Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
Yeah I saw that before, but the VM's need to restart with a host failure.. Can your SAN handle a bootstorm of that many VMs simultaneously without making GBS threads the bed?
What I was getting at was with a bigger cluster of smaller specced hosts the impact of a host loss is much smaller, and it's easier to accommodate the failover capacity in the cluster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What do you guys think is the sweet spot for power of a machine vs price? We bought Dell R710s that have two chips for around $10k each, but I would have felt a lot better buying single chip machines for $5k each. But Intel only has E5 chips in the latest generation that are for dual socket boards, so the best you could do is buy the R610 with two sockets and leave one empty for $7k.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GrandMaster posted:

Who's gunna be the scrub when a host fails and takes out 700 VMs in one hit? :colbert:
Haha, x3850s don't fail, that's why they cost $75,000.

FISHMANPET posted:

What do you guys think is the sweet spot for power of a machine vs price? We bought Dell R710s that have two chips for around $10k each, but I would have felt a lot better buying single chip machines for $5k each. But Intel only has E5 chips in the latest generation that are for dual socket boards, so the best you could do is buy the R610 with two sockets and leave one empty for $7k.
We're currently buying IBM x3550 M4 1U boxes, dual-socket, with 256 GB of RAM. Sandy Bridge makes it so easy to build a whole VMware farm on 1U pizzaboxes :shobon:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

I work in a really small environment but I'm investigating virtualizing our entire setup w/VMWare. (As a side note, I'd love if somebody here wants to PM me for some general advice about the project and if it's even feasible).

In any event, part of the virtualization would include our UTM, which has a virtual appliance image available. There would be three subnets, two of which that would reside solely in the VM server and one that would have to connect to the physical LAN. And WAN uplink of course.

I'm trying to envision how exactly to accomplish this. If I understand correctly, I need to do the following:

- Create 1 "internal" switch that hosts the VM-only subnets, no pNICs attached.
- Create 1 "external" switches, with pNICs going out to WAN/LAN.
- The UTM VM would have one vNIC in the internal switch, and two vNIC in the external switch (one LAN, one WAN).

Am I on the right track here?

You kinda sound like you are doing what movax was doing a few pages back.

What kind of servers and services are you looking at outside of your UTM?

Martytoof posted:

A little setup for my question:

- I just upgraded my "Mac" to two SSDs. One for Windows, one for MacOS.
- MacOS is physically on one SSD, Windows is physically installed on the second SSD.
- I am using (latest/greatest) VMware Fusion on MacOS to run the Windows partition as a "Boot Camp" image.

Will VMware Fusion take advantage of TRIM on the second SSD? Should I be worried that the emulated hardware will not support TRIM? When I boot the Windows partition directly (not virtualized) I can verify that TRIM is up and running, however I'm not exactly certain how adding virtualization comes into play here.

I'm going to crosspost this to the MacOS thread just in case.

If OSX supports TRIM and is enabled to support it yes it will. Fusion is a Type 2 Hypervisor I believe, to the disk it will just look like a program is doing a bunch of I/O.

GrandMaster posted:

Yeah I saw that before, but the VM's need to restart with a host failure.. Can your SAN handle a bootstorm of that many VMs simultaneously without making GBS threads the bed?
What I was getting at was with a bigger cluster of smaller specced hosts the impact of a host loss is much smaller, and it's easier to accommodate the failover capacity in the cluster.
That is something you have to consider when building an environment, however with the introduction of FLASH in most SAN/NAS devices, boot storms aren't as troublesome as they use to be. EMC's FAST CACHE in the VNX's are a good example of how they can help reduce impacts of bootstorms https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qmxMVPqo_o

FISHMANPET posted:

This really depends on a number of factors such as;
What is the VM services is the VM supporting the the company?
How much resources is the VM taking up?
What is the value of the Infrastructure the VM is supporting?
What is the VM's estimated ROI?

Scaling up hosts vs. Scaling out hosts is a tricky thing sometimes, as scaling out can often occur more than just the cost of a new server, there are a few things you have to take into effect such as;
Cost per network uplinks used to connect the server, and if needed additional switching for the new host.
Average host maintenance a year(BIOS, firmware, driver, and esxi updates)
Power and Cooling costs of the additional host(s).
And there are more factors to consider as well.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 8, 2013

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Misogynist posted:

Haha, x3850s don't fail, that's why they cost $75,000.

You've clearly had a better IBM experience than me, all of our x3850/x3950s have been really unreliable. Mind you, these were a much older generation - from 7040 procs through to 51xx on our 3850's so maybe they got better. IBM also stopped certifying the hardware for ESX5+ when our dell kit from the same generation (PE2950's) are still good to go.

Corvettefisher posted:

EMC's FAST CACHE in the VNX's are a good example of how they can help reduce impacts of bootstorms

Our new VNX5500 is due to land next thursday, with fast cache and fast vp. Building new datacenters is fun :D

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

cheese-cube posted:

What model is the blade?

We have one 8853L5U, two 8853L6U, two 7995G6U, and a 8853PRL. The manuals say the 8853s all max out at 16 GB (4x4GB) (or 32 GB if we get an expansion blade) and the manuals for the 7995s say they max out at 32 GB (8x4GB)

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

GrandMaster posted:

Our new VNX5500 is due to land next thursday, with fast cache and fast vp. Building new datacenters is fun :D

Nice! The VNX's are really good for what you get, I am eager to see how some of the nimble stuff stacks against it.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
For those of you who remember me posting questions over the past year about my weird NFS disconnects happening with my Netapp, well it looks like its finally officially a bug:
http://virtualstorageguy.com/2013/02/08/heads-up-avoiding-vmware-vsphere-esxi-5-nfs-disconnect-issues/

For me it got solved when I upgraded my 2020 to a 2240 but I wish they would have figured this out sooner. Netapp pointed the finger at VMware, VMware pointed the finger at Netapp. I could have saved a ton of troubleshooting time if they figured this out sooner.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GrandMaster posted:

I started building our new cluster yesterday - 16x Dell M620 2xE5-2670 / 256GB RAM
Customized ISO & kickstart scripts saved my life, the cluster was built in a day! Would rather gouge my eyes out than configure the same 20 portgroups on each host.
use a dvswitch, takes like 5 minutes for us to configure networking on a host.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah really, you just need (maybe) one vSwitch for management.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah really, you just need (maybe) one vSwitch for management.
Strongly recommended. I was a dumbass once and changed the VLAN on our production vSwitch (thought it was DR side) for the management network. It was fun getting back into it.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

adorai posted:

use a dvswitch, takes like 5 minutes for us to configure networking on a host.

No money left in the budget for the uplift to ent+ licensing :(

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.

GrandMaster posted:

You've clearly had a better IBM experience than me, all of our x3850/x3950s have been really unreliable. Mind you, these were a much older generation - from 7040 procs through to 51xx on our 3850's so maybe they got better. IBM also stopped certifying the hardware for ESX5+ when our dell kit from the same generation (PE2950's) are still good to go.
Ditto. I have nothing but horrible experiences with IBM, though primarily on the support side. I'm running a handful of x3650's of varying generations paired with a DS3300 SAN with an expansion. I've had a handful of failed drives - haven't really had much of a major event besides some SAN thrashing that was a huge headache, but it wasn't a hardware issue.

I took over the IT dept at my company a few years ago after my then boss quit and moved onto another company. Turns out he hadn't updated the firmwares of anything in forever and we were on VMware 3.5. During the process of getting everything up to spec prior to moving to 5.0u1, IBM managed to fry the UEFI on two of our servers because they didn't provide the proper firmware updates. We were so far behind that they should have had us hop to a certain level before attempting to get us to the latest version. The 2nd time this happened, I told them what happened the first time and questioned if we needed to hop to a previous version before attempting yet they assured me it would work.

Another time, a hard drive failed on a RAID-5 array at our satellite office that only has one host and no SAN. An apparent firmware bug caused the wrong drive to illuminate its error light and subsequently, I yanked a good drive out of a RAID-5 array when another drive was already down. IBM ended up throwing their hands up in the air and told me to recover from backup. I was able to rebuild the array no thanks to them.

Also, when you're paying thousands of dollars for a support contract annually, not being able to be connected to a technician immediately for a production server down incident is loving asinine. My experiences with VMware's support is the polar opposite. I have nothing but good things to say about their support team.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

goobernoodles posted:

Also, when you're paying thousands of dollars for a support contract annually, not being able to be connected to a technician immediately for a production server down incident is loving asinine.
We should probably start a whole new thread for vendor support grievances.

IBM does this -- without hassle or even a question -- but they don't readily disclose the process. Open up a ticket using the online ESC+ tool. As soon as you have your confirmation that the ticket was submitted and you have a case number, call 1-800-IBM-SERV and get somebody, anybody, on the phone. Once you have a warm body, the second they start to ask you for your personal information, ask to speak with the National Duty Manager. You can escalate your case immediately from there. If you want, they'll often stay on the call with you and the technician until they're satisfied you have the resolution you're looking for.

Our issue is that one of the engineers in my group is hearing-impaired, which obviously makes this telephone-based route rather difficult. The National Duty Manager I spoke to about this had no idea herself how someone with a hearing impairment is supposed to escalate a case. :shobon:

IBM's support is really rather good from a personnel and policy standpoint, but their processes are dumb.

goobernoodles posted:

I took over the IT dept at my company a few years ago after my then boss quit and moved onto another company. Turns out he hadn't updated the firmwares of anything in forever and we were on VMware 3.5. During the process of getting everything up to spec prior to moving to 5.0u1, IBM managed to fry the UEFI on two of our servers because they didn't provide the proper firmware updates. We were so far behind that they should have had us hop to a certain level before attempting to get us to the latest version. The 2nd time this happened, I told them what happened the first time and questioned if we needed to hop to a previous version before attempting yet they assured me it would work.
You will have this problem with every major vendor at some point. I've had it with Dell, HP, IBM, HDS, and a handful of other vendors at different times. Check the release notes for the supported upgrade path, regardless of what the tech tells you, and if someone gives you bad information make sure to raise hell about it someone with "Global" in their job title is in a conference room with you.

I'm really surprised you hit this problem on M2+ servers, though, at least in a way serious enough to impact production. We've botched firmware upgrades and been able to restore to the factory UEFI image automatically.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 9, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows whether HyperV supports TRIM on their VHDs, e.g. to compact them when using them with a not-Windows OS? And if so, I suppose any writes done without the synthetic drivers won't be affected?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
loving great the vSGA demo got cancelled for PEX.... I am pretty pissed.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
So, has anyone gone through and implemented SSL certs on an existing environment that was setup using self signed? If so, any kind of "gotchas" going along with this?

I just discovered that our devs setup a CA setup. I am hoping to assign certs to our vCenter server as well as on each host.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Not really just follow the Whitepaper and it should be fairly straight forward.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Not really just follow the Whitepaper and it should be fairly straight forward.

Thanks. Just wanted to check to see if there was anything I was blatantly missing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Moey posted:

Thanks. Just wanted to check to see if there was anything I was blatantly missing.

I came across a script for this a while back, may or may not be worth the time vs. doing it manually depending on how many hosts you're talking about.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I have old phone server software that I installed on a Windows 2000 Server VM using Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 R2. The software has a hardware key that plugs into a parallel port. We forwarded the port to the VM, however the VM is not recognizing the hardware key. I noticed that one workaround that people are using for USB hardware keys is to plug them into an Network-Attached USB hub. Do you think that I could get away with plugging a USB to parallel adapter into a Network-Attached USB hub or is there an easier way to get the parallel port hardware key working? I do have a parallel card in the server. Also, would running Hyper-V as an administrator make any difference? Does VMWare have better support for parallel ports?

I'm not too experienced with virtual machines, so sorry if some my questions are a bit basic.

Thank you in advance for any help.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Aniki posted:

I have old phone server software that I installed on a Windows 2000 Server VM using Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008 R2. The software has a hardware key that plugs into a parallel port. We forwarded the port to the VM, however the VM is not recognizing the hardware key. I noticed that one workaround that people are using for USB hardware keys is to plug them into an Network-Attached USB hub. Do you think that I could get away with plugging a USB to parallel adapter into a Network-Attached USB hub or is there an easier way to get the parallel port hardware key working? I do have a parallel card in the server. Also, would running Hyper-V as an administrator make any difference? Does VMWare have better support for parallel ports?

I'm not too experienced with virtual machines, so sorry if some my questions are a bit basic.

Thank you in advance for any help.
In my experience getting hardware licensing HASPs to work with a USB to parrallel adapter is hit or miss, but if it works with the cable, it should be trivial to use the USB to LAN hub. We do it and other than it occassionally needing to be reconnected, it's been pretty good.

talaena
Aug 30, 2003

Danger Mouse! Power House!
Quite probably a dumb question, but I've finally given up trying to figure out what I've missed. I P2V'd my work laptop using converter and dropped the file onto my home computer. I booted up w/ VMware Workstation just fine into Win7 once. I removed what physical devices I thought I saw and then rebooted. I cannot get back into normal mode but I can get into safe mode. I lock hard while booting into Win7, have to Reset power to get it back.

I feel like such a dork, I can't figure out how to troubleshoot windows not booting. I've quite literally have never had this issue and am stumped. I'd like a log file or something to indicate where the heck it's hanging.

If this doesn't work, it's just an exercise. I wanted to P2V my laptop so I could run the VPN from within workstation and leave my physical laptop at work. They only assign us one RSA soft token, and it's on the laptop. Would've been nice to run my 'laptop' from within my home PC and work from home over the VPN.

I'm not entirely sure the RSA token would work from within a VM, I'm not keen on how RSA soft tokens authenticate to the 'host' it's on; if at all. SecureID is witchcraft for all I know. An Escalation Engineer at my office said he's done the converter process. I's possible he's loving with me just to watch me flounder, but he seemed sincere.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It's been a while, as we stopped using our RSA system, but I think if you can get the original seed file for your token you can install the soft token in multiple places. I recall having the softtoken on my laptop and my phone and either one could be used.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

talaena posted:

Quite probably a dumb question, but I've finally given up trying to figure out what I've missed. I P2V'd my work laptop using converter and dropped the file onto my home computer. I booted up w/ VMware Workstation just fine into Win7 once. I removed what physical devices I thought I saw and then rebooted. I cannot get back into normal mode but I can get into safe mode. I lock hard while booting into Win7, have to Reset power to get it back.

I'm not an expert by any means, but the conversion process should remove any "physical" hardware at the point the conversion is done - or at least anything detrimental to the operation of the machine. If it booted up fine after the initial you probably didn't need to remove anything from device manager. If you were told something different I'd certainly trust your tech more though.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

skipdogg posted:

It's been a while, as we stopped using our RSA system, but I think if you can get the original seed file for your token you can install the soft token in multiple places. I recall having the softtoken on my laptop and my phone and either one could be used.

The distributed token file may optionally contain information to lock it to a single host (I believe this is based on the serial of the HD the token store resides on for Win/OSX tokens, unless you're using some other storage like a USB token). If your org is using this they would have asked you for the DeviceSerialNumber (which you can find in the software token application under Options > Token Storage Devices) when you requested the token.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

talaena posted:

What devices did you remove following the initial successful boot?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

adorai posted:

In my experience getting hardware licensing HASPs to work with a USB to parrallel adapter is hit or miss, but if it works with the cable, it should be trivial to use the USB to LAN hub. We do it and other than it occassionally needing to be reconnected, it's been pretty good.

Ok, I'll try plugging in a USB to parallel adapter to the server and see if I can get that working tonight, though it is good to know that the USB to LAN hub likely won't make a difference.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It can be really hit or miss whether the USB2LAN device works with your particular token though. And DR is still annoying to plan for.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

evil_bunnY posted:

It can be really hit or miss whether the USB2LAN device works with your particular token though. And DR is still annoying to plan for.

I think my plan is to try the USB to Parallel adapter first and if that doesn't work, then I'll consider trying VMWare (currently using Hyper-V) or ordering the USB2LAN hub. The hardware key is for Call Cener Worx v. 2.1, which was released in 2001 and can only run on Windows NT based operating systems and for some reason they stopped purchasing updates after that. I know that the USB keys they released later on were finicky and I'm not sure if the parallel key we have is supposed to be any better.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here run KVM in a serious business environment?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

adorai posted:

I sure do! Running very stripped down CentOS installs on Dell machines as the hypervisor layer. We use shared storage to allow hot migrations of the VMs for easier maintenance of the host systems (either DRBD or FC/SAS multihost disk arrays). We push all traffic for some pretty large web applications through our VMs, and everything except the Oracle database is virtualized. We're running nGinx (for load balancing and SSL), Apache, and bunch of Java and Python middle tier apps. High traffic days are just shy of a thousand requests per second hitting the front ends. Our production environment has 8 hosts with 40-ish VMs, giving us lots of room to move poo poo around for patches and firmware updates. Our non-production environment for testing, continuous integration, support services and what not is pretty much exactly the same model with the addition of centralized NFS storage for about half of the VMs (and has roughly 100 VMs now).

Guest OSes are all Redhat or Centos 5 and 6, Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows Server 2008r2.

So far KVM has been really nice and rock solid for us, no weird guest crashes or weirdness that we've seen. Did you have any specific questions, or were you just wondering if anyone does it?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Those of you running giant VMs: how is co-scheduling in ESXi 5.1? I have a Puppet server I'd really like to scale up before scaling out, but I'm debating whether trying to go 6 vCPUs on a VM will help or hurt here. The hosts are 2×8-core Sandy Bridge servers.

hackedaccount
Sep 28, 2009

adorai posted:

RHEV where I work.

Most of the companies that use OpenStack use KVM as their hypervisor too.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Less Fat Luke posted:

Did you have any specific questions, or were you just wondering if anyone does it?
really just looking for the warm and fuzzy that someone actually does it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Those of you running giant VMs: how is co-scheduling in ESXi 5.1? I have a Puppet server I'd really like to scale up before scaling out, but I'm debating whether trying to go 6 vCPUs on a VM will help or hurt here. The hosts are 2×8-core Sandy Bridge servers.

Depends on how saturated the box you are putting this on is already. I don't really have any problem with some of the 4vcpu VM's on my E5649 6c/12t Westmere CPU's, the box isn't incredibly saturated however, it is only running about 12 or so non high load VM's. Haven't tested 6 though.

On a different topic, does anyone else LOVE view 5.1.2 as much as I do? I sure do love the Tshooting, most things end up being "Well just rebuild the service/module/environment". Thanks for rushing View 5.1.x VMware, really appreciate the lack of QA.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

adorai posted:

really just looking for the warm and fuzzy that someone actually does it.
Yeah I'd vouch for it anytime. The only thing in our setup that gave us grief was rolling our own clustered NFS with DRBD. It works fine now, but there were a lot of loving annoying stumbling blocks along the way to get it there and in the end it's probably less time and grief just to buy commercial network storage.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah I'd vouch for it anytime. The only thing in our setup that gave us grief was rolling our own clustered NFS with DRBD. It works fine now, but there were a lot of loving annoying stumbling blocks along the way to get it there and in the end it's probably less time and grief just to buy commercial network storage.

Do you have any tips on working with DRBD? I'm basically implementing a replicating SAN in linux using DRBD since our applications aren't allowed to have RDMs presented to them for storage. It's stupid but whatever. I'm just hoping there aren't any obvious gotchas.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Goon Matchmaker posted:

Do you have any tips on working with DRBD? I'm basically implementing a replicating SAN in linux using DRBD since our applications aren't allowed to have RDMs presented to them for storage. It's stupid but whatever. I'm just hoping there aren't any obvious gotchas.
DRBD is incredibly fragile and breaks all the time and you're going to want to kill yourself. Other than this, have a great time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Misogynist posted:

DRBD is incredibly fragile and breaks all the time and you're going to want to kill yourself. Other than this, have a great time!

Don't tell me this :(

Edit: Just found lsyncd. This suits our needs way better than DRBD and should be more reliable.

Goon Matchmaker fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 14, 2013