Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

GreenCard78 posted:

There is. That's a screen shot of the NYT's Mapping America. It's posted in this thread and interactive for all kinds of census data.

Holy christ, I dunno why I didn't click that link when I clicked the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Bodymore, Murdaland. A pretty accurate map in general, the funniest one is the "white people who wear clothes and drive cars from the 90s" or maybe North Avenue getting labeled as "nothing but trouble."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GreenCard78 posted:

To add to this, don't minorities in Europe tend to live in the suburbs as opposed to the inner city? I've never been to Europe, though.

That's how it works in France, don't know about other countries.

There's no census data though, as there's a law proscribing taking racial/ethnic information in censuses.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Really? That's crazy. Here not only do they have to take a census every ten years but they have to count every person literally rather than using sampling data which could be more accurate.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Here's a fun map of the city of San Diego:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

GreenCard78 posted:

Really? That's crazy. Here not only do they have to take a census every ten years but they have to count every person literally rather than using sampling data which could be more accurate.

Oh there are censuses, just no Ethnicity/Race section in them.

They can't ask you if you're White, Black etc...I think they can't ask you your religion either.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 11, 2013

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

Are you a person or a blob?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

GreenCard78 posted:

To add to this, don't minorities in Europe tend to live in the suburbs as opposed to the inner city? I've never been to Europe, though.

Well the inner cities in major European cities tend to be historical locales where no one but the stinking rich live, but it depends on the size of the city, migration patterns and infrastructure. London has a lot of interesting layers of current and former minority communities. By comparison, in places like Sweden or Finland where mass immigration is a more recent phenomenon, poor immigrants live in shoddily built housing blocks in the suburbs.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
In France the banlieues replaced slums in the 1970s:

Slum of Nanterre, on the outskirts of Paris.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 11, 2013

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
sweet home polypotania

Speaking of Jefferson:

quote:

In October 1941, the mayor of Port Orford, Oregon, Gilbert Gable, announced that the Oregon counties of Curry, Josephine, Jackson, and Klamath should join with the California counties of Del Norte, Siskiyou, and Modoc to form a new state, later named Jefferson.[4]
On November 27, 1941, a group of young men gained national media attention when, brandishing hunting rifles for dramatic effect, they stopped traffic on U.S. Route 99 south of Yreka, and handed out copies of a Proclamation of Independence, stating that the state of Jefferson was in "patriotic rebellion against the States of California and Oregon" and would continue to "secede every Thursday until further notice."[5]
The secession movement came to an abrupt end, though not before John C. Childs of Yreka was inaugurated as the governor of the State of Jefferson.[6] The first blow was the death of Mayor Gable on December 2, followed five days later by the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7. Secessionists focused their efforts on the war effort, which crippled the movement. Coincidentally, the "state of Jefferson" was one of the few places in the continental USA to be the subject of an attack during World War II, when Japanese pilot Nobuo Fujita dropped bombs on the Oregon Coast near Brookings on September 9, 1942.[7]

Aaaaaabsaroka! No seriously wind sweeping down the plains is the only thing we got.

quote:

Absaroka, named after the Absaroka Range, was an area in the United States, comprising parts of the states of Montana, South Dakota, and Wyoming, that contemplated secession and statehood in 1939.[1] One of the leaders of the secessionist movement was A. R. Swickard, the street commissioner of Sheridan, Wyoming, who appointed himself "governor" and started hearing grievances in the "capital" of Sheridan.[2]
In a craze for state secession felt by the public, state automobile license plates bearing the name were distributed, as well as pictures of "Miss Absaroka 1939".[3]
The movement was unsuccessful and fairly short-lived. The chief record of its existence comes from the Federal Writers' Project, which included a story about the plan as an example of Western eccentricity.[4]

SombreroAgnew fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 12, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SombreroAgnew posted:

Aaaaaabsaroka! No seriously wind sweeping down the plains is the only thing we got.

Population: 351,000

Clearly a good idea

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SombreroAgnew posted:

Oh thank god I can stop acknowledging that Gillette is a part of Wyoming. Still a shame that we lost Yellowstone :smith:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

SombreroAgnew posted:

Speaking of Jefferson:

There's a bunch of different configurations for Jefferson. The ones in deep red are the counties included in the original 1941 succession movement, the counties in light red are those that have since identified with the movement.

A better map of all the different counties:

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
Slave population in the southern states, according to the 1860 census. 5.5MB PDF from census.gov

The heaviest shaded regions are those where 80% or more of the population was enslaved.

quote:

The map was created to understand the secession crisis, by providing a visual link between secession and slavery. The mapmakers consciously limited the map to just the Southern states, including the Border States of Maryland, Virginia, and Kentucky, but not the Western slave states of Nebraska, New Mexico, and Utah. During and after the war, the map then could be used by the Union to argue that the destruction of the Confederacy meant the destruction of slavery. There is a strong message in the banner at the top of the map that reads “For the Sick and Wounded Soldiers of the U.S. Army.”

According to artist Francis Bicknell Carpenter, this map was frequently consulted by President Abraham Lincoln in considering the relationship between emancipation and military strategy. Carpenter took up residence at the White House in February 1864 to paint President Lincoln, after he was inspired by Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation. Carpenter wrote that Lincoln would look at the map and send his armies to free blacks in some of the highest density areas in order to destabilize Southern order.

Carpenter painted the map into symbolic significance in his painting First Reading of the Emancipation Proclamation of President Lincoln, which is now located in the U.S. Capitol. In this painting, Carpenter captures the moment Lincoln announces his decision for emancipation to his cabinet. The slave density map is purposely placed in the corner, demonstrating the weight of this proclamation in graphic and statistical terms.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

Ammat The Ankh posted:

When you post these Ethnographic maps, could you also put down what city it is? I can recognize Amarkov's as San Jose, but I have no idea where Senor Gato's is.

Sorry, it's Fort Lauderdale/Broward County. Parts of Palm Beach County at the top and Miami-Dade at the bottom, as well.

Mast
Dec 1, 2007

AlexG posted:

Slave population in the southern states, according to the 1860 census. 5.5MB PDF from census.gov

The heaviest shaded regions are those where 80% or more of the population was enslaved.

and here's the 2008 presidential election:

http://deepseanews.com/2012/06/how-presidential-elections-are-impacted-by-a-100-million-year-old-coastline/

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

AlexG posted:

:stare:

That... can't be coincidental!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

dsriggs posted:

It isn't. A lot of former slave-heavy regions still have large black populations left over.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

dsriggs posted:

If you really want to blow your mind, you need to look even further back in history (way too many maps there to inline and explain them all; just read the article).

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

arhra posted:

If you really want to blow your mind, you need to look even further back in history (way too many maps there to inline and explain them all; just read the article).

I know its trendy to hate on "Guns, Germs, and Steel" or to harp about it excessively, but this is pretty much the best argument for environmental determinism ever. Look at that poo poo. Its loving weird to know that the movement of the seas and glaciers millions of years ago has such a profound impact today.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Well it appears Georgetown is as poor as SW DC!

The gradient here isn't distinctive enough. With that metro area map up in the corner, I know for a fact that the Virginia counties are both at least 2 to 3 times more wealthy in terms of household income than Prince George's County, MD (black majority, NE of DC).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

De Nomolos posted:

Colleges screw up income maps. They have a lot of people who appear poor on paper but live reasonably well on what basically amounts to unreported income (parents, loans, financial aid).

withak fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 13, 2013

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Red_Mage posted:

I know its trendy to hate on "Guns, Germs, and Steel" or to harp about it excessively, but this is pretty much the best argument for environmental determinism ever. Look at that poo poo. Its loving weird to know that the movement of the seas and glaciers millions of years ago has such a profound impact today.

How is what you posted an argument for environmental determinism?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Radbot posted:

See those maps a couple of posts above it, where the slave concentration and Democratic vote in the Deep South line up perfectly with the coastline in that picture? It's because the limestone formed off the coast proved to be... gently caress it, just read the article he literally quoted.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the problem is that usually the term is used to discuss the development of civilizations. These maps are more of a interesting correlation between favorable geology and agriculture conducive to slavery, and then a correlation between past slavery and present political opinion.

The people voting democrat didn't just happen to set up a civilization there thousands of years ago and are currently dealing with the consequences; they were forcibly dragged there in the relatively recent past.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

withak posted:

I think the problem is that usually the term is used to discuss the development of civilizations. These maps are more of a interesting correlation between favorable geology and agriculture conducive to slavery, and then a correlation between past slavery and present political opinion.
How is what that not a part of the "development of civilizations"?

quote:

The people voting democrat didn't just happen to set up a civilization there thousands of years ago and are currently dealing with the consequences; they were forcibly dragged there in the relatively recent past.
Yeah but they were forcibly dragged there in particular because of geological conditions that were created over millions of years. They weren't dragged to the middle of the arid Mojave desert, for example, or New England with its short growing season.

Regardless of the merits of environmental determinism, that map/article is a good example of how geological conditions can shape human history in subtle ways.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 13, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I guess it usually seems to refer to far longer time scales than this.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

The gradient here isn't distinctive enough. With that metro area map up in the corner, I know for a fact that the Virginia counties are both at least 2 to 3 times more wealthy in terms of household income than Prince George's County, MD (black majority, NE of DC).

The funny thing about PG is it's the wealthiest black majority county or city in the country with nearly 900,000 people, slightly more than two thirds of which are black and an average household income of around $80,000. It's got one of the biggest divides of wealth in the region.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Red_Mage posted:

I don't think it's trendy - it's just because Mitt Romney did a jerkass citing of it in Israel at the same time he said that GDP/Capita is a measure of human value. Great book - pro-read.

Radbot posted:

That geography would significantly change human history from Columbus onward.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
If GGS were just the claim that "geography influences civilization" then no one would have a problem with it. The controversy comes from claims like Europe advanced past China because Europe has mountains and China is a big flat plain, or that Eurasians became more advanced than Africans because Eurasia runs East-West and Africa runs North-South.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tractor fanatic posted:

If GGS were just the claim that "geography influences civilization" then no one would have a problem with it. The controversy comes from claims like Europe advanced past China because Europe has mountains and China is a big flat plain, or that Eurasians became more advanced than Africans because Eurasia runs East-West and Africa runs North-South.

The North South thing is important in extremely thin places like mesoamerica where latitude created huge differences in climate, diet, etc on up that might have worked to discourage a lot of interaction.

East west = more contiguous land that your way of life/technology can succeed in. If it wasn't 10k miles of steppe across asia I doubt the mongols would have made it very far on horseback.

The problem, as you say, comes when you base your whole theory of the modern balance of power on it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
His claim that China had significant fleets until the Emperor banned them is interesting - it suggested that the unified sociopolitical structure of China prevented it from discovering America before Europe.

US Urban Areas:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

McDowell posted:

His claim that China had significant fleets until the Emperor banned them is interesting - it suggested that the unified sociopolitical structure of China prevented it from discovering America before Europe.

As far as I know, this is true. The emperor feared that exploration would unleash social forces for change that he wouldn't be able to control, and so he destroyed the fleet and banned exploration. He was probably right about that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, it's not a claim. Zheng He's fleets were doing extensive exploration until the new emperor banned it. It's possible they would've gotten to the Americas at some point in the 1400s prior to Columbus, had they continued.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I thought the Emperor banned the ships because he wanted to differentiate himself from his predecessor as it was apparently an uneasy transition. Also, I wonder how much Zheng He's death had to do with the decline of China's interest in exploration.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not sure the reason, which is embarrassing because I just read about this. The result either way was the end of Chinese exploration and a return to a more isolated policy.

Squidactyl
Mar 12, 2006
Pre-Columbian Goodness!

Deteriorata posted:

As far as I know, this is true. The emperor feared that exploration would unleash social forces for change that he wouldn't be able to control, and so he destroyed the fleet and banned exploration. He was probably right about that.

It's important to remember that the purpose of this fleet wasn't so much exploration as it was seeking tribute from China's Eurasian neighbors. The ultimate decision to end them was one based largely on cost, using the money instead to address domestic issues.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What do we really take away from all this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNgbZMEr8FA

Cartography is an interesting protoscience.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I remember reading something about the pulling back of the Ming fleets resulting from a concern over increased nomadic activity on the north/western frontier. The gist of the article was that China was in a 200 year swing from land to naval power, however, so I'm sure the author was trying to pump up his argument a little bit.

e: Just taking that at face value, it would support the geography is destiny argument. Less food in Siberia=less Zheng He=Pizzaro gets Mexico and not the Ming sorry Huangdi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

McDowell posted:

Cartography is an interesting protoscience.

There are a decent amount of geographers who would argue that geography is an "original science" and that a wide array of other sciences are spin offs of geography. In a nut shell, people wanted to know where things were, like a good plain to hunt animals, forage food or plant some grains, and from there some people would pick up a specialization. The main group would need to know "where" about something else and go from there. Everything is tied in spatial relation.

Cartography is more about making maps pretty and accurate. Where are all the necessary scale bars and north arrows in many of these maps? For shame. :argh:

Have a wet dream of a rail transportation system

:allears: