Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My press ganger used his pSkare with Kraken list against Fiona and a Galleon.
The Kraken, fully charged and with two corpse tokens barely scratched the Galleon.

I'm not too terribly impressed by it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Desert Circle is go!

Next up in the queue, Golden Jackal Argii.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Excelsiortothemax posted:

My press ganger used his pSkare with Kraken list against Fiona and a Galleon.
The Kraken, fully charged and with two corpse tokens barely scratched the Galleon.

I'm not too terribly impressed by it so far.

I'm not sure what colossal would have done more damage in the same situation. That should have been 45-55 damage, so that seems like it should have been more than a scratch.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
1 damage on the first attack and 30 on the next. Everyone laughed at that first round.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Paper Kaiju posted:

Desert Circle is go!

Next up in the queue, Golden Jackal Argii.

I like the combination of the tan and teal.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Some WIP shots of denny. Not really happy with how the face turned out, not really sure how to fix it.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Unless you're planning on resculpting her entire head, i'd suggest toning down the eye glow, right now its drawing too much attention to her crazy cheekbones.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Calico Noose posted:

Unless you're planning on resculpting her entire head, i'd suggest toning down the eye glow, right now its drawing too much attention to her crazy cheekbones.

I think it looks great :colbert:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I think it looks ok, but the shading and texture makes it look slightly chalky and as if she has chocolate around her mouth. Maybe redo the skin slightly, and shade with grey instead of black?

Willeh fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 11, 2013

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I think it looks great :colbert:

It does look really good, but just saying that doesn't help solve his DennyHead problem.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Willeh posted:

I think it looks ok, but the shading and texture makes it look slightly chalky and as if she has chocolate around her mouth. Maybe redo the skin slightly, and shade with grey instead of black?

Not to be painful, but we all realise the image is like a million times bigger than the actual model right?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Just don't be too disappointed in your ARM 22 super jacks when they meet Mulg and get insta-pulped.

How much should I worry about this? I was thinking of gettign Karchev when mate gets Mulg, and then slingshot mechs on him till he drops :colbert:

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Keep in mind that where Mulg goes Doomshaper isn't far behind and with that comes Dire Troll Missiles.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Tias posted:

How much should I worry about this? I was thinking of gettign Karchev when mate gets Mulg, and then slingshot mechs on him till he drops :colbert:

As someone who has played this match up many, many times(from the trollblood, using Edoomshaper side), its not terribly bad for either player as long as your on the same skill level. It basically becomes one giant game of chicken, seeing which player is able to rocket off their jack or beast first.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Got in a few games with my new favorite list at this weekend's tournament. Unfortunately it isn't retribution (Yes, the pink Ret in the picture are mine, and I am from Iowa)

But enough of that, here is what I took, there was another list but it was terrible and I made it because the tournament required 2.

Xerxis
Gladiator
Sentry
Bronzeback
Tibbers
Krea
full Gators
taskmaster
min beasthandlers

Basically a wall of meat. My goal was colossal hunting, but wanted to try the list vs various styles and lists, and I got exactly that.

1st game was vs double Galleon w/Bart -
Tibbers gives no fucks about Bart feat, and charged and knocked one galleon down to 5 hp (was too far out to get tusks and shield on him or would have killed him), Xerxis lives through the assassination attempt by the other galleon, who is now staring down 4 unhurt elephants and my opponent decided the galleon couldn't kill them all in time as they were only about 7 inches away. Bronzeback squishes other galleon and gets in countercharge position to kill anything attempting to run into the zone to contest. Win on scenario

2nd game was vs eLyllith gunline -
I take a little damage on the way in from fire as we are a brick and all get swathed in fire templates every turn. Nothing all that damaging though, direct hits bounce off krea'd def warded elephants with shields. Finally get there and bronzeback kills both ravagores, then punches lylith once for good measure, forcing a transfer to the terraph as it was a one shot kill. Tibbers clears any other beasts, gators clear the other side of the board and Sentry runs to engage the last archers on the flag. Win on scenario

3rd game was vs Skarr infantry spam
This was one of the questions I had for the list, I knew it could kill Colassals, I knew it could weather a gunline, but how to deal with 20+ mechanithralls, banes, raiders and the like. Lost my first elephant of the day to powerswelled, Skarr-feated raiders. Things did not look so good. Trampled through with the others (and some gators clearing off the living models) to get to the zone. Camped there with a Xerxis-feated (for arm, didn't need the extra damage vs all infantry)def warded Tibbers. 8 banes knights charge in...best moment of the tourney for me, the Cryx players looks up and says "pow 11 weaponmasters charging" and I get to reply "dice minus 14". Tibbers takes 7 damage and I try and set up a kill on Skarr, got ahead of myself and tried throwing a bane at the mechanithrall in the way, only to realize I had tried with the wrong elephant...silly Sentry, throwing is for gladiators. Eventually a trample lane opens and Tibbers rumbles through and one-shots Skarr after just tanking banes for a couple of turns.

I definitely need more practice with it, and it has some terrible match-ups, but the list is a blast to play, easy to transport (16 models) and has alot more tricks than it looks like it does.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Mr.Booger, that list looks like a blast to play. When you say you brick up, how do you usually do it? Is it just a base-to-base wall of titans stretched out horizontally screening Xerxis?

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
you make a little wedge or semi circle shape that fits the Krea and Xerxis (remember he can walk 7 with his battle order thingy on himself) inside it so everything is with 2" of the Krea, Tibbers on the outer edge next to the taskmaster (so he can shield guard it) with the gators out to one side within taskmaster's command.

If something light comes in the gators can help clear the edges of reach models so the titans can trample out. Use of Bump and Locker get really fun when something big comes in. Remember you can get the gators to p+s 18 with fury and taskmaster, so a flanking jack can have a nasty surprise if they decide to go at the "squishy" part of the army.

Only use the beasthandlers to enrage if you think you really need it, otherwise just clear fury off beasts.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Not a criticism, but bricks are my least favorite lists to play. I understand that they can be pretty effective, but I'm not happy unless my army is on the opponents half of the board by the bottom of turn 2.

Nice to see you held up against a Lylyth2 gunline. How did you place in the tournament?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

So basically you trashed two Galleons without losing a single heavy? gently caress, that's demoralizing for a merc player to read. I basically have no idea what to do against Skorne lists with all those beasts, they basically mash the gently caress out of everything we have and I can never seem to bring them down. My current best strategy seems to be:

1) Clog the board with cheap bodies (Steelheads and Risen)
2) Hope enemy player dies of old age/has to leave before he can kill dozens of dudes
3) Lose

If Galleon can't go head to head with them, I just don't know what the gently caress. :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm just more terrified that Xerxis can run that many beasts effectively.

He's a huge beatstick, he shouldn't be able to do that :ohdear:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Wait until you play against Saeryn if you want to see beast horde.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:siren:Funhaving post time:siren:

In my ongoing effort to always field a model before dismissing it, I've begun experimenting with Cryxian Revenant Crew. What I've found is the following:

*Never follow "advice" from the Privateer forums.
*Don't buy the max unit. Buy the min one and if you really want a lot of them field riflemen instead of the max. In fact, get the goddamn riflemen.
*When CRAing with your three rifles, have the model doing the shooting forfeit its movement for that extra +2. No one expects a RAT 9 range 14 pow 13 attack from Cryx.
*Keep your unit commander far back. Keep him secret, keep him safe.
*You don't need Rengrave, but Rengrave makes the min unit investment worth it as soon as you kill some models with him. Also, he makes the riflemen CRA at RAT 11 which is just stupid. Expect him to die.
*They look weak compared to basically all other Cryx infantry but have no problem hurting anything in practice. Skarre, Gaspy, Denny, Terminus, it doesn't really matter who you field them with, they will kill things and will do so with two attacks each.
*Charge them in to kill things. They will die in the retaliation. Then they respawn down by the leader and can get a second charge in for as long as your opponent lets you get away with it.

So in conclusion, a tricky unit with a bullseye-style weakness in the unit commander which, when properly covered for, provides me with an option I wouldn't have thought Cryx could get outside mercenaries. Highlights of my trials include sniping Wishnailer, Kovnik Joe and the Winterguard UA in full on death star mode. I'll need to remember Rengrave for when I try the Revenant cannons too.

Also, it makes me want to run the all-pirate force I've been dreaming of. Skarre, Ogrun boarders, ghost pirates, undead pirates, satyxis pirates, regular pirates and all nautical jacks.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

VogeGandire posted:

Unfortunately Skorne has pretty much the best beast support in the game, equaling or possibly beating Legion in that department. Plus, lets be honest...frenzying is only a problem if your opponent has models left after you have just killed everything.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, that ability to go for broke is what I really envy in the Fury mechanic. Go ahead and pump the poo poo out of a bunch of titans, they're destroy everything on the board so it doesn't matter if they frenzy. If I could drop six focus on a Nomad and have it explode the next turn I would 100% do it, because with six focus it would have a chance of handling some of those beasts.

As it is I really don't know what to do with them. I feel like I need to switch to Rhul just so that I can bring something with the durability and punch of the Driller, but even those don't hold up much better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Khisanth Magus posted:

Unfortunately Skorne has pretty much the best beast support in the game, equaling or possibly beating Legion in that department. Plus, lets be honest...frenzying is only a problem if your opponent has models left after you have just killed everything.

Yeah, I guess looking at it, Beastmasters are like, the be-all-end-all of fury management, considering they can just up and wipe all fury off a beast or automatically enrage them if they want.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
The trick is as long as the bronzeback is alive, just reave from him, the other titans won't frenzy within 6" of him. Then whip the fury off the other titans and let them fill up again.

It is a "Brick" army I guess, but with all the fancy tools it doesn't feel like one.
You have access to rush, beatback, bump, locker, Xerxis slams, slam-followup gladiator, bowling gators is always fun, lots of options. On the turn it breaks formation is does all kinds of damage, and you can let Xerxis take a few to the face on feat turn without too much worry.

I went 3-1 losing the game with my alt list to the ultimate winner of the tournament, a really good local Khador player. So the list I wanted to play did it's job, and the backup did what backups usually do and took one for the team.

Think I came in 5th or 6th, had good tiebreakers with only losing to the winner and 2 games of 5 cps each.

Mr.Booger fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 11, 2013

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Crossposted from the Miniatures Thread. Hope I'm not annoying too many people with my progress reports - for some reason I'm just really psyched about this game, my first test game was a blast and I can't wait until Wednesday when I'll get to play again.

Luebbi posted:

Still hard at work with my Cygnar, today I finished Stryker!

He's got a bit of a wonky eye, but I'm really happy with how he's come out. The highlights on the blue are the most involved I've ever done, with four stages (Cygnar Blue Base in the recesses, built up to 1/2 Cygnar Blue Highlight + 1/2 White). I figured when I've only got about 30 models on the table, I might as well go the extra mile when painting them up ;)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Luebbi posted:

Crossposted from the Miniatures Thread. Hope I'm not annoying too many people with my progress reports - for some reason I'm just really psyched about this game, my first test game was a blast and I can't wait until Wednesday when I'll get to play again.

It's definitely not an annoyance, your models are looking really drat good.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
F'n vibrant, man.

Very nice.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Luebbi posted:

Dude has Goku hair.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Protectorate getting Jack Marshals? Oh boy the whining will be glorious:

"Such is the power of faith in an Exemplar bastion seneschal that his presence allows brother bastions to endure impossible punishment while firmly holding the line against the Creator's enemies. Exemplar bastion seneschals are uniquely entrusted with the command of the Protectorate's warjacks in support of their fellow Exemplar knights, joining the power of those machines to the bastions' unbreakable wall. The Exemplar Bastion Seneschal solo comes in a blister (PIP 32090). A player may field up to two Exemplar Bastion Seneschals for each warcaster in a Protectorate army."

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Flipswitch posted:

"Such is the power of faith in an Exemplar bastion seneschal that his presence allows brother bastions to endure impossible punishment while firmly holding the line against the Creator's enemies. Exemplar bastion seneschals are uniquely entrusted with the command of the Protectorate's warjacks in support of their fellow Exemplar knights, joining the power of those machines to the bastions' unbreakable wall. The Exemplar Bastion Seneschal solo comes in a blister (PIP 32090). A player may field up to two Exemplar Bastion Seneschals for each warcaster in a Protectorate army."

That is awesome. Wonder what drive he will have. Any ideas what that blurb means for what he gives bastions?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The holding the line part makes me think of Defensive Line or Unyielding, the latter part "joining the power of those machines to the bastions' unbreakable wall"?

This makes me really wishlist for either part of the Bastions Bond (that would be dumb) or flank (even dumber), or a defensive buff for being near him. Can't think of any off the top of my head though.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
They are making it very hard to leave the Masked God

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Flipswitch posted:

And to think I was considering offloading my Protectorate...I wonder if we're going to see more stuff that attempts to make Pile O' Jacks a viable counter vs Colossal/Gargantuan skew lists.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I've been struggling with my list, trying to figure out which was more important, taking Sword Knights to make a bit of a tarwall, or using a Hunter marshalled by the ATGM officer. Then I realized: Why not take them both and drop Black 13th! That left me with this:

Captain Allister Caine (*5pts)
* Ol' Rowdy (9pts)
* Squire (2pts)
Reinholdt, Gobber Speculator (1pts)
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts) (6pts)
* Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer (2pts)
* * Hunter (6pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Sword Knights (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Journeyman Warcaster (3pts)

I rather think it looks fun, Jr makes the sword knights 10 models at 13/19, [and later arm21 forgies]. The downside is that I lose Gorman and/or eEiryss, both of which are pretty useful. It's basically stripping out the support for more meat. Thoughts? (I know that sword knights aren't the preferred tarpit, but they're the ones I like the models best for)

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

That is awesome. Wonder what drive he will have. Any ideas what that blurb means for what he gives bastions?

I could be that the blurb mentions the words "Line" and "Wall", but I get the odd feeling that he may have Defensive Line as an elite cadre ability with Bastions and the Iron Wall ability for any warjacks under his control. Drive could be anything though, if he even has one.

I'm curious what it would mean to have a (presumably) 3 point Jack Marshall in Protectorate. I'm getting some obvious flashbacks to the Man o War Kovnik from Khador, but Menoth has access to the Choir and Vassals, as well as a better pool of jacks to pick from that lend themselves to being Marshalled.

What do you Menoth goons think?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Cygnar needs a storm choir unit now.

It might actually happen given that the Convergence seems to be an entire faction borne of the admission that warjacks don't really work.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Clearly it'll have Field Officer: Exemplar Cinerators. Might as well steal all of Khadors unused tricks while you're at it. :v:
Probably works better in the Protectorate than it does in Khador, it doesn't seem like a great idea, especially without access to Power Booster. Might be more survivable than the Kovnik if he has Iron Sentinel or Iron Wall though, as he might end up with a DEF rating that isn't atrocious.
Marshalls are okay, but units seem preferable over solos. At least you don't lose a good ten points from a single attack that way.

Edit:
I forgot about Reclaimers. Still seems iffy with melee warjacks, but I guess there's a point to it with some ranged lights.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
A low focus jack like the Vanquisher or the Repenter (since you just need to hit to set things on fire) would love this.

This will make eFeroa even more deadly and allow low Focus casters like High Reclaimer/Testament and Thyra more jacks on the field, which is always a great thing.

Kreoss2 will also like this as it will allow more focus for FoS during feat turn.

Reckoner needs two focus to really be worth it's points so its not really worth it.

The Sanctifier would also benefit from it as its focus efficient as well.

If you can JM the Avatar then it would be an auto include in any list. The free pseudo-focus would be amazing since at the lowest the Avatar would have 3 focus and it would make it max out at 5.

Edit: I also think that if the Seneschal has Sanguine Bond then it will be 5 points. It's just too good otherwise.

Excelsiortothemax fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 12, 2013

• Locked thread