Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

Ezrem posted:

I'd really like to know how that works. I have said obvious things like "read me my text messages" but nothing seems to get me anywhere.

iRealSMS is pretty nice, as a message comes in it says "New message from Ezrem. Shall I read?" If you say yes, it reads. If no, it shuts up.

I find the text reading annoying, except for occasionally in the car. Almost always leave that off. That being said, it has always worked when enabled.

iRealSMS was consistently buggy for me on iOS 5, but it's been like butter so far on 6.

Mastodon Henley fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Is there any word on a FolderIcons update/replacement?

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Do you guys know of a package that will change the signal and Wi-Fi bars color to reflect the signal strength?

I've tried several of them from Cydia. Most don't work with a 4S on 6.1.

The packages that do work are either multicolored, or change the shapes of the bars.

I want one that uses a single color for each strength, that keeps the default signal and wifi bar shapes.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

shootforit posted:

Do you guys know of a package that will change the signal and Wi-Fi bars color to reflect the signal strength?

I've tried several of them from Cydia. Most don't work with a 4S on 6.1.

The packages that do work are either multicolored, or change the shapes of the bars.

I want one that uses a single color for each strength, that keeps the default signal and wifi bar shapes.

I got nothing for the color coding, which I think is a cute idea, but the package Bars works on your cellular signal and gives more detail. For example, if you have two and 1/2 bars, normally you'll see only the two bars, but with this package installed you'll actually see 2 then one half the 3rd bar will be filled up, it's kinda neat.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

basmati posted:

I find the text reading annoying, except for occasionally in the car. Almost always leave that off. That being said, it has always worked when enabled.

You don't have to enable anything. Just say "read last message" or whatever when siri is active and it will read your new message(s).

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

decypher posted:

I got nothing for the color coding, which I think is a cute idea, but the package Bars works on your cellular signal and gives more detail. For example, if you have two and 1/2 bars, normally you'll see only the two bars, but with this package installed you'll actually see 2 then one half the 3rd bar will be filled up, it's kinda neat.

Now I want the colors thing, along with the super accurate reading. I'll be installing Bars until another comes along. Thanks!

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

decypher posted:

Thanks for bringing this up, I totally forgot about Bars since my last JB.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

cornface posted:

You don't have to enable anything. Just say "read last message" or whatever when siri is active and it will read your new message(s).

Yeah despite it trying to be on by default upon install, you can explicitly turn it off in settings. And I do. iPhone 4, fwiw.

rikatix
Aug 24, 2010
So Backgrounder just doesn't work, sends the phone to safe mode. Is there anything around that basically does the same thing as Backgrounder?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Does Autoprotect actually work for anyone? I'm on an iPhone 5 with 6.1 and it basically does... Nothing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

rikatix posted:

So Backgrounder just doesn't work, sends the phone to safe mode. Is there anything around that basically does the same thing as Backgrounder?

What's the point of having this? Honestly curious.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Christoff posted:

What's the point of having this? Honestly curious.

Because iOS doesn't actually do multitasking without it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

An update to DeskSMS has been submitted.

I've been waiting for this, MightyText is pretty much the only thing I'm currently missing about Android.

e: Apparently it's up! BigBoss repo.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 13, 2013

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

the milk machine posted:

Does Autoprotect actually work for anyone? I'm on an iPhone 5 with 6.1 and it basically does... Nothing.

Are you using 'AutoProtect for iOS 6'?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Fallom posted:

Because iOS doesn't actually do multitasking without it.
What sort of multitasking?

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Is there a way to stop birthdays from showing up under Calendar in the Notification Center without disabling Facebook integration?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

bigis posted:

Is there a way to stop birthdays from showing up under Calendar in the Notification Center without disabling Facebook integration?

Select Calendars in the upper left corner of the Calendar app and uncheck Birthdays is all you need to do I think, unless Facebook is more involved somehow.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wario In Real Life posted:

What sort of multitasking?

The kind where two programs run at once without one going inactive after a few minutes or freezing its state. For example, a 3rd party alarm app that you want to run all night without leaving the screen on or a podcast app that can update on a schedule but only when in the foreground.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

adm posted:

Select Calendars in the upper left corner of the Calendar app and uncheck Birthdays is all you need to do I think, unless Facebook is more involved somehow.

I've done this and it removes the birthdays from the Calendar app, but they still show in the Notification Center.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

bigis posted:

I've done this and it removes the birthdays from the Calendar app, but they still show in the Notification Center.

Apparently if you turn off Contact Syncing in the FB settings it will remove them from the Notification Center. Then turn it on again later when you want to sync, and turn it off again. Side effect is you won't have a full list of FB contacts in your phone.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

rikatix posted:

I have found that Backgrounder is the main tweak that I find difficult not having on 6.1.

I've searched around for a replacement but nothing comes close. What's worse is the the developer stopped updating the app back in the 4.x days. Miracle it even worked on 5.x

ippon
Nov 16, 2012

Tedronai66 posted:

Is there a way for tapping the statusbar icon for biteSMS to NOT bring up quick reply, but instead just launch the app?

God drat I hate that about biteSMS too and would like to know if anyone has any ideas

e: woops, I mean in the lockscreen

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

ippon posted:

God drat I hate that about biteSMS too and would like to know if anyone has any ideas

e: woops, I mean in the lockscreen

I thought it was maybe an Activator option after failing to find any relevant setting in BiteSMS, but I don't even have that package installed. :iiam:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

the milk machine posted:

I couldn't get Autoprotect for iOS 6 to work for me so I just paid for CleverPin. I'm impatient though.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
My iphone has been restoring from icloud backup for over a week now, it says, I have no idea what its still restoring as it seems like everything is there, but it pops up a message every day, and won't back up since its still restoring. Anyone know whats going on?

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can anyone link me to the wee database of apps that are and aren't compatible with ios6 when jailbroken?

I mean jailbroken apps, not Apple Apps.

edit: of course, it's in the OP. And here - http://cydiahelp.com/ios-5-compatible-cydia-apps-tweaks-list/

NZP fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 13, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

NZP posted:

Can anyone link me to the wee database of apps that are and aren't compatible with ios6 when jailbroken?

I mean jailbroken apps, not Apple Apps.

edit: of course, it's in the OP. And here - http://cydiahelp.com/ios-5-compatible-cydia-apps-tweaks-list/

That's an iOS 5 list, mate. Last post on that site is October 2012.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Bollocks, anyone got an up to date database? I'm SURE I seen one posted about 53 pages back.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

NZP posted:

Bollocks, anyone got an up to date database? I'm SURE I seen one posted about 53 pages back.

Three pages back.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah09Sy6aGB8hdEVaemF1VXRYbXVjY0wyZGdnZThuQUE&authkey=CMmC_5gE&authkey=CMmC_5gE#gid=0

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AsxLituOoyr9dGRaMk1YSWxYMk9RWmU3UHBwVWFVYkE&toomany=true#gid=0

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Kazy posted:

An update to DeskSMS has been submitted.

I've been waiting for this, MightyText is pretty much the only thing I'm currently missing about Android.

e: Apparently it's up! BigBoss repo.

Whelp. Tried it. Still bugs the poo poo out of me as much as it did when I used it on Android. This time around it's mainly it's nonexistent integration with iMessage groups and sending messages with no indication it was part of a group chat.

If I just wanted straight texts back and forth from a computer it would be just as easy to use Google Voice and never jailbreak. I don't totally see the appeal here.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I can't seem to find a good online review of IntelliscreenX, does anyone have a good link on what it can or cannot do?

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

merci beaucoup

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

benisntfunny posted:

Whelp. Tried it. Still bugs the poo poo out of me as much as it did when I used it on Android. This time around it's mainly it's nonexistent integration with iMessage groups and sending messages with no indication it was part of a group chat.

If I just wanted straight texts back and forth from a computer it would be just as easy to use Google Voice and never jailbreak. I don't totally see the appeal here.

I want to text back and forth from the computer, but I want to use my actual number :ssh:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

obi_ant posted:

I can't seem to find a good online review of IntelliscreenX, does anyone have a good link on what it can or cannot do?

It had a free trial. A lot of cool features but I didn't see myself actually using them.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

As someone who has never jailbroken or rooted a phone before, are the instructions in the OP really as straightforward and simple as they seem? Are there any common newbie mistakes that I might run into with disastrous results? I'm in high need of a tethering option on my iPhone 5, and would love to get this set up pronto!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

It is amazingly easy, this is the second time I've done a device but the first I've actually installed tweaks. You shouldn't have any issues, and if for some reason you do, just restore your phone and try again.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any apps that hide annoying system pop-ups, specifically 20% / 10% battery notification and no 3g signal notification? Had a look but can't see any.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

NZP posted:

Any apps that hide annoying system pop-ups, specifically 20% / 10% battery notification and no 3g signal notification? Had a look but can't see any.

LowPowerBanner should do this. I don't know about the no signal notification though. But definitely the low battery notifications.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I have an iPad 3 with OTA 6.1 jailbroken. If I do a restore in iTunes will it download the full 6.1 install so I can backup my SHSH blobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Has anyone tried the pre-6.1 Messages.app-saves-every-picture fix of deleting the contents of /var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments?

I'm wondering if this deletes EVERY image, or just the ones in deleted messages. For obvious reasons I don't necessarily want to delete the images in saved messaging histories.

PS - My folder is half a gig in size. I only have a few saved pictures here and there. This bug is no joke, friends.

Ezrem fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 13, 2013

• Locked thread