothing to worry about. If by some miracle I'm not, I'll do my best to relegate your team.

Catching is a likely issue for your team. Ted Simmons is an alright backup, but I don't think he should be the only catcher on your roster. Center field and shortstop are also pretty big issues, as is the bottom half of your rotation and your bullpen. Andy van Slyke is injured, but on the whole he's probably not much more than a 4th outfielder.

John Denny - SP, 1979 Cardinals

Looking over the remaining feeder teams, I likely would have chosen most of the teams you did; unfortunately there weren't a lot of good teams remaining in the pool, and I think you've made the best of what you were given.

I'm not sure why Pete Alexander and Al Kaline are in your minor leagues, but they really should be starting. Aside from Hornsby and Helton, your infield really needs work, and Harvey Kuenn should be near the bottom of the lineup. Cesar Cedeno is not likely the solution in center, either. For your rotation, Alexander-Bunning-Richard-Dierker-Lary isn't great but - with a pick used on a starting pitcher - could be alright. Your bullpen could use work, too, because most of those guys won't repeat their success.

Chick Hafey - OF, 1926 Cardinals (:swoon:)
Joe Niekro - RP, 1976 Astros
Justin Speier - RP, 2003 Rockies

Draft both Kevin Brown's. With a rotation of Blyleven-Brown-Brown-Brown-Mussina, how could you lose?

I really like this team. You've got good hitters at most positions, an alright starting rotation, and three good relievers. Killebrew should obviously be starting instead of Frank Howard. Ken McMullen should be fired into the sun in favor of Delgado or Oliva. You could use more relievers, and Chris Hoiles is probably better suited to being a backup, but otherwise I think your team will do alright.

Hoyt Wilhelm - RP, 1968 White Sox
Jim Corsi - RP, 1993 Marlins
Andy van Slyke - OF, 1995 Orioles
Jamie Moyer - SP, 1995 Orioles
Jesse Orosco - RP, 1995 Orioles
Pedro Martinez - SP, 2008 Mets

A team based mostly on the Cubs has nowhere to go but relegation.

Maddux should be very good, but aside from him you have 4 #4 starters on your team. Your bullpen, however should do alright-ish. The real problem lies with your offense. You need another shortstop, a catcher to go with Molina - Gillespie and Girardi should not be on your team - and another outfielder. Mark Grace should start instead of Scott Spiezio.

Lon Warneke - SP, 1945 Cubs

Old Rickey Henderson probably won't do well as a starter. I don't know what the deal with A-Rod was, though. Maybe he didn't have his PED's. Luckily, the SL is full of them, so he should do alright. Your lineup is pretty good otherwise, although I don't know if Robin Ventura or Julio Franco will be anywhere near as successful in the SL.

Your pitching, on the other hand, could use some work. Nolan Ryan is 43 and unlikely to be anywhere near as successful in the future. Take my advice that a pitcher that old is a disaster waiting to happen. You could also use a reliever or two.

If you think Edgar Martinez can play third in '96, try moving him there and putting Olerud in as DH.

Juan Gonzalez - OF, 1990 Rangers
Harold Baines - DH, 1990 Rangers
Michael Jackson - RP, 1996 Mariners
Vladimir Guerrero - DH, 2011 Orioles
Jim Johnson - RP, 2011 Orioles

I'm not really sure what to write about your team, except that they must be in a pitchers park. Contrary to Grinnblade's thoughts, I think Brian Downing is one of your only acceptable hitters, although that's mostly due to his heroic actions to help eliminate the Woodchucks. Frank Chance, Sam Crawford, and Frank Baker will be OK, but not good. Jim Kaat should be back in the majors for the start of the SL, and Shocker should be in long relief, though I suspect you already know that. Gossage is your only good reliever.

Chet Lemon - CF, 1975 White Sox

The best of the Red Sox on a three-CD set! But holy poo poo, get a better catcher.

The most feared hitter in the game doesn't seem to be feared by Super League pitchers, along with Dwight Evans, mostly because by 1989 they're pretty old. Your outfield in general needs help, and I don't think that Pesky will do quite as well in the future, but with Bobby Doerr healthy he should be on the bench anyway.

Reggie Smith might rebound in the SL, though. He is a borderline Hall of Famer in my opinion.

Bruce Hurst is not a number two starter, and the Spaceman couldn't strike anyone out. You need starting pitching and bullpen help. Lyle and Smith should be good, but the rest of your bullpen is not good.

Nobody jumps out at me that would provide any help for any of your problems.

You're one of the few teams in this expansion class with a bullpen that's close to reliable. I would expect a rebound from Tom Henke, but Paul Quantrill should probably be replaced.

God help you if you believe Mysterious Walker will work out. Replace him in the draft and your rotation should be OK. David Wells is also a disaster waiting to happen. I'd arrange it ???-Mussina-Stieb-Key-Wells, although you'll want to keep an eye on both Mussina and Wells as the season goes on.

The offense should be fine, although, as is the case with most teams, you're definitely going to need a better catcher. Neither Borders nor Posada are quality starters.

Again, nobody really jumps out at me.

Tanking for a higher draft pick? This is treachery in its highest form!

At least it worked.

Even with Jim Palmer and Mordecai Brown at the top of your rotation I still think you need another starting pitcher.

And your offense isn't that great either. Tulowitzki and Konerko are alright bench bats but probably shouldn't start. In my limited experience, BBM really doesn't like Reggie Jackson either. Old Brooks Robinson will definitely not work at third.

Matt Thornton - RP, 2004 Mariners
Jason Giambi - 1B, 2012 Rockies

Your pitching staff is a nightmare. Whitey Ford and Lon Warneke are literally the only pitchers on your team who might have success in the Super League. I know you and Mornacale aren't high on Whitey Ford, but you're new at this and Mornacale's got vision issues after staying in his mother's basement for too long.

On the offense side of things, you might be alright, although you'll need better infielders. I'm not sure if this is what you're doing right now, but unless you draft a better hitter to move somebody to DH, you should just platoon Berra and Cooper at C and start whoever's not at C at DH.

I'm also kind of mystified by your choice of the 2004 Expos. There is quite possibly literally nobody of value there.

Enos Slaughter - RF, 1954 Yankees

You're one high quality starter and two relievers short of a good pitching staff.

Bronson Arroyo. What the gently caress?

You also need better infielder's, and you need to move Rickey Henderson over to left. I tried Rickey Henderson in center, and it didn't end well. Oh, and have him lead off. Adam Dunn will likely do much better in the Super League, though it still won't be great. Put Griffey in center, Henderson in left, and Dunn at DH.

Draft another C, SS, and SP with your three picks. Wait, you traded one for Buddy Bell?

Jay Buhner - RF, 1987 Yankees
Willie Randolph - 2B, 1990 Dodgers

Hell of an offense you've got, although a lot of it is due to really old Eddie Collins and Ty Cobb, who will likely regress. George Sisler is also definitely not going to do well, and your defense leaves a bit to be desired. Also, with Downing and Cochrane on your roster you shouldn't need Jim Sundberg.

Old as gently caress Don Sutton is also not going to do well. I'd say go after a good defensive SS and two starters in the draft. And start Bobby Grich.

Eddie Rommel - SP, 1927 Athletics
Zack Wheat - OF, 1927 Athletics
Rube Walberg - SP, 1927 Athletics
Charlie Hough - SP, 1982 Rangers

And now, for the part that you've all been waiting for a few of you were mildly anticipating, the mock draft!

Keep in mind this doesn't have the yet to be determined sandwich picks in it yet. Last season there was also a supplementary round for every team in the SL. I might do another mock when the official order with all the sandwich picks/supplementary order comes out, but this should do for now.

One quick observation as well: for whatever reason, this draft pool seems much deeper than the one after EC VII.

First Round
1) Brooklyn BABiPs select '57 Ted Williams
So continues the tradition of Ted Williams on really bad teams.

2) Patagonian Postmodernists select '17 Walter Johnson
The Postmodernists rotation of Johnson-Brown-Palmer-Nomo-Chacin is still one starter short, but this is progress.

3) Canton Catastrophes select '86 Roger Clemens
The Catastrophes avoid Pete Alexander because Clemens' high strikeout rates will help get around the Catastrophes bad defense.

4) Sad Pandas select '22 Pete Alexander
I think your defense will let Alexander thrive.

Well, that might be exaggerating it, but it's still better than the Catastrophes.

5) Lovable Losers select '89 Barry Bonds
Younger Bonds is better in Mogul than older Bonds.

6) Million Dollar Men select '00 Barry Bonds
Bonds will be a much better hitter in left field than George Stone, though given the state of your offense, I wouldn't bench Stone if I were you.

7) Harvard Elites select '62 Willie Mays
The best center fielder ever will give you a great outfield.

8) Miami Manatees select '95 Roger Clemens
Clemens will knock Kenny Rogers out of the rotation.

9) Idaho Potatoes select '64 Mickey Mantle
The man with the .294 OBA should not be in the lineup, let alone lead off, even if he does have 41 stolen bases.

10) Walney Rakers select '27 Lefty Grove
One '27 Lefty Grove isn't enough, so get two!

11) Jacksonville Jobbers select '96 Kevin Brown
The Brown to Brown connection!

12) Tijuana Mules select '34 Gabby Hartnett
Hartnett takes over the catching duties for the Mules, while David Ross is sent to a wonderful farm where all the catchers can laugh and play together forever.

13) Omaha Forgettables select '27 Mickey Cochrane
Some advice to whoever chose the '27 Athletics as a feeder team again: I'm not sure choosing the same feeder teams over and over again will work out. Eventually, all we'll have in the draft pool is 1927 Lefty Grove and 1927 Mickey Cochrane.

14) Nowhere Men select '34 Mel Ott
Despite playing in hated New York City, Mel Ott will do just fine in right field. He can theoretically play third, too, in case Wade Boggs is injured.

15) CERN Colliders select '97 Nomar Garciaparra
NOMAH!

16) Detroit Cougars select '77 George Brett
I know you were mad about having the last pick in the draft and not even getting to the EC finals, but I think you'll be OK with getting George Brett.

Second Round
17) Brooklyn BABiPs select '97 Kevin Brown
He'll help, but you're still not anywhere near a competent team yet.

18) Patagonian Postmodernists select '04 Chipper Jones
Jones is the answer at third.

19) Canton Catastrophes select '07 Albert Pujols
Thome won't work well at third, but the addition of Pujols' bat will more than make up for the switch.

20) Sad Pandas select '05 Nap Lajoie
I don't get how Jose Vidro was so good in the Expansion Cup. Don't expect him to be in the SL and draft Lajoie to lead off at 2B.

21) Lovable Losers select '51 Whitey Ford
Maddux and Ford will be a good 1-2, although you'll want to draft the best bat you can in the third round.

22) Million Dollar Men select '69 Joe Morgan
Anything that removes Jorge Orta from your lineup is good, and Morgan not only does that, but is a really good hitter as well.

23) Harvard Elites select '86 Alan Trammell
Shortstop was a really weak position in this draft, but Trammell should be good.

24) Miami Manatees select '06 Roy Halladay
Johnson-Clemens-Brown-Martinez-Halladay? Yeah, that works. Put Nolan Ryan in long relief, and old Jamie Moyer in the minors.

25) Idaho Potatoes select '34 Carl Hubbell
Alexander and Hubbell should be alright at the top of your rotation. Bunning, depending how he rolls, should be third.

26) Walney Rakers select '12 Albert Pujols
George Sisler, be gone!

27) Jacksonville Jobbers select '06 Joe Mauer
Platooning him and Hoiles at C could help Hoiles numbers and give both of your catchers some days rest.

28) Tijuana Mules select '64 Whitey Ford
Rich Aurilia is possibly better than all of the remaining shortstops. That is an issue you might want to wait until the Super-Draft to fix.

29) Omaha Forgettables select '04 John Smoltz
Probably limited to a reliever, but he should be good at it.

30) Nowhere Men select '86 Mickey Tettleton
I'm running out of things to say, so have this:

BB-Ref says his nickname is Fruit Loops.

31) CERN Colliders select '51 Robin Roberts
One of the best pitchers in Phillies history, which says a lot about the Phillies.

32) Detroit Cougars select '64 Roberto Clemente
I still have no idea how Pete Fox was that good. Clemente, however, has a much better chance of remaining that good.

Third Round
33) Brooklyn BABiPs select '89 Mark McGwire
The best hitter remaining on a team starved for hitting. You're still going to get relegated.

34) Patagonian Postmodernists select '69 Ron Santo
Brooks Robinson is good to have off the bench, but Santo should start full time.

35) Canton Catastrophes select '12 Stephen Strasburg
Strasburg is another high strikeout starter that won't get ruined by your defense. Wait to fix catching until the Super-Draft because that isn't your biggest issue.

36) Sad Pandas select '97 Bret Saberhagen
Kind of old, but he was drat good.

37) Lovable Losers select '86 Mark McGwire
The best bat remaining.

38) Million Dollar Men select '64 Willie Stargell
He has the power your team so desperately needs.

39) Harvard Elites select '11 Cliff Lee
Pitching will probably help your team more than whatever bat you could get at this point in the draft.

40) Miami Manatees select '84 Dennis Eckersley
The first real reliever selected was a starter in 1984. Don't use him as a starter.

41) Idaho Potatoes select '89 Matt Williams
Third base is likely one of those positions you'll want to fix for real during the Super-Draft. Williams should be a good stop-gap.

42) Walney Rakers select '92 Ozzie Smith
Hey, he can play defense!

43) Jacksonville Jobbers select '04 Billy Wagner
Two Billy Wagner's and two Kevin Brown's.

44) Walney Rakers select '18 Bob Shawkey
I bet the Mules wish they still had this pick instead of Buddy Bell.

45) Omaha Forgettables select '86 Jose Rijo
Your rotation seems a bit lefty-heavy, which wouldn't be an issue if they were great left-handers, but they aren't.

46) Nowhere Men select '04 Ichiro Suzuki
ICHIRO!

Also, Mel Ott at DH, Ted Williams in left.

47) CERN Colliders select '96 Robb Nen
Or any Robb Nen, really.

48) Detroit Cougars select '05 Andy Pettitte
I'm out of ideas. That took way too long.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 11, 2013

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I am very surprised. Apparently my middle infield of two second basemen is hell on deadballers who pitch to contact. Love the Ernie Lombardi triple. Great writeups, Smasher.

Good for you taking some pressure off of Smasher, menthol.

mentholmoose posted:

I'm also kind of mystified by your choice of the 2004 Expos. There is quite possibly literally nobody of value there.

How could you dismiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZSmQgqsUqk

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mentholmoose posted:

15) CERN Colliders select '97 Nomar Garciaparra
NOMAH!

Please Don't spend a first round pick on Nomar. Please.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

mks5000 posted:

Please Don't spend a first round pick on Nomar. Please.

Yeah I saw that and was all :stare:, but that was only my initial reaction and I will do some diligence on that...

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I'm just going to say that the Colliders take advantage of a bad pool of shortstops in the draft to fill a position of need.

Also this is the first time I've done one of these things. If that's the biggest issue with it then I'm happy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Thought vidro, Johnson, cordero, rauch, ayala, and downs would be a nice group. Oops.

I'm surprised vidro did so well, better than so many HoFs. Id like to hope he can be competent. I'd almost rather draft a good 3B and put mcdonald at 2nd more often. I think Johnson might actually stick as a platoon half, 1b or dh.

The expos bullpen selection...that's my failure to "get" bbm, I think. Not worth the point.

I didn't pay any attenton to defense when drafting. What's a good way to gauge def, especially per bbm? I mostly used bbref d-war by pos as a rough guide. Put Johnson at 1B and couldn't tell if he did any worse than moose or hopp. Hate to find out it's awful and draft deadballers.

Also: why the gently caress are the 42 cards starters so awful?

Great writeup btw!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

mentholmoose posted:

I'm just going to say that the Colliders take advantage of a bad pool of shortstops in the draft to fill a position of need.

Also this is the first time I've done one of these things. If that's the biggest issue with it then I'm happy.

Yeah, I'm sure that my middle infield situation is bordering on SL disaster and I could use some BP help. I would be dumb if I weren't looking at trade possibilities....

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
The Pick'em United Can Never Be Defeated
Pick TWO!
Burma Imperialists
Florida Dickshots
Rochester Generics
San Juan Elephants

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

My entire starting lineup gets drafted :allears:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

The Imperialists and the Generics have been on a long journey together, but every journey has its end. Is this the round that the Burma/Rochester duo gets broken up? Or do they still have more in the tank? What did you guys think?

Burma Imperialists

Armitage (JAC)
cbx (DEC)
CVE (MDM)
gingemidget (WAL)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
Monathin (CNT)
mooseontheloose (HRV)
NotThatSamBeckett (PAR)
Pander (SAD)
ScottyJSno (LOV)
Senerio (NOW)
theacox (CER)

Florida Dickshots

NotThatSamBeckett (PAR)
ScottyJSno (LOV)
theacox (CER)

Rochester Generics

CVE (MDM)
Monathin (CNT)
Senerio (NOW)

San Juan Elephants

Armitage (JAC)
cbx (DEC)
gingemidget (WAL)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
mooseontheloose (HRV)
Pander (SAD)

You all agree that the Imperialists are locks to advance, but it appears that most of you have lost faith in the Generics, with only three out of twelve of you picking them to see another sunrise. Is this the end of Rochester?

Results!

NO! Rochester can never, ever die! Imperialists and Generics advance again!

Just killing time until the money rounds.

Monicro, you're a good guy, but the Dickshots were just a lousy team. Your next team will be better...especially if you don't locate it in Florida.

YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DIE!!!!

By which I mean you were almost certainly going to die going into the last part of this round, when you went 11-3 to survive AND break tatankatonk's heart into a million pieces.

The Elephants were cruising until they ran into the Generics, and somehow completely fell apart. It was the damnedest thing, really, it was as if the universe refused to bend to my will and killed your team instead of the Generics. Times like this, I almost wish I did rig the results, because your team deserved more life, but that's no way to run a league. No way at all.

Pick 'em: The Will and the Way
Pick TWO
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes
Portland Bulldogs
Rochester Generics

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Yes, yes, I'm history's greatest monster, etc.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Florida...where pro sports simply should not be.

Owner: Monicro
Home Grounds: Johnson Stadium

Teams Used
1946 New York Giants
1967 Chicago Cubs
1981 Montreal Expos
1983 Baltimore Orioles

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
72-91, 4th Place, Sub-Tropicals Division
Super-League VIII
73-89, 4th Place, Vae Victis Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VII
Round 4: 18-22, 4th Place, Relegated

Championship History
1x Intercontinental Champions

Obituary

Monicro only had 46 minutes to save his team. The Dickshots had blown it big time in the Gauntlet, Monicro couldn't deny that, but there had to be something he could, some angle he could take before Smasher Dynamo dissolved his team for good.

Setting back in his chair, Monicro began to brood. How had it come to this, anyway? Joss. He thought. If only Joss hadn't been injured, I could have entered later in the Gauntlet when someone had already taken out the Generics. They were the ones that did this to me, them and that damned immortality. Of course, the Generics weren't really immortal. Not even close, but they were going to move on to the next round, and his Dickshots weren't. Not unless Monicro could think of something, anything to save his team.

Could I buy off Smasher? Now this was a longshot. Maybe offer to do something for the thread. Monicro thought about that for a minute, and then realized that it would never work. After all, gingemidget had made all of those banners, and Smasher relegated him, and cbx had run the Expansion Cup one year, and that hadn't stopped him from losing roughly a hundred teams to the Gauntlet. No, Smasher was simply not a man that Monicro had the means to bribe.

How had this happened? Was it his lineup? It must have Andre Dawson. Monicro needed to find a scapegoat before his time was up. Yes, it was Dawson's fault! If only he had been able to draw a walk or hit for contact, then maybe his offense wouldn't have been so stagnant. Maybe they could have kept afloat in the Vae Victis Division! It was a nice thought, but he knew he was lying to himself. He didn't play Dawson because he thought Dawson would be good, or even adequate, he put Dawson out there because Dawson was the only real center fielder that he had. It wasn't Dawson's fault that he was out there, it was Monicro's. He was the one who built the roster. He was the one who gave himself no backup, and didn't draft a replacement in the Super-Draft.

How much time left? Thirty-six minutes? drat. There's just not enough time. Looking over the fatal Gauntlet results, Monicro tried looking for anything he could use to challenge the validity of the Gauntlet round. But, no, the results looked clean. Smasher had even put Lefty O'Doul at DH, even though it really hadn't done the team any good at all. Then again, looking at the stats, O'Doul wasn't the big problem.

Robin Yount, Eddie Murray, Ron Santo and Andre Dawson had all managed to post OBPs under .300, a mark often considered the OBP equivalent of the Mendoza line. Monicro felt like he shouldn't have been that surprised. Santo had been up and down in the Super-League, sometimes adequate, sometimes disastrous. The Generics had never used him for that very reason. Those loving Generics. If they had only had the decency to die, then the Dickshots might still be alive. No. It wasn't over yet, Monicro still had...thirty minutes to figure this out.

What about the rest? Murray? Never considered all that great in real life, and was even worse in the Super-League, where competence usually wasn't good enough. Would old Mize have been better? Or old Banks? It's hard to say that they would have been better. Murray was rated over ten points higher. No, Monicro had to go with Murray, he had no choice!

And Yount? Okay, Yount was a mistake, maybe. But, again, what choice did Monicro have? Ozzie Smith couldn't hit. Never could. Hell, no one would even remember him nowadays if he hadn't been on the Simpsons. And Odell Hale wasn't even a shortstop. Monicro had done what he needed to do! It wasn't his fault that all of his players had failed him, it must have been someone else's! He had done everything right! He deserved to keep going!

Yes, if Monicro could just show Smasher that one of the other teams had somehow cheated, then maybe Smasher would kill that team, and spare the Dickshots. After all, Smasher could be plenty vengeful when he had to be. Now, let's see, who could have cheated? The Imperialists? No, that wasn't likely to get much traction. Everyone thought that they would win this round, and trying to claim that the prohibitive favorite was a cheater? That was going to be an uphill battle, especially when there was no time...wait...wait...Dihigo and Smith! Those Negro League players had some anomalously high ratings! Maybe Smasher could look into...no, Smasher was the one who assigned those ratings. That wasn't going to go anywhere.

Twenty-two minutes? drat! Monicro hadn't figured out anything yet.

Okay, who else was in the round? The Elephants? They lost. Hard to say that the Dickshots should live because the other losing team lost. But, then again, the Generics only won because they won 11 games against the Elephants in the last phase of the round. Was there someway he could prove that the Elephants had taken a dive? After all, tatankatonk had tried to quit in the middle of the season to give all of his best players to Mornacale, so who's to say that he hadn't made another corrupt deal?

But Monicro had no proof, and with only...seventeen minutes left, there wasn't exactly time to forge any sort of documents, even if Monicro knew how to do that in the first place.

No, Monicro was missing the point, he knew that now. The only way his team would live is if he could somehow kill the Generics. But how? No evidence they cheated. They just got lucky...again. Why a team that bad should get that much luck was beyond Monicro. One would hope that the universe would punish an owner dumb enough to trade Barry Bonds for Chick Hafey, and yet there the Generics stood, safe for another round while the Dickshots were dying! Dying! Only ten minutes left now! Think! There had to be something he could do.

Think. Think! THINK!

No time left. drat it all.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Pick TWO
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Pick 'Em
Burma & Dubai

Poor, poor Elephants. Let us never forget.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Pick TWO
Dubai Dervishes
Rochester Generics

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Pick TWO
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes

Portland Bulldogs
Rochester Generics

mentholmoose posted:

44) Walney Rakers select '18 Bob Shawkey
I bet the Mules wish they still had this pick instead of Buddy Bell.

If this ends up being my pick, the back end of my rotation is going to start looking rather familiar (though hopefully it won't be made out of papier-mâché this time).

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick TWO
Burma Imperialists
Rochester Generics

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Pick 'em
Totaly random...

Dubai Dervishes
Portland Bulldogs

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Jacksonville is going with Dubai and Burma!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick TWO
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes
Portland Bulldogs
Rochester Generics

Into the ground, I said!

Burma and Rochester!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Pick TWO

Burma Imperialists

Portland Bulldogs

Can't root against any team with the 1984 Tigers.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Cthulhu's 'If I won the EC, I would wish for' Effort Post

The EC prize is a player who hasn't played in the SL yet, so I thought I'd put some thoughts down to help the owners. This was going to be longer, but I have instead highlighted a few players that I think are good!

From Glorious Nippon

Katsuya Nomura, Catcher

Probably the most durable catcher to ever play baseball, managing a 26 year career with almost all of his games at catcher, and he posted really hot numbers while doing it. A great choice behind the dish, especially as Mogul doesn't know he doesn't speak English. His Japanese league numbers:

code:
AB  	Runs	 Hits	  HR	  RBI	   SB	   BB	  Avg	  Slg
10472	1509	2901	657	1988	-	1252	.277	.508
Obviously his career OPS of ~.880 wouldn't survive contact with major league pitching, let alone Super League pitching, but that's pretty good. If he was playing in the Majors instead of in Japan, best estimates have him winning between 10 and 12 All Star Awards, and he's the best catcher in the bigs over Joe Torre 6 times, just from an offensive perspective and Joe was not a great defender. Comparing him to major league hitters is very difficult. If he played in MLB he'd have more total bases than any other catcher, and in terms of career value he blitzes the pack because he played for sooooo long.

Shigeo Nagashima, Third Base

Hit third in front of Sadaharu Oh for many years. Had a lot of skills, hitting for average with some power, patience and some gold gloves in defence. Was immensely popular, but Oh was a much better hitter, though Oh was a 1B guy. Closest MLB comps as a hitter are Joe Gordon and Ron Santo. In the great hierarchy of 3rd base guys in the sky, he's not Mike Schmidt, but he does comes out somewhere between Boggs and Santo, though in terms of value he's a bit closer to Boggs than Santo.

Masaichi Kaneda, Pitcher

The good: Winning three Sawamuras (Japanese Cy Young Awards), 400 career wins and 20 or more wins for 14 consecutive seasons despite playing for some truly awful teams, the hard throwing leftie Kaneda was a hell of a pitcher.

The Bad: A hard throwing left hander in the Steve Carlton mould, these guys have historically struggled in the SL.

The Ugly: Kaneda posted a very low ERA despite being the all time Japanese career leader for home runs allowed. I have no idea what caused his love of giving up gopher balls, but it doesn't seem to be caused by his park, that said, MLE of HR allowed come out at Spahn/Carlton levels and.. well, his closest major league comps overall are Steve Carlton and Warren Spahn - he had better control than Steve though not hugely better and didn't strike out as many guys, but he struck out more dudes than Spahn but didnt have the same control. He was a much better hitter than either of them. His other comps are guys like Seaver - he was really good and would have won 300 games in MLB (just playing for a decent team would help).

From Communist Cuba

Omar Linares Third Base

Started playing in the Cuban league with 82 plate appearances at the age of 14, in which he walked 5 times and managed 19 hits including a triple. People generally consider that the Cuban leagues are probably as good as A ball, so this isn't as ridiculous as it sounds, but that said.. how many 14 year olds could cut it in rookie ball? As a 15 year old he hit .308 .358 .444, launching a historic career than eventually ended up in Japan as an old and broken down old player. He has lead the league in Average (five times), Walks (seven times), Runs (six times), RBI, Homers, Doubles and Triples (once each). Is first all time in career SLG, second in career AVG and walks, and third all time in homers.

How good was he? Who knows - his career ended at 34 in Cuba and then he went to Japan where he sucked. It's likely that he was like Robin Yount and just bored with playing baseball, but he was a good player until he started packing on the pounds in his 30s, and he does have a career OPS of 1.189.

Braudilio Vinent

Cuba's best post Castro Pitcher, a 5"10 right handed power pitcher with good control. Has a 56-4 record in international competition. His career statistics are below:

code:
Seasons games	Won	Lost	Pct	  IP	        hits	HR	K	walks   ShO	    ERA
20	477	221	167	.570	  3259.2	2645	157	2134	989	63	  2.42
And at one time or the other he lead the league in everything, including wins, losses, shutouts, complete game shutouts, complete games, ERAs etc etc. The other contender for best Cuban Pitcher is the more modern Pedro Lazo, who managed a career 3.27 ERA in an aluminium bat league, and whom closes for the national team.

From The Negro Leagues

Look, someone should take Turkey Sterns, but to make this more serious, the 5 greatest negro league players is probably as follows: Oscar Charleston, Josh Gibson, Satchel Paige, Smokey Joe Williams and Turkey Stearns. So.. what I'm saying is pick Turkey Stearns.

Turkey Stearns Centrefield / Left Field

Turkey had power, contact, speed, excellent fielding some plate discipline and a meh throwing arm. His closest comp in terms of value in MLB is Joe Dimaggio, assuming that you give Dimaggio credit for the war. He's not exactly the same, Joe had a better arm and less mobility What else can I say? He's as good as Joe DiMaggio.

Cool Papa Bell I'm not as high on him as Bill James, mostly because Bill rated him in 2001 and a big stat release occurred in 2003-4 which shows there are a few problems with prior analysis. Very fast, but an unwise decision to start switch hitting mid career UL Washington style had the same career destroying effects. He's probably over-promoted by his association with Satchel. Don't get me wrong, he's pretty good, but Maury Wills wouldn't be a good SL LF/CF. Great defence though - huge range, which is unsurprising. Overall not close to as good as Turkey Sterns.

Mule Suttles An extreme pull hitter with massive home run power. Natural position is first base, but can be stretched defensively to play LF. Again, Bill James thinks he is great, but detailed analysis reveals he kinda stuffers from Kingman syndrome, except he could hit for an OK average and field OK. OK I guess he's a lot better than Kingman. You're looking at a Willie Stargell type guy, maybe with a bit more power and a bit less of everything else. Not the same hitter as Stearns.

Cristobal Torriente Centrefield / Left Field / Right Field.

Like Turkey Sterns but he started drinking and was out of the game earlier. A subtly different player - had a better throwing arm but less speed, was slightly better at hitting for average but not as disciplined at the plate and couldn't leg out the doubles and triples as much - but it's pretty frikken close. His peak is about as good as Turkey's, it's just that his career has 6 or so less seasons in it, and overall I'd take Turkey.

Willard Brown, SS/CF/RF

The first black man to crush a dinger in the major leagues, Willard Brown is one of the strangest players to ever play competitive baseball, and certainly had the most hacktastic approach at the plate. While he totally failed in his one month trial in the big leagues, his achievements include posting this truely ridiculous season in Peurto Rico (something like AA or AAA in quality) winter ball:

code:
AB  R  H   2B 3B HR RBI BA   SA
234 79 101 20 05 27 86 .432 .906
Yes, that is a homer every 8.67 at bats, and that slugging percentage isn't a typo. Naturally this was good for the triple crown. However, while we joke about Vladimiar Guerro not knowing how walks work, big daddy Vladdy walked 985 times in 9000 career PAs, or close enough to 10% to be no thing. Over the course of Willard Brown's career he walked maybe 2% of the time. He walked less than Ducky Wucky Medwick, which is probably unsustainable at the Major League level. His major league comp is Big Daddy or Ducky Wucky, though his hit tool is probably better than either of them, but he came up as a short stop and moved to Centrefield for defensive reaasons. I have no idea how he'd go in the super league, he had elite power and contact skills (like seriously elite, the contemporary remarks were to the effect of if he could stop swinging at pitches in the dirt he's better than Gibson), but that walk rate is frightening. In the majors, 20 walks a year would be career highs. I some how feel that someone like that is just going to get nailed by Greg Maddux. I have no idea if he could have played effectively at a major league level, but all signs point to that he could after a bit of an adjustment though he could turn out to be the world's biggest toolsy bust.

Biz Mackey, Catcher

Taught Roy Campenalla to catch. Suffered some sort of injury or life changing circumstance and started to suck in 1932. Prior to that, very good. If you assume he would have retired in 1932 if he was in the majors and became a manager or coach or sold insurance, your looking at a OPS+ ~115 catcher which is pretty good, but I'd take Katsuya Nomura.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 12, 2013

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Sorry for the delay in the TLCS write-up, I've had some stuff to take care of in real life over the past few days. Should have it out by Valentine's Day because it's not like I'm doing anything that day :suicide:

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent
Sure, sure, Grinnblade. We all know it's just difficult to find a way to make "Tijuana got stomped" interesting enough for a whole update.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

The following series, scheduled for the best-three-out-of-five wins, is for a berth in the Dynamo League Championship Series and the Hardcore Championship!

The Tornados don't care about your "proper roster construction" or "basic logic", that's not their game, man! I know that a lot of people think that it makes sense to put good fielders up the middle and good hitters on the corners, but that's just conformist talk, man! A guy with real balls would put a bunch of slap hitters at 3B, 1B, and the corner outfield, and his best power bats at SS, C and CF. And he'd totally make his 2B a guy who couldn't really field, because he'd be too cool for defense! Clearly, the dude who made the Tornados must be the bossest dude around.

Progressive Field
Cancun, Quintana Roo, Estados Unidos Mexicanos

Progressive Field will host Games 3 and 4 of this series.

The following spring breakers have chosen the Tornados to win this series:

Gabriel Pope (OMA) (4 Games, 7-3)
theacox (CER) (4 Games, 8-5)
Armitage (JAC) (5 Games, 5-4)
Monathin (CNT) (5 Games, 7-5)
Pander (SAD) (5 Games, 4-0)

Rockford is basically the most miserable city in America. I mean, East St. Louis is pretty bad too, but at least it's a bit warmer, and connected to a city, not a good city, admittedly, but it's still somewhere you can get to via light rail to get away. Rockford, though? It's in the middle of nowhere. The Losers are a fantasy fantasy baseball team, and they are still probably the best thing that Rockford has going for it right now. The city of Rockford needs this win. Can they get it?

Rockford Municipal Stadium
Rockford, IL

Rockford Municipal Stadium will host Games 1, 2 and 5 of this series.

These road warriors took a break from their marauding to pick the Losers to win this series:

CVE (MDM) (4 Games, 3-1)
NotThatSamBeckett (4 Games, 3-2)
ScottyJSno (LOV) (4 Games, 7-5)
Senerio (NOW) (4 Games, 2-1)
cbx (DEC) (5 Games, 7-2)
gingemidget (WAL) (5 Games, 4-2)
GrickleGrass (5 Games, 4-1)
mooseontheloose (5 Games, 5-3)

Game 1

Don May posted:

TORNADOS TAKE OPENER WITH 9-1 THRASHING

Cancun- Like most trips to Cancun, the Losers are going to want to forget large parts of today's game.

The Tornados destroyed John Smoltz, crushing him for six runs in relief, as they rolled to an easy 9-1 win to take a 1-0 series lead in this best-of-five series. Even worse, the Losers wasted a decent start from Satchel Paige, as their relief woes were compounded by their almost-total inability to do anything on offense, with a home run from Oscar Charleston scoring the only Losers run of the day.

This was most frustrating to Lord Mayor Humungus, the Grand Commander of Rockford and the reigning Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla, who made clear his feelings while drinking his traditional post-game beverage of Grand Mariner and Lamb Blood out of the skull of former Boston Crabs' owner Angry_Ed, "John Smoltz has been sent to the pits of Belvidere for re-education. Let that be a warning to anyone else who would stand in my way, whether they are a member of the Losers or not. As for you, UltimoDragonQuest, I will crush you and your team, and your cries of despair shall lull my team to sleep at night. There can be no hope for you, UltimoDragonQuest, by the time I am done with you, there will be nothing left. UltimoDragonQuest, you are a plague on this league and on this world, and there can be no peace between us! Prepare for the end!"

UltimoDragonQuest, with his famous lack of personality, tried to address the media, "Personally, I thought-"

He was then interrupted by Steve, the Prince of Fate, who took the microphone and rabbit punched UltimoDragonQuest from behind to ensure that his owner could speak no longer, "What my esteemed leader meant to say that this triumph, this glorious triumph that filled us all with the sort of bonhomie that only banding together to defeat possible odds can bring out. Of course, it is a shame that UltimoDragonQuest could not be here to express his own deep-felt emotion." At that, UltimoDragonQuest began to stir, inspiring Steve to kick UltimoDragonQuest several times to knock the Tornados owner back into unconsciousness. "As I was relating, our owner was so overcome with emotion that he has become unable to speak, which I think says more about his devotion to the team than anything that he could actually say to anyone. Yes, that should cover things up."

Asked what the point of that was, winning pitching Sandy Koufax tried to put it in Koufax, "Well, I don't know who this UltimoDragonQuest is, but it's good to have a fan as devoted as he is." Informed that UltimoDragonQuest was actually the owner of the TOrnados, Koufax was confused, "No, I'm pretty sure that our owner is Archie Goodwin, who's a cool dude, and I think he's doing a great job as owner." A reporter then told Koufax that Archie Goodwin actually owned the Gumshoes, "Really? That's kind of disappointing. So this UltimoDragonQuest dude is our owner? Is he like a luchador...or a jRPG fan...or...can I get traded to the Gumshoes? That would be pretty cool."

Game 2 will take place in Cancun. "The Scorpion" Roy Halladay will try and give the Tornados a 2-0 series lead while Tom Seaver tries to even the series for the Losers.

GAME NOTES

-Satchel Paige pitched only five innings in today's game. The AI Manager responsible for this quick hook has been 'sacked', in that Humungus adopted the ancient Mongol practice of tying the manager in a sack, and then having a horse stomp the manager into paste. According to Humungus, this is actually considered quite respectful, as no blood is spilled in the process assuming that the sack is properly made.

-In the first Speaker vs. Speaker battle, the Tornados' Speaker hit three doubles while the Losers' Speaker when 0-for-4.

Box Score

Game 2

Don May posted:

TORNADOS TAKE LOSERS TO BRINK WITH 4-1 WIN

Cancun- The Tornados always were a team built around speed, so it makes sense that they would try and get this series over with as quickly as possible.

After last game's misadventures in relief pitching, the Losers decided that, for good or ill, Tom Seaver would pitch the entirety of this game. In his defense, Seaver did throw a decent enough game, but struggled late when the Tornados' "Contact Line" of Kelley-Stephenson-McGraw-Hamilton-Speaker managed to sync up and deliver three runs at just the right time through a series of timely hits and steals, which gave the Tornados a hard-fought 4-1 victory, as well as a 2-0 series lead in this best-of-five Dynamo League Divisional Series.

Humungus was more irate that usual, "UltimoDragonQuest! Hear me now! You have won your final game in this series! For now you must journey to the dark heart of despair from which no man, or team, can emerge unscathed. It is the furnace of misery, where the only colors are gray and rust, and the only mood is weary resignation. There are those who say that Rockford does not exist, cannot exist, because its very presence on this Earth calls into question the existence of a kind and loving God. UltimoDragonQuest, you do not yet know the meaning of true sorrow, but the time will come, and soon. You will be forced to leave your sybaritic home behind, your sun, your beaches, your tropical drinks, and enter into the maelstrom that is the Greater Rockford Metropolitan Area. If the American Dream could not survive Rockford, then what chance have you, UltimoDragonQuest?"

In fact, UltimoDragonQuest did have an answer to that, "Okay, unlike last game where I was interrupted by-" A trap door then opened beneath him, causing him to fall into the bowels of the stadium, eventually landing with a satisfying 'thump'. Riggs Stephenson, who then reset the door explained that, "It's not that we don't like UltimoDragonQuest, it's just that no one ever wants to hear him talk. I mean, the last time he gave a pep talk to our team, it went over so bad that we ended up throwing the game. He's just so boring to listen to that it starts to drive you crazy. I mean, just look at what happened to poor Roy Halladay. He once had a thirty-minute meeting with UltimoDragonQuest."

Roy Halladay denied being insane, "If I were insane, then The Great Scorpion would tell me so. But he hasn't, so I must be sane. After all, would the scorpion trust an insane person to beat the the Losers? You see, I have to kill the Losers, to restore order to the universe. Because there are the Lovable Losers coming in, and we can't have two teams named 'Losers', that would be confusing, everything would fall apart! NO! That would be crazy, yeah, that's what's really crazy, so I've got to use the power of the scorpion to kill them, kill them all! EVERYONE MUST DIE! Or, wait, maybe just the Losers. THE LOSERS MUST DIE!"

Game 3 will take place in Rockford. Don Drysdale will try and keep the Losers alive against Lefty Grove.

GAME NOTES

-There is still no update on whether UltimoDragonQuest is a fan of luchadors or jRPGs. There might be some overlap.

-Did you know that Cancun was built on an active volcano and might be wiped out at anytime if that volcano were to go off. Of course, that's not actually true, but it certainly sounds plausible.

-WHY THE gently caress CAN'T THESE TEAMS HAVE JUST ONE CLOSE GAME!

Box Score

Game 3

Don May posted:

LOSERS GET REVENGE SEVERAL TIMES OVER, CRUSH TORNADOS 14-2

Rockford- Hell, in addition to being other people, is probably Rockford too.

Much like the hotel in Sartre's No Exit, it is the sheer banality of Rockford that makes it so excruciating. Many believed that Rockford would actually be more livable if there were flowing rivers of lava or giant spiders roaming the streets, leading to a pilot program where several thirty-foot long, super-intelligent Wolf Spiders were released into the downtown area. Unfortunately, it turned out that the spiders were not all that interested in the wanton slaughter of people, as newly-elected city councilman Eight-Eyes told reporters, "We only wish to live in peace with the humans, share their struggle to find a better life, and to liquefy and ingest the internal organs of our common enemies."

And, in all likelihood, the Tornados probably would have rather spent time with the giant spiders rather than playing in today's game, where the Losers took out two games' worth of frustration on the Tornados, who looked lifeless outside of the tropical heat of Cancun.

"Why is it so cold? And gray? And devoid of drunken college students you can steal the identities of?" Asked Tornados' outfielder Slidin' Billy Hamilton, "It's just rather depressing. It truly has sapped our team's ability to compete, and I can't imagine that we are going to do much better in tomorrow's game either. But, fortunately for everyone, Game 5 will take place in Cancun, where it is warm, sunny, and you can bribe your way out of just about any legal trouble. Truly, it is a fine place."

UltimoDragonQuest tried to address reporters after the game, only to be ambushed and beaten down by two masked figures, who just happened to be wearing the uniforms of Steve and Riggs Stephenson. It was very confusing. Steve tried to explain it to reporters, "Allow me to explain in terms that I think will be easily understood. If you had both Catiline and Cicero on a team, you would certainly not have Catiline do the talking for you. UltimoDragonQuest has many fine qualities, probably, but letting him speak for himself just seems like it would be a terrible waste of everyone's time and energy. And I'm against that."

Game 4 will take place tomorrow in Rockford, where Nolan Ryan will try and send the series back to Cancun while Don Drysdale of the Tornados will probably not put up a huge fight to getting the hell out of Rockford.

GAME NOTES

-Rockford still does intend to create a river of flowing lava through downtown Rockford, but has run into delays in the competitive bidding process due to accusations of nepotism and corruption. Lord Mayor Humungus has vowed to address these concerns by having the disputing parties settle it in the ThunderDome.

Box Score

Game 4

Don May posted:

LOSERS WIN 7-5, SEND SERIES BACK TO CANCUN

Rockford- It was generally agreed by both teams that, for everyone's sakes, it just made more sense to just give this game to the Losers, and have a Game 5 in Cancun.

For their part, the Tornados had no interest in expending any more energy in Rockford, given that they found the place to rather unbearable. The Losers, on the other hand, needed to win to stay alive.

And so it was agreed by both sides that the best solution would be to forge a box score, present it to Smasher Dynamo, and just claim that the game really took place, as, being in Rockford, there would be no television or radio broadcast anyway. Smasher Dynamo accepted the box score, and both teams raced to the airport to get the hell out of Rockford.

Game 5 will take place in Cancun and will be the decisive game in this series. Sandy Koufax will make his second start of the series against the ageless wonder that is Satchel Paige.

GAME NOTES

-The teams agreed that Riggs Stephenson would be charged with two errors in this game, if only to remind everyone just how bad he is defensively.

-Did you know that Rockford was founded by John Rockford in the year 1865 in a misguided attempt to prop up the ailing Confederate States of America? Rockford believed that if he could create a stronghold for the Confederacy just a few days march from Chicago, even then the most important city in the region as well as the symbolic birthplace of Lincoln's political career, that he might be able to save the secessionists. Of course, not only did he fail, but failed so badly that this he and his scheme were retroactively erased from history thanks to Union General, and occasional Sorcerer, Phillip Sheridan. The nascent town of Rockford survived, though, even as, to this, none can remembers its true origin.

Box Score

Game 5

Don May posted:

TORNADOS SUDDENLY KILL LOSERS 8-0

Cancun- Drama denied.

Theoretically, a Game 5 in a best-of-five series should be tense. But when one team only manages five hits and no runs, and the other team has a 6-0 lead after five innings, hearts were not exactly racing as the game moved towards its conclusion.

With an 8-0 win, the Cancun Tornados won this Dynamo League Divisional Series, as well as the Hardcore Championship, which had been held by the Losers going into this series, and had also been on the line.

It was a frustrating end to what had been another good season for the Rockford Losers, who, after making the Finals last season, had hoped to return and win the Super-League Championship. Instead, they will return to Rockford for much brooding and sullen contemplation. Already, Lord Mayor Humungus has dismissed the interim AI Manager of his team, order him to be drawn and quartered by four Mazda 626s for his "treason against the Rockford Losers".

UltimoDragonQuest was finally able to speak to the press, but only after avoiding a series of booby traps arranged by Riggs Stephenson in an attempt to prevent him from getting to the microphone, as well as Steve's last-ditch attempt to prevent the press conference by destroying the entirety of Cancun's power grid, only to learn that the stadium was powered by its own generators.

And while we reporters did have to hear UltimoDragonQuest drone on and on, we will not reprint his comments here, as to do so would be inhumane.

Marauder, whose Finger-Bangers will face the Tornados in the Dynamo League Championship Series was asked about his thoughts on his next opponent, "Ah, yes the Tornados. Ha. Hahahahaha. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, I'm sorry, the Tornados are suddenly a threat to me? Billy Hamilton is going to outplay Barry Bonds? Riggs Stephenson is going to outdo Nap Lajoie? No, I don't foresee the Tornados to be any real challenge for my team. I am sure that their owner, UltimateDragQuestion or whatever his name is, is very proud of his bunch of castoffs, but the Dynamo League Championship Series is no time for whatever insane strategy his team is built around, it is a time for good teams to prove their worth. Oh, I am sure that if you ran this series 1000 times, the Tornados, with their horrifying defense and complete lack of any complete offensive players would win a time or two. But they don't get to play us 1000 times. They don't get to play us 100 times. They don't even play us 10 times. No, they will play us just once, and I don't fancy their chances."

GAME NOTES

-God drat it, Rockford! What the gently caress, you couldn't have made one game close in this entire loving series? What the gently caress is loving wrong with you? Do you know how loving hard it is to come up with this poo poo out of nothing? gently caress.

Box Score

Updated Playoff Bracket

Super Pick'em Turbo: League Championship Edition
Pick the winner, number of game (best-of-seven) and score of the final game
Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's

Marauder!
UltimoDragonQuest!
ForeverBWFC!

One of you will soon become the champion of the Super-League, a title that holds certain rights...and responsibilities. The time has come to see which of you have the heart of the (Ultimate) warrior, and which of you are little better than craven jackals, fit only to dine on scraps of greater beasts. Is a life of cowardice worth living? That is the question that you must ask yourselves, for the question at hand is thus:

Who is willing to challenge the Macho Men?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 5, 3-2
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's in 7, 1-0

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 6 games (4-2)
South Bolton Eazy W's 7 games (8-6)

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Oh, for gently caress's sakes...

Here's your drat pick em scores update. Goodnight.

pre:
Gricklegrass            33
Armitage                30
cbx                     30
Pander                  30
Monathin                29
Senerio                 26
NotThatSamBeckett       24
CVE                     23
theacox                 22
gingemidget             21
Gabriel Pope            20
Mooseontheloose         16
ScottyJSno              11
Bograt                   3

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers, 5, 7-2
South Bolton Eazy W's, 6, 5-4

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In the spirit of small changes that give idle hands something to do, I want to make sure Reuschel is in the LF spot, Finley is #5, and I'll move Dolf Luque to MR.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

:slick:

As we all know, Macho Man challenges are serious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbcOC5dS5k

King Kelly would never decline a ridiculous challenge, and fully intends to loophole his way back into the league after defeating the Macho Men.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers 6 games, 6-1
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's 5 games, 5-3

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
The W's are a Super-League institution, built around the principle that every man has a story. That what makes a play is not the outcome but the players, and that together camaraderie and team spirit will win through confusing acronyms. I have assembled the greatest team the League has ever seen, not in terms of sabremetrics or stolen bases or home runs, but in terms of character and determination. I am genuinely proud and happy to call this team my own...

But every story must end, WE WILL FACE THE MACHO MEN!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers - 6 games, 7-3 final
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's - 7 games, 4-3 final

An all Marauder finals.

His will be done.