Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
Not to mention finding a doctor who will actually do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

I know, which is why I was waiting until I had insurance since I'm pretty sure I'll have to "doctor shop" (as much as I hate the term). But I don't know, we have some pretty open-minded doctors around here, so it doesn't seem out of the question.

I'm just getting tired of worrying about it, especially since to my knowledge my state only has one abortion clinic that's like 2-3 hours away from me. And even with the Paragard, it still freaks me out to think that really the only thing standing between me and a pregnancy I don't want to go through (and probably can't get rid of) is this thing moving out of place - which it could do at any time without me necessarily knowing. Or living like a nun until menopause I guess.

Maybe it's some kind of family thing or something, because I talked to my mom about it today and apparently my brother is really on the fence about kids too (leaning towards none).

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
Hey guys. I have a few questions. My gf has been on BC for 10 days now as she started on Jan 31st. We've been using the pull-out method mostly. I don't have pre cum (at least I don't think I do as I never see it during masturbation) and I pull-out, pee and wash myself during sessions.

We don't use condoms and she takes the BC at the same time every day. Also, when I first started to have sex with my gf, she was quite loose. Now she's tight. What's up with that?

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Geolicious posted:

Planned Parenthood cites a ligation can cost between 1500 and 6000 dollars. I'm sure it all comes down to insurance, the doctor, potential surgical complications, etc.

Is that strictly the procedure or does it include costs for before/after care (like hospital stay)?

GiveUpNed posted:

Also, when I first started to have sex with my gf, she was quite loose. Now she's tight. What's up with that?

Muscles bro, how do they work?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

fork bomb posted:

Is that strictly the procedure or does it include costs for before/after care (like hospital stay)?

Yeah I was wondering that, too. PP didn't say. If that's procedural cost only, then it could be way, way more, giving what American hospitals charge for shiz.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

GiveUpNed posted:

Hey guys. I have a few questions. My gf has been on BC for 10 days now as she started on Jan 31st. We've been using the pull-out method mostly. I don't have pre cum (at least I don't think I do as I never see it during masturbation) and I pull-out, pee and wash myself during sessions.

We don't use condoms and she takes the BC at the same time every day. Also, when I first started to have sex with my gf, she was quite loose. Now she's tight. What's up with that?

So is it your hobby to wander into female-centric threads to discuss your sex life including strangely intimate details about your girlfriend? What's up with that?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

Yeah I was wondering that, too. PP didn't say. If that's procedural cost only, then it could be way, way more, giving what American hospitals charge for shiz.

From my research so far, if it's done in a minimally invasive way (like laparoscopically) most women go home the same day as long as there aren't complications or anything. But I'm still not sure if that includes the cost of everything, which is kind of why I was asking.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

GiveUpNed posted:

So you only have one question and it's "why has my girlfriend's vagina gotten tighter over time?"

There could be thousands of answers but the one I'm going to go with is "the guy she was loving before you had a monster cock and you don't."

Done with my first month of Implanon. Still feeling hormonal but much less likely to choke up at the radio now.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

Robo Kitty posted:

So is it your hobby to wander into female-centric threads to discuss your sex life including strangely intimate details about your girlfriend? What's up with that?

... That's the point of these threads. I'm sorry your life is miserable and you feel the need to take it out on an internet stranger looking for answers.

InEscape posted:

So you only have one question and it's "why has my girlfriend's vagina gotten tighter over time?"

Oops, forgot the question part. The question was supposed to be: Are we doing it right?

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

GiveUpNed posted:

... That's the point of these threads. I'm sorry your life is miserable and you feel the need to take it out on an internet stranger looking for answers.

Oops, forgot the question part. The question was supposed to be: Are we doing it right?

Maybe next you can mosey on over to the feminism thread and ask how women work. All that crying and poo poo, amirite?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

NaturalLow posted:

From my research so far, if it's done in a minimally invasive way (like laparoscopically) most women go home the same day as long as there aren't complications or anything. But I'm still not sure if that includes the cost of everything, which is kind of why I was asking.

I don't know anyone who's had it done recently. I, too, thought it was a same day sort of thing these days.

As much as I'd like to have it done, I'm thinking just keeping a Mirena in there is just as well.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GiveUpNed posted:

What do you mean by "doing it right?" Your girlfriend taking her pill everyday on schedule is the only thing that you really have to get right. As long as it's being taken a directed and nothing's affecting it (like antibiotics, vomiting, etc.) it doesn't really matter much what you do during sex since she won't be ovulating at all.

Geolicious posted:

I don't know anyone who's had it done recently. I, too, thought it was a same day sort of thing these days.

As much as I'd like to have it done, I'm thinking just keeping a Mirena in there is just as well.

My mom did it 27 years ago and talked about it like it wasn't really a big deal. But then I'm pretty sure she had it done during her C-section with me so it wouldn't exactly be the same experience as I would have. I'm still just kind of researching and thinking it over. The only reason I got the Paragard was because it was the only super-reliable non-hormonal option I could afford with no insurance. Then this job opportunity with better pay and benefits came up, so now I'm just considering what I really wanted to do in the first place.

Also it was on my mind because yesterday was like the perfect storm at my job: one of my coworkers just announced she's pregnant, another one's sister had a baby so that's all she ever talks about, and then one of my managers had her two screaming toddlers with her for her lunch break. Not to mention our customers brought in lots of very small children that I had absolutely no idea how to interact with. I know it probably sounds weird and :goonsay: as hell, but they make me so uncomfortable just being around them.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NaturalLow posted:

I know it probably sounds weird and :goonsay: as hell, but they make me so uncomfortable just being around them.

I just removed 3 people (soon to be 4) from my fb feed because I am sick of seeing their babies. I don't like babies, I don't want them, I don't care about them.

I get it. :) :respek: :)

My plan in to ask for the ligation after this Mirena expires (I'll be nearly 35) and if it's still a no-go I'll get another Mirena.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

I just removed 3 people (soon to be 4) from my fb feed because I am sick of seeing their babies. I don't like babies, I don't want them, I don't care about them.

I get it. :) :respek: :)

My plan in to ask for the ligation after this Mirena expires (I'll be nearly 35) and if it's still a no-go I'll get another Mirena.

Thanks. :) I hate that I'm probably going to get lumped in with the child-free people out there who seem to insist on calling kids "alien parasites" and generally being huge assholes about a very personal decision. I don't hate kids, I just don't really feel anything at all about them and never have.

I've also been reading the pregnancy thread out of curiosity since my coworker's announcement and oh my god. :stare:

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Geolicious posted:

I have a goon friend who got her tubes tied several months ago, I'll poke her and see if she'll come tell the thread about it :)

As far as what I quoted- I'd love to get mine tied, but right now I'm reveling in the fact that my periods are almost nonexistent with my Mirena (been on it these past few days, actually, and there's hardly anything on my panty liners!). I'll most likely get another once my 5 years are up, because no periods and even if a pregnancy starts up it'll be a fallopian pregnancy anyways which is non-viable and needs to be taken out anyway. I'm also a wuss though and I'd rather my husband get a vasectomy than get mine tied (not to mention it's hilariously easy for a guy to get it done compared to us, with way less complications possible).

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I've been after my guy to get snipped. He's 46 and we both don't want kids and we've been together over 8 years. He's just being a stupid macho-head about it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Yes that would be easier. But the guy I'm with right now has been pretty insistent about "nothing's getting snipped." Not out of a desire for kids I think, just a mix of macho "might affect sexual performance" crap/surgery on my nuts! :ohdear: He's always had funny ideas about birth control, which is why I try to cover my own rear end there.

And yes BlueOccamy, I'd really be interested in hearing from your friend if she feels comfortable sharing. I'm not in any huge hurry though, it's all hypothetical research right now and thanks to the IUD I have 12 years to think it over. :v:

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

NaturalLow posted:

What do you mean by "doing it right?" Your girlfriend taking her pill everyday on schedule is the only thing that you really have to get right. As long as it's being taken a directed and nothing's affecting it (like antibiotics, vomiting, etc.) it doesn't really matter much what you do during sex since she won't be ovulating at all.

I'm just paranoid about pregnancies. Statistics be damned, I'm a pessimist. Thanks for the advice.

Geolicious posted:

Yeah, I've been after my guy to get snipped. He's 46 and we both don't want kids and we've been together over 8 years. He's just being a stupid macho-head about it.

Yup. I hear that there is a type of BC men can take (in the form of an injection), but it won't be on the market for a few years. Just tell him to get the snip. If it doesn't take, it doesn't take, [TURNS OUT I'M WRONG]
As long as he doesn't have to ride a bike home after the procedure, just get him some ice cream leave him alone for a day or so.

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 10, 2013

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

GiveUpNed posted:

I'm just paranoid about pregnancies. Statistics be damned, I'm a pessimist. Thanks for the advice.

Yup. I hear that there is a type of BC men can take (in the form of an injection), but it won't be on the market for a few years. Just tell him to get the snip. If it doesn't take, it doesn't take, but having minimal clean-up along with the comfort knowing kids won't rear their ugly heads in the future is worth it.

As long as he doesn't have to ride a bike home after the procedure, just get him some ice cream leave him alone for a day or so.

Minimal cleanup? You do know that a vasectomy just eliminates the sperm from semen, and that the volume semen ejaculated will otherwise be pretty much the same, right?

Also, a few years is pretty optimistic for RISUG/Vasalgel; despite the hype articles that have made the rounds it's still a long way away and might not turn out. I mean, these people are going to rely on indiegogo for funding their north american human trials, that doesn't exactly spark confidence.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 10, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GiveUpNed posted:

Well if you're really worried about it there's always the option of combining birth control, like say the pill and condoms. My boyfriend is also kind of a pessimist and used to pull out every single time in addition to the pill (until 3 years had gone by with no pregnancies/scares and then he kind of trusted it more). I guess it really boils down to how much trust you put in the pill.

And if remembering to take it is a problem for her there's also stuff that doesn't rely on daily doses like the patch, NuvaRing, Implanon/Nexplanon, Depo-Provera, the Mirena and Paragard IUDs. But the more long term options like IUDs and implants tend to be pricier (and also not for the squeamish).

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

NaturalLow posted:

Well if you're really worried about it there's always the option of combining birth control, like say the pill and condoms. My boyfriend is also kind of a pessimist and used to pull out every single time in addition to the pill (until 3 years had gone by with no pregnancies/scares and then he kind of trusted it more). I guess it really boils down to how much trust you put in the pill.

And if remembering to take it is a problem for her there's also stuff that doesn't rely on daily doses like the patch, NuvaRing, Implanon/Nexplanon, Depo-Provera, the Mirena and Paragard IUDs. But the more long term options like IUDs and implants tend to be pricier (and also not for the squeamish).

We're Canadian. She gets all of the above for free due to health insurance. IIRC, she has an alarm for when to take the pills, but she also is looking into an IUD. TBH I hate condoms due to loss of sensitivity, so atm we're combining birth control and coitus interruptus. It's been going well so far and if there are any scares, we have the morning after pill.

Between sessions I make sure to urinate and wash myself.

Once she's been on the pill for a month, we will stop using coitus interruptus. The statistics show that if the pill is taken properly, you will be OK. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Phew. I think we're taking enough precautions.

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 10, 2013

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I've been on a variety of bc pills for three years now, and I think, among the other problems they've caused, that they've also contributed to my depression/anxiety problems. Here's the breakdown:

Tri-Sprintec: Spent three months on this one. It made me crazy. The big, memorable incident was when I went from laughing and joking to a three hour sobfest because my boyfriend threatened to throw my teddy bear off the bed.

Junel FE: What the nurse put me on after the crying incident with the Tri-Sprintec. I spent 18-ish months on this one with no sex drive at all. As in, the idea of sex was tiresome and uninteresting and instead of being something fun it was something I had to force myself to do in order to keep my boyfriend happy.

Azurette: I started this one in October of last year in response to the Junel's chemically induced asexuality. It has been marginally better, taking the lack of sex drive from "actively against the idea" to "eh, sure. I guess."

So I've been off the Azurette for a week because I forgot to pick up my refill and then never managed to be both awake and not in class during a time when the pharmacy was open to pick it up. I'm happier, more energetic and less anxious than I've been in over a year. I even felt the most foreign sensation today: desire. I want to stay off the pills for a few weeks and see if it's just a temporary high or if the pills were really a major contributing factor.

Here is my problem: If the hormones are causing my depression, I can't go back to taking them. The anxiety is so bad it interferes with everyday tasks like getting out of bed in the morning. I am also allergic to nickel, so a copper IUD isn't a good choice for me, even if the entire insertion process didn't freak me the gently caress out. Has anyone else experienced depression/anxiety as a side effect of hormonal birth control?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

GabrielAisling posted:

Here is my problem: If the hormones are causing my depression, I can't go back to taking them. The anxiety is so bad it interferes with everyday tasks like getting out of bed in the morning. I am also allergic to nickel, so a copper IUD isn't a good choice for me, even if the entire insertion process didn't freak me the gently caress out. Has anyone else experienced depression/anxiety as a side effect of hormonal birth control?

Call the Paragard people and ask for a sample. You may not actually react to the amount of nickel that's in the IUD. When I called them for the OP, that's what they suggested doing. I feel ya on imagining the nickel skin reaction + uterus :stare: :cry: but it's worth looking at.

Alternatively: You've only been on combined pills (= have both estrogen and progestin). Often estrogen is responsible for a lot of the mood side effects iirc. Talk to your healthcare provider about trying a progestin-only method like a minipill. Once you see if you have side effects on that, you can consider longer term low hormone options like Implanon, Mirena, or Skyla.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

GabrielAisling posted:

I am SUPER allergic to nickel. They did a skin test and I still have scar from it. It takes about 5 minutes for my ears to swell up into little cherries if I put any jewelry containing nickel into them. I have scar dots all over my legs from the rivets in jeans. Paragard has had no negative side effects for me. I talked to my doctor a lot about it and the amount of nickel is so minuscule that it is extremely unlikely to cause problems.

Do what Eggplant Wizard said if you want extra assurance but i've never met anyone with a nickel allergy worse than mine and paragard has been great.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Call the Paragard people and ask for a sample. You may not actually react to the amount of nickel that's in the IUD. When I called them for the OP, that's what they suggested doing. I feel ya on imagining the nickel skin reaction + uterus :stare: :cry: but it's worth looking at.

Alternatively: You've only been on combined pills (= have both estrogen and progestin). Often estrogen is responsible for a lot of the mood side effects iirc. Talk to your healthcare provider about trying a progestin-only method like a minipill. Once you see if you have side effects on that, you can consider longer term low hormone options like Implanon, Mirena, or Skyla.

I've heard people say their reactions are usually something like a rash/irritation on their abdomen more than anything if they have a reaction, particularly around their period. But I'm not allergic to nickel myself so that's all just what I've heard. I think getting a sample or at least discussing it with your doctor would be a good way to go. I know I've spent the last page wishing for a tubal, but I still LOVE the Paragard and highly recommend it if hormones don't agree with you. The insertion process also freaked me right the hell out, but really your imagination is much scarier than the reality. Once I was there it was cool.

I was also kind of thinking the same thing as Eggplant Wizard. Maybe something with no estrogen would be worth a try? The only downsides to "mini-pills" is that you have a smaller margin for error so you have to be good at remembering to take them on time and they won't regulate your cycle (which of course Paragard won't either). If those work for you, you could get something like Implanon or Mirena.

The only birth control I know of that you absolutely have to avoid is Essure because it's got a significant amount of nickel in it. But that's a permanent option so you probably wouldn't want it now anyway.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Honestly I'm also afraid of the increased cramping that is supposedly caused by the copper IUD. I had debilitating death cramps of DOOM!!! All through middle and high school. The best part about the hormonal bc for me is that those are reduced to ignorable irritation that 400mg of ibuprofen takes care of nicely. I believe the following sentence sums it up nicely: "Help! My uterus hates me and wants me to die a horrible, agonizing death." There's also the IUD + Menstrual cup thing. I love my cup. I don't want it to contribute to my uterus's plots against me by pulling on an IUD. I know it's a silly and mostly unfounded fear, but :ohdear:

My concerns with the minipill are mostly with my own ability to take them on time. I'm awful about taking my pills on time and often realize that I have a headache at 5am because I still haven't bothered to take my paxil, and withdrawal from it is a bitch. I have an alarmed reminder, I'm just terrible at making the cognitive move from alarm to physically taking the medication. It is entirely a "me" problem.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Well so far in my experience, the cramps from Paragard are easy to keep under control with ibuprofen and a heating pad (which I really only need to use when they're really bad). Of course pre-IUD my cramps were probably moderate at best and got a lot worse on the pill for some reason. And although I don't do it myself, it's perfectly fine to use a menstrual cup with an IUD. You just have to make certain you break the seal first before you pull it out, which you probably do anyway.

I was mainly suggesting the mini-pill as a way to "test drive" estrogen-free birth control before going with something more long-term like Implanon or Mirena. Unless you want to jump directly to one of those, I'm not sure what else to suggest. You can keep trying pills until one works for you and since everyone reacts to each one differently, we probably aren't going to be much help suggesting specific brands. To my knowledge, Paragard is about the only non-hormonal birth control method on par with the pill in effectiveness (other than getting sterilized or something). Otherwise it comes down to barrier methods like condoms, diaphragms, cervical caps or something like fertility awareness.

Depending on what country you're in, there is a drug called Saheli that doesn't use hormones. But (1) it's not approved for use in the U.S. so at best you'd probably have to jump through some hoops to import it and (2) I have no idea how it would affect your anxiety/depression problems.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Alternately, it would be a very good skill to learn how to take medication at the same time every day. My trick with BC was to not turn off the alarm until the pill was in my hand.

I think NL's advice about test-driving a minipill to see if Implanon could be a good fit for you is good advice, but it may just turn out that you're a condoms-only (plus spermicide/female condoms etc etc) kind of person.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

InEscape posted:

Alternately, it would be a very good skill to learn how to take medication at the same time every day. My trick with BC was to not turn off the alarm until the pill was in my hand.

I think NL's advice about test-driving a minipill to see if Implanon could be a good fit for you is good advice, but it may just turn out that you're a condoms-only (plus spermicide/female condoms etc etc) kind of person.

I agree with this post.

One thing that helped me take my pill was that I started keeping it in my wallet/purse so that I had it absolutely anytime, anywhere. If it's in a very convenient place like that it makes it easier.

Finally, I use my Diva cup with my Mirena and all is good. IUD+cup club for life. :frogc00l:

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I agree with this post.

One thing that helped me take my pill was that I started keeping it in my wallet/purse so that I had it absolutely anytime, anywhere. If it's in a very convenient place like that it makes it easier.

Finally, I use my Diva cup with my Mirena and all is good. IUD+cup club for life. :frogc00l:

Were it not for my uncanny ability to turn off any alarm, anywhere, without eve waking up, this would be less of a problem. But I've an appointment tomorrow and will ask about my options. Thanks so much for the help.

ElNiffi
Jun 26, 2012
Just back from the gyno!

And I'm getting a copper IUD!

The doctor was fabulous. I had my self all prepared to talk in German, but his English was great.

First he did a Pap smear, then he did an ultrasound of my uterus to check that it was of adequate size to hold the drat thing.

Then we sat down and had a chat about options. He is a fan of the hormonal IUD (he even had one, complete with insertion apparatus, to show me) because apparently copper ones have more of a risk of irritating the ovaries, which can lead to infertility later. But I told him what my periods are like and the bad luck I have had with hormones, so we agreed on the copper option.

He likes to use anesthesia (apparently they will knock me out for a whopping 90 seconds, and it'll cost 100 euros) for the insertion and he will do it when I'm on my period. Which should be arriving any day now.

I'm so excited! :dance:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

ElNiffi posted:

He likes to use anesthesia (apparently they will knock me out for a whopping 90 seconds, and it'll cost 100 euros) for the insertion and he will do it when I'm on my period. Which should be arriving any day now.

I'm so excited! :dance:

Wow... wish I was knocked out for mine. Holy god it hurt.

I have a question about my copper IUD. My husband mentioned that he hasn't been able to feel the thread/wire lately while we have sex. It used to be able to be felt while I was on top of him but apparently not the last time. He's got me all worried that it's fallen out, or gone AWOL or something. I had the doctor who inserted it cut the threads fairly short and it's not feelable with fingers.

How likely is it that it's gone and I'm not currently protected? It seems pretty unlikely, right? I want to make an appointment with my doctor, but she's only available tomorrow, and work won't give me the time off. So naturally I'm turning to the internet for medical advice.

I've had my IUD for 6 months or so, and I've not had children, so my cervix was, apparently, pretty tight when the doctor inserted it.

E: Doing some impromptu research after posting in a mild panic on SA has led me to believe that a) it's possible, b) I should see a doctor and c) I will be going on a fishing trip for strings tonight. I feel ignorant as hell for saying it, but I've not ever checked the strings myself because it makes me uncomfortable. First time for everything!

a life less fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 12, 2013

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

a life less posted:

Wow... wish I was knocked out for mine. Holy god it hurt.

I have a question about my copper IUD. My husband mentioned that he hasn't been able to feel the thread/wire lately while we have sex. It used to be able to be felt while I was on top of him but apparently not the last time. He's got me all worried that it's fallen out, or gone AWOL or something. I had the doctor who inserted it cut the threads fairly short and it's not feelable with fingers.

How likely is it that it's gone and I'm not currently protected? It seems pretty unlikely, right? I want to make an appointment with my doctor, but she's only available tomorrow, and work won't give me the time off. So naturally I'm turning to the internet for medical advice.

I've had my IUD for 6 months or so, and I've not had children, so my cervix was, apparently, pretty tight when the doctor inserted it.

E: Doing some impromptu research after posting in a mild panic on SA has led me to believe that a) it's possible, b) I should see a doctor and c) I will be going on a fishing trip for strings tonight. I feel ignorant as hell for saying it, but I've not ever checked the strings myself because it makes me uncomfortable. First time for everything!

It's likely that the string has just softened up and curled up around your cervix. I wouldn't worry too much, but definitely go visit the doctor and check just in case if you feel like it would ease your mind. My husband has a speculum (no idea, didn't ask) and he's been checking mine for me every two months or so when I remember cause my fingers are too short to find my cervix.

If it's still there, then great! Your husband won't have to deal with being poked. If it's not, then you've found out in plenty of time to fix it. So try not to panic too much, and good luck :)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I can't feel mine either. And not for lack of trying either. I guess I'm too fat/fingers too short.

I haven't noticed anything amiss so I am going to assume it's A-OK up in there.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
I got Mirena today. I have a 2-year-old with no plans for more right now, and I can't take most BCPs because of migraine with aura. I was on the mini pill but tired of taking a pill at the same time every day. I missed one recently and took plan b, and that was the catalyst for finding a better solution.

I found the dilation really uncomfortable, and embarrassingly had a panic attack during the insertion. My doctor said my cervix was unusually difficult for someone who's given birth, great. :gonk: A couple hours and ibuprofens later and I feel fine.

She mentioned I should check for the strings during this first month or I can come in and have her do it, otherwise I'm set for 5 years!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Twatty Seahag posted:

and embarrassingly had a panic attack during the insertion.

Pfffft. Don't be embarrassed. I hyperventilated until my vision went blurry.

Enjoy those 5 years Mirena buddy!

JustinMorgan
Apr 27, 2010

Geolicious posted:

Yeah I can't feel mine either. And not for lack of trying either. I guess I'm too fat/fingers too short.

I haven't noticed anything amiss so I am going to assume it's A-OK up in there.

Same here. I've never been able to feel my strings. I'm sure I would know if it had fallen out/ perforated my uterus...right? Should I just assume everything is fine?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I just assume that as long as I am not in pain or bleeding strangely, I am OK. I no longer have a period so no tampons in and no blood out. And no sex for a while, so there's been no real goings-on up in there.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

So I saw the nurse today, and she's put me on another combo pill with a different type/dosage of progesterone, mostly based on the fact that I hated the Junel less than I hated the Kariva. It's called Zovia and I have a three month adjustment scrip before I get to go in again and hopefully request the minipill because it's the estrogen making me crazy. Mostly because the more I consider my options, the more I think Implanon, if progestin-only works for me, would be the best choice. No-maintenance bc without angering my uterus? Yes, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Implanon has been so awesome for me. There's been some wonky bleeding, but nothing deal-breaking in the grand scheme of things. There's no hormone rollercoaster like Depo, and no daily/weekly/monthly responsibility. Three fuckin years mang.

• Locked thread