Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams

alchahest posted:

The main issue with the Teraph is that it does everything better than average for legion, with the exception of dealing damage. It has spd6, def13, mat and rat 6 (huge for legion), combined with advance deploy, pathfinder, dig in, and a decent defensive statline (def13/arm16).

The problem is that it's ranged attack, while being a respectable pow13 AoE3, does not have enough range to compete with legion's other shooting options - and it's pow 12 reach melee attack similarly doesn't stack up against other options in faction. that said, it is a solid beast in most ways.

That said, thagrosh is one of the few casters we have who can make really good use of the animus, either to get a spray off and toast a few guys, or, my favorite thing, to smack the first guy to charge you and create an autodamaging cloud to both block LOS and incentivize not charging Big T.

Also incubi are great, but oftentimes it's hard to justify taking them unless you're already spending a lot of points on infantry. and with Legion, that's not hugely common.

Good point about counterblast with Thag, I may have to try that. I'm not sure how the extra point of RAT makes Teraph a great beast, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ted Theodore Logan
May 10, 2007
If we hit that bull’s-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
How do people feel about the Menoth order of the fist solo? I was thinking to get one as an objective holder/assassin in my Severius list. Basicly cast defenders ward on him then let him run up and give himself shifting sands stance and sit him on the objective. Not many ranged attacks that I can think of that can hit a def 19 target easily.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I have heard good things but have never used him. In a faction of fantastic solos, he is hard pressed to compete.

I usually put Def War on my Errant brick since with Rhupert's Dirge of mists they jump to Def 15 Arm 18 with Terror. Makes clearing them out even more a pain in the rear end.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
On that note, anyone used Nicia much? I like the model and I'll be trying her out, but after mostly having a big slow wall of jacks to do things with I'm not really sure about fast stabby solos.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Played small winter guard force with eSorscha against Madrakk today. Man, I envy trollbloods and their loving all-solo forces, they can nip around terrain and my soldiers like nobody's business, while I stumble all over myself trying to clear charge lanes and get some rifle shots in. gently caress this poo poo :sigh:

On the plus side, I got to kill a healthy dire troll in one attack after popping Sorschas feat and hitting the fucker for 28 damage after ARM. It felt like.. home :unsmith:

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Say what you will about eSorscha, but every time you one-shot a heavy, you feel like a rock star. Then you do something like 1-shot Terminus on ARM 30 and you feel like a boss. :colbert:

As for those Menoth solos, the Punch-Kicker monk (aka, Order of the Fist) I've seen used as a reinforcement last year because he can sit in a zone with that defensive stance of his and be super annoying to remove. Not sure how he'll go this year now that reinforcements, but I've heard he's decent in a Harby Solo-Spam list.

As for Nicia, I haven't seen her much after the inital hype, but she can move through Menoth warjacks with Acrobatics, so she can do stuff like hide behind jack walls and charge through. That or use her with Harby in, again, Solo-Spam.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ashcans posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I would love to get Galleon to give my Mercs some serious hitting ability, he brings a lot to the table that we've been lacking. But I also don't want to be that guy always playing a dick list no one wants to see. So what's up with him that makes it no fun?

Bringing him doesn't make you a dick, even when it's Bart + Galleon, I just don't think it's any fun to play against at all. There's really nothing to the list, you're just playing chicken with how well your opponent can roll his dice for Galleons guns.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Kung Fu Monks are awesome, their biggest problem as someone pinged earlier in the thread is that the 2pt slot is quite competitive in Menoth, so he gets left on the shelf a lot. He works great without any support though and can be a right bastard to get off objectives.

Nicia is great too, but I find myself taking her with Warcasters that can help her threat range even further, so namely, Harbinger, Thyra or Vindictus. I love her with Vinnie, True Path is obscene on her, especially when followed up by Doors of Judgement if she doesn't get back far enough from her kill run. I find her best going after support staff or double tapping light Warbeasts. Great fun watching her rip into a Shepherd, and Quick Working into the next one before sprinting back.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Excelsiortothemax posted:

So at 25 points, how does Menoth deal with a Stormwall?

I hit that thing as hard as I could with a fully charged Avatar and a bonded Reckoner and he still had enough to wreck my poo poo.

Suggestions?

Play a caster with purification, use gorman on it, harm it with a&h, send in choired up Avatar. If possible, just walk up to it and start beating on it, charging it is a waste of focus if you don't have to.

Finish with zealot bombs, to taste.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

In a magical land, I will one day get a 3 focus Scourge of Heresy to walk into a Arcane Shielded Stormwall with Hymm of Battle up and Harm.

I will be the happiest clam.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So, I hear Warmachine actually has some decent-looking warjacks now. Any info about the new clockwork faction except that one video?

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent

Amateur Sketch posted:

Good point about counterblast with Thag, I may have to try that. I'm not sure how the extra point of RAT makes Teraph a great beast, though.

Oh, it's not the extra point of rat, it's the extra rat, the AoE, the advance deploy, reach, and decent defensive stats. It's not a great beast, so much as it's a better beast than people give it credit for.

Now the Raek is a great beast, it's fast, great defense, stealth, and two initials allow it to hunt it's main prey (infantry and solos) with ease. It's also cheap enough that you can throw one away to tie up entire ranged units to prevent shooting.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The problem with going against the galleon is that with broadsides bart and a bullsnapper, it is ARM 25ish and doing damage to you each time you hit it, so your warbeasts are going to kill themselves trying to take the stupid thing out if you don't have upkeep/animi removal.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
So you do what everyone's been doing for years and get some beater infantry in there to do the job. Or at least start the job.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

alchahest posted:

So you do what everyone's been doing for years and get some beater infantry in there to do the job. Or at least start the job.

When I'm playing circle...yeah, thats not going to happen. Don't think there are any infantry capable of hurting that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

When I'm playing circle...yeah, thats not going to happen. Don't think there are any infantry capable of hurting that.

pBaldur is pretty much the only caster that can reliably deliver anything to it on Barts feat turn, too. Spam blessed on your bloodtrackers with the + str buff with him and see how that goes, hah :v:

Really wish the Woldwrath had blessed on his fists, that would really help. Actually, pureblood + Woldwrath might not be the worst thing in the world. Hmm. I'll have to try that out.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 14, 2013

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

S.J. posted:

pBaldur is pretty much the only caster that can reliably deliver anything to it on Barts feat turn, too. Spam blessed on your bloodtrackers with the + str buff with him and see how that goes, hah :v:

Really wish the Woldwrath had blessed on his fists, that would really help. Actually, pureblood + Woldwrath might not be the worst thing in the world. Hmm. I'll have to try that out.

Hmmm, is it mind or spirit that WW has ridiculously little of? I guess losing your mind doesn't matter much for punching a galleon under batten.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Hmmm, is it mind or spirit that WW has ridiculously little of? I guess losing your mind doesn't matter much for punching a galleon under batten.

It shouldn't matter either way since Baldur can just heal it.

Man, I really hope Wolds get something to make them more viable in Gargantuans.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

S.J. posted:

It shouldn't matter either way since Baldur can just heal it.

Man, I really hope Wolds get something to make them more viable in Gargantuans.

I was more thinking of you knocking the aspect off hy hitting the galleon with spiny growth, as I don't believe blessed let's you ignore that damage.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

I was more thinking of you knocking the aspect off hy hitting the galleon with spiny growth, as I don't believe blessed let's you ignore that damage.

Ohhh, right. Yeah. It's an average of 12 damage from spiny growth which by itself doesn't take anything out, so.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Khisanth Magus posted:

The problem with going against the galleon is that with broadsides bart and a bullsnapper, it is ARM 25ish and doing damage to you each time you hit it, so your warbeasts are going to kill themselves trying to take the stupid thing out if you don't have upkeep/animi removal.

I don't own Bart or the Bullsnapper combo, so its unlikely I would be fielding him that way for a while! (Because if I am saving up for Galleon I'm not getting those dudes any time soon either). Playing him under a different list probably makes him less scary to deal with. Although I would probably get to the Bart+Spiny Growth if I was trying to really compete.

I don't know, it doesn't sound like he's that bad to face, especially compared to everything else you run into in this game - and its not like Mercs are bursting with heavy hitters, anyway. When people say something is no fun, I think of Sorscha's MKI feat, which was basically 'Hey gently caress you and all your army, skip a turn'. I don't care if something makes it difficult for me, so long as I can still do something and roll some dice. Stuff that totally removes your ability to act is terrible because then its like why am I here and not taking a piss while you wreck my poo poo?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

S.J. posted:

Woldwrath with Blessed can definitely take out Galleon in two turns, but if he's standing next to Galleon and Snapjaw is right there (which he will be), he probably won't make it that long, especially if he's been taking a little bit of fire on the way in. It's a game, anyway.

Alternatively, if the Pureblood somehow survives on the way in, and Baldur can cast Wraithbane on him, that's another ~15 damage on top of the Woldwrath's ~42, which will be enough as often as it isn't.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 14, 2013

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010
Are there any factions that are currently really gimped or hard to play effectively?

I think I may get a starter set, and although all factions have their appeal I want to make sure I don't grab the total underdog and have a horrible time getting started.

First impressions go a long way and I don't want to start in a bad note!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

You'll be behind the curve if you go with Minions.

Other than that, they're, by and large, on an even par.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, Mercs and Minions are balanced for other factions so they tend to be on the weaker side. Everyone else is A-OK though!

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010
Aha, so I will avoid Mercs and Minions for now then. Thanks guys!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Mercs aren't really behind the curve, it's more that you need to own a significantly larger percentage of the models in the faction to be able to handle all of the possible angles out there. Minions have the same problem except it's magnified because there's no overlap at all between the two halves of the faction and there are still a couple of questions tey don't have answers for. But as a new player that shouldn't be your concern anyway and I don't think playing Mercs (if that's the army you think looks/sounds the coolest) will result in losing more games than playing anything else.

Pick the army you like the look of the best. Then within that army, find the models or style you're most interested in and build around them. If you DO go Mercs, though, ask around a little before you start buying up stuff, because some Merc units and jacks are the best in the game and others are sort of stinkers. That's relatively unusual for this game.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 14, 2013

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know, as someone who started out with Mercs and stuck with it I do feel like I had a tougher uphill climb than many of my friends who went with other factions. It might be less of an issue for someone starting now though, because Mercs (and lesser extent Minions) have a much larger stable of choices to draw from. I started in MkI when your choices were pretty slim and there was a lot of stuff that could gently caress you.

Having said that, I agree that picking a faction that appeals to you in more than just competitiveness is a good idea - there is no point getting a bunch of miniatures you don't really like the look of for a faction that you find dull just because they are trending better than the ones you're really excited about. One of the reasons I have stuck with Mercs all this time is that none of the other factions interest me nearly as much; there's no way I am going to buy and paint a whole bunch of Menoth stuff just because they run jacks better than Mercs and I like jacks, for instance. Because I don't like their jacks.

If you do go with Minions/Mercs, it pays to be careful and keep in mind that not everything in the factions can work together. This is actually pretty clear with Minions (you're basically picking Gators or Pigs) but it can be pretty confusing for Mercs - so talk to people or just ask here, to make sure you don't end up with a half-dozen different things that you can't actually put on the table together.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
A guy at our hobby club is looking to sell his Cryx army but he never part out an army, its all or nothing. I don't blame him and he usually has his armies loaned out to people who want to try them out. I friend of mine who is interested in starting Warmachine and likes Cryx wants to buy his army but, he's a teenager and can't just drop the kind of money to buy what amounts to an entire faction. I'm excited about Convergence coming out and I'm still building on my Ret army but I wouldn't mind having the pirate style dude from Cryx and it would help my friend out in getting into the game.

Are the revenant units fun to play with and which caster works best with them. Asphyxious is out since he is the main reason my friend was interested in Cryx to start with. Also would it be possible to build a decent army from the Cryx pirates and Merc pirates?

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum

Sulecrist posted:

If you DO go Mercs, though, ask around a little before you start buying up stuff, because some Merc units and jacks are the best in the game and others are sort of stinkers. That's relatively unusual for this game.

So what merc units are so good? Would an all or mostly pirate list be worth a poo poo? The nautical jacks look rad as heck, plus that big 'ol cannon.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

All of the Merc Pirate units and solos are great, including the big ol' cannon.

Pirates excepted, the awesome, fit-everywhere Merc units are:
-Cylena Raefyll & Nyss Hunters
-Greygore Boomhowler & Co.
-Horgenhold Forge Guard
-Lady Aiyana & Master Holt

There are other great ones but those four, especially Nyss Hunters and Boomhowlers, are just fantastic, and if you ever start a second faction there's a good chance you'll use them there, too. Aiyana and Holt are more like solos that work together but they'll go into even more lists than those other three. And now that I think about it, they're pirates!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BoBtheImpaler posted:

So what merc units are so good? Would an all or mostly pirate list be worth a poo poo? The nautical jacks look rad as heck, plus that big 'ol cannon.

The pirate troops and solos are a very formidable attrition block that can act independently of the warcaster, however the pirate 'jacks aren't all that good. The commodore cannon is amazing, though, and half the reason you use Shae.

Mercenaries are a very viable faction, though a bit expensive to play since you have to have seperate everything in your lists due to character restrictions. They have some really good casters like Damiano and Ashlynn and are very viable.

Minions are sort of two mini-factions(pigs and gators), that, in order to have a chance in a two-list tournament, you have to play both. Maybe Rask will change that and let you play just gators, but a new caster isn't going to save the pigs, whose troops are impossible to deliver up the field intact.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, steam-elf ninjas!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I've been playing Shae a lot recently and while I generally end up playing with points a bit here and there, my core list is

A Pirate's Life (Tier 3)
Shae +6
Buccaneer 3
Nomad 6

Bosun Grogspar 2(1)
Doc Killingsworth 2(1)
First Mate Hawk 2(1)
Lord Rockbottom 2(1)

Lady Aiyana and Master Holt 4
Press Gangers (Lass & 9 grunts) 6
Sea Dog Crew (Leader & 9 grunts) 8
- Mr. Walls, the Quartermaster 2
- Sea Dog Rifleman 1
- Sea Dog Rifleman 1
The Commodore Cannon & Crew 4
Sea Dog Deck Gun 2

Basically I have a few points left that end up going into the deck gun, which I probably don't really need. If Dirty Meg was better I'd probably swap the deck gun out for one more rifleman and her, but she's not and hey, bonus cannon. There's also plenty of 'jacks that could eat up those one or two points upgrading the Bucc, but this list is just not about the jacks.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Chance II posted:

A guy at our hobby club is looking to sell his Cryx army but he never part out an army, its all or nothing. I don't blame him and he usually has his armies loaned out to people who want to try them out. I friend of mine who is interested in starting Warmachine and likes Cryx wants to buy his army but, he's a teenager and can't just drop the kind of money to buy what amounts to an entire faction. I'm excited about Convergence coming out and I'm still building on my Ret army but I wouldn't mind having the pirate style dude from Cryx and it would help my friend out in getting into the game.

Are the revenant units fun to play with and which caster works best with them. Asphyxious is out since he is the main reason my friend was interested in Cryx to start with. Also would it be possible to build a decent army from the Cryx pirates and Merc pirates?

Revenants are great, but are often overlooked by the Banes. A min unit with 3 Riflemen and Captain Rengrave can be a fun and, if cleverly arranged, really hard to kill. Top casters are Aspyxious2, the Skarres, and Deneghra1. In other words, any Cryx casters can help out a bunch.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Since I'm a massive fluff:spergin:, I demand that Skarre be used in that situation, because she is a pirate.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fyrbrand posted:

Hey guys, steam-elf ninjas!

These dudes look loving sick nasty.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

S.J. posted:

These dudes look loving sick nasty.

Hopefully they'll be even more so with their Eiryss3 UA.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

VogeGandire posted:

Since I'm a massive fluff:spergin:, I demand that Skarre be used in that situation, because she is a pirate.

Ha yeah and I would think her auto knock down attack would make a freebooter a nice watch dog jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
So THAT'S the unit Eiryss3 is attaching to. Interesting. I'm guessing MAT 6, POW 11 reach and 9 non-reach, SPD 7, Stealth, Arcane Assassin, Pathfinder. Maybe CMA, but gang would be cool. Possibly even Ambush?

• Locked thread