Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Oh if it's that basic: Model in quads, try keep it down to 4 edges per vertex. Sometimes it's unavoidable that you'll end up with triangles or points with more edges, but try hide those where you can in non-visible or critical areas of the model. Nothing wrong with modelling in many-sided polys along the way, just as long as the end result can be reduced to quads.

Again, check out the link above.

Well, tris in any case. I haven't come across a game engine that doesn't automatically triangulate all geometry on render anyway, so feel free to use tris all over the drat place.

Anyway, yes: the real answer to any question related to game modeling is " poopinmymouth.com "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Potential foot!

I'm making it sort of dog-legged at the ankle. I think that will help keep the legs under the upper body and main gun, but who knows. If there are any suggestions I'm all ears, I'm basically making this up as I go along.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It doesnt really match up to the rest of the leg, it looks way too dainty while the bulkiness of the completed leg suggests something way more massive.

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD
So, a long time ago, I decided I was going to learn 3dsMax. I've no idea why, it was on the software share at work, we have a floating license with way too many free and was diligently avoiding actual work.

Being a bit of a nerd, I went with a tutorial I found that was based around the Warhammer 40k Dreadnought. It's just some tubes and boxes, I said. It'll be easy, I said. Tutorials not that long, I said. Today, I found a couple of the outputs on an old home directory when decommissioning a fileserver.

This reminded me of when I did stuffs that were fun, weren't 12 hour work days and gave me glimmers of satisfaction after hours of frustration.

Now, I've just installed 3dsMax 2013, Maya 2013, the latest Blender, zBrush and Photoshop.

I've got all the tools, I'm saying. It'll be easy, I'm saying. Works of art like this thread will be created, I'm saying.

Then I opened 3dsMax and stared at it for a while. Made a box. Made a sphere. Made a teacup.

Teacup was awesome.

Made the teacup bigger.

Came back along to this thread and had a look through again. Some of you folk are wizards. Mortals should bow before you. But we all have to start somewhere and I've no misconceptions that I'll be transferring from IT Operations to the art department any time soon / ever / maybe visit if something breaks. I have, however, decided on a little project to work on. A MkIX Spitfire.

I'll be using 3dsMax, as Blender and Maya seem confusing. Hopefully it goes well and I'll pop some renders up here as I progress.

Please forgive in advance how terrible they will be compared to some of the actual art in this thread.

dotalchemy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 7, 2013

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

dotalchemy posted:

Please forgive in advance how terrible they will be compared to some of the actual art in this thread.

If there is one thing that can never be posted enough in this thread, it's works-in-progress and renders. I love seeing everyone's technique, from new to advanced modelers.

Since I don't want to sound hippocritical, here's a render for that TV I was working on a couple pages ago, now complete:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is there any way in maya to select a bunch of curves and automatically ease them in or out? I recall a button like that in Max but I can't find anything similar in maya. Maybe a plug-in.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Chernabog posted:

Is there any way in maya to select a bunch of curves and automatically ease them in or out? I recall a button like that in Max but I can't find anything similar in maya. Maybe a plug-in.

I believe you can select all of your keyframes in the graph editor and select "tangents -> flat."

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hey dudes, I've just recently started teaching myself how to 3D model at https://www.digitaltutors.com

This issue is with Cinema 4D. I have a decent enough grasp, and I've made a model for a 3D printer for my wife's ceramics projects. Well she's switching her thesis up and something I imagine is super simple I can't loving do. C4D won't apply my bump maps. I watched the tutorial where we put a thatch pattern on a cockpit seat that we modeled, and I've been doing everything the same way with the tutorial project, and this new project.

Is there something I'm missing?

That's just a simple cube converted to a polygon object, with a material applied with a bump map. I can't figure this out...

Also, can you take a bump-map image and essentially do the "Current State to Object" and get polygons out of my bump map? I have to get this printed so my wife can make a mold for thesis, but I can't loving figure it out.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I believe you can select all of your keyframes in the graph editor and select "tangents -> flat."

Yeah, you can do that, but that's not what I had in mind. More like it automatically makes one point from the side of a curve fast or slow. In Max it is called "set tangent to slow/fast"

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SynthOrange posted:

It doesnt really match up to the rest of the leg, it looks way too dainty while the bulkiness of the completed leg suggests something way more massive.

It does indeed, I really want the feet to be these big Megaman style things, but way more mechanical, not just a triangular boot. I should have mentioned this would just be the mechanical inner workings, and I'd layer a bunch of panels over everything to protect the bits and add mass. It is a bit tiny though...

RizieN posted:

Also, can you take a bump-map image and essentially do the "Current State to Object" and get polygons out of my bump map? I have to get this printed so my wife can make a mold for thesis, but I can't loving figure it out.

I can see there aren't any lights in your scene. c4d will create a light shooting out of the 'camera' lens when this happens and won't really make a bump map look like anything. Try adding your own light aiming top down, sort of in front of the box, see if that changes anything.
As for the 'Current State to Object' thing, if you were using Zbrush you'd just use a tiled alpha texture and all the detail would be on the geometry but it would be incredibly dense for fabric patterns. I have no idea how you'd do this in a standard modeller like 3ds max or Maya. It would most likely involve Displacement, not Bump Mapping, Displacement actually pushes out your form. Once you have your seat UV'd and your pattern being displaced I think you can just Current State to Object and you'll have a very detailed but poly-dense chair.

EDIT: I just remembered Cinema4D doesn't include the ability to use displacement in it's basic package. At least that's the way it was a few versions ago. What possessed them to do this I'll never understand. Hopefully you've got something better than the bare bones c4d install.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 8, 2013

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Chernabog posted:

Yeah, you can do that, but that's not what I had in mind. More like it automatically makes one point from the side of a curve fast or slow. In Max it is called "set tangent to slow/fast"

Maybe this will help? http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/c/easyeasyease--2

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks! That seems to be exactly what I was looking for. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Stappert
Mar 15, 2007

RizieN posted:

Also, can you take a bump-map image and essentially do the "Current State to Object" and get polygons out of my bump map?

Yes, sort of! It's a bit more complicated than that, but try this:

Make a cube, don't convert it to a polygon object just yet.

Create a Displacer deformer.

Nest the Displacer under your cube, and apply your bump material.

In the Displacer's Shading-tab, go to the Channel menu and select Bump (or whatever channel your pattern is in, I used color). Then drag and drop the material tag into the Texture Tag field.

Now, if you go back to your cube and crank up the number of segments, you should see the Displacer do its thing.

Play around with the Displacer's settings to get the results you want.

Using "Current State to Object" on your cube will now make a polygon object with your pattern on it.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
You are loving awesome! It works great. I just need to find a way to smooth the edges as I only need this pattern on the top of the cube (which will actually be more of a tile/plane/thin rectangle).

Thanks a lot man!

I'll report back after I get it all perfect and my wife prints it and casts it and all that jazz.

HolyJewsus
Jun 26, 2006
Disgruntled By Flashing and Blinking Lights.
Something I just did in rhino and am moving into zbrush to try out a workflow of detailing and maybe polypainting. This is my first gun model in forever, also yup, I know I'm missing the trigger.

figured I'd post an update,

HolyJewsus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 10, 2013

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Man the industry is getting worse and worse.

Rhythm and Hues is out of business tonight, that's 1400 vfx peeps out of work, and one of the big top VFX studios to bite it. DD is a shell of its former self and Dreamworks Animation is cutting 25-30% of staff.

Bad time to be looking for work... loving sucks.

Time to get into another field before I get too old :D

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Chapter 11 is not the death blow bankruptcy, it's the "let's get rid of our debts and find new funding" bankruptcy. It's definitely a bad sign, but they aren't locking the doors just yet.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Meanwhile, in arch viz, we cant find people who know how to do their jobs for love nor money and are desperate to hire even vaguely competent staff.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

mutata posted:

Chapter 11 is not the death blow bankruptcy, it's the "let's get rid of our debts and find new funding" bankruptcy. It's definitely a bad sign, but they aren't locking the doors just yet.

They are done. I worked there for 6 years and left a while ago and they were terminating people by phone last night who were there for 12-15 years. Two shows were pulled that killed them. They will have a skeleton crew to wind things down until its sold off piece meal...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Geared Hub posted:

Two shows were pulled that killed them.

Now that they're done can you give a hint about what the two projects were? Were they unannounced projects, or something we've already seen teaser trailers for? Just curious how far along a project can get before the rug is pulled out from a big company like R&H.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

Meanwhile, in arch viz, we cant find people who know how to do their jobs for love nor money and are desperate to hire even vaguely competent staff.

I'm in an opposite situation. Here in the Netherlands the entire arch biz is on it's rear end, and since the dawn of Lumion, no-one wants any high quality renders anymore. So, it's hard to keep one's motivation when you can't use the software package you're most proficient in.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ACanofPepsi posted:

Now that they're done can you give a hint about what the two projects were? Were they unannounced projects, or something we've already seen teaser trailers for? Just curious how far along a project can get before the rug is pulled out from a big company like R&H.

They were about 3-4 months from delivery. It's pretty ballsy but another major competitor picked up some of the work a while back as a backup plan apparently.

The movies I won't name unless it becomes public info in the media, but the trailers are out, they are summer films.

Another LA VFX studio is in trouble to farming out work for another big Tentpole summer movie when they shouldn't be, they may be having issues soon.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

International Log posted:

since the dawn of Lumion, no-one wants any high quality renders anymore.

I cant imagine something that produces poo poo like that to be in high demand... I never thought i'd hear it making a difference. Maybe worth changing the kind of clients you have?

Who does rem koolhaas use for visuals? I cant imagine they'd be happy with lumion quality poo poo. There must be some architects who want good work.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 11, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ACanofPepsi posted:

The show that caused the biggest problem was Snow white, as it apparently destroyed their cash flow. Why it got pulled, I don't know.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I never heard of the new Snow White (Not the Huntsman one, a totally separate Snow White movie), was this supposed to piggyback on the success of The Hobbit? (Studio Exec: 'People like midgets right??') I can't imagine who the target audience is for all these silly fantasy movies.

The only big tent poles I've seen trailers for are Man of Steel, After Earth and Oblivion, I'm not really excited for anything else, so I hope it wasn't one of these.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nah, there were two Snow White movies released at pretty much the same time. I dont think that helped either film really.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ACanofPepsi posted:

I never heard of the new Snow White (Not the Huntsman one, a totally separate Snow White movie), was this supposed to piggyback on the success of The Hobbit? (Studio Exec: 'People like midgets right??') I can't imagine who the target audience is for all these silly fantasy movies.

The only big tent poles I've seen trailers for are Man of Steel, After Earth and Oblivion, I'm not really excited for anything else, so I hope it wasn't one of these.

I'm working on AFter Earth at the moment

We're not the major vendor or anything but they would have told us if it was cancelled

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Geared Hub posted:

They are done. I worked there for 6 years and left a while ago and they were terminating people by phone last night who were there for 12-15 years. Two shows were pulled that killed them. They will have a skeleton crew to wind things down until its sold off piece meal...

Is the Vancouver R&H done as well?

Industry loving sucks. I am trying to find some gigs in something other than Games and Film but have no idea how or where to start looking.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I doubt that R&H is 'done'. Unlike DD, it sounds like R&H was reasonably healthy, but ran into a cash shortage that it could not cover when 2 shows got pulled.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
It seems like this has been happening to a lot of VFX houses. Is it different for games?

Also, arch viz and product development (toy companies, whatever else) is much more stable and with nicer conditions to boot, in my opinion.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SVU Fan posted:

It seems like this has been happening to a lot of VFX houses. Is it different for games?

Also, arch viz and product development (toy companies, whatever else) is much more stable and with nicer conditions to boot, in my opinion.

Well, it's not really comparable industries. The problem is that I can't really think of anything else I would *want* to do. Games, maybe.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The games industry is slightly different. We've been going through a sea change the past few years where so-called triple A projects have massive massive budgets (as in twice as much as feature film budgets), so those games have to sell millions of units to break even while at the same time cheap mobile and free-to-play titles made in 6 months can be marginally successful and turn big profits. Studios and publishers in both camps are doing extremely well or closing, so it's kind of a mess. The plus side is generally, game devs aren't for-hire like the vfx industry so there's less danger of having projects pulled out from under you and if there's trouble brewing and you are observant, you can see it coming.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, it's not really comparable industries.

I've just spent 5 months in a small team renting greenscreen studios, hiring models, renting a technocrane & the team to track it for us and going from rough tests to final renders. We've got realflow & phoenix fd shots and more tracked helicopter footage you can shake a stick at.
Arch viz isn't just houses, it's moving closer and closer to vfx. Except the teams are smaller and everyone gets to play art director.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

So is this a rant, or should I be sending in a portfolio, like, yesterday?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Arch viz is also fun as heck. My mate just got a job at Andrew Winch and properly loves it. I would like to spend a bit of time at candy and candy at some point but y'all don't do NURBS do you? 3DSM?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What kind of stuff are arch viz companies looking for in a portfolio?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When computer graphics are absolutely everywhere, and have forced out so much of traditional effects and animation how is it that so many of the vfx companies are going out of business?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Dick Trauma posted:

When computer graphics are absolutely everywhere, and have forced out so much of traditional effects and animation how is it that so many of the vfx companies are going out of business?

VFX companies operate on a shoe string budget and they literally depend on the next show they hope to get to keep their doors open. There is constant underbidding, crazy production schedules that are unrealistic but promised they can deliver on time just to get the job with "we will cross that bridge when we get to it" mentality. So when a show gets pulled/cancelled the vfx studio has no money to keep their doors open. It is a goddamn terrible industry.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

keyframe posted:

What kind of stuff are arch viz companies looking for in a portfolio?

An eye for details and the subtle touches that the layman wouldn't be able to spot, but who would be able to tell when they weren't there.
Good composition & handling of color are very important too.

Anyone can learn the technical side - it's stuff that proves you've got an eye for it that they're looking for.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

I would like to spend a bit of time at candy and candy at some point but y'all don't do NURBS do you? 3DSM?
I don't think candy & candy do 3d which isn't part of the design process... you'd have to get in as an interior designer, then the 3d would only be a tiny portion of what you were doing.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I doubt that R&H is 'done'. Unlike DD, it sounds like R&H was reasonably healthy, but ran into a cash shortage that it could not cover when 2 shows got pulled.

The new campus sunk them. They had free rent as long CSC leased the other building, but when CSC moved out, they had no one to pick up that lease and no banks willing to touch R+H with a 10 foot pole for a line of credit.

We'll see where it goes with Bankruptcy protection, theres still a few hundred left for now trying to finish the few projects still there.

Their best bet for survival is to get someone to buy them out while they still have key people in place otherwise whats the point in buying office space with workstations...