Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

horse mans posted:

Kins, toooo bad and I just tried multiplayer out on Steam. He says when he went into a level from the lobby, the server spit out "no player 2 start", and I got disconnected with a bus error. Is this a problem with the map we chose? Like, it's missing a player 2 spawn point actor or whatever?
Oops, looks like JRPGville doesn't have co-op starts. Umm, don't try that map online until a bugfix gets released (gonna wait a little before doing a release so I can squash multiple bugs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Okay, turns out the screenshots I took all suck. But me, toooobad, and some other dude managed to play a couple good rounds. It's even more fun in multiplayer than solo!

EDIT: No permadeath kind of sucks, though. And I couldn't tell; does everyone get a separate score?

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 13, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

haha awww. But yeah that was a lot of fun. I guess this is basic-rear end ZDoom multiplayer stuff but we eventually figured out that we needed to have the exact same settings in ZDL (or the command line) as one another to remain synced. It's not a bad idea for whoever's hosting to just post up a screenshot of their ZDL settings for the other players to copy (your settings may vary).

Also yeah, without any penalty for death you kind of tear through it. Maybe if players die they have to sit out the duration of the round and if everyone dies they lose? Something like that would be interesting.

e: oh and those aliens are MURDER on framerates. :smith:

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 13, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

horse mans posted:

EDIT: No permadeath kind of sucks, though. And I couldn't tell; does everyone get a separate score?
Everyone gets a separate score that gets added up on the ending screen.

Permadeath would be great, but it'd have to be a gross hack because I can't really control respawning very much.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Thinking of playing Quake with enhanced graphics - can't make up my mind between Epsilon and QuakeHD. Has anyone played the game recently with either mod and would care to share their opinion?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I get a better vibe from Quake HD. It comes with nice docs about how to configure various things, does some stuff with transparent water, makes good texture choices, and generally seems to be more carefully curated than Epsilon.

But! Despite the fact that I'm the guy that most recently linked those into this thread, I'm not super-experienced with either, and so I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I have a hard time getting Epsilon to not run like poo poo, no matter the settings. My PC should handle it fine (Phenom X6 1055T, 12GB RAM, GTX-260), but man does it ever run badly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Maybe this is a little thinkier than most of the games covered in this thread, but I think it needs to be mentioned:

:siren::siren::siren: SYSTEM SHOCK 2. GOG. TOMORROW. :siren::siren::siren:

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
^^^:argh: Beaten

System Shock 2 is finally coming to GOG. It will be available tomorrow at 11 AM GMT (about 23 hours from when I posted this) for $10. Even though I've barely played it, I'll still buy it since everyone and their great grandma says it's a great game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Wasn't System Shock 2 released legitimately for free? I'm pretty positive I downloaded it a few years back at no cost.

Still, cool to see it on GOG, supposedly they're including lots of maps and art and behind the scenes videos and stuff.

I'll buy it again. :v:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Zaphod42 posted:

Wasn't System Shock 2 released legitimately for free? I'm pretty positive I downloaded it a few years back at no cost.

Still, cool to see it on GOG, supposedly they're including lots of maps and art and behind the scenes videos and stuff.

It's been "abandonware" for a while since it has been in licensing hell for years but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been released legitimately for free.

I'm going to purchase it because I never got a chance to way back when. I do remember seeing the box and that it was cheap but I wasn't sure what it was and it looked kind of scary....

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Speaking of System Shock 2, is there anyway to have any more control over the volume levels of different stuff beyond Music and Master Volume? I can only get like 30 minutes into the game each time I try to play it because the sound effects of beeping computers, space zombies moaning/talking/whatevering, explosions and alarms constantly overwhelm the audiologs and woman over comms telling me about stuff to the point where I just can't hear them clearly at all, and it just drives me nuts.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

You might be confusing it with Marathon. Either that or you've been conned into thinking abandonware was a legitimate thing. (I mean, morally it often is; but legally it certainly isn't.)

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Zaphod42 posted:

It was on Home of the Underdogs for a while. There was a period of time where no one knew who owned the rights for it and it was declared Abandonware. I think it was eventually found out that EA owned them and they pulled the download.

EDIT: Hey! vvvv

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 13, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cat Mattress posted:

You might be confusing it with Marathon. Either that or you've been conned into thinking abandonware was a legitimate thing. (I mean, morally it often is; but legally it certainly isn't.)

Nah, definitely not. I know Marathon well and have had Aleph One on my machine since I stopped using a mac.

Hmm weird. I swear to god it was on Fileplanet or somewhere legit as a freely available game, I was pretty happy about it, downloaded it and played through the beginning, like a few years back... :confused:

Maybe I dreamed it? Or maybe it was an abandonware site after all... I swear though...

Reive
May 21, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, definitely not. I know Marathon well and have had Aleph One on my machine since I stopped using a mac.

Hmm weird. I swear to god it was on Fileplanet or somewhere legit as a freely available game, I was pretty happy about it, downloaded it and played through the beginning, like a few years back... :confused:

Maybe I dreamed it? Or maybe it was an abandonware site after all... I swear though...

You may be thinking of the first game?
System Shock 1 all fancied up with built in fan patches has been floating around forever, no one's ever taken it down as far as I know.
2 has been on plenty of abandonware sites, but never legitimately.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GoldenNugget posted:

It's been "abandonware" for a while since it has been in licensing hell for years but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been released legitimately for free.

I'm going to purchase it because I never got a chance to way back when. I do remember seeing the box and that it was cheap but I wasn't sure what it was and it looked kind of scary....

I want to say it was on "Home of the Underdogs" for a while. It was either that, or Abandonia, but I am 99% sure it was HotU. I am absolutely positive it was on one of those two sites, though.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
loving hell, that's quite an achievement :stare:

Thank god it's finally out of licensing hell, it's far too good a game to end up lost to time.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been wanting to play it for a long time, but haven't felt like messing with making it run on a modern machine. GOG always does a good job with that, so it'll definitely be a day one purchase for me.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Johnny Law posted:

I get a better vibe from Quake HD. It comes with nice docs about how to configure various things, does some stuff with transparent water, makes good texture choices, and generally seems to be more carefully curated than Epsilon.

But! Despite the fact that I'm the guy that most recently linked those into this thread, I'm not super-experienced with either, and so I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

Are there any quake projects that improve level geometry? The problem I have with a lot of the HD Quake stuff is it is that really high resolution textures on primitive flats and low poly models just seems offputting. Something in the vein of Black Mesa Source, or Knee Deep in Zdoom, that actively remakes quake 1 would be fantastic.

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi
There was (is) a project called RemakeQuake that summoned up a loving shitstorm of drama no community has ever seen the likes of.
Nobody could agree what Quake actually is, and people (including me) argued that if you call your mod "RemakeQuake" perhaps you shouldn't strive to add cutscenes and all kinds of weird and shittily implemented new gameplay gimmicks. And also not replace all the already excellent monster sounds with recordings of some guy moaning in his mom's basement.

I honestly don't know what happened to it, but it seems to have been canceled and some new TC/standalone game was spun off instead.
I'm sure there are other people here who know more, my role in the whole thing was not much more than being a horrible troll clawing from my grave.
:shrek:

To answer your question; No, there aren't any HD remakes of Quake levels. Some newer custom levels are made with HD textures in mind, but yeah on the original levels it looks jarring as hell.
And that's why I recommend playing using default textures with texturemode GL_MIPMAP_NEAREST_MIPMAP!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I think the big confusion about SS2 comes from how many goons have hosted the files over the years. Hell, I have a copy of both the ISO and HOTU versions on my webspave that I need to take down tonight.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

Maybe this is a little thinkier than most of the games covered in this thread, but I think it needs to be mentioned:

Holy gently caress yessssssssssssss

If you are one of the people who for some inexplicable reason hasn't played System Shock 2 you need to :getin: tomorrow. Between the unofficial 2.4 patch and now a GOG release, there is no excuse.

Now GOG just needs to get System Shock 1 and Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri up there.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Red_Mage posted:

Are there any quake projects that improve level geometry? The problem I have with a lot of the HD Quake stuff is it is that really high resolution textures on primitive flats and low poly models just seems offputting. Something in the vein of Black Mesa Source, or Knee Deep in Zdoom, that actively remakes quake 1 would be fantastic.

Remake Quake was interesting but a little off.

The Quoth mod ( http://www.quaddicted.com/webarchive/kell.quaddicted.com/ ) has its own take on e1m1 and e1m2. So does the (quite cool) In the Shadows mod ( http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/its.htm ). I really enjoyed both of those "remixes" and I'd be excited if a Black Mesa / KDiZD sort of project redid an entire episode of Quake with that level of quality, but it seems unlikely that will ever happen.

I also have some good fun with SP maps that are reworked versions of the original deathmatch maps.

Edit: here's a couple of images from the In the Shadows page; see if you recognize the locales.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 13, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Fantastic. My uncle got me a CD copy for Christmas one year and I have it installed right now. I also have SSP.

Edit: Also, the new Reelism is great.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 14, 2013

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I never got much into the mod scene for Doom, but I'm having a stupid amount of fun with Reelism. :haw:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Scyther posted:

I never got much into the mod scene for Doom, but I'm having a stupid amount of fun with Reelism. :haw:

Is the new Reelism out? I could desperately use something other than turpentine to drown my despair after experiencing Colonial Marines.

edit: Brutal Doom V18's comin' out tommorow. Righteous.

ChickenHeart fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 14, 2013

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

Is the new Reelism out? I could desperately use something other than turpentine to drown my despair after experiencing Colonial Marines.

edit: Brutal Doom V18's comin' out tommorow. Righteous.

One page back, buddy.

The Kins posted:

Oh, and while I'm here, I got you guys a present...
Have some Reelism a day (in my timezone anyway) early, because why the hell not?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
I actually just finished playing Reelism and I think won my second game?

The boss and I died at about the same time and at first, the game counted it as a loss. But after a few moments, the post-game stats changed into what I got a screenshot of and counted it as a win since (I assume) the boss' death animation didn't finish until I got to the stat screen. I dunno if this should be considered a bug, but it was pretty interesting to see it happen.

But yeah, everyone go download Reelism now. :)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Obeast posted:

The boss and I died at about the same time and at first, the game counted it as a loss. But after a few moments, the post-game stats changed into what I got a screenshot of and counted it as a win since (I assume) the boss' death animation didn't finish until I got to the stat screen. I dunno if this should be considered a bug, but it was pretty interesting to see it happen.

The game shows the victory screen when the boss is killed. I have KILL monsters bound to K so I can hit it after I die to exact revenge on god drat everything.

One time I died during a boss battle, so I hit it. Then the victory screen showed up. v:v:v

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008
I love the Instant Discharge Cannon. I also love what happens when you fire it while Gunfinity is active.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Obeast posted:

But yeah, everyone go download Reelism now. :)
Hmm! The game actually puts you in God Mode when you kill a boss outside of Infinte Mode to avoid this. I'm guessing you died and then a fatal blow was dealt to the boss. I'll have to account for this...

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

The Kins posted:

Hmm! The game actually puts you in God Mode when you kill a boss outside of Infinte Mode to avoid this. I'm guessing you died and then a fatal blow was dealt to the boss. I'll have to account for this...
Yeah, what happened was that I dropped a bunch of exploding barrels that you shoot near the boss and shot at them a few times before getting killed by either a regular enemy or the explosions from the barrels (a lot of stuff was going on at the time and I don't remember what the "player was killed by" text said). I did see them start to blow up, and the boss starting his death animation between the point when I died and when the postgame stats started, so I think the barrels got him after I died.

I hope you don't think I'm complaining about this, because I'm not since the rest of the game is great. If anything, I thought it was actually pretty awesome watching the game go from telling me I lost to telling me I won. :)

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I'm sort of hoping that System Shock 2 sells so well on GoG that it makes EA take notice and finally make a move to buy back the rest of the rights. It will never happen, and if it did the best we'd get is an EA-produced System Shock franchise, but a man can dream.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
System Shock 2 has landed at GOG, as previously threatened. :10bux:, 363 MB, soundtrack, pitch document, creepy stuttery lady voice, etc.

Embarrassing Admission Time: I don't really like scary games very much because I'm an enormous puss. Once it's clear what mods this version needs to shine (I know it's been tweaked to run on modern OSes out of the box) I'll slap it in the OP.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's a bit weird to see something like "©1999 Star Insurance Company" on a video game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

It's a bit weird to see something like "©1999 Star Insurance Company" on a video game.
Yeah, I was thinking that too! I wonder if there's any versions of that one Amalur game with something like "© 2012 The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" on it?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

System Shock 2 has landed at GOG, as previously threatened. :10bux:, 363 MB, soundtrack, pitch document, creepy stuttery lady voice, etc.

Embarrassing Admission Time: I don't really like scary games very much because I'm an enormous puss. Once it's clear what mods this version needs to shine (I know it's been tweaked to run on modern OSes out of the box) I'll slap it in the OP.

There's a decent newbie modding guide on SystemShock.org that I link to (and discuss briefly) here.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Is there a place to see this guide without having to sign up for yet another message board that I'm never going to post on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Is there a place to see this guide without having to sign up for yet another message board that I'm never going to post on?

I could repost it here, but all of the mod files are hosted on that site as well. Normally they don't require registration but they're getting completely hammered right now with the release of SS2. They'll probably open it back up again once things quiet down.

I can re-host the mod files themselves, but they'll take a few hours to upload on my lovely connection.