Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Peven Stan posted:

That's exactly what I'm looking for, actually. drat shame it costs $25!

If you're more hackery: https://github.com/benjaminoakes/maid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a way to get the iWork trio without paying $60?

I don't mean :filez:, I mean like a bundle or something? I have GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto free (I guess they came with a new computer), do they do something similar for iWork?
They don't sell it anymore themselves, but I guess you can buy the old hard copy like this (not that I'm necessarily vouching for the authenticity of them). It says "old version"...but iWork is still on 09 and that should get updated to the latest after you install (assuming it'll install at least).

The big caveat is that it won't give you the digital rights, so say they update to iWork '13 or whatever. It's a mystery what they'll do since I'm not sure if any of their apps have gotten major upgrades since going on the store, but there's a chance digital buyers would get it for free (a la a lot of iOS app updates), while having a hard copy version might leave you out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

8ender posted:

No there are plenty of NAS devices that support time machine. I have everything in my house backing up to a nice FreeNAS server I built. Works great.

Thanks, this looks awesome. I just have to figure out how to get around the "no wireless" problem.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

8ender posted:

No there are plenty of NAS devices that support time machine. I have everything in my house backing up to a nice FreeNAS server I built. Works great.

Lion and Mountain Lion broke support for some third party time machine systems.

I had it working fine on SL using my netgear NAS but the upgrade to Lion and then ML time machine cant find the server/disk.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I'm getting silent crashes in Chrome (no warning, no Console log). Seems almost like a quit. Running the Beta, I think (25.0.1364)—anyone else having issues? Seems to happen with keyboard input (perhaps shortcuts?)

Still having this problem! Seems like it was annoying a few other people—any fixes out there?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Don't use the beta?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Are there any apps for sports scores that hook into the notification center? Something like the iOS ESPN app but for OS X ?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Laserface posted:

it worked fine in Lion and SL. now every time it wakes up Ive lost connection to the internet (so I cant use my Logmein) and my NAS is disconnected (so SABNZBD/sickbeard cant work their magic without waking the PC up to the transfer the files to the directories)

I can see on my router the Gigabit light switches to ethernet for that port. it did not do this previously.

Try disabling Power Nap?
What do you mean "lost connection to the internet"?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It sounds like your computer was never actually sleeping before and just had the monitor sleeping.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Or using something like Caffeine? Otherwise more likely it sounds like it's just not reconnecting to everything on wake for whatever reason.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

it was definitely sleeping, because you could hear everything power back on when you woke it up (disks spinning up and fans too)

I dont have power nap, I dont think my imac supports it (mid 2011)

the computer was definitely sleeping previously. it was set to sleep after 15min of inactivity with screen off at 10. this worked without fault in Lion for nearly 2 years. Hard disks spin down when possible, wake on lan enabled.

mountain lion has changed that now and when sleeping, the ethernet jack is down grading to 100mbit (router light goes from green to orange) and when it wakes up, theres a 5-10 second delay for network activity - cant browse the web, MSN/skype is disconnected. I get a message that my NAS is not reachable and is disconnected (although it reestablishes pretty quickly)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've had similar issues, but they go back to when I installed Lion, not Mountain Lion.

Back on Snow Leopard, as long as I had "Wake for network access" (or whatever it was called) enabled, my iTunes library would continue to show up as available for Home Sharing, even when asleep. This was great for using with my Apple TV, because I could let my computer sleep, but have it wake up when needed. Ever since upgrading to Lion (and Mountain Lion) this hasn't worked and I've had to keep my computer running whenever I want it to be available on the Apple TV.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Out of curiosity, are the trouble machines connected over wifi or ethernet to your home network? I had similar trouble over wifi on Lion but when I moved to ethernet it was fixed.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

On Snow Leopard are icons and Quick Look for .doc limited by filesize?

Some files are previewing just dandily, but larger ones won't generate either.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
So if I'm in photoshop on my macbook, I hit tab to hide all the pallets and whatnot. While in this mode I start the type tool, but I just noticed something: I can never get out. Since I can't click the layer to deselect it, and I can't find any key combination that deselects text, it seems like all I can do is escape out and start over again. Or did I miss something? I can't believe they'd let something like this slip by.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Still having this problem! Seems like it was annoying a few other people—any fixes out there?

I was getting a similar issue, random crashes when opening a new tab, several times a day since this beta came out. I found a similar issue report two days ago on the Chromium site that seemed to be fixed by clearing all the browsing data, so I cleared my browsing history, download history, and cache and haven't had a crash since. I previously had just done the cache and download history and that didn't make a difference, so maybe something changed with the history database with this release.

ralin
Jan 20, 2004
aaa
Terminal has someone else's name in front of mine whenever I load it up and the name changes some times. This is creeping me out.. Is this something I should be concerned about?

My terminal prompt looks like this.
kjell-nordstrom:~ John$

Yesterday the name in front was Norman Freeman or something..

Edit: Answered my own question via google

"OS X is initially setting your hostname to what's set for your Computer Name in Sharing; however, if you're set up for DHCP and you match a current lease on your DHCP server (i.e., match the IP address of another recent user), OS X will then set your hostname to whatever the DHCP server currently has for that lease."

ralin fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 13, 2013

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's the best browser these days? I've used Safari because of fullscreen and swipe navigation, and that was a bit buggy (or even non-existant?) on the other browsers a year ago. What's it like now?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really just prefer to use Chrome. I didn't think Safari was super buggy or anything, and Chrome definitely breaks every now and then when they let a bug in, but overall it's been very useful.

I like the built-in bookmark and extension syncing, similar to iCloud but also available on my non-Apple devices.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xabi posted:

What's the best browser these days?
There isn't one. Safari's nice if you want syncing between lots of Apple devices like I do, but otherwise Chrome is a better choice for a lot of people.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Xabi posted:

What's the best browser these days? I've used Safari because of fullscreen and swipe navigation, and that was a bit buggy (or even non-existant?) on the other browsers a year ago. What's it like now?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There isn't one. Safari's nice if you want syncing between lots of Apple devices like I do, but otherwise Chrome is a better choice for a lot of people.

Martytoof posted:

I really just prefer to use Chrome. I didn't think Safari was super buggy or anything, and Chrome definitely breaks every now and then when they let a bug in, but overall it's been very useful.

I like the built-in bookmark and extension syncing, similar to iCloud but also available on my non-Apple devices.

...and I use both. I've deleted the systemwide flash plugin and use Safari for the majority of my basic browsing, and Chrome for watching youtube/flash games/etc.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I've got a 2011 Air. Am I going to break anything if I use a USB hub? I can't make use of the Thunderbolt port and I really need four ports at this point. And from what I can tell there is no USB 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, either.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Xabi posted:

After using FF, Chrome, and Safari, I gotta say Opera. It's what Chrome wants to be when it grows up.
That said, I'm using Safari right now, because I can't be arsed to import all my info and bookmarks into my new Mini. :effort:

No problems so far.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

I've got a 2011 Air. Am I going to break anything if I use a USB hub? I can't make use of the Thunderbolt port and I really need four ports at this point. And from what I can tell there is no USB 3 to Thunderbolt adapter, either.
Hubs are fine, albeit not all hubs are created equal, and if your devices depend on bus power things could get sketchy depending on how much they draw. But no there's nothing inherently wrong with hubs themselves.

For TB there's some dock things but I don't know if they're shipping yet, and they're expensive as hell ($250-350) compared to a standard USB hub.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ralin posted:

Terminal has someone else's name in front of mine whenever I load it up and the name changes some times. This is creeping me out.. Is this something I should be concerned about?

My terminal prompt looks like this.
kjell-nordstrom:~ John$

Yesterday the name in front was Norman Freeman or something..

Edit: Answered my own question via google

"OS X is initially setting your hostname to what's set for your Computer Name in Sharing; however, if you're set up for DHCP and you match a current lease on your DHCP server (i.e., match the IP address of another recent user), OS X will then set your hostname to whatever the DHCP server currently has for that lease."
There is an scutil command to fix it

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

jackpot posted:

So if I'm in photoshop on my macbook, I hit tab to hide all the pallets and whatnot. While in this mode I start the type tool, but I just noticed something: I can never get out. Since I can't click the layer to deselect it, and I can't find any key combination that deselects text, it seems like all I can do is escape out and start over again. Or did I miss something? I can't believe they'd let something like this slip by.

If you hover your mouse cursor to the left or right edge of the screen, your hidden palettes will pop back, allowing you to select another layer/tool/whatever.

-e I can't spell

neck face fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 14, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

neck face posted:

If you hover your mouse cursor to the left or right edge of the screen, your hidden pallets will pop back, allowing you to select another layer/tool/whatever.

Palette. Sorry, that has driven me crazy since the VGA days.

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

Bob Morales posted:

Palette. Sorry, that has driven me crazy since the VGA days.

Whoops!

While I'm here, every single time I start iTunes I get this:

It's been happening for a good long while now and it's pretty annoying when I plug my iPhone in and that stupid message pops up over everything.
I've tried a few of the suggestions I found by Googling around, such as removing paired remotes & restarting but nothing seems to solve it.

Anyone else dealt with this?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

neck face posted:

Whoops!

While I'm here, every single time I start iTunes I get this:

It's been happening for a good long while now and it's pretty annoying when I plug my iPhone in and that stupid message pops up over everything.
I've tried a few of the suggestions I found by Googling around, such as removing paired remotes & restarting but nothing seems to solve it.

Anyone else dealt with this?

Is iTunes set to allow incoming connections in the Firewall Options dialog box?

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

echobucket posted:

Is iTunes set to allow incoming connections in the Firewall Options dialog box?

Yup.

I've even tried deleting iTunes from that list and letting it create a new entry next time I launch it, but that only fixes it for that one session. If I quit iTunes it'll start asking me again every time I launch the program.

pfdotn
Jan 12, 2011

Sounds like a plist may be read only. Have you tried fixing disk permissions?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

neck face posted:

If you hover your mouse cursor to the left or right edge of the screen, your hidden palettes will pop back, allowing you to select another layer/tool/whatever.

-e I can't spell
I guess I'll try this next time I'm working at home on just my laptop; that doesn't work now, when I've got two screens running.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've had more trouble with my new (non-retina) MBP than I ever did with my old, '07 MBP. I purchased a base model MBP a few months ago to replace my dying '07.

My new machine has two really, really annoying problems.

1) The screen changes color as I open and close apps. This is a known problem according to a google search, but none of the fixes stick. I can stop it from shifting for a few days, or even a couple of weeks, but eventually it starts doing it again.

It drives me bonkers, and the blueish screen is really hard on my eyes.

2) The machine frequently takes ages to wake up. Sometimes the screen has a grey overlay with a progress bar at the bottom. After that fills up, the screen is back to normal but the machine is completely unresponsive. It sometimes takes upwards of 2 minutes to wake from sleep. I could boot it faster than that.

I see lots of people complaining about rMBPs taking a long time to wake--and most define "long time" as about 10 seconds--but nothing conclusive about standard MBPs taking minutes to wake with a weird grey overlay on the screen.

Any ideas on either, folks?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
The second issue sounds like your battery died and the machine was restoring its last state.

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

jackpot posted:

I guess I'll try this next time I'm working at home on just my laptop; that doesn't work now, when I've got two screens running.

Weird, I'm doing it on a duel monitor setup and it works here. It's about ~10px from the left or right edge, leave your cursor there for a second and it should pop up.

What version of PS are you using?

pfdotn posted:

Sounds like a plist may be read only. Have you tried fixing disk permissions?

I tried this and I got this:
Group differs on “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.

which repaired fine, but sadly didn't fix the issue :(

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

ConfusedUs posted:

1) The screen changes color as I open and close apps. This is a known problem according to a google search, but none of the fixes stick. I can stop it from shifting for a few days, or even a couple of weeks, but eventually it starts doing it again.

Is opening/closing apps triggering a switch of graphics cards? If so, you can force it to stick with one or the other using gfxCardStatus.

Edit: By "base model" did you mean 13"? Because if so, nevermind.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I've had more trouble with my new (non-retina) MBP than I ever did with my old, '07 MBP. I purchased a base model MBP a few months ago to replace my dying '07.

My new machine has two really, really annoying problems.

It drives me bonkers, and the blueish screen is really hard on my eyes.

I've noticed this on my 15" MBP as well. Apparently the color management treats the integrated graphics differently than the dedicated graphics. I'm not sure if you can play with the calibration with it on and off and get them to match or not....

Anyone know?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's an 11th seed of 10.8.3 for developers today.

Apple's just loving with us now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the flip side, I can't think of a single bug that I'm experiencing in 10.8.2 right now that I need fixed. Maybe that dumb file:slashslashslash thing? But how often does that come up. Is 10.8.2 generally considered in need of many fixes?

Wondering what they're refining in .3 for this long :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Martytoof posted:

On the flip side, I can't think of a single bug that I'm experiencing in 10.8.2 right now that I need fixed. Maybe that dumb file:slashslashslash thing? But how often does that come up. Is 10.8.2 generally considered in need of many fixes?

Wondering what they're refining in .3 for this long :ohdear:

I know of two display bugs I would like fixed; can't rotate a 2560x1600 display 90* when using dual DVI adapter(it forces a resolution reduction) and the lack of RGB output when using Thunderbolt -> MiniDisplay port (YPbPr only...).

Aggrivating.