Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is a good vpn client app?
There are built-in VPN settings in the wireless and network section of your system settings. Do you need something beyond that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin
So with Audogalaxy officially dead, whats the best alternative? Basically, the ability to stream music from my pc to my phone, with all my songs, or at least a high capacity amount. Audiogalaxy wasn't perfect, but granted, it did allow a ton of music.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

What is a good vpn client app?

Also, is there a wiki or anything that lists recommended apps?

If you use a paid VPN service, chances are they use OpenVPN so you might as well just use the OpenVPN android client too.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

pinchet posted:

Quoting my earlier post once because I'm not sure if people just didn't know or if it got skipped. My apologies if the former.

Pocketcasts remembers your position for every file, but it only plays podcasts it downloaded (so it's not a music player that you just can point at any file on your sdcard)

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Dr Blah PhD posted:

So with Audogalaxy officially dead, whats the best alternative? Basically, the ability to stream music from my pc to my phone, with all my songs, or at least a high capacity amount. Audiogalaxy wasn't perfect, but granted, it did allow a ton of music.

Subsonic does audio and video if you have too much music for something like Google music.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So I just realized my phone doesn't have a timer or stopwatch app. Any suggestions on a good free stopwatch app with things like split times?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Doctor Butts posted:

So I just realized my phone doesn't have a timer or stopwatch app. Any suggestions on a good free stopwatch app with things like split times?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.ilumbo.ovo&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsIm9yZy5pbHVtYm8ub3ZvIl0.
Ovo Timer. Although I forget if it can do splits. I just use the one built into JB.

pinchet
Oct 18, 2002

lobstarrrrr!!

Tamba posted:

Pocketcasts remembers your position for every file, but it only plays podcasts it downloaded (so it's not a music player that you just can point at any file on your sdcard)

That's enough to get me to use it, thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gonna throw my two cents in for the Carbon Backup app.

At first, I really didn't want to pay for the app because apparently having the drivers for the Nexus 4 makes it so your computer can't see them for simple drag and drop stuff. So I decided to just ignore it.

Come last night, I wanted to clear some clutter left over from previous apps but there was FAR too much to go one by one so I just decided to do a factory reset (16GB may not seem like a lot, but it's a lot when you have to do something one by one by one...).

So, I decided to give the Carbon Backup app a try. I installed the drivers on my laptop instead of my desktop and reactivated the app (why does it need activation via a computer if you're only able to backup via cloud or USB?). I backed up pretty much every app, did my factory reset, resintalled the apps I wanted, bought the Premium version, then restored their data.

Everything went without a hitch. This would not be true for Google's default cloud backup thing. The last time I tried that, nothing really backed up all the way.

For what it's worth, I think Carbon backup is a much better and much more useful app than Carbon Twitter. :v:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is there some kind of repository of old Google Play/Market apps that might be discontinued? To be sure, I am referring to the free ones, free apps that no longer appear in the google play store.

I've found all kind of APK website which are either a.)bullshit trying to get you to download some "app manager" exe which is probably malware or b.) link you directly to the play store, therefore negating any chance of getting an old, discontinued app.

I am desperately searching for an app I thought I would be able to re-download.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I don't suppose anyone here has a copy of it, Comrex ARC? Its a very specific app for one only one purpose and only interfaces with one device but boy is it important.

Teflon Bob
Feb 2, 2004

Wipes down easy!

Doctor Butts posted:

I like Timer. They all pretty much do the same thing though. Just be sure to get an app that doesn't wakelock and rape your battery.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.opoloo.holotimer

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Gozinbulx posted:

Also I don't suppose anyone here has a copy of it, Comrex ARC? Its a very specific app for one only one purpose and only interfaces with one device but boy is it important.

You might want to call Comrex and see if they might be able to hook you up. I'll ask one of the engineers at the office if that's the app they use, see if I can finagle it for you.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Dr Blah PhD posted:

Subsonic from what I've read, but you gotta upload your stuff. I am personally not gonna upload 600 gb of stuff.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Weaponized Cum posted:

Subsonic from what I've read, but you gotta upload your stuff. I am personally not gonna upload 600 gb of stuff.

No, Subsonic turns your PC into the server. No need to upload to anywhere.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

BoyBlunder posted:

No, Subsonic turns your PC into the server. No need to upload to anywhere.

Oh word? Then I'm gonna go home and try it out. I had read in many places that it acted like Google/Amazon music and was disillusioned, I even bought Spotify premium!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

MrC posted:

You might want to call Comrex and see if they might be able to hook you up. I'll ask one of the engineers at the office if that's the app they use, see if I can finagle it for you.

Holy poo poo you're a life saver. I appreciate this so much.

Guess you work in radio huh?

Thank you so much.

Edit: Just talked to comrex and they emailed me the apk within 5 minutes! I have it here too if you (or anyone else) wants it.

Thank you for trying though, I really appreciate it.

Gozinbulx fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 12, 2013

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
Is there an SMS app smart enough to fix all the out of order split messages I get? It is really irritating to get messages in DBAC order rather than ABCD. It seems like all the cell companies responses are "sorry, SMS isn't designed for long messages" but it's not my choice of protocol, but that's what we're stuck with.

I'm on Sprint and the problem comes with people out of network (from Verizon, basically), and it's ALWAYS out of order.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://code.google.com/p/dashclock/

This app is just the best lockscreen widget I've ever seen. It was created by Android Engineer Roman Nurik. It's open source, it has an API to allow others to contribute and make their own apps work with it, it's even full Holo style.

I seriously love it and will never remove it from my phone. Android 5.0 needs to have this as the default clock app. No more weird clock.

Oh, speaking of weird clock. If you want, even with this app, you can get that weird clock style that 4.2 introduced. I don't know why you would want this, but you can.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/1...important-info/

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

This is nice, thanks. Really improves the look of the 4.2 lockscreen while maintaining a stock feel.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh, speaking of weird clock. If you want, even with this app, you can get that weird clock style that 4.2 introduced. I don't know why you would want this, but you can.
You actually can't quite, for some reason the 4.2-style one has the colon missing which looks dumb. It's the main reason I'm not using it (I really like that look) but I left it installed to see what extensions get added. It also needs a bit of work on the resizing code when used as a launcher widget.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Tunga posted:

You actually can't quite, for some reason the 4.2-style one has the colon missing which looks dumb.
Hey now, these folks had missing colons and they didn't look too dumb :mad:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

:golfclap:

I don't even know where you pulled that link from, but that was clever.

And now!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/12/pokmon-tv-arrives-on-android-streams-a-rotating-selection-of-episodes-for-free/

Pokemon TV is now on iOS and Android! Free Pokemon episodes for all! I think it streams so unfortunately, you probably don't want to watch em on mobile if your plan is limited but eh. It's free Pokemon episodes in a legal way on your phone and/or tablet.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Gozinbulx posted:

Holy poo poo you're a life saver. I appreciate this so much.

Guess you work in radio huh?

Thank you so much.

Edit: Just talked to comrex and they emailed me the apk within 5 minutes! I have it here too if you (or anyone else) wants it.

Thank you for trying though, I really appreciate it.

If you've got it, I will definitely take it.

Yeah, I work in radio. I remember one of the engineers showing me the app once, but promptly forgot about it. When I asked him about it today, he didn't have it anymore, they all switched to iPhones.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is there an app that will allow me to put a pin/pattern/whatever lock on my phone, but only when I use the widget/whatever to lock it? I want to be able to hit the power button and use my normal lockscreen (slider) but use the app to actually put a lock on it.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I got this fancypants new router with a usb port that lets me plug in a drive and share it on the network. I have it set up as a media server, and I can see everything fine through windows media player on my desktop, but no dice on my tablet or phone. Is there an app that can do this? I tried emit that's in the op but it doesn't see anything.

If it makes any difference it's a tp link TL-WR1043ND

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Feb 13, 2013

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

ES file explorer I htink lets you connect to a networked drive.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Capt. Morgan posted:

ES file explorer I htink lets you connect to a networked drive.

It sounds more like he's talking about DLNA, but yes ES File Explorer will connect to a Windows network folder (e.g. \\computerName\sharedFolderName).

If it is DLNA which is required (i.e. the files are showing up in a library in WMP rather than you browsing to a network folder to find them) then you'll need an Android DLNA client, which I can't help you with as I have no need for one but someone in this thread can probably recommend one.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Ah ok, I just had no idea what I needed to be searching for. I installed upnplay which seems to do what I want, but it's kind of confusing to navigate, is not a fan of some video file formats like mp4, and really buggy and keeps crashing on me. Anyone have a recommendation?

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 13, 2013

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
We'd had a few Twitter and Facebook clients mentioned here, but I'm looking for ones with a few specific features:

* Twitter: I'd really like to be able to kill particular hashtags. I follow a bunch of colleagues who go to conferences and then fill their twitter-stream with "the coffee is really bad" / "I'm in the upper hall, where are you" / "hey lets hit that cool bar after this talk".

* I've gotten annoyed at the official Facebook client pushing ads in my face and repeatedly asking if I want it to search my address book so "I can find other friends". But I'm an active member of several Facebook groups and some of the clients I've looked at seem to either ignore groups or handle them poorly.

Options?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

MrC posted:

If you've got it, I will definitely take it.

Yeah, I work in radio. I remember one of the engineers showing me the app once, but promptly forgot about it. When I asked him about it today, he didn't have it anymore, they all switched to iPhones.

Sorry to get back to you so late.

Here ya go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/57tmn0xnot9m5zd/ComrexArc_1.35.apk

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Can anyone recommend a good Juicedefender alternative? I've been finding that it is increasingly becoming less and less reliable with CM10.1.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Thanks to this thread, I finally purchased Cerberus. For some reason, I thought it was more expensive, like $20 or something.

But $4 for lifetime service on five devices? SOLD! I'll just buy one less beer this weekend!*

*No I won't :ssh:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Long Francesco posted:

Ah ok, I just had no idea what I needed to be searching for. I installed upnplay which seems to do what I want, but it's kind of confusing to navigate, is not a fan of some video file formats like mp4, and really buggy and keeps crashing on me. Anyone have a recommendation?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Just made a switch from iOS and got SGS3. I'm slowly grabbing apps that I will need/had on my old phone, but one thing I'm looking for now is a solid exchange mail app. Is the stock one good or is there something else better out there I should look for?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is the GMail app the stock one on the SGS3? I remember when I had the original Galaxy S, Samsung stuck their own email app on there ant it was terrible.

But if it has the GMail app, then yeah, that one's fine, though I think a lot of people also like K-9 Mail.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/13/google-has-effectively-killed-adblock-plus-in-android-4-2-2/

Looks like a change in how Android uses proxies in 4.2.2 has effectively killed AdBlock Plus for anyone using the new update.

However, this only affects GSM Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 (and eventually the Nexus 4) so it's not a huge problem as there's a work around (http://adblockplus.org/en/android-config-samsung-galaxy-s3) and there's time for the devs to make it work before more phones get 4.2.2 (quite a few months of time :v:)

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

Just made a switch from iOS and got SGS3. I'm slowly grabbing apps that I will need/had on my old phone, but one thing I'm looking for now is a solid exchange mail app. Is the stock one good or is there something else better out there I should look for?

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is the GMail app the stock one on the SGS3? I remember when I had the original Galaxy S, Samsung stuck their own email app on there ant it was terrible.

But if it has the GMail app, then yeah, that one's fine, though I think a lot of people also like K-9 Mail.

The GMail app only connects to - wait for it - GMail accounts. The Android email app connects to everything else (POP, IMAP, Exchange). Touchdown is also fairly popular for Exchange.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

You actually can't quite, for some reason the 4.2-style one has the colon missing which looks dumb. It's the main reason I'm not using it (I really like that look) but I left it installed to see what extensions get added. It also needs a bit of work on the resizing code when used as a launcher widget.

There's an update to the app just released today. It adds the color back into the time so that it looks exactly like the default 4.2.2 clock. I think people asked for it because the changelog specifically states this is the only reason it's there.

Also, there's a Google Search update so that the Google Now widget from 4.2.2 is now in 4.2 - 4.2.1.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's an update to the app just released today. It adds the color back into the time so that it looks exactly like the default 4.2.2 clock. I think people asked for it because the changelog specifically states this is the only reason it's there.
Hoo:ray!

(Thanks, going to try it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

i barely GNU her! posted:

The GMail app only connects to - wait for it - GMail accounts. The Android email app connects to everything else (POP, IMAP, Exchange). Touchdown is also fairly popular for Exchange.

Is there something that's a little uhhh...free-er than Touchdown? $20 is a bit steep

• Locked thread