Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Pick 'em

Burma and Rochester till the end.

Super Pick'em Turbo: League Championship Edition

Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers - 5 games, 4-1 final
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's - 6 games, 7-3 final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Pick the winner, number of game (best-of-seven) and score of the final game
Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 7 games, final game 9-3
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's in 5 games, final game 5-4

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Guantlet Pickem:
Burma
Dubai

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 5, final score 7-2
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's in 6, final score 5-3

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.
Pick 'Em
Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers, 6 Games, F: 6-2
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's, 7 Games, F: 5-4

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

GrickleGrass posted:

Pick 'Em
Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers, 6 Games, F: 6-2
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's, 7 Games, F: 5-4

You make it harder to gain on you if you pick the same winners as me. Stop that.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
No one betting on the Tornadoes then? Also, how am I the favourite to beat a Marauder team?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

ForeverBWFC posted:

No one betting on the Tornadoes then? Also, how am I the favourite to beat a Marauder team?

Babe Fuckin' Ruth and Cy Young, that's why.

Also, I'd like to entertain a trade for Mr. Young at some point.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

cbx posted:

Babe Fuckin' Ruth and Cy Young, that's why.

Also, I'd like to entertain a trade for Mr. Young at some point.

He keeps playing like he has done this season and it's going to take something pretty fuckin' special...

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

ForeverBWFC posted:

He keeps playing like he has done this season and it's going to take something pretty fuckin' special...

Yeah, let's see how the draft goes. I might end up with some enticing parts, would love to have a relative of mine on my roster.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

gently caress you guys!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Cancun Tornados @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers in 4 Games, Final 5-2
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's in 4 Games, Final 6-5

I have incredibly blind faith in you both, BWFC and Ultimo!

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Monathin posted:

I have incredibly blind faith in you both, BWFC and Ultimo!

If the Tornadoes win now, your pick 'em score's gonna look pretty good :)

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Cancun Tornadoes @ Fukuoka Finger-Bangers, in 7, 7-6
Finger Lakes Phoenixes @ South Bolton Eazy W's, in 5, 10-3

Pick 'em: The Will and the Way
Pick TWO
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes
Portland Bulldogs
Rochester Generics

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

gently caress you guys!
gently caress you! I will have my vengeance; in this next season, or certainly the next.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

ToiletofSadness posted:

For a team that finished with the best record in the Expansion Cup, I feel I was really tough on your team.
Too bad the Losers weren't. :dukedog:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Can the Generics and Imperialists keep it together, or will the veteran presence of the Bulldogs and the Dervishes finally kill one or both of these teams? Let's see what the brain trust has come up with:

Burma Imperialists

Armitage (JAC)
cbx (DEC)
CVE (MDM)
gingemidget (WAL)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
Monathin (CNT)
mooseontheloose (HRV)
Pander (SAD)
Senerio (NOW)

Dubai Dervishes

Armitage (JAC)
gingemidget (WAL)
GrickleGrass (MAN)
mooseontheloose (HRV)
Pander (SAD)
ScottyJSno (LOV)
theacox (CER)

Portland Bulldogs

cbx (DEC)
ScottyJSno (LOV)

Rochester Generics

CVE (MDM)
Monathin (CNT)
Senerio (NOW)
theacox (CER)

People are still lining up behind the Imperialists, but have shifted from the Generics, for the most part, to the Dervishes, probably because the Dervishes have repeatedly beaten the crap out of the Generics in the regular season, so it's hard to assume that the Generics are just going to magically turn things around now. Only two people like the Bulldogs, and they chose them because of 'random chance' and 'the 1984 Tigers' respectively, which is about the least-ringing endorsement ever. Let's see what really happened:

Results

The Generics are down! The Generics are down! Imperialists and Dervishes advance!

Rollin'!

Like the Imperialists, the Dervishes having a down season does not mean they are not a good team, and they've shown that today. Noodles the Pitcher is not ready to go down in the darkness just yet.

And then the day came when Pete Alexander cried out "I can do no more!" And so sank the Bulldogs into relegation.

But hey, if you can win the Purgatory Gauntlet that will run during Super-League IX, the Skyhawks will make their grand return in Super-League X!

You were living on borrowed time, not only in this Gauntlet, but ever since you lost 105 games in the Expansion Cup. Your team should have died a long, long time ago, but through cunning plans, dumb luck and the vagaries of the human spirit, they survived season after season. But it couldn't last forever. Still, kw0134, for a team that never won anything ever, the Generics aren't going to be forgotten soon.

Pick 'em: For All Time!
Pick Zwei!
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes
Hartford Whalers
Philadelphia Failures

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

And so the time comes. Will the Whalers go down as heroes, or a group of assholes located in the countries worst city?

My money is on the later.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi
I apologize, school is starting to gently caress me over and I don't have the time or energy to be good at this or even passively check it every day.

The Brooklyn BAPiPS bow out of any future activities. Thanks for the effort you put into this! It's a great thing!

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

As I indicated previously - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499603&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=126#post412073368 - my lineup isn't set in stone. I'm going to change it to:

code:
1. LF - Henderson
2. C  - Platoon Berra/Lombardi
3. RF - Berkman
4. DH - Ortiz
5. CF - Hamilton
6. 3B - Molitor
7. 1B - McCovey
8. 2B - Pedroia
9. SS - Rollins
I'm also going to run a five man rotation of Alexander-Maddux-Cone-Beckett-Lester instead of the four man.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Pick Zwei!
Burma Imperialists
Hartford Whalers

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Pick Zwei!
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes
Hartford Whalers
Philadelphia Failures

I don't want to give up my Davis, but I made a deal, and this is in fact me covering my options.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Pick Zwei!
Dubai Dervishes
Hartford Whalers

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Pick Zwei!
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes

Hartford Whalers
Philadelphia Failures

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Trade Request

I'd like to buy a late first round or early 2nd round dispersal draft pick, and I obviously have a couple of younts and some other to sell which might be intresting given the dearth of talent at SS in the draft. Plese inquire in IRC for further infomation.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Pick Zwei!

Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes

Damnit. The Bulldogs let me down. TKBomber... let me down.

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

Pander posted:

You make it harder to gain on you if you pick the same winners as me. Stop that.

Then stop agreeing with my lucky loonie and increasingly senseless logic. '97 was a shiny year, boy, and it's goan keep on shinin'.

Pick 'Em
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes

The loonie says no to America. No.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Crap, I'm gonna have to go with Burma and Dubai as well.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

The Generics are from Rochester and lost 105 games in the Expansion Cup. They will either be a heartwarming story of redemption, or else a bleak tale of bitter failure and regret. Then again, bitter failure and regret was recently named the official mood of the City of Rochester.

Rochester Generics

Owner: kw0134
Home Grounds: Wegmans Stadium

Team Used
1924 Washington Senators
1994 California Angels
1998 San Diego Padres
2004 Chicago Cubs

Past Records
Expansion Cup V
57-105, 8th Place, McQueen League
Super-League VI
83-79, 4th Place, Vae Victis Division, Survived
Super-League VII
88-74, 2nd Place, Dies Irae Division, Survived
Super-League VIII
61-101, 6th Place, Vae Victis Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VII
Round 1: 18-22, 2nd Place, Survived
Round 2: 21-19, 2nd Place, Survived
Round 3: 23-17, 2nd Place, Survived
Round 4: 26-14, 1st Place, Survived
Round 5: 22-18, 2nd Place, Survived
Round 6: 19-21, 3rd Place, Relegated

Championship History
1x Intercontinental Champions
1x United States Champions

SUPER-LEAGUE DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE WESTERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK,
ROCHESTER DIVISION

Super-League,
Plaintiff
vs.
Rochester Generics, kw0134,
Defendants

COMPLAINT

NOW COMES Plaintiff Super-League, by and through its attorney, Smasher Dynamo and for its Complaint against Rochester Generics and kw0134 hereby states as follows:

JURISDICTION AND VENUE

1. Plaintiff brings this action under the Violence Against Common Sense Act of Super-League III, 13 S.L.C. s. 4242, et seq. ("VACSA"), the Anti-Tanking Act, 8 S.L.C. s. 1721, et seq. ("ATA"), the Anti-Morncale Act, 45 S.L.C. s. 9901.01, et seq., and common law negligence.

2. The Court has jurisdiction pursuant to the following statutes:

a. 4 S.L.C. s. 1701, which gives Super-League District Courts original jurisdiction over civil actions arising under Super-League Law.

b. 17 S.L.C. s. 1367, which gives Super-League District Courts supplemental jurisdiction over state claw claims.

3. Venue is appropriate in this judicial district under 32 S.L.C. s. 1488(b) because the events that gave rise to this Complaint occurred in this district.

PARTIES

4. Plaintiff is a league duly organized and existing under the laws of the State of Mark Grace, with its principal place of business located in the hearts of all mankind.

5. Defendant Rochester Generics is a franchise duly organized and existing under the laws of the Super-League.

6. Defendant kw0134 is the owner of the Rochester Generics. Defendant kw0134 is being sued in his official capacity as owner of the Rochester Generics. As such, he had a duty to ensure that his team did not completely suck.

General Allegations

7. The Super-League Organic statute, is codified at 1 S.L.C. s. 43 et seq. It provides for the mechanism by which teams are admitted and relegated to the Super-League. Teams are typically admitted through the Expansion Cup process, and relegated through the use of the Gauntlet.

8. Pursuant to this scheme, when a new team is created, the owner chooses a set number of points worth of feeder teams from which to form a 28 (later 30) man roster. Once this team is created, it is entered into the Expansion Cup competition against the other newly created teams of its class. 1 S.L.C. s. 43(a)-(d). Once the Expansion Cup concludes, teams are given dispersal draft picks based on their finish in the Expansion Cup, from which to further fortify their team for the Super-League season. 1 S.L.C. s. 43(e)(ii). It is a violation of Super-League statute to intentionally lose games with the willful and intentional purpose of gaining better dispersal draft picks. 8 S.L.C. s. 1721(c).

9. Section 47 of the Super-League Organic concerns the regulation of trades between existing franchises. 1 S.L.C. s. 47. Further sections in the Super-League code make illegal, or otherwise regulate, the ability of owners to trade amongst each other for the common good.

10. There is a long history in the Super-League of negligence actions being taken against owners who have been ruled to have willfully harmed their team through inaction. Super-League vs. NotQuiteQuentin, 17 S.L.2d 1501, 1505 (S.L. VI).

COUNT 1
Violation of Violence Against Common Sense Act

11. Plaintiff incorporates and restates each of the above paragraphs as if fully set forth therein.

12. Defendant kw0134 has violated the Violence Against Common Sense Act by engaging in a series of transactions and roster alignments that have, per the terms of the statute, "made a mockery of logical thought and/or reasonable practices." 13 S.L.C. s. 4242(a).

13. On or about Super-League VI-VIII, and on multiple occasions, defendant kw0134 inserted Chuck Finley into his rotation despite the fact that Chuck Finley has never proven to be a good pitcher for anyone, either in the Super-League or in real life.

14. On or about Super-League VII, defendant kw0134 chose to put Chick Hafey at first base despite the fact that Chick Hafey was not by trade a first baseman, nor had the requisite batting skills to play that position in the Super-League.

15. On or about Super-League VII, defendant kw0134 entered into a corporate agreement with several other owners to create the St. Paul Bearers, LLC. Defendant kw0134 then allowed this franchise to be put in the same league as his Rochester Generics, despite the fact that, because of Super-League rules, the success of either team would, by necessity, harm the other.

16. On or about the Gauntlet rounds of Super-League VII, Smasher Dynamo, commissar of Plaintiff, wrote a multi-part obituary for the St. Paul Bearers that he ultimately found to be rather disappointing, likely as the result of defendant kw0134's lack of personality.

17. On or about the Gauntlet rounds of Super-League VIII, defendant kw0134 admitted, in the public Super-League thread, that he was "history's greatest monster". When in fact, disclosing such information to the rest of humanity would be a decidedly foolish thing for such a monster to do.

18. On or about his entire tenure in the Super-League, defendant kw0134 has resided in the vicinity of Rochester, New York, a city so devoid of any hope and or happiness that courts have previously ruled it a mental defect or disease to have willfully lived there for any duration of time. The People of Earth vs. Rochester, 532 U.S. 1785, 1821 (1985).

19. Each of the preceding allegations violates VACSA and have harmed the Super-League through a weakening of competitive balance.

COUNT 2
Violation of Anti-Morncale Act

20. Plaintiff incorporates and restates each of the above paragraphs as if fully set forth therein.

21. On or about Week 15 of Super-League VII, defendant kw0134 learned that Barry Bonds, his starting left fielder and by far that strongest part of his team, was injured and would be unable to play for his team for the remainder of the season.

22. At the time, the Rochester Generics were in strong competition for one of four safe spots from the Gauntlet.

23. On or about Week 17 of Super-League VII, defendant kw0134 drafted an agreement with Morncale, owner of the Web 2.0 Bloggers, to trade Barry Bonds to the Bloggers in exchange for Chick Hafey and a number of other essentially valueless pieces.

24. On or about Week 18, defendant kw0134 and Mornacale formalized their agreement and sent the transaction to the Commissar's offense for approval.

25. With no legal ability to block the trade, Smasher Dynamo approved the trade, sending Barry Bonds to the Bloggers in exchange for Chick Hafey.

26. On or about Week 12 of Super-League VIII, Smasher Dynamo passed the Anti-Mornacale Act that authorized retroactive punishment for any team or owner found to have made agreements or otherwise transacted with either Mornacale or the Web 2.0 Bloggers.

27. By trading Barry Bonds to the Bloggers, defendant kw0134 strengthened the roster of the Web 2.0 Bloggers, therefore increasing the chance that they would survive, causing considerable emotional damage to Commissar Dynamo, who would be forced to deal with another season of Mornacale's unreasonable and meaningless roster tweaks.

COUNT 3
Violation of the Anti-Tanking Act

28. Plaintiff incorporates and restates each of the above paragraphs as if fully set forth therein.

29. Under the Anti-Tanking Act, it is a violation of Super-League law to willfully lose games in the Expansion Cup in order to improve one's draft position. 8 S.L.C. s. 1721(a).

30. On or about Expansion Cup V, the Rochester Generics lost 107 games in a 162 game season, amassing the worst record in the Expansion Cup.

31. Despite these losses, the Generics went on to survive for three Super-League seasons, made all the more amazing given the high rates of attrition that lead to most Super-League teams getting relegated after a single season.

32. Given these facts, it is alleged that defendant kw0134 intentionally "tanked" during Expansion Cup V in order to gain an advantage in the dispersal draft, a violation of the anti-tanking act.

COUNT 4
Negligence Claims

33. Plaintiff incorporates and restates each of the above paragraphs as if fully set forth therein.

34. Defendant kw0134 just seems like a guy who would be negligent, and that is a bad thing.

REQUESTED RELIEF

WHEREFORE, the Plaintiff respectfully requests relief as follows:

(A) For preliminary and permanent injunctive relief, relegating the Generics from the Super-League in perpetuity.

(B) For statutory damages for each violation of Super-League laws, pursuant to 18 S.L.C. s.1777

(C) For Plaintiffs' reasonable attorneys' fees incurred herein.

(D) For such other and further relief as the Court may deem just and proper.

(E) And for an order proclaiming that kw0134 was a good sport, and a class act.

Smasher Dynamo,

Attorney for the Super-League

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Also, I am selling the Mystery Envelope, please contact me!

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Expansion Cup VIII Playoffs: Taggart League Championship Series - Tijuana Mules vs CERN Colliders

Owner: Bograt
Hometown: Tijuana, Mexico (playing out of San Diego, CA)
Teams Used: 1987 New York Yankees, 1989 San Diego Padres, 1990 Los Angeles Dodgers, 2006 Cincinatti Reds
Regular Season Record: 90-72

At first blush, the Taggart League's Championship Series looks very similar to the McQueen League's: a barely-above .500 team wins a weak division to earn a series against one of the Cup's juggernaughts.

That's about where the similarities end. Unfortunately for Bograt and his Mules, they went 6-12 against the Colliders in regular season play, and unlike the Potatoes, the Mules took hold of the TL Downing Division and never looked back, beating the nearest competitor Million Dollar Men by 11 games for the division crown.

Which isn't to say the Mules have a terrible team. They've got a few good hitters and a few gems on the pitching staff. But because of the nature of Expansion Cup VIII, the Taggart League Championship Series will prove to be their first real test: a seven game series against the second-best record in the Cup, where it will be win or go home.

It's time to see just how good the Mules are.

Jack Murphy Stadium, Tijuana, Mexico

Jack Murphy Stadium will host Games 3, 4, and 5.

Owner: theacox
Hometown: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Teams Used: 1915 Philadelphia Athletics, 1927 New York Yankees, 1953 Milwaukee Braves
Regular Season Record: 101-61

One of the, if not the best team in the Cup this year, the Colliders fought off a late resurgance from the Omaha Forgettables to take the TL Sele Division crown. There are so many good spots for the Colliders that if I listed them all this writeup would go longer than the MLCS did, so here's just a few bulletpoints:

- The Colliders outscored their opponents 855-666 in the regular season.
- The 3/4/5 spots in the Colliders lineup (Gehrig/Ruth/Mathews) combined for 104 HRs and 368 RBIs. Gehrig and Ruth both hit over .300.
- The highest ERA in the Colliders 4-man playoff rotation? 3.88.

Yeah, the Colliders are good. And now comes the time where they need to prove it.

The Large Hadron Collider (stadium dimensions: Old Yankee Stadium)

The Large Hadron Collider will host Games 1, 2, 6, and 7. As to why the Large Hadron Collider is in New Brunswick in the Super-League universe... :iiam:

Game 1

Moncton Sun posted:

COLLIDERS WIN PITCHER'S DUEL TO TAKE GAME 1, 2-1

Moncton, NB -- Runs were at a premium in the first game of the Taggart League Championship Series, as both the Colliders' Warren Spahn and the Mules' Fernando valenzuela turned in complete game performances in which they gave up only six hits.

The middle third of the game provided the most offensive action, as in the bottom of the fourth inning Colliders 1B Lou Gehrig would send a Valenzuela fastball over the fence in left-center field. The Colliders would then follow up in the fifth with a double by Johnny Logan, immediately followed by Warren Spahn helping his own cause by smacking a long single that would allow Logan to come home from second base for the 2-0 Collider lead.

Between the bottom of the fifth and the top of the sixth, Mules owner Bograt could be seen shouting angrily at his players in Spanish. Whatever Bograt was saying, it appeared to have an effect on the club, as Fernando Valenzuela would lead off the inning with a scorching grounder right back to the second baseman Tony Lazzeri, who immediately airmailed the ball into the seats when he saw Valenzuela running like a man possessed. Rickey Henderson would then draw a walk. The Colliders did manage to get a force out at second base when Sandy Alomar's groundball stopped dead just outside the infield dirt, but then Adam "the Chosen" Dunn would draw yet another walk to leave the bases loaded with one out.

A Dave Winfield single brought Valenzuela across the plate, and now the situation was grim for theacox and the Colliders, as the game's momentum looked to be on the verge of shifting.

Then Eddie Murray would get a little too anxious and hit into an inning-ending double play.

After that, both Valenzuela and Spahn would completely baffle their opponents at the plate, and the game would end without much more in the way of fanfare.

theacox, in his post-game press conference, once again regaled the media with a scientific PowerPoint on the effects of the impending Colliders pennant. When somebody pointed out that there was still a lot of series to go, theacox responded with a cold, implacable smile: "We have run this simulation thousands of times. There is no possible outcome of a Mules victory."

Bograt's comments were far more succinct: "Hemos jugado como una mierda absoluta actualidad. Estos hijos de puta no pudo anotar una carrera si su vida dependiera de ello.", which, when translated, means "We didn't get the result that we wanted, but I have faith in my team and we'll figure this out eventually."

Game 2

Moncton Sun posted:

OFFENSES SHOW UP AS MULES WIN GAME 2

Moncton, NB -- Perhaps the inital hypothesis of pitching reigning supreme in this Taggart League Championship Series is flawed.

In an offensive showing that saw the Mules and Colliders combine for 26 hits, the Mules would emerge victorious today on strong showings from Dave Winfield and Justin Morneau. Winfield would go 4-5 on the day, and Morneau would bring home one run on each of his two hits in his 5 at-bats.

What the final scorecard doesn't show, however, is how close the Colliders came to being blown out in Game 2, as if it weren't for a bloop single from Johnny Logan in the bottom of the third, Mules starter Bronson Arroyo would have retired the first nine batters he faced in a row. On the other hand, Colliders starter Waite Hoyt couldn't seem to get the Mules under control, as they would score 3 runs on 4 hits and 2 costly Colliders errors.

That would all change in the fourth inning. After another run came across the plate in the top half to make the score 4-0 Tijuana, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and theacox were seen glowering in the dugout as Arroyo threw his warmups. Perhaps knowing that he'd face the two legends' wrath if he screwed up, Bob Meusel would rip a double to the right-field gap. Lou Gehrig would draw a walk. And then Babe Ruth would crush the first pitch he saw over the fence in left field to bring the Colliders within one run, a run that would be scored by a Tony Lazzeri sacrifice fly that allowed Wally Schang to trot home from third base.

For the next few innings, it was as if a polar shift occurred: suddenly it was the Colliders who couldn't be put down easily, and the Mules who couldn't get a hit if they had replaced their bats with pizza peels. The Colliders would take the lead with two more runs in the bottom of the fifth, and although they would threaten in the sixth and seventh, Mules reliever Charles Hudson would get out of the innings with no runs scored. Similarily, the CERN bullpen would continue to perplex Mules batters.

And then, in the top of the eighth, suddenly the poles shifted again, and the Mules would score 4 runs on 4 hits and 2 more Colliders errors to seal the victory.

After the game, theacox begrudgingly admitted: "Some of our simulations did forecast a small chance of the Mules winning this game. However, as the final overall result remained the same, we did not announce these outlying cases. We are still well within a standard deviation of expected results. There is nothing to panic about."

Bograt's press conference was much more festive, with a full mariachi band playing traditional music. "We're gonna get each and every one of those nerdy pendejos laid! Then they'll see that the Tijuana lifestyle is so much better than wasting away in some stupid laboratory!"

The series will now go to Tijuana for games 3, 4, and 5. God help us all.

Game 3

Tijuana Times posted:

MULES' MOMENTUM CONTINUES AS GAME 3 GOES TO TIJUANA

Tijuana, Mexico -- The Colliders' offense must have missed its flight.

Although the Colliders did manage nine hits in Game 3 of the Taggart League Championship Series, it only amounted to two runs, one of them coming in the top of the ninth inning, by which point half of the Mules' roster had already hit the bars.

The Mules hit hard and hit often in today's contest, amassing eight runs on nineteen hits. The offensive outburst started with a colossal two-run shot in the bottom of the first inning from Adam "the Chosen" Dunn, and the Mules never looked back after that.

CERN starter Herb Pennock lasted only 4.2 innings and gave up 7 runs on 14 hits -- and he did not strike out a single Tijuana batter. The only good news for the Colliders in this game is that they only gave up one walk. Tijuana starter Bruce Hurst, on the other hand, could have gone all night, but Bograt decided to give Tim Belcher some bullpen work in a game that was already, for all intents and purposes, over. Hurst went 7 innings and struck out two batters while walking three.

After the game, theacox chose not to give comments to the press, instead walking right by the podium, head down in what appeared to be important calculations. He was so engrossed in his muttering that he absentmindedly agreed to Bograt's exhortations to "live a little" by coming with the Mules owner to the afterparty. He would later be seen frowning at a napkin with a series of equations on it as members of both teams danced and drank around him.

Game Notes:
- Turns out 8-2 beatdowns are pretty drat hard to make interesting when you haven't established decent characters.

- The Colliders ground into 3 double plays. Two of them ended bases-loaded 1-out jams. The batters responsible? Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth. I think the RNG wanted Tijuana to win this drat game, don't you?

Game 4

Tijuana Times posted:

MULES WIN GAME 4 AFTER COLLIDERS LATE-INNING RALLY COMES UP JUST SHORT

Tijuana, Mexico -- Any scientist will tell you that the best way to prove a theory is to design an experiment that provides consistently accurate data in support of your theory. If the Taggart League Championship Series were an experiment, it wouldn't even get honorable mention at a grade-school science fair.

Every game has been a decidedly different experience than the last, and now that Game 4 is in the books, it seems like the only thing to expect in the TLCS is the unexpected.

At first, the situation looked very similar to Game 1, with both starting pitchers throwing strong throughout the early innings. Tijuana starter Orel Hershiser would have a bit of a shaky first inning, giving up his one and only run of his 7-inning performance, but other than that, a great pitching duel was brewing between him and CERN starter Urban Shocker. That is, until the bottom of the fifth inning.

A walk and another wild throw by Tony Lazzeri would set the plate for Rich Aurilia, who would inexplicably crush a fastball out of Jack Murphy Stadium to give the Mules the 3-1 lead. Two innings later, Adam Dunn would get hold of the first pitch in the bottom of the 7th to extend the lead to 4-1.

Tijuana would send Tim Crews to the mound to start the eighth inning, as Hershiser had thrown over 110 pitches and was starting to show signs of fatigue. Bob Meusel and Lou Gehrig both would pop up in quick succession, and now the Colliders found themselves 4 outs away from facing an elimination situation on the road against what was supposed to be a massive underdog. Incredulous disbelief was almost palpable in the Colliders dugout, but Babe Ruth was not going to go down without a fight.

He would smack the first pitch he saw down the line for a single. Wally Schang was next, he got aboard with a single to left that rolled around in the corner and allowed Ruth to rumble into third base. Eddie Mathews would then bring the Babe home with a single of his own that also moved Schang to third. The air went from one of a Tijuanan celebration to a tense baseball game in 3 batters, 3 hits, and less than ten pitches. The tying run was aboard. Tony Lazzeri stepped up to the plate, and he made contact on a first-pitch circle change. The ball took an odd bounce, and by the time Mules shortstop Rich Aurilia could get a handle on it, Schang had scored and Lazzeri stood on first base. Johnny Logan, who had been hitting well in the series but not in Game 4, was up to bat next, and if ever there was a time for Logan's first hit of the game, it was then. Logan would watch two balls go by him and foul off another before the final pitch of the at-bat came. Logan's bat made contact with Crews's circle changeup, and the ball was hit high and in the air to centerfield...

... where Rickey Henderson easily trotted under it for the final out. The celebration began anew, and Mark Davis would pick up his second save of the postseason on just nine pitches.

After the game, a clearly hung-over theacox held a presentation detailing the effects of alcohol on the Colliders' ability to perform research. When he reached a slide showing the picture of him staring at the equation-filled napkin after Game 3, however, he stopped mid-sentence and stared at the napkin, then quickly did a few more calculations. The color drained from his face, and he simply stated that there was a "very, very large problem" before dashing out of the room.

Game 5

Tijuana Times posted:

CERN WINS GAME 5, BUT THEACOX ISSUES DIRE WARNING

Tijuana, Mexico -- For a man who just saw his team stave off elimination and return the Taggart League Championship series to their homefield, theacox was markedly somber after the 3-2 CERN victory today.

To hear him tell it in his post-game comments, it doesn't matter that his pitching staff only allowed 2 runs on 7 hits. It doesn't matter that Lou Gehrig continued to make good contact with the ball. All that matters is that CERN pull off the comeback.

"If the Mules win this series, all calculations show that the world will be swallowed into a black hole caused by the sheer statistical improbability of the amount of upsets that have occurred over the course of the Expansion Cup. Just the Beard Leaguers' various beatdowns alone were cause for concern, but could you imagine what would happen if the Mules won this series? Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!" theacox bellowed as he clicked madly through another PowerPoint presentation.

Bograt, when informed of theacox's dire warning, simply laughed for about two full minutes before walking off, still chuckling, to join the once-again already-in-progress afterparty.

The series returns to Moncton after a travel day for Game 6, and if necessary ("You'd drat well better hope it's necessary", said theacox), Game 7.

Game 6

Moncton Sun posted:

COLLIDERS WIN OFFENSIVE SHOWDOWN TO SEND TLCS TO DECISIVE GAME 7

Moncton, NB -- Something about the Large Hadron Collider just seems to invigorate the offenses of the two teams in the Taggart League Championship Series. It might be something that warrants further study by theacox's team of scientists, that is if they weren't busy trying to convince anyone who will listen that the fate of the planet rides on the Colliders completing the comeback from being down 3 games to 1, a comeback they took another step towards completing today in a 15-10 slugfest.

This game wasn't nearly as close as the final lines for each team would indicate, as the Mules only managed to break double digits by scoring five runs off six hits in the ninth inning off a clearly uninterested Colliders bullpen. Before that, the Mules offense remained mostly placated by strong outings from Waite Hoyt (excepting the 4-run first inning) and Ernie Johnson (excepting his role in the ninth-inning explosion of Mules offense).

Meanwhile, the Colliders seemed to not be able to miss, with multi-run home runs from Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth, and Eddie Mathews. Bob Meusel went 3-for-5, and was stopped a home run short of hitting for the cycle. The teams combined for 33 hits.

The decisive Game 7 will see the Mules' Bruce Hurst go up against the Colliders' Herb Pennock tomorrow evening.

Game 7

Moncton Sun posted:

CRISIS AVERTED, CERN COLLIDERS TAKE TAGGART LEAGUE PENNANT

Moncton, NB -- You could almost feel the tension in the air as Game 7 of the Taggart League Championship Series began. On one hand, Bograt's Tijuana Mules, for all of their "party hard" bluster, wanted to make an impact and prove that they deserved their divisional championship. On the other, theacox and his team of scientists still believed that they needed to win to prevent an upset-induced black hole from destroying Earth.

With that in mind, both teams got off to very fast starts in the first two innings of the game. The Mules would draw first blood with two runs in the top of the first, but they would quickly lose their lead when the Colliders would score four in the bottom of the first off four hits, including a 2-RBI single from Eddie Mathews, and one run even scored on a wild pitch from Bruce Hurst.

The Mules would respond by tying the game up in the top of the second inning when Roberto Alomar sent a ball rattling around into the corner in right-field that allowed two runs to score. After that, Hurst and Pennock settled in, and yet another pitching duel began.

For three and a half innings, not a single runner would make it past second base. Then came the bottom of the sixth, where the Colliders would score three runs off a Eddie Mathews solo shot, a Bruce Hurst wild pitch, and a Herb Pennock bloop single.

As soon as that seventh run crossed the plate, the tension drained from the Colliders dugout, as Pennock showed no signs of slowing down in his performance. And slow down he did not, as he would finish the game while allowing only two more hits in the final three innings to send the CERN Colliders to the Expansion Cup VIII Championship Series.

After the game, Bograt seemed to be unaffected by the loss. "We still live in one of the best party zones in the world, we've got a good team, and we're heading to Super-League IX! Would we have liked to win? Si, but things could always have been so much worse, eh?"

theacox's post-game presenation began with a sheepish admission: the calculations that had shown a Mules series victory resulting in the end of the world were incorrect, as a bird flying overhead had dropped a piece of bread into some outdoor machinery on the Large Hadron Collider compound, resulting in the networked computers used to calculate such difficult equations giving incorrect data.

"Our bad." theacox admitted. When informed that his Colliders would be travelling to Moscow to face the Idaho Potatoes in Game 1 of the ECCS, however, he went pale once again. "That can't be right. Excuse me, I need to go make some calculations..."

EXPANSION CUP VIII CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES INJURY REPORT

Both teams have a clean bill of health.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Bringing the ideals of the revolution to the Super-League since SLVIII! Also, until SLVIII.

Owner: Shadow gamer
Home Grounds: Olympic Stadium

Teams Used
1950 St. Louis Browns
1986 Oakland A's
1951 Philadelphia Phillies
2004 Atlanta Braves

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII

74-89, 3rd Place, Laissez-Faire Division

I was in my office putting the final touches on my latest magnum opus when I heard a knocking at my door. It was, of course, Andy Pettitte of the Cuba Smokers. It happens every time: I write some poor team's obituary, and suddenly, all their players come crawling out of the woodwork, demanding more of the spotlight. Pettitte's case was rather egregious, since he was already the main character. Nonetheless, I already had a reputation as a Yankee hater, so I had to at least hear the rear end in a top hat out. No doubt he was here to offer some 'constructive' criticism.

"I'm here to offer some constructive criticism," said Andy. I should, at this time, point out that as the narrator, I know what they're going to say in advance. I told him to by all means proceed, that I wasn't doing anything vitally important, and that his interruption was certainly not substantially delaying the posting of his team's obituary in the thread.

He, of course, immediately launched into a tirade about my writing, completely oblivious to my sarcasm. "Actually, your sarcasm was very clear, I just chose to ignore it because you're a dickhead," said Pettitte. No he didn't. He was COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS TO MY SARCASM.

"Uh... where was I? Oh, yeah, I'm glad you're not doing anything vitally important, because there are a few points I'd like to go over with you about this latest obit," he said. "First off, I think maybe it might be beneficial to discuss a larger variety of players on the team. As it is, you only mention me and Lindy McDaniel. I'd think in a proper team obit, you'd want to discuss some of the team's low points, like Ned Garver's struggles, or Mark McGwire's .203 batting average, or Richie Ashburn's inexplicably awful defense. I mean, those are major parts of why the team was relegated."

Well, there was some validity to that criticism. It was true, the obit did focus primarily on Pettitte and McDaniel. I barely even mentioned Jim Kaat and Sherm Lollar, and I'd completely forgotten Jay Howell, Curt Young, and Jim Konstanty. But, I explained to Mr. Pettitte, a short story is much better when it is tightly focused. Too many characters make it hard to follow the plot, make it hard to give them any depth. In fact, I told him, in my latest re-write, I'd actually reduced the size of McDaniel's role, to focus more tightly on Pettitte's own story. I had hoped he'd be grateful, but of course he was not.

"That brings me to my other point," he said. "In this latest re-write, I noticed the new title of the piece." One of my finest triumphs, I love that title! "I think maybe it's a touch... overboard?" I explained to him that over-long titles like that are a staple of comedy going back many, many years. The exaggerated length of the title was, itself, a key joke, a callback to older times when titles like that were common while at the same time ridiculing them. He kept trying to interrupt me, but, being the narrator, I am rather hard to interrupt. Finally, at great length, I finished my explanation. Interview complete, I turned to post the obituary on the site.

"Only, the length's not my issue with the title," he said. Sneering disdainfully, I asked him what he could possibly mean, conveying that I knew full well that nothing he could suggest could ever even marginally improve my own, superior work. "Well... 'The Tragic Loss of Innocence: Or, How the Cuba Smokers Were Doomed to Relegation by the Bungling Incompetence of the Repugnant Andy Pettitte, Despicable Yankee Filth' just seems a little... mean-spirited?" Perhaps, I told him, but it's too late now, I just hit post.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

The Detroit Cougars announce a trade!

The Cougars send:

1965 Juan Marichal
1965 Willie McCovey
and
The 15th pick in the Dispersal Draft

and

The Canton Catastrophes send:

The 2nd pick in the Dispersal Draft
Their 1st round pick in the Super Draft

cbx fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 14, 2013

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

cbx posted:

The Detroit Cougars announce a trade!

The Cougars send:

1965 Juan Marichal
1965 Willie McCovey
and
The 15th pick in the Dispersal Draft

and

The Canton Catastrophes send:

The 2nd pick in the Dispersal Draft
Their 1st round pick in the Super Draft

Red Rover, Red Rover, send those Giants players over!

The Canton Catastrophes approve this trade!

Monathin fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 14, 2013

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Trade approved.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

COMES NOW the Defendant ROCHESTER GENERICS and kw0134 in answering the allegations of the Complaint on file herein, affirms, denies and alleges as follows:

Answering the counts 1-6, Defendant AFFIRMS only that kw0134 is the owner of the ROCHESTER GENERICS and that the Plaintiff as so named. Defendant avers that forum would be proper insofar that this Court has personal jurisdiction over monsters, which Defendant will move for a special appearance to contest.

Answering the counts 7-10, Defendant AFFIRMS the legal recitation.

Answering the counts 11, 12, 15, 16, Defendant DENIES the allegations. Plaintiff was the first, sole, and final arbiter of the placement of the St. Paul Bearers, and Defendant cannot be made negligent when primary responsibility for league balance rests with the Plaintiff. Moreover, as a partial owner whose decisions must be ratified according to the corporate charter, kw0134 bears no personal liability for business decisions in connection with the running of a corporate team. Any such liability would adhere only to the corporate body itself, which is moot with the St. Paul Bearers now defunct.

Answering the counts 13, 14, Defendant DENIES the allegations. Discovery will show that Hafey had batting figures that consistently lead the team, and Defendant also avers that Kaline was not worthless trade bait. Finley had high K/9 ratios that belie his reputation and the event Plaintiff would in light of the roster ask that Phil Niekro pitch instead, which as is commonly known, really really dumb.

Answering count 17, Defendant AFFIRMS only that he made such a statement, but as a matter of law false given the existence of Brooklyn Bruiser. (C.f., In re Brooklyn Bruiser Challenge to Gumshoes, 43 S.L. 312 (Season 7).)

Answering count 18, Defendant AFFIRMS without further comment.

Answering count 19, Defendant DENIES based on the foregoing Answers above.

Answering the counts 20-27, Defendant DENIES that the trade was done with any malicious intent to harm Plaintiff. If such was the standard, all participants with Mornacale must be held jointly and severally liable and Plaintiff should add the many appropriate parties to this action. This action is also premature as Bloggers have yet to escape the Gauntlet and their fate is undetermined.

Answering the counts 28-32, Defendant DENIES that he tanked and maintains that the GENERICS lasted as long as they did through ineffable luck and large wholesale replacement of the roster through challenges made available by the Plaintiff himself.

Answering the counts 33-34, Defendant DENIES based on available evidence.

AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES

1. This Court has no personal jurisdiction over monsters, as Plaintiff alleges, and so this action must be dismissed.
2. The applicable statutes reside in men's hearts, but as Defendant is allegedly a monster and thus without a heart said statutes do not reach him and so the Court must dismiss as there is no basis for relief.
3. The harm arising from Defendant's interactions with Mornacale has yet to be happen, and thus no actual harm has come to pass. The associated complaints must be dismissed for lack of standing as there is no current case or controversy to be adjudicated.

WHEREFORE, Defendant prays that Plaintiff take nothing and a judgment be entered according the same. Further, Defendant prays for a Declaratory Judgment that kw0134 is a swell guy and his rights to enter future Super Leagues notwithstanding this pending action shall not be infringed.

Signed,

kw0134, pro se and for ROCHESTER GENERICS

[This was far longer than I had anticipated.]

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent

Excellent! The..."supplements" I've slipped into the water supply for the Mules seem to have worked well enough to keep me from being completely humiliated.

Seriously, though, that was a hell of a lot closer than I thought it was going to be. By the end of the write-up of my third win, I was actually believing I stood a chance. Still, forcing it to a full 7 games against the Colliders makes me pretty proud of my boys.

Also, I'm just going to hold Buddy Bell's head in the sink until the twitching stops. It's really the only humane thing to do.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

You see, a few slight miscalculations can lead to a nearly disastrous result. The fate of the world seemingly rests in the hands of the Colliders. For the reason, we have hired a consultant for further playoff calculations.

All further scientific formulae will be in his control. Pray for humanity.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

And then the day came when Pete Alexander cried out "I can do no more!" And so sank the Bulldogs into relegation.

But hey, if you can win the Purgatory Gauntlet that will run during Super-League IX, the Skyhawks will make their grand return in Super-League X!

It took a season longer than I had planned and I did have nothing to do with it, but seeing those cheaters go down makes me so happy like you don't even know.

quote:

Pick Zwei!
Burma Imperialists
Dubai Dervishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

For the Guantlet Pickem
Dubai
Philly