Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Butt Savage posted:

Edit: BTW, what desk is that in your pics, SWSP?
It was an Ikea Jerker. I moved and it ended up being a bit too big for the room it went into, so it was replaced with the slightly smaller Ikea Fredrik.

The Jerker was way better, but such is life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I don't know what I'll do if I have to replace my Jerker :sweden:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

japtor posted:

I don't know what I'll do if I have to replace my Jerker :sweden:
My dad's office has about 300 of them, so I imagine if I ever want one again I'll be able to dig one up that hasn't been too abused.

I joke with him that if they ever go bust, he should start a business selling second-hand Ikea desks.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 12, 2013

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Heh, I too am an owner of a Fredrik. Nice, sturdy desk, but I hope to replace the legs with something more visually appealing. The lighting in your pictures makes the desktop's color look very rich; I thought it was something totally different.

Strong, solid Ikea desk users unite! :sweden:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BlueFootedBoobie posted:

I'm actually about to sell a NIB 2010 27" iMac.

Seriously.

Dad bought it for his business and it's just sat unopened since Dec 2010.

PM sent.

japtor posted:

That's the stubby G5 looking one! :haw:
Yep! I have one arriving tomorrow. Can't wait to do an Ivy Bridge build with it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Butt Savage posted:

Heh, I too am an owner of a Fredrik. Nice, sturdy desk, but I hope to replace the legs with something more visually appealing. The lighting in your pictures makes the desktop's color look very rich; I thought it was something totally different.

Strong, solid Ikea desk users unite! :sweden:
You wouldn't say that if you had experienced the Jerker :colbert:, like so:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The Jerker was way better, but such is life.
http://www.ikeafans.com/home/modular-desks-ikeas-jerker-is-undisputed-king/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/IKEA-JERKER-Desks-Bring-them-back/131905880170573
http://adam.pra.to/content/jerker/ (Can't believe how many of the linked pages are still around)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Legdiian posted:

Didn't want to spring for the i7? :c00lbert:

Nope, but I did go for the Radeon HD4850 512MB. I always find it really hard to justify the CPU upgrades.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

echobucket posted:

Nope, but I did go for the Radeon HD4850 512MB. I always find it really hard to justify the CPU upgrades.
I'm not even sure an i7 was available with the 2009 iMacs?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

SourKraut posted:

I'm not even sure an i7 was available with the 2009 iMacs?

Sure was.

BTW, if you don't have mactracker, you should go get it. It's great.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mactracker/id430255202?mt=12

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I'm about to sell my 27" iMac and buy a standalone IPS monitor for my MacMini to do photo editing on. I also have a 15" MBP.

I'd love some way to keep the mini and USB keyboard hooked up most of the time, but easily be able to "dock" my MBP into the setup and switch to it occasionally without having to deal with unplugging a bunch of wires.

Anyone know how I could accomplish this?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

echobucket posted:

I'm about to sell my 27" iMac and buy a standalone IPS monitor for my MacMini to do photo editing on. I also have a 15" MBP.

I'd love some way to keep the mini and USB keyboard hooked up most of the time, but easily be able to "dock" my MBP into the setup and switch to it occasionally without having to deal with unplugging a bunch of wires.

Anyone know how I could accomplish this?

You could perhaps do it in software with Synergy

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Seconding Mactracker, makes my job much easier when ID'ing machines.

And if you don't believe Mactracker, believe the official iMac specification page where Mactracker gets most of its information from:

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP576

Apple posted:

Processor and memory

27-inch models only, one of the following:

2.66GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache; Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.2GHz

2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB shared L3 cache; Turbo Boost dynamic performance up to 3.46GHz; Hyper-Threading for up to eight virtual cores

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I'll have to download and play around with Mactracker.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

You could perhaps do it in software with Synergy

No, I want to be able to use something like a KVM I guess... I won't be using the Macmini and the MBP at the same time.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

echobucket posted:

my 2009 iMac has a core i5. :colbert:

Legdiian posted:

Didn't want to spring for the i7? :c00lbert:
It's not too late to upgrade. Find a 95W Socket 1156 CPU like an i7-870. Should be 175-275 used. Amazon marketplace must accept returns.

Edit:

echobucket posted:

It'll also take the XMX module from late 2011 iMacs, such as the 2GB 6970.
It will also take 32GB of RAM.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 12, 2013

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

kuskus posted:

It's not too late to upgrade. Find a 95W Socket 1156 CPU like an i7-870. Should be 175-275 used. Amazon marketplace must accept returns.

Edit:

It'll also take the XMX module from late 2011 iMacs, such as the 2GB 6970.
It will also take 32GB of RAM.

That's pretty neat. Too bad I'm lusting too much for a rMBP so I'm planning on selling the iMac. Gonna sell it and use my Macmini until the new Retinas come out this year.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Just ordered an mStand because I am getting tired of pulling my neck every other month. I'm getting old.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

lord funk posted:

Just ordered an mStand because I am getting tired of pulling my neck every other month. I'm getting old.

I have this and it was a vast improvement for my MBPr.

Vedder
Jun 20, 2006

lord funk posted:

I have just ordered one of these for my 13" MBP as I have a secondary monitor, do you guys recommend any particular keyboard/mouse/trackpad combo?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Apple Keyboard and Magic Trackpad? :v:

Vedder
Jun 20, 2006

carry on then posted:

Apple Keyboard and Magic Trackpad? :v:

I was thinking of the trackpad, two guys at work have macs, one raves about the trackpad and the other about the magic mouse, so I think I will have a look tomorrow. I am thinking the wired keyboard rather than the wireless as well, unless you guys prefer the wireless?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Vedder posted:

I was thinking of the trackpad, two guys at work have macs, one raves about the trackpad and the other about the magic mouse, so I think I will have a look tomorrow. I am thinking the wired keyboard rather than the wireless as well, unless you guys prefer the wireless?

Get the rechargeable batteries.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Vedder posted:

Dude, get wireless. You almost certainly don't need the num pad, and cords are evil.

(that said, I do have a Das Keyboard for Mac which is enormous, num-padded, and corded; I love it dearly, but had to stop using it as my wrists were getting sore and I'm terribly concerned about RSI).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lots of pro apps benefit from the numpad, but you'd know it if you were using one.
edit: $69+45 for a wireless apple keyboard with a numpad attachment thing or $49 with a wired one. Honestly a keyboard sits just in front of the monitor and it doesn't go anywhere. The biggest advantage of losing the wire I can imagine is that it looks cool and I guess you could put it aside when you need to if your desk is small. If you're throwing so much money around you might as well buy a better desk.

brap fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 12, 2013

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
You can get a wireless number pad that attaches to the wireless keyboard too and have the best of both worlds.

I have this one and it has a piece that makes it like one big keyboard and I like it.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Suqit posted:

You can get a wireless number pad that attaches to the wireless keyboard too and have the best of both worlds.

I have this one and it has a piece that makes it like one big keyboard and I like it.

I was about to come into the thread asking for something exactly like that, placing my order now!

Because seriously, gently caress entering any substantial amount of numerical data without a num pad.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Speaking of keyboards for OS X, I found out about this keyboard the other day and thought I would share it with everyone.

Logitech K760.

* Solar so no more batteries
* Mac specific keys

and the killer feature

You can pair this thing with THREE different bluetooth devices and switch between them with a keystroke. :monocle:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/Wireless-Solar-Keyboard-K760-for-Mac?crid=1489

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
And the full-size version is actually cheaper: (Edit: doesn't seem to switch between devices though)
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-solar-keyboard-k750-mac?crid=1489

Honestly I way prefer having a numberpad. But I also prefer having a wired keyboard. :shrug:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I prefer the wired keyboard only because I have a Windows partition for games. After trying to deal with bluetooth across multiple OSes, I decided to go the easy route and get the wired keyboard. I use the trackpad in OS X and a G400 in Windows.

And yeah the numberpad is nice. It was almost a necessity for Garry's Mod up until recently.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
:siren:Retina Macbook Pro's, both High-End 13" and Low/High-end 15", just got a spec bump.:siren:

In addition, the low-end Retina 13" dropped its price by $200 to $1499, the High-End dropped $300 to $1699.

In addition, the 256 GB 13" Macbook Air had its price dropped $100.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just checked my local store, looks like the high-end 15" rMBP would now cost 150€ less despite the +0.1 Ghz and +8 GB RAM.

Decent, but I can’t help but wonder if this is an indication for a delayed Haswell rollout in late Q3 or even Q4.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

eames posted:

Decent, but I can’t help but wonder if this is an indication for a delayed Haswell rollout in late Q3 or even Q4.

I think you are totally right.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FlashBangBob posted:

:siren:Retina Macbook Pro's, both High-End 13" and Low/High-end 15", just got a spec bump.:siren:

In addition, the low-end Retina 13" dropped its price by $200 to $1499, the High-End dropped $300 to $1699.

In addition, the 256 GB 13" Macbook Air had its price dropped $100.

They must have a glut of 128GB SSDs or the older NAND chips. 256GB upgrade for 'free' or $100 discount + 256GB standard would have been better than the silly .1GHz speed bump and $200 off.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
That new high end 15in retina is the exact BTO I wanted, now it's stock, plus I get an edu discount.

Finding it really, really hard to wait for the new chips and/or form factor.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I vote for wired keyboard too. For one, I think the numpad is useful, especially if you're doing math/numbers/excel/accounting etc... Secondly, it will give you an extra USB port. I used to "dock" my MBP and I found it useful for pulling in my iphone/ipod/random USB stuff. Finally, when are you ever going to possibly need a wireless keyboard? You have a laptop, you can just take the whole thing with you.

On the other hand, if you have an ipad or something, maybe you'll want a wireless keyboard to use with it.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

eames posted:

I just checked my local store, looks like the high-end 15" rMBP would now cost 150€ less despite the +0.1 Ghz and +8 GB RAM.

I'm so disappointed by these updates if it means Haswell is delayed. I'm so ready to sell my iMac and buy an rMBP.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Just took delivery of my Late 2012 27" iMac! I'm in the market for some memory.

Would this memory from Best Buy be just fine? I have some gift cards I want to use up. I'm not so much worried about if the price is ok, just if the memory will perform well. If not, recommendations?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Legdiian posted:

Just took delivery of my Late 2012 27" iMac! I'm in the market for some memory.

Would this memory from Best Buy be just fine? I have some gift cards I want to use up. I'm not so much worried about if the price is ok, just if the memory will perform well. If not, recommendations?
You need laptop chips, not desktop chips. And all 1600MHz memory is going to perform just about exactly the same.

Go to NewEgg, TigerDirect, OWC, wherever you like and find four '8.0GB 1600MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM PC12800 204 Pin'

Detailed specs from OWC's page:

Technology: DDR3L SO-DIMM
Density: 8GB (8192MB)
RoHS: Yes
Pin Count: 204-pin
Op. Temp.: 0C to +85C
Data Rate: DDR3L-1600
Speed: PC3-12800
CL: 11
Cycle Time: 1.875ns
Voltage: 1.35V
ECC: Non ECC
Module Ranks: Dual Rank
Register: Non Parity

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 13, 2013

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

You need laptop chips, not desktop chips.

Phew! glad I asked. I really should have caught that. Looks like using my BB gift cards are out :( Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Haggins posted:

Finally, when are you ever going to possibly need a wireless keyboard? You have a laptop, you can just take the whole thing with you.

I suppose short answer would be "it depends" -- for example, I appreciate the minimalism wireless keyboard / trackpad gives (I should mention that I have no actual need for numpad though).