Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

A night watchman at a college discovers a sub-basement with old long abandoned classrooms filled with old desks. As he explores he gradually finds more and more levels until he walks down an enormous utility stairwell leading deep underground where he finally comes to an extremely large dark room, where he finds some demonic doors and fights a were-tiger of some sort.

That sounds like unxmaal's "The Stairs and the Doorway", from the Spring/Summer 2011 Ghost Story thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm not sure if this was in a horror anthology or if I read it online.

A night watchman at a college discovers a sub-basement with old long abandoned classrooms filled with old desks. As he explores he gradually finds more and more levels until he walks down an enormous utility stairwell leading deep underground where he finally comes to an extremely large dark room, where he finds some demonic doors and fights a were-tiger of some sort. I stayed up all night thinking about this story and would appreciate any help finding it again.

I really feel like this was a story posted in one of the semiannual ghost story threads, but I could be wrong.

And beaten. I should really check for new pages...

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Nice! Thanks buddies! What a cool story.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
A story about a man descending what appears to be an infinite escalator in what I think is a department store. There's no way of getting back up. I think I read it on here a few years ago, but couldn't say for certain. It was definitely online though, not in a "proper book".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gambrinus posted:

A story about a man descending what appears to be an infinite escalator in what I think is a department store. There's no way of getting back up. I think I read it on here a few years ago, but couldn't say for certain. It was definitely online though, not in a "proper book".
Thomas Disch, Descending.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Fully illustrated, but not a comic book. Realistic art style. A child makes a snowman. Later they look out of the window and the snowman is pointing at them. Ended up that there was a fire or some other reason for the child and their family to get out of the house straight away, that the snowman was trying to warn them about. I think it was a scary ghosty kind of thing because it utterly terrified little me. I still have a thing about people/things pointing at me unexpectedly :smith:

I used to read a lot of Usbourne mystery/puzzle books in the 90s, and that's the only place I can think of that this might have been from, but the art style is wrong and I just don't know. It might have been in the ancient girls' magazine annuals like Bunty or Judy that I borrowed from my mum's collection, but it seems too dark for that. Although... now I'm remembering a story about gnomes that came to life and murdered the family who bought the house they lived in, so I guess anything went back then.

Also, this one I posted last year:

eating only apples posted:

One time I read a short story that was really like Stephen King's Misery. It's only now I'm actually reading Misery that I remember it.

A man is in a car crash and wakes up horribly injured with mangled legs being kept prisoner by a woman. I think the woman wants him to marry her daughter, who's possibly a bit slow? In the end he takes off the bandages and it turns out that his legs weren't actually mangled at all, he was fine, he just thought he couldn't walk.

It was in a collection of short horror stories, probably teen-oriented. Really want to know what it was!

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 9, 2013

JingleCreb
May 3, 2007

print('B', end = "")
while True: print('a', end = "")
I've got a very hazy recollection of a concept from a book I guess I must have read 15-20 years ago in my early teens. There's a group of people and they all have to get in a circle. Then some kind of force called "The Fury" comes along and goes round and round the circle, possessing them one by one. They each go crazy with rage while it has hold of them. Eventually it settles on one of them and that is bad for that person in some way.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Speaking of Stephen King, when I was in grade school I remember opening one of my mom's Stephen King books to a random page. It was a story about a guy who has to kill a puppy. He's reluctant but someone tells him he has to, so he either strangles or smothers the puppy and talks about the light going out of its eyes. I think it was in a book of short stories. I kind of hope it was actually some kind of weird dream :gonk:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Speaking of Stephen King, when I was in grade school I remember opening one of my mom's Stephen King books to a random page. It was a story about a guy who has to kill a puppy. He's reluctant but someone tells him he has to, so he either strangles or smothers the puppy and talks about the light going out of its eyes. I think it was in a book of short stories. I kind of hope it was actually some kind of weird dream :gonk:

I've read all of King's short story collections multiple times and I don't remember a story like this, though it's possible I've just blocked it out.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Here is a stumper.

When I was a kid (circa the early 90s) I stumbled across a series of books for kids. From what I remember these books weren't "Current" to the 90s. Most likely they were published in the 80s, perhaps even earlier.

They were science fiction stories taking place far in the future. The main character was a kid. His parents are rich I think, and the kid is an only child and pretty much has no friends. (I don't remember why). At one point the parents buy the kid a robot. The robot and this kid look completely identical, and then they'd get into adventures and things. One detail I remember is that the way to tell the two apart was that the robot walked with this "stiffed knee" walk. Of course the real kid taught himself how to copy it and so in their adventures they'd pretend to be one another and stuff.

I stumbled across this guy a couple years ago. I was doing a freelance writing job for an encyclopedia of writers. I actually ended up writing a biography on the guy for this encyclopedia but then I totally forgot the dudes name. Anybody remember these?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alfred Slote's My Robot Buddy. I think he did a couple sequels to it too.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

Thomas Disch, Descending.

Thanks!

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

I've read all of King's short story collections multiple times and I don't remember a story like this, though it's possible I've just blocked it out.

Same. Not ringing a bell for me either.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
This one's probably a long shot. I read a teaser excerpt (probably the first few chapters) online around 2000. I think it had a real publisher, not self-published, but it may have been a small-press SF house.

A present-day historian (I think specifically a science historian) ends up unexpectedly, by unknown means, in just-pre-WWII London. He's able to contact an important scientist working on weapons for the government and convince him of his future knowledge (I recall one of the things that stops him being dismissed as a madman is mentioning "Tube Alloys", the code name of the British nuclear weapons research effort).

Anyway, he's able to influence things like research into radar and successful aircraft designs, and accelerates the readiness of the British at the beginning of the war. The end of the excerpt has him looking at a photo from an intelligence report and recognizing a type of German E-boat that shouldn't exist yet. He comes to the realization that the Germans have someone like him on their side.

Anyway, I never read anything more than the teaser and I was reminded of it because I'm currently reading R.V. Jones' Most Secret War. I know it's nothing to do with John Birmingham's Weapons of Choice etc., despite some similarities.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

JingleCreb posted:

I've got a very hazy recollection of a concept from a book I guess I must have read 15-20 years ago in my early teens. There's a group of people and they all have to get in a circle. Then some kind of force called "The Fury" comes along and goes round and round the circle, possessing them one by one. They each go crazy with rage while it has hold of them. Eventually it settles on one of them and that is bad for that person in some way.

The Last Human by Doug Naylor. The 3rd(?) Red Dwarf book, and the first written solo rather than as one half of Grant Naylor, with Rob Grant.

JingleCreb
May 3, 2007

print('B', end = "")
while True: print('a', end = "")

Sanford posted:

The Last Human by Doug Naylor. The 3rd(?) Red Dwarf book, and the first written solo rather than as one half of Grant Naylor, with Rob Grant.

Ahhhhhhhyes. Thanks!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Closest thing I can think of is the cocker spaniel who gets shut into a fridge at the dump in "It."

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Hobnob posted:

This one's probably a long shot. I read a teaser excerpt (probably the first few chapters) online around 2000. I think it had a real publisher, not self-published, but it may have been a small-press SF house.

A present-day historian (I think specifically a science historian) ends up unexpectedly, by unknown means, in just-pre-WWII London. He's able to contact an important scientist working on weapons for the government and convince him of his future knowledge (I recall one of the things that stops him being dismissed as a madman is mentioning "Tube Alloys", the code name of the British nuclear weapons research effort).

The Foresight War, Anthony G Williams. This is probably what you read:

http://www.authorsonline.co.uk/viewbook.php?show=sample&eBookID=385

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Unkempt posted:

The Foresight War, Anthony G Williams. This is probably what you read:

http://www.authorsonline.co.uk/viewbook.php?show=sample&eBookID=385

Fantastic! I'm amazed anyone knew that one, especially as it does look like it was self-published. Thank you!

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Clipperton posted:

I read this horror anthology when I was a kid and if someone could tell me the title it would be completely awesome. (There's an outside chance I might be remembering stories from two different anthologies.)

It was almost certainly English, and almost certainly aimed at kids (the protagonists of all the stories were kids). Plots of some of the stories:
    A kid in WWII London has a mysterious lodger who grows mushrooms;
    Kite-fighters in Indonesia(?) encounter a black kite that wins every battle;
    A kid gets a wish for 'one good day' that looks like a marble (the wish does), and you eat it;
    A dollmaker cannibalises local kids' dolls to make a daughter for himself;
    A smartarse kid goes looking for a portal to another dimension and ends up sending his friend there instead.

One thing I do remember is that the illustrations were very Gerald Scarfe or Ronald Searleish. Any ideas? Thanks!

This one was posted over a year ago, but I remembered this same book when I first saw this post and just managed to find it when I was searching through all my childhood junk I've had in storage for years. It contains at the very minimum the doll story and the one about the mushroom growing lodger, I haven't read through them all to see if the others are there. The book is The Magnet Book of Sinister Stories.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
We read a book a long time ago in class in middle school and i cannot find it or figure out which one it is.

I have vague memories.

Its a post apocalyptic novel with a self sustained town in a mountainous area that guards the roads in. For some reason some military types show up to confront the townspeople. I remember tanks coming up the road and the decision whether or not to fight them.

Anyway we read it in the 80s. I woudl love to find it again and find out what the hel I read.

If anyone has any list of possibilities I will sort through them to find it.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Its a post apocalyptic novel with a self sustained town in a mountainous area that guards the roads in. For some reason some military types show up to confront the townspeople. I remember tanks coming up the road and the decision whether or not to fight them.

Robert McCammon's Swan Song has a scene very much like that, it was published in 1987.

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003
I book I read probably twenty years ago had a plot where the central character runs away from home and stows away on a big hovercraft, which subsequently sinks. He's adrift in the pacific for a time, and then gets guided to an island near Australia by dolphins, where he then starts a new life as a dolphin trainer and learns to talk to them with some kind of translator gadget.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Belgarath posted:

I book I read probably twenty years ago had a plot where the central character runs away from home and stows away on a big hovercraft, which subsequently sinks. He's adrift in the pacific for a time, and then gets guided to an island near Australia by dolphins, where he then starts a new life as a dolphin trainer and learns to talk to them with some kind of translator gadget.
Dolphin Island by Arthur C Clarke.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been spending several weeks dredging this out of my memory, and here's what I have:

-Children's/young adult book
-Written in 60's or 70's (I think)
-Possibly from Sweden/Norway? The setting is in one of those Nordic countries.

The plot is basically: a boy and a girl, of pre-teen age, become friends and hang out and all that. At some point, the boy teaches the girl the rhythm of an old song. Over the course of the book, they become suspicious of a man (maybe a new teacher at the school?), who they later find out is a spy, and is working out of the school late at night doing spy stuff. After discovering this (alone), the boy is captured by the spy and tied up in the old bomb shelter under the school. Nobody can figure out the whereabouts of the spy until the girl happens to hear a tapping sound that matches the rhythm the boy taught her earlier, and realizes he's somewhere near a steam pipe in the school, tapping on it with his knife. The school staff figures it out and gets the boy out of the bomb shelter. He then can reveal the spy's nefarious plans to attack a Fort or something, and stop him just in time.

I've pieced all that together with reasonable certainty, but I cannot remember the names of any of the characters, except for a Police Inspector named Olmstedt, which hasn't proven useful. Help me sleep better at night instead of trying to remember poo poo like this!

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
Okay I'm trying to find a book described to me by a friend. I've scoured my library but I can't find anything that fits.

It's pretty much a post apocalyptic scenerio where all of the animals on earth go batshit insane and start hunting humans for sport, all of them. So there's very few people left and the story centres around a group of scientists that barricade themselves in Vancouver's University of British Columbia in order to find the cure or reason or whatever.

Everything else I have going for me is that it's a fairly thick book that's possibly burgundy?? Her description wasn't very good. It's also definitely not Zoo by James Patterson.

The Candyman
Aug 19, 2010

by T. Finninho
I'm looking for a short story I read ages ago (really original opening line there). Basically, a small town journalist is looking for a story, and finds out about a cat skeleton that was being recovered from a pond and given a proper burial. It turns out that a pregnant woman killed a cat and the cat turned the unborn baby into a kitten or something?

I remember it being pretty good, and I'd love to read it again

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

A Pinball Wizard posted:

This has been bothering me as a King fan. I read a ton of the short story collections way too quickly so they're all a blur now. But I wonder if maybe it was in either Needful Things (novel) or maybe one of the two main characters did something like it in "Apt Pupil", which was in the collection Different Seasons (with the story that would later be made into Stand By Me)?

I don't have hardly any of my book collection after moving, or I would have checked instead of offering guesses, sorry.

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012
I'm trying to find a book that someone on this forum recommended, and that I thought sounded interesting. I think it was called some variation on "Sorcerers" or "Wizards", and I remember it was described as similar to Harry Potter (wizards at wizard school and all that) but aimed at an older audience.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
Lev Grossman's The Magicians, perhaps?

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012

Hobnob posted:

Lev Grossman's The Magicians, perhaps?

I think that's the one, thanks.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Great Gray Shrike posted:

This sounds to me like Bloodsport by William R Burkett Jr. I honestly remembered this more from the picture.

Thats it! I really appreciate the help :) Its been driving me crazy for last few weeks trying to remember more about it.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
I was looking for a thread like this... awesome.

There was a book I read when I was 10-12 or so (it had to have been the late 90s) and it was a run of the mill story about a teenager and his family but out of nowhere the family's baby ate a tub of butter and ended up dying from it. It gave me a huge WTF moment as a kid. Does anyone have any idea what this was or was it just a delusion?

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

This sounds SO familiar. I want to say that the kid was made to raise the puppy and was forced to kill it as part of some military training. (Kids were being raised as emotionless super soldiers or something like that?)

The game Bioshock has something similar and it made me think of this story when I played it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I Love My Axe posted:

This sounds SO familiar. I want to say that the kid was made to raise the puppy and was forced to kill it as part of some military training. (Kids were being raised as emotionless super soldiers or something like that?)

The game Bioshock has something similar and it made me think of this story when I played it.

There's a eunuch mercenary order in Song of Ice and Fire that do this, but that doesn't sound like what's being asked for.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
It might not be Stephen King, I just remember that my mom read a lot of his books at the time. It was someone in that genre, though. Also, I think the dog was a poodle, if that makes a difference? Although I had a pet cocka-poo at that age, so I might be projecting...

edit: VVVV I was thinking Dean Koontz, because that was the other author she was really into, but I don't know much about him and I didn't want to sound dumb :v:

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 20, 2013

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
The other King-like authors my mum read back then, and that I ended up reading (too young) as well, were John Saul and Dean Koontz and I'm certain a good amount of lights went out of puppy eyes in their pre-2000 careers.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't think there's ever been any puppy-killing in a Dean Koontz book. That's kind of the exact opposite of how every dog he has ever written about ends up.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't think there's ever been any puppy-killing in a Dean Koontz book. That's kind of the exact opposite of how every dog he has ever written about ends up.

I was pretty sure of that after the Moonlight Bay books and such around the time he went off the deep end and dogs were Definitely Characters, but I thought '80s Koontz was more standard thriller material. My mistake. Maybe the light went out of a kitten's eyes. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This isn't much, I know. But I read a passage in a book, and this is literally everything I remember: Someone wants someone else to eat rice, but the person doesn't want any. So the rice-giver offers him pickled plums or cucumbers or something, which "makes the Japanese palette cry out for rice".