Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Geez, how hard is it to get a Colorado Marijuana sales liscence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Ratoslov posted:

Geez, how hard is it to get a Colorado Marijuana sales liscence?

IIRC it is quite literally impossible for a few months. It is in WA at least, they will start issuing licenses with a small fee in June or so(like $200 IIRC) so you can sell weed then.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The way I understand it, Amendment 64 specifies that the state will begin accepting retail marijuana sales cards on - and not before - October 1st. So that's how hard it is.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Murder someone, get out in a few years. Sell weed, go to prison for life. God I love this country.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

veedubfreak posted:

Murder someone, get out in a few years. Sell weed, go to prison for life. God I love this country.

Actually its "get arrested for a felony with other felonies on your record," certainly a lovely set of laws that there are good reasons to oppose, but dealing drugs is very very rarely equiv to murder one (and that'd usually be if the drugs you were dealing killed someone, thats felony murder, which can be worse than murder one)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Luckily weed has never killed anyone. But we can set aside that fact and just keep putting people in prison.

Isn't all murder a felony?

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
There's a documentary floating around here somewhere and it interviews a dude who got life in prison for being caught with 3 oz of meth. This is why it's imperative to end the War on Drugs.

Also, shouldn't the title have been changed by now? :2bong:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

NathanScottPhillips posted:

There's a documentary floating around here somewhere and it interviews a dude who got life in prison for being caught with 3 oz of meth. This is why it's imperative to end the War on Drugs.

Also, shouldn't the title have been changed by now? :2bong:

Yeah, its The House I Live In. I posted about it earlier in the thread. Everyone should see it, it's absolutely the best Drug War doc I've seen.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Just got back from a local headshop. Brick and mortar building with windows and a telephone number. Spent $30 on a small pipe and grinder and got a free gift of 2g of AK47 buds. It actually weighed a little closer to an even 3g on my scale. No MMJ card required, just an ID to show you're over 21.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Just got back from a local headshop. Brick and mortar building with windows and a telephone number. Spent $30 on a small pipe and grinder and got a free gift of 2g of AK47 buds. It actually weighed a little closer to an even 3g on my scale. No MMJ card required, just an ID to show you're over 21.

If Irecall correctly, gifts are legal, but didn't think that translated to free weed at headshops.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

If Irecall correctly, gifts are legal, but didn't think that translated to free weed at headshops.

It may or may not, its kind of complicated. Basically giving away free weed with X purchase might or might not land them in trouble, depending on who's giving it, how much and who's asking. They really really really should just wait till July 1st (which is when the license availability is supposed to kick in in Colorado) because then there is no grey area whatsoever at the state level. As of right now, if the head shop is a sole proprietorship they might be alright, since it is effectively the owner giving personal presents to loyal customers, if it is any other sort of business, you might want to suggest they stop and/or lawyer up to find out if it is a good plan.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Personally, I think that they're smart and it's completely legal. I was BSing with the owner and told him that I came by solely to support him. No one else is really taking advantage of the law and I think that's pretty lame. Why can't I walk into a bar and buy an over priced beer and get some free bud to smoke? A couple out of state people stopped by too :cool:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Personally, I think that they're smart and it's completely legal. I was BSing with the owner and told him that I came by solely to support him. No one else is really taking advantage of the law and I think that's pretty lame. Why can't I walk into a bar and buy an over priced beer and get some free bud to smoke? A couple out of state people stopped by too :cool:

No one else is taking advantage of a psuedo-loophole that could get their business in trouble with the state (let alone the feds) ? Gee how weird. Seriously weed has been illegal for ~80 years, as a business its better to just loving wait it out till July, when your only worry is the feds. The short term profit from people keen to light up now that individual use is legal is not really worth the risk.

In other news, our Governor is trying to hash out some sort of plan to let our Liquor Control Board do what is legally required of them without getting hauled in on RICO charges. He just sent a public letter to AG Holder. One of the really standout things in it is the promise that Marijuana won't be leaving the state. I have no idea how they plan to secure the 200 miles of Idaho border, that'd take a lot of checkpoints.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 17, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Red_Mage posted:

One of the really standout things in it is the promise that Marijuana won't be leaving the state. I have no idea how they plan to secure the 200 miles of Idaho border, that'd take a lot of checkpoints.

No you see cannabis is illegal in Idaho so it can't get in.

For them to say otherwise would be an admission that prohibition does not do what it's meant to do.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Red_Mage posted:

I have no idea how they plan to secure the 200 miles of Idaho border, that'd take a lot of checkpoints.

Idaho goon here. As far as I can tell, the local Republicans really do not give a damp poo poo about this issue. The only ones excited about this are the Libertarians, and they're calling for legalization. I'd be more worried about the Utah-Colorado border, because Utah Republicans are kind of crazy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ratoslov posted:

Idaho goon here. As far as I can tell, the local Republicans really do not give a damp poo poo about this issue. The only ones excited about this are the Libertarians, and they're calling for legalization. I'd be more worried about the Utah-Colorado border, because Utah Republicans are kind of crazy.

That's also probably the reason that Idaho's going to keep it illegal (Mormons are crazy re: intoxicants).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Red_Mage posted:

I have no idea how they plan to secure the 200 miles of Idaho border, that'd take a lot of checkpoints.

poo poo, how would they even police the Oregon border? Even with a goddamn river separating us it would be impossible. What would they do? Stop every one of the hundreds of thousands of people commuting daily from Vancouver to Portland and back?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

800peepee51doodoo posted:

poo poo, how would they even police the Oregon border? Even with a goddamn river separating us it would be impossible. What would they do? Stop every one of the hundreds of thousands of people commuting daily from Vancouver to Portland and back?

No, but they can treat you like Ohio police treat people with Michigan plates.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

No, but they can treat you like Ohio police treat people with Michigan plates.

That's a level of hatred which can only be replicated in a football rivalry.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I had a meeting with Mike Reed this weekend, whose one of the bigger lawyers representing people in Seattle in our industry. I think he's going to be setting up my next expansion.

A few things I learned from the meeting;

-There's a 21 year old millionaire who I'm supposed to meet, who I'm kind of jealous of because goddamn I'm closing in on 30 and noone near that successful.
- Washington's latest estimates on how much we need to produce to meet just the local needs is, 89 Millions Grams per year.

Let me say that again, that's 189,000~ loving pounds. Just for the local economy. That number is blowing my mind.

-Seattle is good to go, basically it's by municipality at this point. Certain areas don't give a poo poo how big you go, other areas, like say Lynnwood or anything patrolled by the Sheriffs, well good luck.

-The Washington Sherrifs have a kangaroo style court where you basically get robbed by the Police. Any money, seriously, any money you have on you, they will take at least 35% of on avg. Like, you can literally get out of trouble if you don't try to claim whatever they took.

- There is an amazing assortment of characters in this industry, ex-bodyguards to Saudi Princes, former sherrifs, Microsofties, one of the founders of Progressive is even trying to get a cut from the industry via DUI's lol.

-Good Lawyers are expensive, but at the same time, they're understandable of the industry and basically playing it for the long game by getting points on the back end. So it's only costing me $3500/yr to have representation but it involves points. Tough decisions to make.

- You can pay for politicians furniture and house upgrades via campaign contributions. I kid you not.

I might make an ask/tell thread about my experiences over the next few months, but definitely will register a new name. As I no longer feel that comfortable talking about specifics of my business.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It's probably time for a new thread as well, or at the very least, a new title.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Morphix posted:

I had a meeting with Mike Reed this weekend, whose one of the bigger lawyers representing people in Seattle in our industry. I think he's going to be setting up my next expansion.

A few things I learned from the meeting;

-There's a 21 year old millionaire who I'm supposed to meet, who I'm kind of jealous of because goddamn I'm closing in on 30 and noone near that successful.
- Washington's latest estimates on how much we need to produce to meet just the local needs is, 89 Millions Grams per year.

Let me say that again, that's 189,000~ loving pounds. Just for the local economy. That number is blowing my mind.

-Seattle is good to go, basically it's by municipality at this point. Certain areas don't give a poo poo how big you go, other areas, like say Lynnwood or anything patrolled by the Sheriffs, well good luck.

-The Washington Sherrifs have a kangaroo style court where you basically get robbed by the Police. Any money, seriously, any money you have on you, they will take at least 35% of on avg. Like, you can literally get out of trouble if you don't try to claim whatever they took.

- There is an amazing assortment of characters in this industry, ex-bodyguards to Saudi Princes, former sherrifs, Microsofties, one of the founders of Progressive is even trying to get a cut from the industry via DUI's lol.

-Good Lawyers are expensive, but at the same time, they're understandable of the industry and basically playing it for the long game by getting points on the back end. So it's only costing me $3500/yr to have representation but it involves points. Tough decisions to make.

- You can pay for politicians furniture and house upgrades via campaign contributions. I kid you not.

I might make an ask/tell thread about my experiences over the next few months, but definitely will register a new name. As I no longer feel that comfortable talking about specifics of my business.

Please, do - this is incredibly engaging.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
I'm really curious to see how border issues work out, particularly along the Washington-Oregon border. When people in Portland can drive across to river to Vancouver, buy pot, and then drive back, how can that possibly be stopped? It seems like a state-by-state legalization approach is only going to accelerate over time.

Nov 7, 2012
I give terrible advice in E/N and post nothing worth anybody's time.

i might be a social cripple irl
It will, it's only a matter of time till broke states like Illinois realize we could be getting in on those sweet tax dollars rather than busting people smoking CO weed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

312 posted:

It will, it's only a matter of time till broke states like Illinois realize we could be getting in on those sweet tax dollars rather than busting people smoking CO weed.

Even Pennsylvania has a couple of state legislators who can walk and chew gum at the same time, and have thus managed to keenly discern the fact that the earth has apparently not yawned open to swallow Washington and Colorado down into hell. They're planning to introduce legalization bills, which will get about as far as down the hall before some (combination of) assholes begin to squawk loudly around in circles like Domestick Fowl in Perplexity and the whole thing gets poo poo-canned for another decade at least. Hell, you can't even buy beer at a gas station in this godforsaken state.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mdemone posted:

Even Pennsylvania has a couple of state legislators who can walk and chew gum at the same time, and have thus managed to keenly discern the fact that the earth has apparently not yawned open to swallow Washington and Colorado down into hell. They're planning to introduce legalization bills, which will get about as far as down the hall before some (combination of) assholes begin to squawk loudly around in circles like Domestick Fowl in Perplexity and the whole thing gets poo poo-canned for another decade at least. Hell, you can't even buy beer at a gas station in this godforsaken state.

Though the idea of state run dispensaries is hilarious.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

more friedman units posted:

I'm really curious to see how border issues work out, particularly along the Washington-Oregon border. When people in Portland can drive across to river to Vancouver, buy pot, and then drive back, how can that possibly be stopped? It seems like a state-by-state legalization approach is only going to accelerate over time.

Probably the same way alcohol from Oregon comes into Washington. If they pull you over and its clearly there you get in trouble, otherwise they just hope people are law abiding.

ProFootballGuy
Nov 6, 2012

by angerbot
It'll definitely be interesting to watch in WA and CO once the money starts flowing. Nothing makes things happen faster than when the cogs of industry, laywers, politicians, etc get moving in the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

hobbesmaster posted:

Though the idea of state run dispensaries is hilarious.

You will only be able to buy 6 marijuana cigarettes at a time, but can go in as many times as you want as long as you leave your previous purchase on the curb outside.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

When people in Portland can drive across to river to Vancouver, buy pot, and then drive back, how can that possibly be stopped?

Prohibition has never stopped the cannabis trade anyway. Why start worrying about this now?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KingEup posted:

Prohibition has never stopped the cannabis trade anyway. Why start worrying about this now?

I don't think you understand who he's talking about.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
First quarter earnings and tax revenues could very well magically remove Cannabis from schedule 1. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

I don't think you understand who he's talking about.

Please enlighten those of us that aren't from WA/OR.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

First quarter earnings and tax revenues could very well magically remove Cannabis from schedule 1. It's not out of the realm of possibility.

You'd better curb you enthusiasm. There's a lot of entrenched interests that will fight this war to the bitter end, and a lot of people out there that still believe their bullshit.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

KingEup posted:

I'm not personally worried, I support legalization. I was thinking in terms of what the federal reaction will be to state legalization attempts; border scenarios like Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA suggest that either the DEA/DOJ goes with the hard crackdown approach or they'll face creeping legalization. I'm betting they'll go after state governments with as much leverage as they can muster to get repeals, or possibly focusing exclusively on crushing any growers or major distributors that spring up.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The rumors that are apparently floating around the lawyer-sphere, is that Holder is supposed to reschedule it to 2 in Obama's last year. You know what that allows? Exports to European markets overnight. That's going to be the next gold rush apparently.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

focusing exclusively on crushing any growers or major distributors that spring up.

I think, at least under the Obama DoJ, they are probably going to go after major growers/distributors that are provably breaking the law by exporting to Oregon/Idaho (some of them will certainly do this). That said since Marijuana is 21+ a fairly easy fix for the Vancouver issue is to require not just an ID, but a Washington State ID to purchase cannabis in border towns. I mean it effectively won't do poo poo because you could just have a friend go purchase it for you, or buy it in not a border town, but it might put minds at ease on the federal level.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Morphix posted:

The rumors that are apparently floating around the lawyer-sphere, is that Holder is supposed to reschedule it to 2 in Obama's last year. You know what that allows? Exports to European markets overnight. That's going to be the next gold rush apparently.

Do you have any source for this?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Do you have any source for this?

Total hearsay at this point. Just seems to be that a lot of people in the industry, are apparently gearing up for said legislation. At least the bigger out of state players.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
My biggest fear is that the feds will do something like what Reagan did in the 80s where he withheld federal highway funding to states that didn't raise the drinking age to 21. That could potentially put the genie back in the bottle if state governments are forced to choose between weed money and federal funding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Brave New World posted:

Please enlighten those of us that aren't from WA/OR.

He's saying that there's no conceivable way to stem a potential flood of legal weed from Washington State into Oregon along a major commuter and long haul trucking route. The Oregon cops (who are supposed to enforce laws against marijuana) can't do poo poo to all of the hundreds of thousands of people who cross the state line around Portland daily.

• Locked thread