Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SO I finally picked up my N7, the 16 gig model because none of the brick-and-mortar stores in my area had any variant in stock and I didn't figure I would really need the space.

So far I'm liking it, but I've noticed that just on the edge of the screen (just under the recent apps button when in portrait mode) there's a slight light patch, sort of like the discoloration when you poke an LCD screen. It's not very prominent and you can't really notice it unless you've got a black screen, but I was wondering if this is a symptom of something that might get worse before it gets better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

SO I finally picked up my N7, the 16 gig model because none of the brick-and-mortar stores in my area had any variant in stock and I didn't figure I would really need the space.

So far I'm liking it, but I've noticed that just on the edge of the screen (just under the recent apps button when in portrait mode) there's a slight light patch, sort of like the discoloration when you poke an LCD screen. It's not very prominent and you can't really notice it unless you've got a black screen, but I was wondering if this is a symptom of something that might get worse before it gets better?

Just keep on mind you might be staring at this device for multiple hours a day and that you can likely just take out back into the store this close to the purchase date... I know what I would do. I bought mine used and it has a small scratch that bothers me every day.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I just bought a Nexus 7 (32gb+GSM) and now I'm looking for a case. Are there any recommendations?

I looked around a bit and there seems to be no clear consensus as to which case to buy. What I'd like is a case that is ideally slim and that I can fold around from the display to the back so I have a tablet stand. I'm not a huge fan of plastic, so leather or cloth would be appreciated as well. I guess some fake-book thing or some other gimmick is cool too if it's done well.
From what I gather, the magnet feature is mostly broken because the second you attach the magnet to the back of the tablet it goes into sleep mode as well. Or are there any cases where this doesn't happen?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dirk Funk posted:

So, I have the opportunity to pick up a two month old Nexus 7 (16 gig model) that just sat on someones desk for those two months for $120 and is in perfect shape.

I don't really need it for anything since my gf already has the 32 gig model that I can use whenever I feel like doing something so I'm thinking about picking this up and flipping it for $175 on Craigslist or something and making a little bit of cash.

Since it's the smaller version would it be feasible to ask that price or should I not bother?

That seems awfully high. The 16GB N7 can be had brand new with warranty for $200, just $25 more than your $175 tablet of unknown provenance. Unless you have a purchase receipt nobody will believe you that it's two months old.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 12, 2013

revolther
May 27, 2008
Where were you two pages ago when someone subtly dropped a link to their SA mart thread selling a used 32g/hspa+ Nexus for the same price as new, I had to restrain myself from posting a tirade.

edit: nope, same as new.

revolther fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 12, 2013

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That guy was asking for $100 less than full price.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

parrhesia posted:

I just bought a Nexus 7 (32gb+GSM) and now I'm looking for a case. Are there any recommendations?

I looked around a bit and there seems to be no clear consensus as to which case to buy. What I'd like is a case that is ideally slim and that I can fold around from the display to the back so I have a tablet stand. I'm not a huge fan of plastic, so leather or cloth would be appreciated as well. I guess some fake-book thing or some other gimmick is cool too if it's done well.
From what I gather, the magnet feature is mostly broken because the second you attach the magnet to the back of the tablet it goes into sleep mode as well. Or are there any cases where this doesn't happen?

I would recommend a DODOcase, the hardcover one. http://www.dodocase.com/products/hardcover-for-nexus-7-cases

I use one, and it's simple as hell. Magnet works the way it's supposed to as well. I've got no complaints.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

parrhesia posted:

The magnet turning off the screen from the back is only an issue on lovely ebay cases and really early models that have since fixed the problem.

It sounds like the Poetic Slimline case is what you're looking for. It's slim, light, fake leather, closes with magnets on the front, and has a smart cover ripoff to act as the stand. I've got one and love it, but quality control is apparently all over the place judging from reviews, so YMMV... I got lucky, you may not, though I've heard their customer service is good for what that's worth.

Aside from that, pretty much everyone else here seems to like the Blurex / MoKo / etc slim case. I wasn't crazy about how it looks or the fact that it closes with a clasp, but I'm in the minority on that one so definitely check it out. It's probably the safest bet.

These are also both quite cheap, which may be a bonus for you.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I have the Poetic and I bought the MoKo for my mother. The MoKo is a lot nicer and it has the stylus strap on the bottom so it doesn't interfere with the volume and power keys. I cut the stylus holder from mine because the keys were really hard to hit and I'm not going to use a stylus anyway.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

That seems awfully high. The 16GB N7 can be had brand new with warranty for $200, just $25 more than your $175 tablet of unknown provenance. Unless you have a purchase receipt nobody will believe you that it's two months old.

Yeah, I thought that as well but it's $200 plus taxes and shipping so it's a bit more than that plus wouldn't this still have a manufacturer warranty on it?

Well, I ended up picking it up anyway. It really is basically brand new and in perfect condition. Everything is back in the original plastic and everything. I listed it at $175 OBO so even if I only made like $30 then I would be fine with that or worst case I would have just kept it for myself. All in all, I ended up getting lots of people who wanted it and will be selling it for the full $175 later today:woop:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

sethsez posted:

The magnet turning off the screen from the back is only an issue on lovely ebay cases and really early models that have since fixed the problem.

It sounds like the Poetic Slimline case is what you're looking for. It's slim, light, fake leather, closes with magnets on the front, and has a smart cover ripoff to act as the stand. I've got one and love it, but quality control is apparently all over the place judging from reviews, so YMMV... I got lucky, you may not, though I've heard their customer service is good for what that's worth.

Aside from that, pretty much everyone else here seems to like the Blurex / MoKo / etc slim case. I wasn't crazy about how it looks or the fact that it closes with a clasp, but I'm in the minority on that one so definitely check it out. It's probably the safest bet.

These are also both quite cheap, which may be a bonus for you.
The DODOcase and the Poetic were already on my radar, so that helps narrowing it down. Thanks a lot! If the Poetic has quality issues, I probably won't get it though. It's not available in Germany, so I would have to import it from England which means that sending it back is a huge pain in the rear end in case there is something wrong with it.

Another one I found was the Treegloo Streamliner. Does anybody have any experience with that? If not (or if it's crap), I'll probably go with the DODOcase.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

parrhesia posted:

Another one I found was the Treegloo Streamliner. Does anybody have any experience with that? If not (or if it's crap), I'll probably go with the DODOcase.

Back when I was shopping around for cases, I looked at Treegloo. They took absolutely forever (like 3+mos) to ship out cases, as they were all handmade, and they had issues with orders or something. When people tried to cancel, they would push back and say it'd ship in a few days, and it wouldn't. I believe this happened to a few people here, and they went with a Protenzo (I think that's what it was called) case.

I had an issue with my DODOcase, and they shipped me a new one, free of charge, via USPS Priority. From initial complaint (via chat, by the way), to replacement case in hand, in 3 days.

YMMV though, of course.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
4.2.2 is rolling out. Direct Links to the Nexus 7 (Wifi) and Nexus 10 4.2.2 OTA's if you want to use ADB Sideload:

Nexus 7: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_nakasi/6ece895ecb23.signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip

Nexus 10: http://android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/google_mantaray/eaef14432ff5.signed-mantaray-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.eaef1443.zip

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 12, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thanks! I'll use these tonight if I haven't gotten the OTA. Is there one available for the 4?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Thanks! I'll use these tonight if I haven't gotten the OTA. Is there one available for the 4?

Doesn't seem to be one for the N4 (though I'm well over my daily XDA quota so it may be that I overlooked it). Though going by its Twitter footprint it doesn't seem like its rollout has even been started.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The rollout for the 4 has not started yet.

So far it's only the 10, 7, and GNex.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I put it on my GSM Galaxy Nexus, and I don't see any problems with it. However, I haven't used the phone since then.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

BoyBlunder posted:

I would recommend a DODOcase, the hardcover one. http://www.dodocase.com/products/hardcover-for-nexus-7-cases

I use one, and it's simple as hell. Magnet works the way it's supposed to as well. I've got no complaints.

The idea of having some kind of sticker that the tablet attaches to is kindof a dealbreaker on this one to me. Does it leave any sort of residue on the back of the tablet? How secure is it really? I like to know it is held on all sides..

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I have the Poetic and I bought the MoKo for my mother. The MoKo is a lot nicer and it has the stylus strap on the bottom so it doesn't interfere with the volume and power keys. I cut the stylus holder from mine because the keys were really hard to hit and I'm not going to use a stylus anyway.

It sounds like you have something different than I was talking about, since the Poetic Slimline doesn't have a stylus loop or anything like that.

This is the case I was talking about : http://www.yourpoetic.com/p/304/slimline They have a bunch of other cases but they're mostly folio types. The Slimline is basically their version of the Apple Smart Case.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Yeah, I was talking about the kind with the six claws that hold the tablet. It looks like they call it the "hardback" on their site.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

sethsez posted:

It sounds like you have something different than I was talking about, since the Poetic Slimline doesn't have a stylus loop or anything like that.

This is the case I was talking about : http://www.yourpoetic.com/p/304/slimline They have a bunch of other cases but they're mostly folio types. The Slimline is basically their version of the Apple Smart Case.

Just FYI, the price on their site is absurd. Right now, those are on sale on Amazon for $12.95. For that price, I snagged one to see if it fits my needs any better than my Blurex. I like that style of case on my wife's iPad. (even though I'm not a fan of her iPad..)

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

TShields posted:

Just FYI, the price on their site is absurd. Right now, those are on sale on Amazon for $12.95. For that price, I snagged one to see if it fits my needs any better than my Blurex. I like that style of case on my wife's iPad. (even though I'm not a fan of her iPad..)

Yeah, that's about what I paid too, I just linked to the site because it was what came up when I Googled it.

Interested to see what you'll think of it compared to the Blurex.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

TShields posted:

The idea of having some kind of sticker that the tablet attaches to is kindof a dealbreaker on this one to me. Does it leave any sort of residue on the back of the tablet? How secure is it really? I like to know it is held on all sides..

No residue at all (I just forcibly removed it to check), and when I re-stuck it on there, I flapped it around a bit. It's really stuck on there.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No sign of it on the N7 3G either.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

So far so good on my WiFi N7.

It feels snappier, but that could be more due to the fresh Dalvik rebuild than anything else. I'll have to poke around for a few days and see how she runs.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have two N7 3Gs in front of me, one is my existing one which has a blown speaker, and one is my replacement from Google.

The new one shows no drive in MTP mode. But the old one works fine. They both show up as "Android Composite ADB Interface" in Device Manager but the old one also has an entry under "Portable Devices". Both work under PTP but that isn't helpful.

What the hell?

Edit: Disabling USB Debugging makes it work, but somehow my old device works both ways. I'd like to not have to toggle it all the time. It's pretty odd.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 13, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Something is weird there. I haven't had a problem yet getting MTP and ADB to work simultaneously with my N7. I wouldn't even hazard that it's a difference between WiFI and 3G models because that function is so far removed from the USB connection.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Panic over. I deleted the drivers from the broken one and toggle Debugging and deleted them again and reconnected it and deleted them again and kept doing that poo poo until it didn't know what the device was at all. Then I pointed it as the Google driver and it worked.

I don't know it this was a case of :argh:Google or :argh:Asus or :argh:Microsoft but whatever. Thanks anyway!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 13, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I had to add an extra device string to the .inf in the Asus driver to get my laptop to recognize my N7 in recovery ADB mode.

So yeah...

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

How are they rolling out these updates? Region, serial number..? I don't understand, why wouldn't it just turn on for everyone at once? Mine hasn't hit yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was surprised to see the update hasn't hit for me yet either. Everything Google does is ultra slow though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I did the sideload on my 7 and 10, no problems on either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google rolls out updates slowly so as to not have repeats of ICS breaking the GSM Nexus S and needing to be pulled. It broke every phone that updated to it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

TShields posted:

How are they rolling out these updates? Region, serial number..? I don't understand, why wouldn't it just turn on for everyone at once? Mine hasn't hit yet.

It's partly about not serving concurrent bandwidth to a billion devices, and partly about releasing in batches so that not everybody's hosed if something showstopping crops up. The number of people who will DIY it and go for the sideload is likely insignificant to this overall picture, plus they're likely the best equipped to solve their own problems if something goes south.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anybody with 4.2.2 notice a change in battery life?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...2-2-the-reason/

Google changed the estimated time from 8 hours of battery life to 10. It's possibly due to something in 4.2.2 but no one knows just yet.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
So I just got my nexus 10 today, but it appears to have arrived stillborn. It won't power on and plugging it in doesn't seem to light up and leds or anything. I already filed an rma with Google, but is there anything I can try before giving up entirely?

So far, I've tried pressing and holding the power button for up to a minute, as well as pressing the power and plus volume at the same time.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Plug in the power and leave it plugged in for an hour or so, then try to turn it on by holding the power button until it vibrates.

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Trying now, will report back in an hour!

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
ohmygodohmygodohmygod it works now I love you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Turd Nelson posted:

ohmygodohmygodohmygod it works now I love you!

The secret is that they ship them with dead as gently caress batteries...