Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh I know. I'm half-minded to superglue a lot of the kit just so I don't have to worry about things randomly falling off. I've got to imagine the arm joints must have a lot of weight trying to pull them off.

The arm joints aren't that bad, the ankles are worse. It's really the parts that connect the shield structures to the arms that have a tendency to pull off. The arms just sort of slowly return to his sides if you put them at an angle, but his ankles, god. You need to brace him against a wall or something if you don't want him falling over if you can't use the supports for the boosters he has (I don't have them in on mine, lack of space, but even with just the backpack on you need to brace him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WickedIcon posted:

That would be awesome if you could hook me up with that!

found it

PM me to arrange shipping

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 12, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God drat it. That's the ONE MG I didn't buy from the legendary Amazon super sale, because the box art was so tiny that it made it look absolutely retarded, and implied that it came only in full-armor mode, not that it was removable.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

found it

PM me to arrange shipping

I don't have PMs, email me at seantucker858 at gmail?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

And if you care to go back a page to that random closet photo I posted last week, pretty much ALL that poo poo has to go, so if anyone sees something they'd like please let me know.

edit: the few MGs and HGUCs visible are off the table for now, but that may change.

You might try posting on http://gamerabaenre.com/forums/index.php - he's in Fullerton and most of the people in his model group are in the greater LA area.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Speaking of that, Bimmi, could you post what you have left? I've got $100 to burn and clearly model kits are the best option.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Ok, it's looking like I really need to get some of the Kotobukiya accessory parts. I mean, look at this :stare:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Ok, it's looking like I really need to get some of the Kotobukiya accessory parts. I mean, look at this :stare:

Is that a Kotobukiya mech or a Bandai kit? Pretty sweet whatever.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Fauxtool, are you still trying to get rid of the Alex? I haven't heard from you.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is that a Kotobukiya mech or a Bandai kit? Pretty sweet whatever.

Bandai Gundam Age model for the robot, the gigantic arm is a Kotobukiya accessory

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WickedIcon posted:

Fauxtool, are you still trying to get rid of the Alex? I haven't heard from you.

yes I was waiting for a PM to exchange info

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I don't have PMs (like I said) and I can't drop 10 bucks on plat right now, is it impossible for you to email me at the address I mentioned in my earlier post?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Real Grade Gundam GP01 coming in July.

http://www.desmondchieng.com/real-grade-gundam-gp01-announced/

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 22, 2013

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
That is the ugliest Gundam lineart I have ever seen.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Yeah, it's the GP01

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I don't want to buy it, but I do want to buy the inevitable full burnern version.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
A friend of mine bought me the Sinanju Stein. I seriously don't deserve friends this awesome.

I've always wanted a Sinanju but dreaded trying to paint that loving gold trim, so this is perfect for me.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Popehoist posted:

A friend of mine bought me the Sinanju Stein. I seriously don't deserve friends this awesome.

I've always wanted a Sinanju but dreaded trying to paint that loving gold trim, so this is perfect for me.

Just do a reverse wash on it. Thats how I did my Kshatriya. Practice it first. I tried it out on a Super Deformed Kshatriya to make sure it worked.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cool, we're out of the SEED rut!

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

This is fantastic news. The GP01 is probably my favorite Gundam apart from the MK-II. The line has a lot of potential. Would it be too complicated for Bandai to do something like the Victory or the F91? The old Victory kits had an inner-frame, but I don't know if was really necessary or not. I could dig some really obscure mobile suits or kits getting the RG treatment.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Dr. Wang posted:

This is fantastic news. The GP01 is probably my favorite Gundam apart from the MK-II. The line has a lot of potential. Would it be too complicated for Bandai to do something like the Victory or the F91? The old Victory kits had an inner-frame, but I don't know if was really necessary or not. I could dig some really obscure mobile suits or kits getting the RG treatment.

The problem is RG is a 1/144 scale line, and the Victory/F91 suits are tiny compared to their earlier UC or SEED counterparts. So imagine the fragility of the F91/Victory Master Grades, then imagine the kit being 50% smaller. Not a good idea.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So the real question is, should we expect the whole GP0 Trilogy, or would GP02 be not that likely given its size?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

The problem is RG is a 1/144 scale line, and the Victory/F91 suits are tiny compared to their earlier UC or SEED counterparts. So imagine the fragility of the F91/Victory Master Grades, then imagine the kit being 50% smaller. Not a good idea.

While you're correct, we did get a Skygrasper RG. I'm not holding my breath for F91 or Victory suits in RG before we get them in MG.

And I would laugh my rear end off at an RG Dendrobium.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TaurusOxford posted:

So the real question is, should we expect the whole GP0 Trilogy, or would GP02 be not that likely given its size?

The GP02 MG is a disaster. I hope they remake it in some form, with better articulation and such.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Midjack posted:

While you're correct, we did get a Skygrasper RG. I'm not holding my breath for F91 or Victory suits in RG before we get them in MG.

RG Dendrobium! Only 2000 dollars!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
RG Gerba Tetra? Seems unlikely when there's no HG, but I can dream.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

The GP02 MG is a disaster. I hope they remake it in some form, with better articulation and such.

Jeez, if a Tallgeese isn't enough to get one last model buy out of me, a new GP02 might.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Midjack posted:

Now that bandai have got teeny tiny inner frames down with the RGs I think they could manage an MG from F91 or Victory that isn't too fragile. Maybe we'll get one when an anniversary rolls around.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red Bones posted:

Now that bandai have got teeny tiny inner frames down with the RGs I think they could manage an MG from F91 or Victory that isn't too fragile. Maybe we'll get one when an anniversary rolls around.

Dont you think they would rather make something from one of their non-dead series, like unicorn or even 00

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Mecha Gojira posted:

iirc, the V suits aren't that small, most of the early AU suits are pretty close to them in size (Wing and Shining are only a meter taller than the Victory, most notably).

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

U.T. Raptor posted:

iirc, the V suits aren't that small, most of the early AU suits are pretty close to them in size (Wing and Shining are only a meter taller than the Victory, most notably).

Well, admittedly it's not like Bandai doesn't cheat with the scale sometimes. The God Gundam HGFC for example is as tall as the HGUC Stark Jegan despite supposedly being three meters shorter. But the AU suits aren't nearly as complicated as the Victory Gundams and both the V and F91 have proven themselves to be disasters in a larger scale already, so I'm not sure why you'd want to see them in a smaller scale like 1/144.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/02/mobile-suit-gundam-age-exa-log-garfran.html

Worst MSVs in Gundam history.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

quote:

AnonymousFebruary 26, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Really? REALLY!? Are you loving stupid as poo poo? the whole loving concept of Gundam is unconventional, what, do you have a degree in astrophysics? Or engineering? Can you even read the text on the image to know what it actually does!? Do you enjoy being retarded?
RAGE MODE.

Those mobile suits look like unmitigated poo poo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the rouge bat is trying so hard to be awesome like the deathscythe hell custom but fails miserably at it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Monaghan posted:

the rouge bat is trying so hard to be awesome like the deathscythe hell custom but fails miserably at it.

No matter how much I look at it, all I can see is a Leo in a Halloween costume.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

They must have decided the rouge design was too good for AGE standards and overcompensated spectacularly.

In other news, screw gundam markers. I started a new kit after a couple years' break and decided to get fresh pens, and went the 'offical' route this time. I did half the kit with the lining pens before it sunk in that the results looked so much shittier, and were so much harder to accomplish. Turns out having the word 'gundam' on them doesn't mean good, and in fact means fat lines with lovely quality ink that makes washing the excess 100x harder.

I also did half the kit with the touch-up markers to get rid of sprue marks before turning on an extra light on my desk and realizing, holy poo poo, the colors don't match at all. Specifically, the paint in the tips turn darker after a few hours (gray becomes black for example), so if you want anywhere near the correct color you have to use it all up and refill the tip from the reservoir. Maybe the instructions say this, I don't know. I wonder if the instructions also say to use the markers upside down, because unless you do so the layer of paint applied is slightly too thick, which has the neat side effect of also making the color darker once it dries.

What I got from this is to go back to using microns or multiliners for lining, and actual, real, non-bizzaro paint for touch-ups. It's depressing how much better the lines on my previous kits look, anyone making a comparison would think I hit my head between now and then and got brain damage. Now for the painstaking process of cleaning the lines off (admittedly not that hard as any solvent stronger than spit will rip it off just by proximity) and scraping off paint in the touched-up spots (admittedly also easy because the spots stick out more than a lighthouse at night from 10 feet away).

Copic Multiliner 0.05 (top) vs. Gundam Marker fine point:

They were applied in the same way; the ink used in the gundam marker is just splotchy and watery and turns out like that on its own. It's also that weird shiny dark blue/sharpie color.

Gundam touch-up marker:

The top line is the gray, I used it recently so the color went back to normal fairly quickly. The bottom 3 lines are the dark blue, which I hadn't used in about a day. It takes that much use to get to the correct shade, and even then, if it is layered too thickly, the shade changes (see the very end where I overlapped a couple times).

MG Tallgeese using a gundam liner. This is after attempting to thin the lines with rubbing alcohol and touching it up with a toothpick:

Also note the complete failure to cover up the sprue marks underneath the thrusters at the top of the picture.

MG Turn A using a Sakura Micron 02. Just had to fill in the lines and give it one or two wipes with rubbing alcohol, minimal touching up (sometimes just straight penning, as with the side skirt):

Pictures are roughly to scale.

On the bright side, I also ordered a Tamiya sprue cutter (74035) along with the junk, which turned out to be brilliant and a lot better than Testor/Xuron cutters I'd been using (at only 3x the cost :v:)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Have you ever tried buffing out sprue marks with your thumbnail? Scratching at them like you would a scratch ticket seems to take a lot of the white "stressed" look out of the mark, though I'm not exactly sure why.

e: When I was into it, I built all of my kits with a diagonal cutter and a small boxcutter :shepface:

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Yes! It works well, though it doesn't help with deeper stress marks you get from cutting off the bigger gates. The tip of a wood toothpick can sometimes get at those though.

I still use a regular utility knife for the final shave. But with the Tamiya cutters, if I get the cut flush enough I don't even need that step, and it doesn't create stress marks on the smaller gates (though it leaves a spot that looks slightly darker than the surrounding plastic due to its smoothness).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Xy Hapu posted:

gently caress Gundam Markers.

Truth. Christ they are a waste of money, don't really work that well, relatively expensive and hard to use.

I switched to enamel washes and I love it. Zippo lighter fluid works great as a thinner and doesn't damage the top coat I use at all, and you can bet a big jug of it for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Xy Hapu posted:

MG Turn A using a Sakura Micron 02. Just had to fill in the lines and give it one or two wipes with rubbing alcohol, minimal touching up (sometimes just straight penning, as with the side skirt):

Pictures are roughly to scale.
A friend of mine used to do this kind of effect on his Eldar vehicles for Warhammer 40k by getting GW's black ink at the time (one of the washes now I guess) and applying it with an appropriately sized calligraphy pen nib. Might be worth trying on gunpla, but I dunno if it'd stick to bare plastic.

• Locked thread