Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I have a friend who's had an EVO Shift for less than a year and it is slowly going downhill into suckville. Specifically, she's noticing that the microphone is going to hell and it "sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel when I talk".

Is there anything that can/will do for her at the Sprint store or is she at the mercy of HTC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I've got a question about porting numbers; my Sprint contract ends on 2/17 and I just bought two phones from Virgin Mobile which should arrive in the next few days. I've never done this before and I'm really nervous of screwing up the timing and either losing my number(s) or triggering an early cancellation fee :ohdear:

Everything I read seems to give conflicting advice, do I initiate the activation / porting process with my Virgin phones before or after my Sprint contract's expiration date? Not sure if the current plan details matter but I'm on a family/shared 700 right now, my phone having been technically off contract for absolutely ages and just coasting on my husband's contract.

My guess is that if I, for example, received the phones tomorrow I could port my number with no problem (since it's described as "You have no agreement or your agreement with us is complete." when I check account details) but if I tried to port my husband's number tomorrow it would close the account early? ("Your agreement with us, which started on 02/18/12, will be completed on 02/17/13.") Do I wait for 2/18 to do it, or will my numbers be lost then?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Voltin Bolt posted:

I've got a question about porting numbers; my Sprint contract ends on 2/17 and I just bought two phones from Virgin Mobile which should arrive in the next few days. I've never done this before and I'm really nervous of screwing up the timing and either losing my number(s) or triggering an early cancellation fee :ohdear:

Everything I read seems to give conflicting advice, do I initiate the activation / porting process with my Virgin phones before or after my Sprint contract's expiration date? Not sure if the current plan details matter but I'm on a family/shared 700 right now, my phone having been technically off contract for absolutely ages and just coasting on my husband's contract.

My guess is that if I, for example, received the phones tomorrow I could port my number with no problem (since it's described as "You have no agreement or your agreement with us is complete." when I check account details) but if I tried to port my husband's number tomorrow it would close the account early? ("Your agreement with us, which started on 02/18/12, will be completed on 02/17/13.") Do I wait for 2/18 to do it, or will my numbers be lost then?

The best way to figure this out is to call retentions and go by whatever they tell you. Usually if its this close they just let you switch (especially going to something still under sprint) and if they confirm that then your account is notated as well. Otherwise, your numbers jut go month to month with sprint after the contract ends, so you don't have a deadline to "switch by this time or lose our numbers." Port wise I believe you initiate the port with virgin, but I have never done a port to Virgin mobile so I do not know for sure there.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Duckman2008 posted:

The best way to figure this out is to call retentions and go by whatever they tell you. Usually if its this close they just let you switch (especially going to something still under sprint) and if they confirm that then your account is notated as well. Otherwise, your numbers jut go month to month with sprint after the contract ends, so you don't have a deadline to "switch by this time or lose our numbers." Port wise I believe you initiate the port with virgin, but I have never done a port to Virgin mobile so I do not know for sure there.
When I asked Virgin's live chat about it they said that I initiate with them and that the number to port has to be "active" but I'm not sure what that means exactly (just that I didn't go OKAY SPRINT CLOSE MY poo poo DOWN, or that it has to be on a current contract?? if I just let the contract run out is it like in active limbo after that????)

I wouldn't mind just waiting til Monday to activate the new phones if it means the numbers won't be recycled into sprintspace the day after or whatever. I suppose I'll talk to retentions to be sure, though I'm loath to explain that I'm too poor for their service anymore so can I please just take my numbers and go without it being a Thing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Voltin Bolt posted:

When I asked Virgin's live chat about it they said that I initiate with them and that the number to port has to be "active" but I'm not sure what that means exactly (just that I didn't go OKAY SPRINT CLOSE MY poo poo DOWN, or that it has to be on a current contract?? if I just let the contract run out is it like in active limbo after that????)

I wouldn't mind just waiting til Monday to activate the new phones if it means the numbers won't be recycled into sprintspace the day after or whatever. I suppose I'll talk to retentions to be sure, though I'm loath to explain that I'm too poor for their service anymore so can I please just take my numbers and go without it being a Thing.

Just don't go out of your way to cancel your Sprint service before you talk to VM to port the number. The service with Sprint is automatically cancelled when you port. Running out your contract doesn't do anything to your service, it continues with your existing plan until you cancel or re-up with a new contract.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

sirbeefalot posted:

Just don't go out of your way to cancel your Sprint service before you talk to VM to port the number. The service with Sprint is automatically cancelled when you port. Running out your contract doesn't do anything to your service, it continues with your existing plan until you cancel or re-up with a new contract.
Oh dang, really? I figured if I were to stay on with Sprint I'd have to accept a new contract or something after the current one runs out... I guess it just keeps going indefinitely like my individual number has been, even if all numbers on the account have run the course of their agreements? Then if I port after that there's no penalty because the cancellation is taking place during a time that there's no active agreements going on? That makes things 100% easier if that's the case.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

You're lucky. It's one phone where I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that a large number of them came back with rebooting problems. Add in that Motorola basically treats anything not on Verizon as a second rate phone now a days and you have a product I personally wouldn't recommend.

Yeah, mine did that too, though so did my OG Droid when I was on Verizon (and that took longer to fix). It was a problem with the wifi driver (made perfect sense if you saw the logcat logs)

The patch they released in Nov fixed it and it hasn't been a problem since.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
This may be more me not fully understanding the technology, but do these Network Vision tower upgrades potentially affect building penetration? For example, I get great service where I work, on the 12th floor, but when I go down to the first floor, I barely have any service at all.

If the towers near my work are upgraded, could that improve things in this scenario? Or do the upgrades have more to do with speed and capacity than reception?

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

brc64 posted:

This may be more me not fully understanding the technology, but do these Network Vision tower upgrades potentially affect building penetration? For example, I get great service where I work, on the 12th floor, but when I go down to the first floor, I barely have any service at all.

If the towers near my work are upgraded, could that improve things in this scenario? Or do the upgrades have more to do with speed and capacity than reception?

Speed and capacity at least until Sprint switches over to the 850MHz band instead of the 1900MHz band they currently use for CDMA service.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
My friend's girlfriend had an AirRave and, after she finished up her contract, switched to Verizon. They asked if I wanted it--is there anything I need to do, to make it work for my account?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I believe it occupies one line on your account, so you have to call to set that up.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hi, Hello, How's It Going, Thread?

Been awhile since I've been in here, and since I last posted, I got a Samsung Galaxy S3 in November. It's a heck of an upgrade from my Evo3G. That said, it has some problems. So, Can I get a favor from you guys? Could some of you give me a list of the phone's biggest problems or known issues? I'd ike to know if any of the things going on with my phone are unique to mine, and what to look out for in the future.

Thanks.

Edit to elaborate - has anyone else had these issues:

●Phone losing full charge in ~3 hours

●Phone charging slowly, even still losing charge in some cases, using original S3 Charger

Apologies if this has already come up in the thread, and thanks again.

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 12, 2013

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I haven't had any of those issues with my S3, even in my office where I hop between zero and one bar of service. You'll need to elaborate more on your environment.

ryanbruce posted:

I have a friend who's had an EVO Shift for less than a year and it is slowly going downhill into suckville. Specifically, she's noticing that the microphone is going to hell and it "sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel when I talk".

Is there anything that can/will do for her at the Sprint store or is she at the mercy of HTC?

Ps: Bump for this.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

I haven't had any of those issues with my S3, even in my office where I hop between zero and one bar of service. You'll need to elaborate more on your environment.

Ps: Bump for this.

If se has TEP any sprint tech center will swap it out for the same phone or possibly a like model at no cost. If she doesn't they will still do that, but its $50.

Otherwise, buy something off Craigslist or have fun filing a warranty with HTC.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Doubt she's got TEP, so I guess it's a warranty call to HTC..

I know you're not working there anymore, but do you have an idea of stock levels on the Shift? I'd hate her to get stuck with the same phone if it's a fault of the series not just her phone.

edit: Gave a local location a call.. Shift is decently in stock and if it wasn't would only be swapped out for an EVO4G anyway (isn't that a step backwards?).

Thanks for the info.

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 12, 2013

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Bananana posted:

Hi, Hello, How's It Going, Thread?

Been awhile since I've been in here, and since I last posted, I got a Samsung Galaxy S3 in November. It's a heck of an upgrade from my Evo3G. That said, it has some problems. So, Can I get a favor from you guys? Could some of you give me a list of the phone's biggest problems or known issues? I'd ike to know if any of the things going on with my phone are unique to mine, and what to look out for in the future.

Thanks.

Edit to elaborate - has anyone else had these issues:

●Phone losing full charge in ~3 hours

●Phone charging slowly, even still losing charge in some cases, using original S3 Charger

Apologies if this has already come up in the thread, and thanks again.

Get the "BetterBatteryStats" app, charge the phone fully, then let it discharge for an hour or so without using it. Look under kernel/partial wakelocks and tell us what's at the top of the list.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

amenenema posted:

Get the "BetterBatteryStats" app, charge the phone fully, then let it discharge for an hour or so without using it. Look under kernel/partial wakelocks and tell us what's at the top of the list.
This is definitely useful - my S3 was losing almost 20% of its charge on the 45-minute drive to work. dug through that and the built in battery stuff (not quite as detailed, but some things can stand out) and found it was mostly the GPS's fault, but I also had a couple of apps doing god knows what keeping the phone awake.

Toggling off the GPS and deleting those apps fixed it. It only loses a couple of percent on the drive in now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ryanbruce posted:

Doubt she's got TEP, so I guess it's a warranty call to HTC..

I know you're not working there anymore, but do you have an idea of stock levels on the Shift? I'd hate her to get stuck with the same phone if it's a fault of the series not just her phone.

edit: Gave a local location a call.. Shift is decently in stock and if it wasn't would only be swapped out for an EVO4G anyway (isn't that a step backwards?).

Thanks for the info.

The original Evo is a much better phone.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Duckman2008 posted:

The original Evo is a much better phone.

Good to know. Though that's still relying on the Shift being backordered, which it sounds like it rarely is.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
First, old business:

brc64 posted:

Its complicated because this can depend on downtilt angles, how tall the tower is, etc. But the upgrades will be addressing all of this. The new antenna systems are RRUs, or Remote Radio Units. Instead of piping the signal down a coax cable on the tower, the radio hardware is up on the tower connected directly. This gives a ~20% boost to performance "for free" so it should help extend/improve the signal even on 1900Mhz, across CDMA, EVDO, and LTE.... But if the first floor of the building is in the tower's radio shadow it won't help much.

800 travels a lot farther so if you don't downtilt a lot, then in cities the towers all talk over each other since they are spaced currently for 1900. That also means the 2.5 Ghz won't cover all of the existing 1900 footprint.

decoy octopus posted:

Speed and capacity at least until Sprint switches over to the 850MHz band instead of the 1900MHz band they currently use for CDMA service.

That's not quite accurate; Sprint isn't switching from 1900 to 800 SMR, they are adding 800 SMR. The CDMA Voice 1X on 800 is already going live. There were delays at first for equipment but most of the new tower upgrades are being done with the 1900 antennas and the 800 antennas, and as iDEN is smashed into the minimum number of channels, in most markets that makes enough room for one CDMA voice channel. When iDEN is shut down, the remaining space will be used for a small 3x3 LTE channel. That won't be blazing fast but combined it should be enough to make sure you have at least some data service in previously dead or marginal areas, like inside concrete/steel buildings, etc. In rural areas they can jack up the transmit power and use this to greatly extend coverage.

All the towers will be getting the 800 SMR stuff so the first batch of NV upgraded towers are being re-upgraded, but its a simple addition of the antenna and can be done much faster. That's also true for the 2.5Ghz antennas if/when the Clearwire acquisition goes through. The base stations, etc are all designed to plug in modules for any frequencies they want to support.

The goal is to use 2.5 Ghz in metro areas for data speeds, 1900 for outdoor/some indoor coverage, and 800 for deep indoor and rural extensions.

Now, new business:
Approximately 615 updated sites today in: Atlanta/Athens (102), DFW (92), New York City (81), Houston (63), Washington DC (44), Orange County (41), Riverside/San Bernardino (28), Kansas (14), LA Metro (13), Nashville (12), Philadelphia Metro (12), Baltimore (11), San Diego (11), Delaware (10), East Michigan (8), Alabama (7), Minnesota (7), Las Vegas (6), SF Bay (6), Georgia (5), Norfolk (5), Gulf Coast (4), PR/VI (4), Tampa (4), Charlotte (3), Miami/West Palm (3), South Carolina (3), VT/NH/ME (3), Orlando (2), Upstate NY Central (2), Upstate NY East (2), West Michigan (2), East Texas (1), Jacksonville (1), North LA (1).

jusion
Jan 24, 2007

In some rare Sprint good news, I'm noticing LTE much more frequently in Manhattan out of the blue. A welcome surprise.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
I just got a credit of $200.00 on my account for my deposits back, looks bizarre to see an option of "Pay full amount: $-200.00"

So of course my question is, is there any way I can withdraw that? Or is it basically store credit :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Ender.uNF posted:

Now, new business:
Approximately 615 updated sites today in: Atlanta/Athens (102), DFW (92), New York City (81), Houston (63), Washington DC (44), Orange County (41), Riverside/San Bernardino (28), Kansas (14), LA Metro (13), Nashville (12), Philadelphia Metro (12), Baltimore (11), San Diego (11), Delaware (10), East Michigan (8), Alabama (7), Minnesota (7), Las Vegas (6), SF Bay (6), Georgia (5), Norfolk (5), Gulf Coast (4), PR/VI (4), Tampa (4), Charlotte (3), Miami/West Palm (3), South Carolina (3), VT/NH/ME (3), Orlando (2), Upstate NY Central (2), Upstate NY East (2), West Michigan (2), East Texas (1), Jacksonville (1), North LA (1).

Are these just LTE sites? I saw an old update that had San Diego sites on it, but I'm still running the original Evo.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

1st AD posted:

Are these just LTE sites? I saw an old update that had San Diego sites on it, but I'm still running the original Evo.
They're sites that have received the NV upgrades but may not have LTE yet depending on the situation, such as upgraded backhaul.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Voltin Bolt posted:

I just got a credit of $200.00 on my account for my deposits back, looks bizarre to see an option of "Pay full amount: $-200.00"

So of course my question is, is there any way I can withdraw that? Or is it basically store credit :(

Basically bill credit

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
That sucks, I won't be able to use it at all then.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
If your Sprint account is closed they will refund it.

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Oh drat really? Well then that whips back around to excellent! I could seriously use it right now.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The Optimus G that I've had for all of eight days on a new contract seems to have magically developed a crack all the way across its back panel. I haven't dropped it, smashed it, or thrust it into a pocket in some crazy tight pants, so I'm assuming that's just what happened.

I don't have insurance on the phone, and I'm reading various horror stories of folks being declared SOL when their device suffers "physical damage." I've sent out an email to LG and will call Sprint when daytime rolls around, but does anyone have any tactical suggestions for dealing with this? I haven't had to deal with repairs under warranty before, and I'd like to get through this without having to cough up stupid amounts of money for something that I know isn't my fault.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Insanite posted:

The Optimus G that I've had for all of eight days on a new contract seems to have magically developed a crack all the way across its back panel. I haven't dropped it, smashed it, or thrust it into a pocket in some crazy tight pants, so I'm assuming that's just what happened.

I don't have insurance on the phone, and I'm reading various horror stories of folks being declared SOL when their device suffers "physical damage." I've sent out an email to LG and will call Sprint when daytime rolls around, but does anyone have any tactical suggestions for dealing with this? I haven't had to deal with repairs under warranty before, and I'd like to get through this without having to cough up stupid amounts of money for something that I know isn't my fault.

It's probably the same issue with the Nexus 4 in that it got warm and you set it somewhere cool and it cracked the back. The back of the 4/Optimus G is pretty fragile.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Probably. The language of the warranty seems to not cover this, as the external parts are deemed "free of major defects at the time of shipment." Could've fooled me. I hope I can get this straightened out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Insanite posted:

Probably. The language of the warranty seems to not cover this, as the external parts are deemed "free of major defects at the time of shipment." Could've fooled me. I hope I can get this straightened out.

The only way to really save yourself from this is to get a case or bumper so that the back doesn't directly touch any surface. Even then, you might still run into that problem.

I hope you can get it straightened out. From what I recall from the experiences of others with the Nexus 4, LG will charge around $130+ or so. Or just mail you a refurb.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's probably the same issue with the Nexus 4 in that it got warm and you set it somewhere cool and it cracked the back. The back of the 4/Optimus G is pretty fragile.
I haven't seen this particular issue before, but at our store we've only sold maybe 4 Optimus Gs since they released. We usually try to get people to stay very far away from LG phones (smartphones, at least). They almost always have some horrible problem.

I'm not at work so I don't have the policies on me, but a crack in the housing like that is almost always considered physical damage, and would only be replaced through an insurance claim ($150 deductible on that one). The only exception would be if Sprint decides it's a known issue, which is usually something passed down from the manufacturer. Then as long as there's no other damage, it would be replaced for free.

I haven't seen any notifications about that one, but I'll take a look when I get to work tomorrow and double-check the housing thing.

That said, don't ever buy an LG phone, even if it looks good on paper. Seriously.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thanks. Definitely not digging the LG train.

Well, at least the spontaneous cracking part. I've enjoyed this phone up to this point. :arghfist: The thought of having to pay up to get this rectified because I had the audacity to keep my phone on flat surfaces for a week with maybe a few hours of front pocket transport makes me cranky. Should have just held out for the S4.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 13, 2013

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:
I just bought a new iPhone - should I go with TEP or AppleCare+?

Edit: read the OP and going to go with AppleCare.

oye como va fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Feb 13, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

oye como va posted:

I just bought a new iPhone - should I go with TEP or AppleCare+?

Depends. I prefer Applecare.

50 bucks to replace the drat thing if you smash it or whatever. I prefer Apple ripping apart my apple products to fix/replace them rather than non apple folks. Maybe I'm wrong but thats how I look at it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TVs Ian posted:

I haven't seen this particular issue before, but at our store we've only sold maybe 4 Optimus Gs since they released. We usually try to get people to stay very far away from LG phones (smartphones, at least). They almost always have some horrible problem.

I'm not at work so I don't have the policies on me, but a crack in the housing like that is almost always considered physical damage, and would only be replaced through an insurance claim ($150 deductible on that one). The only exception would be if Sprint decides it's a known issue, which is usually something passed down from the manufacturer. Then as long as there's no other damage, it would be replaced for free.

I haven't seen any notifications about that one, but I'll take a look when I get to work tomorrow and double-check the housing thing.

That said, don't ever buy an LG phone, even if it looks good on paper. Seriously.

It's been documented a lot more with the Nexus 4 than the Optimus G. It'll just shatter when the phone heats up due to the processor and if you set it down on a cool surface like a stone countertop, it'll crack or shatter.

This most notably happened to one of the editors of Droid Life who made a post about it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/11/26/nexus-4s-glass-back-the-worst-idea-since-the-last-phone-with-a-glass-back/

Basically, the back of the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G are like pizza stones. :v:

You're seriously going to want to put a case on the Optimus G if you buy it. Anything to keep the back from touching things while it's warm.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Insanite posted:

What others have said is likely where you are (mostly SOL) but you can at least try to take it to a Sprint tech center. Honestly, I probably wouldn't swap it if the crack covers the whole back, but if you have the time its worth seeing if they will swap it for $50.

If there are spiderwebs don't bother, that always gets denied from my experience.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Insanite posted:

Thanks. Definitely not digging the LG train.

Well, at least the spontaneous cracking part. I've enjoyed this phone up to this point. :arghfist: The thought of having to pay up to get this rectified because I had the audacity to keep my phone on flat surfaces for a week with maybe a few hours of front pocket transport makes me cranky. Should have just held out for the S4.
Okay, just checked the actual policy document, official policy is "two or more cracks" makes a device damaged beyond repair.

Actually GETTING someone to do it if it's one long crack may be difficult. If Sprint decides it's damaged beyond repair when we send it back, they charge us a couple hundred dollars, which will usually come out of the tech's paycheck. So we're kind of paranoid about that sort of thing.

If it's more than one crack (or it's one crack that branches), definitely out of luck.

It's not a known issue with the phone on our end either. It all seems to be software stuff that was fixed in updates (except for the "Apple headsets don't work" issue, which may or may not be fixed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's a clean horizontal crack about a third from the top of the back (a little below the LG logo). It looks the same as those shots ThermoPhysical linked to, just running side to side rather than top to bottom. I'm heading out tomorrow to see what the repair center will tell me; my hopes aren't high. Death to LG.