Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, and corn meal helps.
Every time I've used corn meal (in a home oven) I've felt like it was more of a pain in the rear end than it was worth.

If I'm worried about poo poo sticking, I'll just use a sheet of parchment. For something like a pizza you just put it directly on the stone when the pie first goes in the oven, then do the tablecloth trick and pull it out after (literally) a minute or so. Doesn't affect the quality of the crust, and there's never any cleanup.

Squashy Nipples posted:

For the record, I use a lipless cookie sheet.
Yeah, flat half-sheet here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

CzarChasm posted:

[good tips on fish]

have you tried this recipe, unaltered, before? Did you think it was too sweet?

Fishes in question are monkfish, swordfish, tuna and slamon. The salmon and tuna, I don't have much of a problem since I under cook/only sear them, it is the other fishes that I'm getting that water problem with. I'm going to try the salting in advance method. "Leaking" makes sense because the inside of the fishes I cooked on high heat was just nice but the outside could have been too well done. The monkfish just gave out water like crazy in the pan on med-high heat as the fish monger recommended, so I'm lost on that.

I have tried the full recipe before, it was very sweet. That's why I'm going to halve the sugar. Thanks for the pointers!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've never done anything to season my stone. Raw dough that goes on it will stick when it hits the hot stone, but then release as soon as it gets cooked.

Well we have a stone that my wife got from pampered chef and as far as I know its no different from a pizza stone. The only real difference I can think of is that we cook all kinds of different stuff on it. The care instructions for it basically say don't scrub it, just scrape anything hardened off of it but otherwise let it go. I want to say it specifically says don't do the self clean cycle thing with it because of that.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
Any suggestions for good vegetarian main dishes to go with brussels sprouts? Today the answer was 'the rest of the brussels sprouts'.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Aradekasta posted:

Any suggestions for good vegetarian main dishes to go with brussels sprouts? Today the answer was 'the rest of the brussels sprouts'.

Tofu Parmesan? I like this recipe.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I’m teaching myself to cook, and last night I made a pretty good pasta dish (for me, at least) but I think it needs some other stuff in it. Any suggestions?

Wheat pasta, cherry tomatoes, spinach, parmesan cheese. I sautéed the spinach and tomatoes, boiled the pasta, and then tossed it all with the spinach/tomatoes/cheese. Man it was good as gently caress.

I’m thinking of adding artichoke hearts, anything else I should consider? Herbs/spices/etc? What about side dishes or better cheese?

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 12, 2013

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hi! I could not find a CA Bay Area dining thread or a SF dining thread, am I not looking hard enough?
I just want something for V-day :shobon:

edit: I just checked the wiki, still nothing

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 12, 2013

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I’m teaching myself to cook, and last night I made a pretty good pasta dish (for me, at least) but I think it needs some other stuff in it. Any suggestions?

Wheat pasta, cherry tomatoes, spinach, parmesan cheese. I sautéed the spinach and tomatoes, boiled the pasta, and then tossed it all with the spinach/tomatoes/cheese. Man it was good as gently caress.

I’m thinking of adding artichoke hearts, anything else I should consider? Herbs/spices/etc? What about side dishes or better cheese?

Add olives and feta cheese. I don't like it much, but everyone else seems to love the combination.
Personally, I'd just add grilled (or pan seared) chicken and garlic, simmered in olive oil, to that kind of thing. Basil is a natural. Also, throw a splash of wine, stock, or even just water into the bottom of the pan and scrape up the bits of deliciousness before you throw in the pasta.

Where are you getting the artichoke hearts from? If they are canned or jarred you might gently caress up your dish by making it too sour and wet. You might want to strain them and pat them dry first then cook them to brown.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gyshall posted:

Just some basic things off the top of my head:
Garlic. Some fresh minced added to the sauteed tomatoes and spinach. Either added to the pan at the start on very low heat to mellow it out, or add it right at the end if you like the sharp bite. EDIT: If you want to mellow it, cook it low and then remove it from the pan/heat and add it back later. Otherwise it will burn and taste awful. But keep the oil in the pan, it will add good garlic flavor to the veg.

Are you sauteing in butter or oil? Maybe add a little salt to the spinach and tomatoes. Both of those veggies can have a lot of water when you cook them, do you have to drain off any excess water that you've noticed? If so, you may want to salt and drain the tomatoes and par cook the spinach before adding to the pan.

If you want to brighten up the dish you could add a little lemon zest and some fresh squeezed lemon juice after everything is mixed. Not too much, you don't want to overpower everything.

A little oregano, basil and parsley never hurt any Italian dishes.

The cheese should be fine if you are using the real stuff and not the stuff in a can.

For side dishes, either a small salad, or a nice warm loaf of bread.

Herr Tog posted:

Hi! I could not find a CA Bay Area dining thread or a SF dining thread, am I not looking hard enough?
I just want something for V-day :shobon:

edit: I just checked the wiki, still nothing

Here's one I started last year. Great list of options
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504497

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 12, 2013

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CzarChasm posted:

Here's one I started last year. Great list of options
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504497

Should I post further things in there or in here? I don't wanna get probate/banned for necro.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Do it! Chokes are great with pasta. Asparagus would be nice too. Herbs, try some basic Italian herbs blend. As for better cheese, assuming that you used canned "shake cheese", you need to buy some whole hard cheese and shred/microplane it yourself.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Every time I've used corn meal (in a home oven) I've felt like it was more of a pain in the rear end than it was worth.

If I'm worried about poo poo sticking, I'll just use a sheet of parchment. For something like a pizza you just put it directly on the stone when the pie first goes in the oven, then do the tablecloth trick and pull it out after (literally) a minute or so. Doesn't affect the quality of the crust, and there's never any cleanup.

I know, I know, the girlfriend and I have these argument every time we bake pizza. She likes the parchment, even though it crisps up black if you leave it in. I agree that it's easier, and arguably better, but I just really like coarse corn meal on the crust. Doesn't taste like much, but I like the texture.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Is there an easy way to get meat off the bone prior to cooking or browning chicken?
To explain, normally I just buy chicken thigh fillets.
But this time, for freshness, trying not to waste meat, and maybe make my own stock, and choosing to buy from what is considered here a decent chicken farm, I bought a whole chicken.
I'm no stranger to whole chickens because I roast them heaps, but this time I bought it just to cut it up and use in three different meals. I cut it up and used the breast for spicy chicken tortillas for one meal, then a stir fry for another. But I want to use the remaining meat, drum sticks and thighs and maybe wings if possible, for another recipe that traditionally doesn't use whole drumsticks or wings.
I'm thinking of making a peanut satay or thai green curry with some chilli and veg, and really I want the boneless meat from the drumsticks, wings and thighs. (edit: I know the thighs are simple to get boneless meat from, talking about the drum sticks and wings mainly)
Is the best way just to go at it with a knife, or maybe poach them so the meat comes off the bone, then a quick browning?
Help me goons.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 12, 2013

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Fo3 posted:

Is there an easy way to get meat off the bone prior to cooking or browning chicken?
To explain, normally I just buy chicken thigh fillets.
But this time, for freshness, trying not to waste meat, and maybe make my own stock, and choosing to buy from what is considered here a decent chicken farm, I bought a whole chicken.
I'm no stranger to whole chickens because I roast them heaps, but this time I bought it just to cut it up and use in three different meals. I cut it up and used the breast for spicy chicken tortillas for one meal, then a stir fry for another. But I want to use the remaining meat, drum sticks and thighs and maybe wings if possible, for another recipe that traditionally doesn't use whole drumsticks or wings.
I'm thinking of making a peanut satay or thai green curry with some chilli and veg, and really I want the boneless meat from the drumsticks, wings and thighs. (edit: I know the thighs are simple to get boneless meat from, talking about the drum sticks and wings mainly)
Is the best way just to go at it with a knife, or maybe poach them so the meat comes off the bone, then a quick browning?
Help me goons.

Use the knife. You will want your knife to be sharp as all hell though. Any bluntness and it will be a pain to do. Make a long, deep cut along the length of the bone. You can then make thin cuts right next to the bone, working your way around to what amounts to shaving or peeling the meat off the bone. Once you loosen your way to the end, use your knife and cut the flap of meat completely off the joints.

Just like the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrGYaVN_T_0

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Gyshall posted:

Maybe make it a wine sauce?

Adding shrimp or scallops is always cool too.

There's several good recipes in the wiki btw. The spaghetti carb is solid.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I'm a jerk and don't like huge amounts of stuff in my pasta unless the pasta is an "also-ran" to the dish. I really like the gently caress out of some tomato basil sauce, but I could be open to making it a meat sauce as well.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
next try in the sushi department...
This time I washed my rice vigorously, and that helped a lot!

Made an inside out roll, with surimi and avocado on the inside, and honey sweetened crushed cashew nuts and peanuts on the outside (the sweetened cashew nuts idea was from my favorite sushi bar...the sweetened peanuts are what I got in the package with the cashews from my local supermarket. Next time I'm going to take out the peanuts, and crush the cashew a little bit further...the taste of sweetened nuts on the outside? Awesome!)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

paraquat posted:

next try in the sushi department...
This time I washed my rice vigorously, and that helped a lot!

Made an inside out roll, with surimi and avocado on the inside, and honey sweetened crushed cashew nuts and peanuts on the outside (the sweetened cashew nuts idea was from my favorite sushi bar...the sweetened peanuts are what I got in the package with the cashews from my local supermarket. Next time I'm going to take out the peanuts, and crush the cashew a little bit further...the taste of sweetened nuts on the outside? Awesome!)

Those look good enough to serve in a restaurant. Good job!

How did it taste?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

EVG posted:

How did it taste?

The man said "awesome!" :P

Are there any good breakfast casseroles?

I tried making one (from a recipe) with sausage, egg, cream cheese, tomatoes, sliced peppers, and some cheddar... and it came out a giant, watery mess. I soaked up/poured out a lot of the water and baked it some more but it was basically baked fatty watery poo poo.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Crossposting from the product thread since it is also a quick question:

I'm looking for a shorter stock pot to fit the steamer insert from the set that I already have, since it's a bit of a hassle if I'm just looking to quickly steam something. But it looks like diameter isn't a dimension that is normally given; is that because most stock pots are the same width? I've about decided on this one https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-744-24-Classic-Stainless-6-Quart/dp/B00008CM6I, but although I can always use more pots I'd really like it to take the steamer that I already have.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

tarepanda posted:

The man said "awesome!" :P

I tried making one (from a recipe) with sausage, egg, cream cheese, tomatoes, sliced peppers, and some cheddar... and it came out a giant, watery mess. I soaked up/poured out a lot of the water and baked it some more but it was basically baked fatty watery poo poo.

Maybe salt and drain the tomatoes first? I know it's the second time I've stated it this page, but tomatoes are something like %110 water, and that can wash out everything else.

You might be looking for something a bit more like a crust-less quiche, which usually calls for more of a custard filling, so all the ingredients are in suspension and not moving everywhere. Can you provide the recipe? Maybe we can take a look at it and see where improvements can be made.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Yeah, every year my mom makes one for breakfast Christmas morning... we joking refer to it as "breakfast lasagne". Not quite a souffle, clearly not a quiche, but more of a casserole in a lasagne pan.

I'll ask her for the recipe.

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
Here is the best place I think. Yep. Sorry if this post sounds like Rain Man.

Chicken Pot Pie.

I've never made it before, but I stupidly agreed to make it for a movie night for some buddies tomorrow night.

It's supposed to be the simplest thing in the loving world but I don't know where to start.

Do I make a roux? Do I not?

Half the ingredients I payed for didn't get delivered, which makes things even more fun.

So, I have a few questions about chicken pot pie. As far as fresh vegetables go, I have onion, potato, carrot and celery. I'm using chicken thigh cutlets.

Things I should have that didn't come - Fresh Sage, Fresh chives (scallions) Olive oil, butter.

I have 2 main questions:

First and foremost: Does anyone have a good recipe for chicken pot pie that I don't have to use too much cream or any rosemary for? I loving hate rosemary.

Second, without the cream, should I make a roux, and if I do, how much should I cook the flour?

Bonus question: Are there any vegetables or herbs you'd recommend I add to make it tastier?

edit: I wandered downtown and bought the missing ingredients. Why are chives so expensive :smith:

Favela Flav fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 13, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Noodle or crusty?

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009

tarepanda posted:

Noodle or crusty?

If that's in response to me, at least give me some credit. Jeez. Noodles? No. I made the pastry myself from scratch, I just wanna get the filling right, and hopefully not have to gently caress off back to the goddamn supermarket again.

Supermarket aisles are the closest we'll ever get to seeing zombies in real life. You'll see wave after wave of people who look lost. Mouth wide open. Slack jawed.. just staring. Staring into the shelves, hoping that something might jump out at them.

Then there are the other folk.... who walk around with tribes of kids.. 4, 5, 6 kids.. running around and throwing poo poo everywhere, and suddenly it's your fault when they run full-tilt into the front of your shopping cart and the then the fat cow waddles up and says you shouldn't have left your trolley there.

You should've maybe exercised some parenting before taking your tribe of shoeless kids out in public you stupid fat bitch.

Sorry, it's been a long, long day :smith:

vvv Sorry man and ^^^ sorry guys above. It's been a bastard of a day for me. No excuse, but thanks for the advice

Favela Flav fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 13, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Whoa, that's a strong response.

It's just that "chicken pot pie" can mean two types of dishes in Pennsylvania, at least -- one is a pie with a stew-like filling, the other is basically a stew with flat egg noodles. I wasn't sure which you meant.

Chunk your chicken, carrots, and potatoes, dice the celery, toss everything into a pot. Put in enough water to cover everything and boil for 20 minutes.

Fry your onions in a pan with some butter or lard until they're just on the not-quite side of translucent, put them in a bowl.

Make a roux, take everything out of the pot and dump it in the bowl with the onions.

Add the chickeny water to your roux until you get a cream-ish thing at a nice consistency.

Dump all of the good stuff into your crust, add the creamy stuff over top, put on a lattice or a solid crust or whatever you want. Maybe add a frowny face.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Herr Tog posted:

Should I post further things in there or in here? I don't wanna get probate/banned for necro.

Post away. I'd love some more info on SF area dining.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

EVG posted:

How did it taste?

Thanks!
And they tasted great. I like the taste of something sweet with sushi...however, next time, I'd make one roll of this, and the other roll with something different (like smoked salmon on the outside, and a dollop of mayo)

Does anyone have any other sushi ideas apart from the usual ingredients?
I'd like to experiment a bit further.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Does anyone here use oil misters at home in place of a can of pam? Pam has always kind of grossed me out, and I've seen people in the past using water misters for their oils but I've always sort of questioned the cleanliness/hygeine of that. Now I've found this oil mister and I'm questioning if it's too specific a tool. Would I use it much at all?

e: VVV Cook it with a hair straightener. :v: That's all I can think of when I hear flat iron.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 13, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I'm thawing out an "Flat iron" steak. Do I treak this like a flank steak? London broil? I've never cooked/had one before.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Grill or sear, slice thin against the grain

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Local grocery store is selling whole beef tenderloin for $7.99/lb. I want to buy as many as will fit in my freezer. Will they keep okay? Or is that a terrible idea?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My experience with freezing and thawing tenderloin has not been good. It's so tender to begin with, it tends to get mushy.

That said, if you're going to do it, I would fabricate the tenderloin (remove the silver skin and chain, cut into steaks) then individually vacuum pack them and freeze them. I spread them out on a cookie sheet when I first freeze them so they can freeze more quickly. This will minimize the damage that freezing does to the meat.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I just found a vial of vanilla pods that's probably been sitting around for 20 years or more. It's a glass vial with a natural cork stopper. The pods are still flexible, but I have never used vanilla in pod form before?

Any chance the vanilla still has some flavor? I stuck them in a jar of sugar. Good idea or not?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I found beans that I thought were sealed that were probably a year old and they were dry as hell. Didn't seem to have much flavor either. But I doubt it could hurt anything in the sugar, so see what happens I guess.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My experience with freezing and thawing tenderloin has not been good. It's so tender to begin with, it tends to get mushy.

That said, if you're going to do it, I would fabricate the tenderloin (remove the silver skin and chain, cut into steaks) then individually vacuum pack them and freeze them. I spread them out on a cookie sheet when I first freeze them so they can freeze more quickly. This will minimize the damage that freezing does to the meat.

Thanks for this. I'll try going in for two.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

axolotl farmer posted:

I just found a vial of vanilla pods that's probably been sitting around for 20 years or more. It's a glass vial with a natural cork stopper. The pods are still flexible, but I have never used vanilla in pod form before?

Any chance the vanilla still has some flavor? I stuck them in a jar of sugar. Good idea or not?

Flex them and smell them. Vanilla is hella strong, if you can't smell them after bending them gently then they are junk to to thrown away.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I cooked coq au vin for the first time tonight and while I'm sure it adds flavour, the chicken skin seemed massively wasted. Eating soggy chicken skin isn't pleasant at all so it gets wasted. Would I be better served serving and grilling/broiling it so its crispy and serving with the rest of the meal? I feel there should be enough flavour coming from the drumsticks and thighs

Favela Flav
Dec 24, 2009
Okay, here's my plan of attack for the pot pie. Youtube has way too many people who like to call themselves 'chef'... Holy poo poo some bad recipes there.

I have my chicken thighs marinating in garlic and olive oil... coming up on the 12hr mark now. My plan is to fry the thighs in a pan and tear them up by hand, then deglaze the pan with milk and add flour to get the roux going, with salt and white pepper.

I have chopped and ready to go celery, carrot and onion - Not sure if I should just dump 'em in or fry them in some butter first.

Also, I have a bunch of potatoes. Should I slice them and fry them a la village fries and add them to the pie or should I roast them and have em on the side?

Sorry if this sounds overly dramatic. Turns out my mum is having a gall bladder out tonight, and guess who everybody picked to come stay with? We find out tomorrow if it's cancer or not. In the meantime the least I can do is not gently caress up a meal for the family :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Favela Flav posted:

Okay, here's my plan of attack for the pot pie. Youtube has way too many people who like to call themselves 'chef'... Holy poo poo some bad recipes there.

I have my chicken thighs marinating in garlic and olive oil... coming up on the 12hr mark now. My plan is to fry the thighs in a pan and tear them up by hand, then deglaze the pan with milk and add flour to get the roux going, with salt and white pepper.

I have chopped and ready to go celery, carrot and onion - Not sure if I should just dump 'em in or fry them in some butter first.

Also, I have a bunch of potatoes. Should I slice them and fry them a la village fries and add them to the pie or should I roast them and have em on the side?

Sorry if this sounds overly dramatic. Turns out my mum is having a gall bladder out tonight, and guess who everybody picked to come stay with? We find out tomorrow if it's cancer or not. In the meantime the least I can do is not gently caress up a meal for the family :unsmith:

Did you miss my whole chicken pot pie post?

What are you planning to add the roux to? I'm not seeing any liquids...

Do both -- put the potatoes in the pie, but make some fries for the side. It's fun dipping fries in gravy.