Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

swagger like us posted:

Id like some opinion on this. Im a white belt, been training for a year and a half total training time. Back in November I switched to a Gracie Barra place in town instead of my MMA gym. At the MMA gym, we did Mon/Wed Gi BJJ (with a really good brown belt), and Tues/Thurs it was No-gi, followed by muay thai by another really good, actual muay thai instructor. Sat was open mat/no-gi. Because I work every single Wed night, I always missed one day of Gi BJJ a week, and back in november I was really missing it. So, I decided to switch over to Gracie Barra because I wanted to switch things up. They do Gi BJJ Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri, and a no-gi/boxing class on wed (which I again, miss for work).

Now with a mix of scheduling and my probable ADHD, Im missing no-gi and muay thai again. Is there anyway you guys think Im going to be able to talk to my current Gracie Barra instructor and explain to him that Im only leaving because I wanna do some no-gi and muay thai, and that I may return? Or should I just plan for this being one of those "bridge burning" events?

I wish there wasn't so much drama between clubs in this goddamn sport. I realize its a combat sport so these things come naturally, but I should be able to go between schools when really, Im switching sports for a few months at a time because Im bored. I realize this probably isnt the best for my "skills" or whatever, but the fact that I've lost motivation because Im bored with Gi just shows that I need to switch it up back to no-gi.

It sucks because my two options are basically, I have to focus on gi or no-gi. I don't really have an option because both clubs (the only clubs in town Im willing to go to) have this schedule that doesn't work for me.

How would you guys approach this? I dont want to be basically banned from the Gracie Barra place because I may be joining one of their affiliates when I move in the Fall (because they have day classes which not a lot of places have).

I train like a wandering vagrant and most schools don't care. As long as I adhere to their rules. Some gyms like us to go a bit harder in sparring and rolling, some don't want us doing leg locks or wrist locks, some places require a gi some places require specific poo poo like a white sleeved Rashie because you're a white belt. I usually find a work around for most of the hard laws like patches on my gi and there's not usually an issue. I just pay in cash and remain polite and respectful and never ask a question like "but I got taught this way..."

There's usually a work around. I think most bad blood is overblown, but most times I just talk to instructors and tell them I can't get everything I need or want under one roof but I love what they teach and wish to come when I can or when I choose to. I'm yet to have someone tell me not to come back, though I have been asked not to use techniques I learned from Kyokushin in a MT sparring session before which was a bit of a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Don't take this poorly because we were all white belts at one point:

You're just a white belt with a year and a half. No one is going to freak out about what you do. If you don't draw attention to yourself in a negative way, odds are very high no one is going to remember you from an old gym within a month or two and even if they do they won't care because you probably don't have much as far as personal relationships. I've trained bjj for 6 years and cant even estimate how many people have come and gone in that time, probably thousands. The guys above me might have a decade or more and have seen even more people come and go.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Xguard86 posted:

Don't take this poorly because we were all white belts at one point:

You're just a white belt with a year and a half. No one is going to freak out about what you do. If you don't draw attention to yourself in a negative way, odds are very high no one is going to remember you from an old gym within a month or two and even if they do they won't care because you probably don't have much as far as personal relationships. I've trained bjj for 6 years and cant even estimate how many people have come and gone in that time, probably thousands. The guys above me might have a decade or more and have seen even more people come and go.
I completely agree, only reason I asked is simply because I live in a small town, with a small BJJ/MMA community, so thats the only reason I asked, not because I think Im something special enough to be noticed that I left. But, thanks to everyone for the advice, Ill be sure to talk to everyone involved to make sure. Hopefully I dont get barred or anything from the place Im leaving, but theres nothing I can do about that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I didn't mean to say that they wont care at all, or saying you dont matter. Just keeping perspective that its probably going to be okay.

Part of being a white belt is that you don't owe your gym very much either. If a dude came to bjj for a month or a year or whatever and left to do something else or go another gym, I would say good on him for trying it and no hard feelings that its not his thing or our gym isn't the gym for him. I've tried enough stuff and decided its not for me to understand that and respect it. A good coach/gym should too.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Not that I have a glut of options where I'm at, but is there anything in particular I should look for at a BJJ place, or any kind of martial arts school for that matter? Anything that should be a warning sign to avoid the gym at all costs?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

LobsterMobster posted:

Not that I have a glut of options where I'm at, but is there anything in particular I should look for at a BJJ place, or any kind of martial arts school for that matter? Anything that should be a warning sign to avoid the gym at all costs?

I would try and check out the head instructors lineage and see if it looks legit. Most places will have that stuff posted on their website. Google the name of the school and instructor and see what pops up, either positive or negative. Sometimes you can look around at local grappling competition websites and see if the name of the school pops up anywhere in the results (although this can be skewed towards larger schools/affiliates).

Probably the best thing to do is to drop by and take a free class, get a feel for the place yourself, and politely ask the instructor any questions you might have.

I would be more on the skeptical side of MMA centric schools if your looking to get into BJJ. Not that they won't necessarily have a great BJJ program, but those types of places are where you will run into less than ideal grappling programs.

edit: i no rite gud

MycroftXXX fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 11, 2013

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

MycroftXXX posted:

I would try and check out the head instructors lineage and see if it looks legit. Most places will have that stuff posted on their website. Google the name of the school and instructor and see what pops up, either positive or negative. Sometimes you can look around at local grappling competition websites and see if the name of the school pops up anywhere in the results (although this can be skewed towards larger schools/affiliates).

Probably the best thing to do is to drop by and take a free class, get a feel for the place yourself, and politely ask the instructor any questions you might have.

I would be more on the skeptical side of MMA centric schools if your looking to get into BJJ. Not they won't necessarily have a great BJJ program, but those types of place is where you will run less than ideal grappling programs.

Jiu jitsus!

Thanks for the info, I'll check them out, and there's either one or two other spots in town.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

MycroftXXX posted:

I would be more on the skeptical side of MMA centric schools if your looking to get into BJJ. Not they won't necessarily have a great BJJ program, but those types of place is where you will run less than ideal grappling programs.

Can you get into that a little more?

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Can you get into that a little more?

Wow, rereading that sentence is painful. Sorry about that.

In my limited experience trying out different gyms, I have noticed that its is not uncommon for smaller schools that bill themselves as MMA clubs to have BJJ programs that are not so good. A pattern I've noticed is they will have a guy who has blue or purple belt from somewhere, probably some college wrestling experience or kickboxing experience, and they usually don't train Gi. Obviously this is not the case of every place that labels themselves as an MMA school, but its just something I would recommend people look out for. There are plenty of MMA schools out there with excellent BJJ instructors/programs.

And again, I'm not exactly a world traveler in BJJ, this is just things I've noticed in my limited experience shopping around schools, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
That Ryan Hall article that got posted a while back is right on- the big thing to worry about in BJJ schools in hero worship. It's the instructor's job to help your unique fighting style emerge, so keep an eye on the guys who teach like their way is the only way. They'll give you a good foundation, but in the long run they'll stunt your growth if you let them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

If you pop over to ask/tell the martial arts thread op has some stuff, most of it already posted here but may help you.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

Just started BJJ and have taken about 15 classes in a Gi and one of my instructors asked if I wanted to join a tournament. I was a little nervous, since I don't have that much experience, but I just jumped in anyways to at least gauge where I am, and get some experience.

Here is my first match(in white Gi)! I ended up losing in points, but I did not get submitted by a 2 stripe white belt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScarU3Bx03E

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

MycroftXXX posted:

In my limited experience trying out different gyms, I have noticed that its is not uncommon for smaller schools that bill themselves as MMA clubs to have BJJ programs that are not so good. A pattern I've noticed is they will have a guy who has blue or purple belt from somewhere, probably some college wrestling experience or kickboxing experience, and they usually don't train Gi. Obviously this is not the case of every place that labels themselves as an MMA school, but its just something I would recommend people look out for. There are plenty of MMA schools out there with excellent BJJ instructors/programs.

And again, I'm not exactly a world traveler in BJJ, this is just things I've noticed in my limited experience shopping around schools, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Yeah I started out at an MMA gym. Within about 6-8 months I was one of the best guys there. 6 more months and I would beat everybody, including their MMA fighters really badly on the mat, except for a couple guys who I was even with, and one or two roaming purples who would drop in sometimes.

I left and went to a BJJ centric gym (where the instructor from the MMA gym trained) and I was getting destroyed a lot more. There were more guys with 4-5-6-8 years experience in strictly BJJ who were able to push my technique a lot harder than the wandering low level MMA guys I was on the mat with before.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

CivilDisobedience posted:

That Ryan Hall article that got posted a while back is right on- the big thing to worry about in BJJ schools in hero worship. It's the instructor's job to help your unique fighting style emerge, so keep an eye on the guys who teach like their way is the only way. They'll give you a good foundation, but in the long run they'll stunt your growth if you let them.

Unless I'm misreading what you wrote, I disagree. (I agree with the rest of your post, just not the part in bold.)

Pretty much all martial arts instructors/coaches everywhere offer what they offer and it is the student's job to succeed and/or develop their own stuff. The instructor is certainly responsible for teaching you some level of a base skill set, however it is up to the student to actually learn it.

I mean if really want to develop a style on foot and leg locks and I'm not doing all that I want with my coach or current gym. Then it is MY responsibility to go to some seminars, do some research, test some things.

Expecting to be spoon fed is stupid.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 12, 2013

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Senor P. posted:

Unless I'm misreading what you wrote, I disagree. (I agree with the rest of your post, just not the part in bold.)

Pretty much all martial arts instructors/coaches everywhere offer what they offer and it is the student's job to succeed and/or develop their own stuff. The instructor is certainly responsible for teaching you some level of a base skill set, however it is up to the student to actually learn it.

I mean if really want to develop a style on foot and leg locks and I'm not doing all that I want with my coach or current gym. Then it is MY responsibility to go to some seminars, do some research, test some things.

Expecting to be spoon fed is stupid.

A good instructor should recognize your natural strengths and make them stronger. He should recognize your natural weaknesses and help you compensate. I don't understand how you find this to be controversial. I have really good head and arm chokes compared to my other submissions. I've been coached a lot on getting into positions to execute them. At the same time I've been coached a lot on escaping from the bottom because I am not a strong wrestler and I'm big so I'm not super mobile. And yet, somehow, my coaches have supported my unique style of doing lots of arm triangles and d'arces. Also north/south chokes. I worship Jeff Monson :)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Are your toe-holds any good?

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Yes, they're deadly. No thanks to my instructor who just told us to do arm bars all day.:arghfist:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Novum posted:

Are your toe-holds any good?

Only when I do them Vitor Belfort style.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

What the ever-loving gently caress? :psyduck:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/12/wrestling-dropped-from-olympics_n_2667664.html

quote:

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) — An official familiar with the decision says IOC leaders have dropped wrestling from the program for the 2020 Olympics.

In a surprise decision Tuesday, the official tells The Associated Press that the IOC executive board decided to retain modern pentathlon and remove wrestling instead.

The official spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the decision hadn't been announced yet.

The IOC board reviewed the 26 sports on the current Olympic program. Eliminating one sport allows the International Olympic Committee to add a new sport to the program later this year.

If this is true then I don't understand the motivation or justification for that decision...

widunder
May 2, 2002
but hey, tkd is still there. awful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

:psyduck:

Why? What reason would they have for removing it? I mean, freestyle and greco-roman wrestling is one of the linchpins of the entire Olympics.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

nemoulette posted:

but hey, tkd is still there. awful.

And modern pentathalon was the other finalist to be dropped. Who the gently caress watches that.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
Yeah...looks like they added rugby and golf, and there's still one slot left over for something new. Wrestling, baseball+softball(lumped together as one), karate, roller spots, squash, sport climbing, wake boarding, and wushu are all candidates for that spot. Since wrestling was just removed from the regular program I figure the odds of it being re-added are minimal.

Golf.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

The crazy thing is that the 2020 olympics are going to be either in Istanbul, Tokyo or Madrid. Wrestling is huge in both Turkey and Japan, I can't imagine they'd be at all happy to see it scrapped.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Wakeboarding? Really? Instead of WRESTLING?

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

There's apparently a list of 39 different criteria these sports get judged on in this process and the first ones mentioned in our national media were live event attendance and TV viewership. Wouldn't mind taking a gander at a full list.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Everything I've read about the politics at the Olympics makes the Senate look like kindergarten. I'd be shocked if this had anything to do with wrestling as a sport as opposed to FILA's people not kissing the right rings or making the right payoffs.

e: Also any campaign to remove an equestrian sport from the Olympics will have to get through the combined lobbying efforts of anyone who ever made money selling horses to bored plutocrats.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 12, 2013

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Bushmeister posted:

There's apparently a list of 39 different criteria these sports get judged on in this process and the first ones mentioned in our national media were live event attendance and TV viewership. Wouldn't mind taking a gander at a full list.

Guessing its the same as this from 2012 http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Co...plines.docx.pdf

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Can't believe they are cutting the most quintessential Olympic Sport. Are they going to kill the Marathon next?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Check out this member of the IOC executive board...

quote:

Mr Juan Antonio SAMARANCH JR Entry in the IOC 2001
Country ESP (Spain) - Born 01 November 1959
Sports practised Skiing, golf, running, tennis

From Wikipedia:

quote:

He is a member of the International Olympic Committee since 2001, representing Spain. He's also a member of the Spanish Olympic Committee[2] and first vice-president of the International Modern Pentathlon Union since 1996.

A guy who is paid to be an advocate of Modern Pentathlon is a member of the IOC committee that chose not to eliminate Modern Pentathlon from the Olympics.

The IOC doesn't even pretend to hide blatant corruption.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, I'm not a wrestler or even really a fan of the legitimate form of it, but it's insane to get rid of an original sport that's a direct descendent of a ancient Olympic event to make room for golf. i don't even see why any events need to be axed, why not just grow the Olympics if they want to add events?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Pretty cowardly of the IOC to wait until Blatnick's dead to remove wrestling. Of course, he would have just thrown those dorks through a wall.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Goddamn it wrestling is a cool sport, why do they remove it, this is hosed up.

Thoguh posted:

Check out this member of the IOC executive board...

From Wikipedia:

A guy who is paid to be an advocate of Modern Pentathlon is a member of the IOC committee that chose not to eliminate Modern Pentathlon from the Olympics.

Modern Pentathlon is pretty much unwatchable as an olympic sport, it's so stupid.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 12, 2013

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Thoguh posted:

The Olympics is a way for very rich people to score bribes from unimaginably rich people. Also every four years they have a footrace.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I want to sit in on the part of the meeting where they discussed how squash and wakeboarding are good potential Olympic events but wrestling has no place.

Oh yeah, and wushu.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm alright with Karate becoming an event, if Judo is, Karate deserves to be too.

But squash and wakeboarding aren't Olympic at all.

And isn't Wushu just floor gymnastics with a prop?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Not to play devils advocate, but isn't it possible that wrestling is being threatend with being thrown out because it has become too tarred as corrupt even by IOC standards and it could be allowed back if it cleans up it's act and strange rulesets?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

Not to play devils advocate, but isn't it possible that wrestling is being threatend with being thrown out because it has become too tarred as corrupt even by IOC standards and it could be allowed back if it cleans up it's act and strange rulesets?

Then I would imagine boxing is next on the block since that was judged awfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DekeThornton posted:

Isn't boxing the most corrupt Olympic sport?