Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I seem to remember Sean Hannity volounteering to be water boarded a few years back. Wonder whatever became of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

BiggerBoat posted:

I seem to remember Sean Hannity volounteering to be water boarded a few years back. Wonder whatever became of that.

Never happened of course.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
It's funny, when people like Mancow and Hitchens actually get waterboarded they seem to think it's a bad thing. drat shame that they're perfectly alright with the rest of the terrible things.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

He's offered to do it a few times but always backs out because, you know, he's a slimeball.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LP97S posted:

It's funny, when people like Mancow and Hitchens actually get waterboarded they seem to think it's a bad thing. drat shame that they're perfectly alright with the rest of the terrible things.

The actor Richard Armitage got himself waterboarded for his role in Spooks. As Wikipedia says

quote:

He agreed to perform the sequence after he was convinced by consultants for the FSB and CIA. Armitage was only subjected to it for a short time, and was filmed in slow motion to make it appear he was on for longer. The ambient temperature of the room was also raised to make him as comfortable as possible. However, after the sequence was shot, Armitage changed his opinion entirely, stating; "I only lasted five to ten seconds, and the sound of my voice crying out to stop isn't me acting."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I think if Rick Perry had survived the primary he could have easily won the election. People say he would have been weak to Bush comparisons, but I really think people overestimate how lasting and pervasive Bush's unpopularity is. I think his lack of exposure since he left office has more to do with him not wanting the exposure than him being sequestered away by the party. I could see Bush comparisons being a favorable thing in maybe one or two more elections.
Perry isn't even particularly well liked in Texas. The man has even fewer convictions than Romney and is actually pretty dumb. Not in a shucks-golly fake way like Bush II either, he's a posterboy for the corrupt halfbright good ol' boy archetype.

He couldn't even run on his record because it includes things like making the HPV vaccine mandatory.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Seoinin posted:

Perry isn't even particularly well liked in Texas. The man has even fewer convictions than Romney and is actually pretty dumb. Not in a shucks-golly fake way like Bush II either, he's a posterboy for the corrupt halfbright good ol' boy archetype.

He couldn't even run on his record because it includes things like making the HPV vaccine mandatory.

But he seems like "someone you could have a beer with" and he's the right denomination of Christian, which I honestly think matter to people more than anything like perceived intelligence or policy. And Romney's entire record was state-level Obamacare, so I don't see how Perry's could have been any more injurious. I mean, Obama won in an electoral landslide, but a couple of those swing states were really close. I could be wrong and extrapolating my own personal experiences too broadly, but I really think a candidate with fewer strikes against them could have beat Obama given how close the candidate who was trashed constantly for a good six months by right-wing media came with his absolutely abysmal campaign.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
All you really need to know about Rick Perry is that in an ad where he attempts to connect with the average workin' man, he lopes geekily through a field wearing spotless Carhartts. He's not disconnected in a Romney way so much as a Forrest Gump way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty much everyone in Texas hates Rick Perry, but he's got a stranglehold around the state GOP machine, has literally appointed every single appointment position in the state and is a brutal state-level campaigner. There isn't anyone on the GOP side that is willing to challenge him in a primary and no matter how much Texas republicans hate Perry they would never ever vote for someone with a 'D' after their name. He'll be governor as long as he wants to be, and if you listen to a single speech he's given since the election he's a mortal lock to run for the GOP presidential nomination in 2016. His entire platform is so blatantly pandering to right-wing primary voters it embarrasses me for him.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

But he seems like "someone you could have a beer with" and he's the right denomination of Christian, which I honestly think matter to people more than anything like perceived intelligence or policy. And Romney's entire record was state-level Obamacare, so I don't see how Perry's could have been any more injurious. I mean, Obama won in an electoral landslide, but a couple of those swing states were really close. I could be wrong and extrapolating my own personal experiences too broadly, but I really think a candidate with fewer strikes against them could have beat Obama given how close the candidate who was trashed constantly for a good six months by right-wing media came with his absolutely abysmal campaign.

All this idea of Rick Perry being a formidable candidate for President made sense right up until he made it clear he's a no-brain rear end on the semi-big stage of the GOP primary, against a fairly weak field, with a GOP voter base that desperately wanted a non-Mormon, non-Romney candidate to support. He started out the gate as a front runner and then fell to zero as it became clear even to a GOP electorate that would have LOVED to support him that he was an idiot who couldn't put together a coherent sentence and not a credible candidate for President.

So if you're just starting from the premise of how everyone saw Rick Perry right before he jumped into the 2012 race, I'd agree with you, based on his superficial characteristics, religion, good looks, position as Texas governor etc., but where do you come off promoting this idea now? Everything is different.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

zoux posted:

Pretty much everyone in Texas hates Rick Perry, but he's got a stranglehold around the state GOP machine, has literally appointed every single appointment position in the state and is a brutal state-level campaigner. There isn't anyone on the GOP side that is willing to challenge him in a primary and no matter how much Texas republicans hate Perry they would never ever vote for someone with a 'D' after their name. He'll be governor as long as he wants to be, and if you listen to a single speech he's given since the election he's a mortal lock to run for the GOP presidential nomination in 2016. His entire platform is so blatantly pandering to right-wing primary voters it embarrasses me for him.

But he's a cowboy, isn't he? I mean, he wouldn't be putting on boots and a hat just for show, would he?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Hermetic posted:

Speaking as someone who's lived through an Obama vs. Keyes election, they are, in fact, HILARIOUS.

The only thing funnier than the election its self was listening to the probably Freeper I worked with (called CNN the Communist News Network, and refused to look up news on any site other than foxnews.com) assert that Keyes was totally the best man for the job and he was going to crush Obama.

A friend got some unpleasant secret service attention back in '96 when his brother threatened Keyes' life (in a trolling fashion, not serious) on usenet. The preceding posts where he claimed, among other things, that Keyes was made of 100% USDA ground beef and had once raped him in a Cleveland hotel room were hilarious though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Ahahaha. Senator Marc Rubio, prophesied savior of the Republican Party, voted no on the extension of the Violence Against Women Act yesterday. Tonight he's going to be giving the GOP's rebuttal to Obama's State of the Union speech. Things sure are changing with the the Grand Old Party!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Crasscrab posted:

Ahahaha. Senator Marc Rubio, prophesied savior of the Republican Party, voted no on the extension of the Violence Against Women Act yesterday. Tonight he's going to be giving the GOP's rebuttal to Obama's State of the Union speech. Things sure are changing with the the Grand Old Party!
That shouldn't really be a surprise. The infamous Blunt Amendment was as much the Rubio Amendment.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Say hello to Julie Borowski, a minor Youtube "celebrity" who just landed a job at FreedomWorks. She's already had her blog there quoted by TPM, so expect to see her making the rounds on shitshows like The Cycle and RedEye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nASPjBVQkQk

Her Youtube channel contains every obnoxious two minute Libertarian screed you overheard in the student union.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 13, 2013

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Typical Pubbie posted:

Say hello to Julie Borowski, a minor Youtube "celebrity" who just landed a job at FreedomWorks. She's already had her blog there quoted by TPM, so expect to see her making the rounds on shitshows like The Cycle and RedEye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nASPjBVQkQk

Her Youtube channel contains every obnoxious two minute Libertarian screed you overheard in the student union.

TokenLibertarianGirl posted:

"Pop culture tells women that it's normal, trendy and good to be a liberal. Take these popular women's magazines full of liberal propaganda. All in the front on big font they always say 'sex', 'butts' and 'orgasm's'...pretty inappropriate stuff on full display at the check out line...and the craziest thing is that these magazine's have ridiculously expensive products that only a trophy wife or banker could afford!"

Hey, welcome to the free loving market. Jesus Christ, these people are immune to irony.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
And here I was thinking libertarianism was a total sausagefest for much the same reason most of the women at sci-fi conventions are paid to be there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Serious question, why do libertarians constantly get angry about private companies when they want them to rule everything? There's no joke there, I legitimately don't get it why nearly every libertarian voice gets angry when a company does something they don't like when they tell everyone else to just suck it up.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sex and orgasms are dirty liberal concepts. :byodame:

Also, learn how to use apostrophes, drat.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Serious question, why do libertarians constantly get angry about private companies when they want them to rule everything? There's no joke there, I legitimately don't get it why nearly every libertarian voice gets angry when a company does something they don't like when they tell everyone else to just suck it up.

tek79 posted:

Jesus Christ, these people are immune to irony.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

watt par posted:

And here I was thinking libertarianism was a total sausagefest for much the same reason most of the women at sci-fi conventions are paid to be there.

I was gonna say libertarianism was a total sausagefest for much the same reason most mass shootings are committed by young men.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tek79 posted:

I was gonna say libertarianism was a total sausagefest for much the same reason most mass shootings are committed by young men.

It's because the old rich men have all the women, right? :)

oh snap
Apr 17, 2003
Does the headline of this video seem a bit off to anyone else?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2152197497001/latina-apologizes-for-flipping-off-judge-/

Her name is not "Latina" by the way.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

tek79 posted:

Let's be honest in this case the two overlap really well

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I've been seeing a bunch of crap about various government agencies stockpiling massive amounts of ammo. Is this really a thing? I mean is it a legitimate concern- I don't know anything about the historical purchasing habits of different government agencies..

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Listerine posted:

I've been seeing a bunch of crap about various government agencies stockpiling massive amounts of ammo. Is this really a thing? I mean is it a legitimate concern- I don't know anything about the historical purchasing habits of different government agencies..

The government is always stockpiling massive amounts of ammo. Mostly it's a way to provide pork barrel spending.

I think it usually ends up being auctioned off after they hold it for a certain period of time.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

The government is always stockpiling massive amounts of ammo. Mostly it's a way to provide pork barrel spending.

I think it usually ends up being auctioned off after they hold it for a certain period of time.

I hear the government is buying more F-35s and a new supercarrier. Conspiracy, maybe? :shrug:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So who else is excited for the sentence by sentence dissection of the SotU tomorrow on talk radio? Anyone? No? Okay.

Zwabu posted:

So if you're just starting from the premise of how everyone saw Rick Perry right before he jumped into the 2012 race, I'd agree with you, based on his superficial characteristics, religion, good looks, position as Texas governor etc., but where do you come off promoting this idea now? Everything is different.

Your mistake is assuming that the majority ever stopped basing their opinions off of the superficial characteristics just because people who actually follow politics saw what a big idiot he was. As I said, I personally know several people that said almost verbatim "I agree with all of Romney's policies, but I just don't trust him (because he's a Mormon/conspicuous millionaire)."

I would love to believe that the average American voter is not only better than marginally misinformed but actually knows about individual candidates and follows the electoral process from primary to election day, but I have seen nothing to suggest that this is even remotely the case and so I think basing opinions of Perry on what we know as political junkies is mostly irrelevant with regards to how electable he is on a national level. I'm sure before Bush Jr's two terms there were people who never thought he could be a national candidate.

tek79 posted:

Why are there so few female libertarians? video

Because most libertarians are mouthbreather nice guys who think the difference between rape and consensual sex is whether a woman can say "no" for longer than it takes them to get tired of making unwanted advances. Weird how people who believe in the just world fallacy and people who think women owe them sex if they treat them like human beings have so much overlap.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So who else is excited for the sentence by sentence dissection of the SotU tomorrow on talk radio? Anyone? No? Okay.

Your mistake is assuming that the majority ever stopped basing their opinions off of the superficial characteristics just because people who actually follow politics saw what a big idiot he was. As I said, I personally know several people that said almost verbatim "I agree with all of Romney's policies, but I just don't trust him (because he's a Mormon/conspicuous millionaire)."

I would love to believe that the average American voter is not only better than marginally misinformed but actually knows about individual candidates and follows the electoral process from primary to election day, but I have seen nothing to suggest that this is even remotely the case and so I think basing opinions of Perry on what we know as political junkies is mostly irrelevant with regards to how electable he is on a national level. I'm sure before Bush Jr's two terms there were people who never thought he could be a national candidate.

I'm still not getting your point. Republican primary voters aren't just "political junkies". This is the conservative group among which Perry should have the greatest appeal and support, and he failed miserably against a weak candidate like Romney. It's no longer fair to make the charge that only political junkies know Perry.

If he failed that badly among GOP voters, how do you think he will fare in a general election? It's not like his Texas Christian-ness is going to be EVEN MORE popular among general voters than among GOPers. The guy hinted at lynching people, came right out and attacked gay people in his ads, and was basically just a stupid redneck that GOP voters didn't even want to vote for. If that message fails among GOP primary voters who cheer on uninsured people dying and boo gay soldiers, he has no prayer among a general electorate. He loving sucks, and it's just a statement on just how far cronyism and the GOP brand name goes in Texas that he was able to be elected multiple terms without being widely exposed to be an idiot like he was in the GOP primary.

He couldn't beat Romney or even come close. Mitt Romney. Are you saying he's going to face an even weaker field in 2016 and win? I doubt it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

They have an irrational 'purity' approach to the free market - just like everything else

ButtonJ posted:

Oh, I agree. The problem is, big business likes big government, and big government likes big business. Big business uses big government to protect itself from competition, and big government uses big business to fund itself.

But when you advocate for bigger government, you are necessarily advocating for big business.

'KILL THE GOVERNMENT' - AnarchoCapitalism

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

tek79 posted:

"Pop culture tells women that it's normal, trendy and good to be a liberal. Take these popular women's magazines full of liberal propaganda. All in the front on big font they always say 'sex', 'butts' and 'orgasm's'...pretty inappropriate stuff on full display at the check out line...and the craziest thing is that these magazine's have ridiculously expensive products that only a trophy wife or banker could afford!"

"Butts" is inappropriate? What is she, eight years old? Whoa bias alert, I found a thing in the NYT Review of Books where they use the word "titular". Hehehemmnheh, hey Butthead you said...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I could see 'The Handmaid's Tale' becoming a reality under a President Allen West or Sarah Palin.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zwabu posted:

I'm still not getting your point. Republican primary voters aren't just "political junkies". This is the conservative group among which Perry should have the greatest appeal and support, and he failed miserably against a weak candidate like Romney. It's no longer fair to make the charge that only political junkies know Perry.

If he failed that badly among GOP voters, how do you think he will fare in a general election? It's not like his Texas Christian-ness is going to be EVEN MORE popular among general voters than among GOPers. The guy hinted at lynching people, came right out and attacked gay people in his ads, and was basically just a stupid redneck that GOP voters didn't even want to vote for. If that message fails among GOP primary voters who cheer on uninsured people dying and boo gay soldiers, he has no prayer among a general electorate. He loving sucks, and it's just a statement on just how far cronyism and the GOP brand name goes in Texas that he was able to be elected multiple terms without being widely exposed to be an idiot like he was in the GOP primary.

He couldn't beat Romney or even come close. Mitt Romney. Are you saying he's going to face an even weaker field in 2016 and win? I doubt it.

Conservatives vote for whoever right wing media tells them to vote for. When Herman Cain was hyped in the media, he was the frontrunner. When Romney was hyped in the media, he somehow went from the conservative whipping boy to the frontrunner. All Perry needs is to be Roger Aile's preferred candidate and then he too can be the frontrunner. Do you honestly think Romney was chosen on his own merits and not because of an information blitzkrieg begun by party leadership/media baron collusion? How do you think people like Limbaugh and Hannity went from absolutely trashing Romney to adamantly backing him as the only person who could stop Obama in a six month window? To one of his main campaign platforms being the prompt dissolution of Obamacare when it was based on a system he pioneered? Do you think these pundits all had a spontaneous change of heart or do you think they were told what to say and when to say it?

Maybe I'm too :tinfoil: about conservative media, but I think most of us would have a hard time saying there's no connection. They're terrible at voter outreach, but they're really, really good at disseminating whatever message they want to as widely as possible. Isn't half of this thread people talking about how the same talking points are repeated almost verbatim through the right wing media circuit and then further by the people who unironically listen to that media?

You're saying Perry couldn't win because he's not a strong enough candidate and I'm saying the strong enough candidate is whichever candidate the conservative machine props up. What did Romney have that the other candidates didn't have? He looked presidential and... Romney had three strikes against him that hurt his chances with their base, his religion, his explicit wealth, and the fact that he created the foundation for Obamacare, and he barely lost in multiple swing states. I think if they had picked a candidate who could pull off the "working man" bullshit like Bush Jr. or who was the right kind of Christian like Santorum, then they probably could have won. You obviously disagree, but I think you are giving the average voter far, far too much credit. I also think Obama beat McCain because his campaign marketed him better, not because anyone on a large scale thought he was more qualified or had better ideas. I'd be amazed if most primary voters could even name all of the nominees off the top of their head, in either party's case.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 13, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

McDowell posted:

I could see 'The Handmaid's Tale' becoming a reality under a President Allen West or Sarah Palin.

I thought that was what would happen if the Religious Right did gain control of the world? That is a world when the big preachers from the 80s did gain complete power.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that was what would happen if the Religious Right did gain control of the world? That is a world when the big preachers from the 80s did gain complete power.

Something really bad would happen and the Right Wing Media would declare it to be 'God's wrath on homosexuality'.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Conservatives vote for whoever right wing media tells them to vote for. When Herman Cain was hyped in the media, he was the frontrunner. When Romney was hyped in the media, he somehow went from their conservative whipping boy to the frontrunner. All Perry needs is to be Roger Aile's preferred candidate and then he too can be the frontrunner.

This isn't actually true, though. Romney was always the frontrunner and even in the handful of states where he didn't finish first, he came in second. Cain never came close to winning poo poo no matter how hard the right wing media tried to make it happen. Even with the 24/7 "anybody but Romney!" mantra blasting from every radio, he still kept winning primaries. They hyped every other primary contender that wasn't named Huntsman to the moon and voters didn't care. Right wing media is powerful, but it doesnt have omnipotent control of the electorate.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

800peepee51doodoo posted:

This isn't actually true, though. Romney was always the frontrunner and even in the handful of states where he didn't finish first, he came in second. Cain never came close to winning poo poo no matter how hard the right wing media tried to make it happen. Even with the 24/7 "anybody but Romney!" mantra blasting from every radio, he still kept winning primaries. They hyped every other primary contender that wasn't named Huntsman to the moon and voters didn't care. Right wing media is powerful, but it doesnt have omnipotent control of the electorate.

Yea, people are confusing polls with votes. You can find polls that say any random rear end in a top hat should be president. I'm pretty sure I can make a poll that shows a bunch of people think my dog should be president, it never makes him the frontrunner. Romney was always winning or getting the silver.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Oddly enough, I seem to remember Rush Limbaugh railing against polls back during the Bush administration because he always cited such public opinion polls were completely misleading because the questions were always along the lines of, "Would you vote for Bush in 2004?", to which his reply was that unless people are given a specific candidate they would internally vote their personal fantasy favorites in the poll rather than realistic or specific candidates.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

JediTalentAgent posted:

Oddly enough, I seem to remember Rush Limbaugh railing against polls back during the Bush administration because he always cited such public opinion polls were completely misleading because the questions were always along the lines of, "Would you vote for Bush in 2004?", to which his reply was that unless people are given a specific candidate they would internally vote their personal fantasy favorites in the poll rather than realistic or specific candidates.

It's flashes of nuance like this that assure me Limbaugh knows exactly what sort of bullshit he's peddling, and nobody can convince me otherwise.

Rush's thesis today was that Obama has succeeded in preventing people from connecting him to the act of governing, thus insulating him from antipathy toward government. (Before you ask, Stalin, Castro, and :godwin: were all duly cited in compliance with the GOP Windbag Act of 1954.)

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to sign up for LifeLockTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
LAWRENCE O'Donnel was on fire today, slamming the NRA for its "enemies list" being a racist hate-group screed.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/02/14/odonnell-rewrites-long-list-of-groups-on-nras-enemies-list/

The NRA has recently scrubbed its 'enemies list' from its own website after getting a ton of flak.

It's nice to see the NRA being called out for being racist as all hell.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 14, 2013