Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I can't believe someone has eaten Hardees every day for the last ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Like a quarter of the complaint is just the guy talking about what he likes to eat at Hardee's and how he likes it.

My advice is settle and settle quickly, you do not want this going to discovery, it could bring the entire Hardee's empire tumbling down.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

HiddenReplaced posted:

Friend of Dorothy is not a slur! It's more so the equivalent of us asking if someone has stairs in their house, except it's less gay.

Yeah, it's not a slur. And I think it's a cool term.

Anyway, Tenement, you have a niche! This can be a good thing in law. My dad's niche is ERISA and now your niche is "that gay stuff", congrats.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
I'm also the guy they refer all the Amendment 64 clients to. T. Emmett Funstre, PotTwink, ESQ.

edit: which pretty much involves me saying "nobody knows yet. call back in 10 months" or referring clients to local hydro shops.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 12, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HiddenReplaced posted:

Just got the most awesome complaint ever.

Demanding $3M because he was not hired for a minimum wage position. He projects that,over a period of 30 years, he likely would have become a VP within the company, and thus, only asking for 3M is quite reasonable.

Other humorous tidbits, he references an employee that allegedly flirted with him, but notes that he does not date black women because he is a god fearing man.

At one point he derails and just starts talking about the type of food he likes to order from the chain restaurant.

You guys better pay him.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I do know a few people from my class who have tried solo practice. Of the two I can think of off the top of my head, one also lives with his parents and the other one lives with his girlfriend, who I think is bringing in most of the income at present. That's not to say it's impossible, though.

I did it and I'm in super profitability land, 3 years in. BUT... I knew the business side, knew customer service, had contacts, had a mentor in the practice area... without any of which I would have failed. This guy would likely fail unless he went berserk studying the business model for a certain type of practice (divorce, real estate closings, etc). Which is basically saying he would definitely fail.

It's a minor point, but FYI for anyone: malpractice insurance for a fresh solo is cheap as all hell. The inevitable screw-ups take a year to pop anyway, so the premium is low and they take monthly payments. It's cheap to get started (like sub $100 per month)

But again, in the end I bet the failure rate is insane. I just know the successes so it's a self-selecting population.

As an aside, for anyone else in the front lines of consumer poo poo like Roger_Mudd... HOLY poo poo it's tax refund time... I'm going crazy

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 12, 2013

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
O hi I'm one of the people who occasionally used to post in this thread about going to a T10 law school. Even though I don't have loans to repay, I don't think I'll ever be able to pay down the regrets. Fuckin' law school. Don't do it if you're already good at something else or have some sort of career or you enjoy not hating yourself.

btw class of 2011, paid for it myself because i was becoming wealthy but basically ruined any chance of becoming something more than a potential-pauper's-grave-occupant by not dropping out of law school and i am consumed by intense regret over it every day.

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 12, 2013

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I'm a 2012 grad. I got really lucky and got a job working for my state government trying to prevent certain regulated companies from earning $30M/year that they don't really need and that will ultimately go toward paying country club dues for executives.

At first I was really excited because I could do my 120 months for loan forgiveness and then evaluate my exit options, namely going to work to help regulated companies earn an extra $30M/year in exchange for them paying my country club dues. However, it turns out I hate everyone who doesn't work for my agency and could never respect myself if I went private on my field. Luckily I love my agency, so hopefully my future ends up in one of three ways

1. Lifer at my agency until I get my awesome state retirement pension. I can retire as early as 2040.

2. Do this for 8 or 9 years and then try to become an administrative judge in my field.

3. Inherit some millions.

wacko_-
Mar 29, 2004

builds character posted:

3. Just wondering what happened to everyone who posted in this thread two/three years ago.

I work too much now. Class of 2009 4 lyfe.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

HolySwissCheese posted:

3. Inherit some millions.

How does one get started in this field?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
2007 grad, working for the government as a GS-13, made $130k last year, no student loans thanks to moneybags family. Glad I went to law school I guess because I made some good friends there whose friendship I value and I wouldn't be where I am today had I not went.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hey does anyone know how much Baruch Obamawitz makes? I thought I saw it somewhere in this thread but I might be mistaken.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Baruch Obamawitz give me your money so I can afford my apartment in Alexandria, tia.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

AgentSythe posted:

Baruch Obamawitz give me your money so I can afford my apartment in Alexandria, tia.

Sythe noooo not alexandria!

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

It was close by and cheaper than anything in the district v0v

It's pretty terrible, though. Thank god I have friends up there so I can get hammered and crash somewhere.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I thought Alexandria was fine as long as you live really close to a metro station!

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Oh I forgot to mention that even though I'm a happily employed graduate of whateverthefuck year I graduated, I'm also supporting my brother, my sister-in-law, and my nephew while my brother (who graduated from a way better law school than I with way better grades) looks for a job. So yeah don't count my vote as a vote for going. No jobs, and even if you do get a job you'll die penniless and alone.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Mons Hubris posted:

I thought Alexandria was fine as long as you live really close to a metro station!

Not when you have to leave someone's house early in DC because you need to get the last train home! And also not when your neighborhood is sterile and full of jerks. You will learn to hate that last train and the timing required to catch it. If you miss the last train, but you live in DC, you can either walk home (which is a more feasible option than outsiders might think), or you can get a pretty affordable cab home.

To be clear, these criticisms of living in the DC suburbs vs. living in DC itself don't apply to people with children. Though I would still rather live in DC even if I had children, but I recognize that school systems are an important factor (though not every school in the suburbs is good). Also I don't really believe you about it being cheaper than anywhere in DC. DC is full of surprisingly cheap places that are close to metro stations and walkable from Dupont, U St., and the Mall.

If the DC suburbs were actually significantly cheaper than DC proper, then I wouldn't hate on them so much. I can always understand why somebody would rather live in Queens or New Jersey rather than Manhattan or western Brooklyn. But also in their case, even aside from the money factor, the trains run all night, and NYC doesn't have this amazing walkable parallelogram that the city of DC has.

Edit: If you have a bunch of friends in Alexandria, then that does makes the choice better. I'm sure you'll still have a lot of fun. The DC area is cool.

MoFauxHawk fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 12, 2013

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

When I lived in DC I always hated the zone cab system which was basically "charge me as much money as you think is in my wallet". I hear they've gotten rid of that now though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I started a divorce and personal injury firm. Without supportive parents, I never would have made it the first year. This year will be BATSHIT though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
A guy that's in Barbri with me today tried to convince me that he and some other dudes have somehow deduced some secret pattern in the California Bar Exam which let him know exactly which subjects were probably going to come up and that he was going to focus his studies on those subjects because he was so sure that those subjects would come up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, with a ~50% pass rate we do need some failures. I can't remember the subject, but my bar had a subject that even barbri said wouldn't be on the exams. Thankfully, I'm good at bullshit and the multiple choice section.

BigHead posted:

my brother (who graduated from a way better law school than I with way better grades) looks for a job.

UMN is the best law school :colbert:
(Except for career services)

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, with a ~50% pass rate we do need some failures. I can't remember the subject, but my bar had a subject that even barbri said wouldn't be on the exams. Thankfully, I'm good at bullshit and the multiple choice section.

UMN is the best law school :colbert:
(Except for career services)

The Barbri book even has a chart of all the subjects that they've tested since 2001 and it looks to be completely random. My assumption is that the Bar Examiners just sit in a room with a bunch of fact patterns and determine which ones look like they'll gently caress over the most people as opposed to having some kind of special pattern where they absolutely must test Subject X on Year Y.

It's final crunch time, which kind of sucks, but at the same time I feel like my practice essays are hitting just enough of the issues to be passing. I haven't even looked at a performance test yet, though and there's 2 weeks to go until the exam. I'm not really sure how to go about "studying" for one. I went to the Barbri live lectures and they said almost nothing non-obvious beyond "make this grid of facts and cases."

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

woozle wuzzle posted:

I did it and I'm in super profitability land, 3 years in. BUT... I knew the business side, knew customer service, had contacts, had a mentor in the practice area... without any of which I would have failed. This guy would likely fail unless he went berserk studying the business model for a certain type of practice (divorce, real estate closings, etc). Which is basically saying he would definitely fail.

It's a minor point, but FYI for anyone: malpractice insurance for a fresh solo is cheap as all hell. The inevitable screw-ups take a year to pop anyway, so the premium is low and they take monthly payments. It's cheap to get started (like sub $100 per month)

But again, in the end I bet the failure rate is insane. I just know the successes so it's a self-selecting population.

I think part of his worry about "malpractice" was simply not wanting to screw up someone's case, not necessarily getting in trouble for it, although I'm sure that was a concern too.

I think "I just know the successes so it's a self-selecting population" is pretty true of most law communities, online or not. People are far more likely to talk about their success than their failure.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Eventually through repeated harassment of the hiring person I was able to get a job in the research division of my state's Court of Appeals. That job was OK but the money was crap. But then I was able to interview for a clerk job and get it with a COA judge, so now my job owns and the money is not too bad with IBR and cost of living being not that high. Still I wouldn't recommend going to law school, at least not a TTT. Even if it turns out you're right and you ARE a special snowflake it was still a long haul to a somewhat-OK salary with a massive millstone of debt around my neck.

Here's my post from when I graduated with no job about the poo poo I did in law school, I did end up ranked third in the class though with a 3.96 GPA

J Miracle posted:

Welp I'm graduating tomorrow from a TTT. No job. Here's some of the things I did in case anybody was thinking "well if I go to a TTT I can just do REALLY well and still get a job."

--summa cum laude
--Class Rank 1 for all semesters except 1 (got ranked 2 for one of those, I think final rank will still be one);
--received multiple book awards;
--Won a national writing contest and had an article published in a national journal, past winners were usually from HLS;
--Law Review;
--"King Scholar"--like Order of the Coif and stuff like that, my schools version of an elite scholarship;
--worked a paid job for 2L summer and through all of 3L year;
--externed for Court of Appeals my first summer;
--TA'd for 3 different professors;
--Did an appellate clinic, received an A and was invited to TA it the following semester;
--Did a Moot Court Comp at Harvard;
--Had an SBA position.

Seriously don't go to law school and if you do go to a TTT and you have the opportunity to transfer, don't get scared off by the massively increased debt and your cushy class rank and LR position at your existing school.

J Miracle fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 12, 2013

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I graduated in 2011, articled with a sole practitioner in criminal defence for a year, then got hired back as his associate. I don't earn a great salary but do get a 50% cut of any work I bring in, plus have essentially the same responsibilities as a sole prac but with a built-in client base. He prefers the low-level poo poo which means I'm running a massive wiretap gang case and likely a multiple attempt murder, among others.

Pretty big student debt plus a car payment (and $120/week in gas) means I'm living with my parents though.

This is in Ontario, Canada.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I think part of his worry about "malpractice" was simply not wanting to screw up someone's case, not necessarily getting in trouble for it, although I'm sure that was a concern too.
Oh, heh... Then yeah he's definitely not cut out for solo practice, or most any type of practice without a huge safety net. You gotta be able to get up the morning after losing some one's kids/house/freedom and get right back to it. It's like being a quarterback except without any of the good parts: gotta have a short memory.

I'm friends with a clerk to a federal judge, and this clerk has had a key hand in some landmark circuit decisions. They're totally at ease with giving/denying a quarter of the population healthcare. But no joke: they'd have a nervous breakdown if they had one client with a child custody hearing or criminal arraignment.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

HolySwissCheese posted:

2. Do this for 8 or 9 years and then try to become an administrative judge in my field.

Enjoy applying to be an ALJ then being gobbled up by the SSA, which uses something like an order of magnitude more ALJs than any other agency.

Or did you mean some state ALJ?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
State ALJ for sure. In my state you get assigned a subject matter and only have to do that. I wouldn't move unless I knew ahead of time what division I'd be in.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

MoFauxHawk posted:

Not when you have to leave someone's house early in DC because you need to get the last train home! And also not when your neighborhood is sterile and full of jerks. You will learn to hate that last train and the timing required to catch it. If you miss the last train, but you live in DC, you can either walk home (which is a more feasible option than outsiders might think), or you can get a pretty affordable cab home.

To be clear, these criticisms of living in the DC suburbs vs. living in DC itself don't apply to people with children. Though I would still rather live in DC even if I had children, but I recognize that school systems are an important factor (though not every school in the suburbs is good). Also I don't really believe you about it being cheaper than anywhere in DC. DC is full of surprisingly cheap places that are close to metro stations and walkable from Dupont, U St., and the Mall.

If the DC suburbs were actually significantly cheaper than DC proper, then I wouldn't hate on them so much. I can always understand why somebody would rather live in Queens or New Jersey rather than Manhattan or western Brooklyn. But also in their case, even aside from the money factor, the trains run all night, and NYC doesn't have this amazing walkable parallelogram that the city of DC has.

Edit: If you have a bunch of friends in Alexandria, then that does makes the choice better. I'm sure you'll still have a lot of fun. The DC area is cool.

I moved here because I live across the street from work (or at least I did before I started working from home). That said, we'd consider DC, except the schools really are just terrible.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I moved here because I live across the street from work (or at least I did before I started working from home). That said, we'd consider DC, except the schools really are just terrible.

Without knowing how much you make each year, I can't really judge your housing situation anyway.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I make all the money.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone who can get my grandfather to pay for it should go to law school because it worked out okay for me

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007
2012 Canadian grad. Lucked out with a 2L summer at a criminal defence firm that led to an articling position. I've been told I'll be staying on. :3:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
2012 grad from a T14, Biglaw in secondary market, I wear jeans on Friday and work about 50 hours a week while making NY market. Also live three blocks from the beach. Most of my time goes to antitrust and will probably give the clerkship wheel another spin in the next year.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005
Asked to provide an Advice for a landlord: "can we put a clause in our tenancy agreements disallowing dogs so that we can stop blind people living there?". Followed by a telephone call where they sound unbelievably smug about their own apparent brilliance: "ah but the thing is that we don't SAY we don't allow blind people, we say we don't allow dogs!" and then refuse to accept that the clause might not be enforceable. Still have no idea why they even had such a grudge against blind people.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

dos4gw posted:

Asked to provide an Advice for a landlord: "can we put a clause in our tenancy agreements disallowing dogs so that we can stop blind people living there?". Followed by a telephone call where they sound unbelievably smug about their own apparent brilliance: "ah but the thing is that we don't SAY we don't allow blind people, we say we don't allow dogs!" and then refuse to accept that the clause might not be enforceable. Still have no idea why they even had such a grudge against blind people.

I would think having a blind tenant would mean having to be more on top of keeping the building in "habitable" condition and getting rid of hazards that might get glossed over or just complained about (as opposed to causing an actual injury).

And they could also just be dicks.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

dos4gw posted:

See? These are the kind of assholes I have to deal with for my ADA clients. Anyway, your client is a piece of poo poo.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm a 2012 grad. Started at a TTT which was a huge mistake at the time, but I got very lucky and did well my first year and transferred to a T14. I'm in biglaw in NYC, I can wear jeans on Friday too, and I work a poo poo ton of hours. I mostly do securities litigation right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

dos4gw posted:

This is just--well I don't know what this is. But I basically picture your clients as Snidely Whiplash.