Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Please watch Comedy Bang! Bang!, an incredibly good show that aired last year on IFC and just got renewed for a 20 episode second season. It's a bizarre and hilarious satire of public access talk shows similar to The Eric Andre show, but with a higher budget and substantially more famous guest stars. The host is Scott Aukerman of Mr. Show and his Richter is Reggie Watts of music and gently caress poo poo Stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

scary ghost dog posted:

Please watch Comedy Bang! Bang!, an incredibly good show that aired last year on IFC and just got renewed for a 20 episode second season. It's a bizarre and hilarious satire of public access talk shows similar to The Eric Andre show, but with a higher budget and substantially more famous guest stars. The host is Scott Aukerman of Mr. Show and his Richter is Reggie Watts of music and gently caress poo poo Stack.

I watched the first two episodes and it did nothing for me. The second episode features a gag that is lifted straight from Hot Tub Time Machine. For the record I love the podcast. Does it get any better?

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Nice, I had no idea Comedy Bang Bang was on Netflix. I prefer Eric Andre, but still enjoy CBB.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Acrolos posted:

Nice, I had no idea Comedy Bang Bang was on Netflix. I prefer Eric Andre, but still enjoy CBB.

Speaking of, I really hope The Eric Andre show gets a second season.

Fake edit: Oh wow, I haven't watched the 45 minute NYE special either (featuring Kevin Sorbo, Sebasian Bach,John K, and other guests)

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Parachute posted:

Speaking of, I really hope The Eric Andre show gets a second season.

Fake edit: Oh wow, I haven't watched the 45 minute NYE special either (featuring Kevin Sorbo, Sebasian Bach,John K, and other guests)

Its great. I wish the advertising would have been better so we could have watched it live that night. I would have loved to celebrate with Eric Andre instead of Ryan Seacrest.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I went to an afterparty last summer that featured the Eric Andre show. Hannibal Buress squirted my fiancé with a super soaker full of mayonnaise. She is no longer a fan of the Eric Andre Show.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Toebone posted:

I went to an afterparty last summer that featured the Eric Andre show. Hannibal Buress squirted my fiancé with a super soaker full of mayonnaise. She is no longer a fan of the Eric Andre Show.

That wasn't mayonnaise, dude. Plus I'm pretty sure that counts as cheating.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

foodfight posted:

I watched the first two episodes and it did nothing for me. The second episode features a gag that is lifted straight from Hot Tub Time Machine. For the record I love the podcast. Does it get any better?

Every episode is gold but if the first few weren't for you, try picking an episode with a guest star you really like and watch that one. If you don't like the chemistry between Scott and Reggie then the show isn't for you.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Any suggestions for a good Valentines Day movie on Netflix or Hulu Plus?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Watched Barton Fink last night. I'll watch Raising Arizona and try and get through Miller's Crossing tonight. I know Crossing is well liked but I found it a little too...whimsical when I first tried viewing it. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

blakout posted:

Criterion's Picks this week on Hulu are "Love Gone Wrong." I plan on checking out The Night Porter myself.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Junkie Disease posted:

Chows been on a rejected project spree outside of CJ7. Its sad because God of Cookery and the rest need more love.

It would have been nice if his attempt to hit it big in America had been met with critical and commercial success (just look at what it did to Edgar Wright!) but after half a decade the only thing he has to show for it is dropping out of The Green Hornet and producing the forgettable Dragonball movie.

Him doing a treatment of the Journey to the West sounds like it has the potential for brilliance, though.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

After what I assume was Travolta, Cage, and Cruise sucking the soul out of John Woo I wish he was exiled to china after Hard Target. Heck look what we did to Jackie Chan! (not our fault)

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

blakout posted:

A double feature of Fatal Attraction and Basic Instinct.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

blakout posted:

Castaway on the Moon is beyond awesome, and highly appropriate for Val Day.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

blakout posted:

Blue Valentine; it's right in the title!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Blue Velvet would make a pretty good V-day movie. Be sure to grab your date and wheeze "BABY WANTS TO FUUUUUCCKKKK" in time with the film.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
How about a nice movie about a widower who decides that he needs to go on with his life so he has the wacky idea of holding a casting call for a fake movie in order to ask the girls questions to determine who would be the ideal future wife? If that sounds good than Audition is the Valentine's Day movie for you!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

axleblaze posted:

How about a nice movie about a widower who decides that he needs to go on with his life so he has the wacky idea of holding a casting call for a fake movie in order to ask the girls questions to determine who would be the ideal future wife? If that sounds good than Audition is the Valentine's Day movie for you!

Oh man, Audition is such a romantic movie; you won't be able to take your eyes off the female lead.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Thirding the recommendation for Audition. Probably the greatest love story told on film since Roman Holiday.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax
loving shame on all of you. Your going to let people watch that movie without warning them about the elephant in the room? WARNING Audition is in Japanese.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, but Audition is like Amelie in that the film is so whimsical and romantic that even people who usually don't care for subtitles will be able to look past it.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

oneof27 posted:

I didn't see it mentioned yet. Check out Alice from 2009. It's a 2 part miniseries of Alice in Wonderland. It's just about perfect. It takes a steamy dump on Tim Burton's movie.
Also, Matt Frewer.

It also has a very talented Andrew Lee Potts playing the mad hatter, my favorite version ever.

:allears:

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
y'all's some hateful motherfuckers.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover is another great Valentine's pick about a secret love affair. It's also gorgeously shot and has a lot of scenes in a restaurant, so be sure to watch it before dinner because you'll want to eat a lot after!

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Blue Velvet would make a pretty good V-day movie. Be sure to grab your date and wheeze "BABY WANTS TO FUUUUUCCKKKK" in time with the film.

Blue Velvet (or Videodrome) aren't available on Netflix, and that makes me sad. Pontypool is the best V-Day movie on Netflix right now.

Sidenote, check out the Danish film Clown. Very funny in all the worst ways.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
The Human Centipede is a great movie about people forming a very close bond and coming together. Some mild nudity, but not gratuitous. Check it out with your lady friends tomorrow night.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I tried to pull the Audition trick on an old roommate and she didn't trust me :mad:

"You don't like romantic movies, let me see the case!!" Busteeeed

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ChineseConnection posted:

Blue Velvet (or Videodrome) aren't available on Netflix, and that makes me sad. Pontypool is the best V-Day movie on Netflix right now.

Sidenote, check out the Danish film Clown. Very funny in all the worst ways.

I thought Klown was very boring in all the worst ways. I "got" it, but didn't enjoy it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Dear Zachery is a romantic comedy that all dudes and dudettes should watch on V-Day. Avoid spoilers.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The thing about Audition is it's really supposed to start out like a romantic comedy. It has an off tone but almost everything before the bag moves is still pretty straight forward romantic comedy stuff. Going in believing your in for a romantic comedy would pretty much make the movie amazing. I'm not picking it because it's an unpleasant movie, I'm picking it because it's a romantic comedy taken to a really hosed place.

So to summarize without spoiling anything, Audition is a great romantic comedy that you should go into blind. If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and do so!

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

The pacing is one of the things that makes Audition so great, I saw a review that called it a "swan dive into a pool of razor wire" or a "delightful comedic romp", for those who haven't seen it yet

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

I tried to pull the Audition trick on an old roommate and she didn't trust me :mad:

"You don't like romantic movies, let me see the case!!" Busteeeed
All the cover art I've seen really blows a big part of the plot, unfortunately.

May I recommend for Valentine's day: Bedevilled, an empowering and heartwarming story of a young woman cutting ties with a bad relationship and moving on with her life!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Aatrek posted:

Dear Zachery is a romantic comedy that all dudes and dudettes should watch on V-Day. Avoid spoilers.

LOL

On a serious note, Shakespeare in Love is a pretty good romantic flick.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Now I'm curious. Maybe not for Val-Day, but is Audition some kind of must see? I've never heard of it and I don't want to search for info about it and spoil myself.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Mescal posted:

Now I'm curious. Maybe not for Val-Day, but is Audition some kind of must see? I've never heard of it and I don't want to search for info about it and spoil myself.

It's pretty great. You should watch it.

edit: then again, I'm a pretty big sap, so take that as you will.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Audition fails as a romantic comedy as it is neither romantic or comedic. The parts you guys claim to be "relatively normal" involve a man holding fake movie auditions so he can deceptively isolate women he considers wife material. If it were shot like a romantic comedy and featured two charismatic leads, sure, it might be a slightly twisted romcom. Unfortunately both leads are off putting as hell and the main character's scheme comes off as massively unethical at best, so the entire first portion of the movie is suitably creepy unless its less creepy than you.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Mescal posted:

It's the only movie that has kept me up at night. Even saying this much about it kind of spoils it a bit, but I lay beside my wife for 30 minutes or so before I woke her up and made her promise not to kill me. True story.
I hated the movie after watching it the first time because of the visceral reaction it provoked, but after thinking about it more (and how it can be interpreted as an allegory for the male-female power struggle / shift in modern day Japan), I think it's a great film. The less you know going into it the better.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

scary ghost dog posted:

Audition fails as a romantic comedy as it is neither romantic or comedic. The parts you guys claim to be "relatively normal" involve a man holding fake movie auditions so he can deceptively isolate women he considers wife material. If it were shot like a romantic comedy and featured two charismatic leads, sure, it might be a slightly twisted romcom. Unfortunately both leads are off putting as hell and the main character's scheme comes off as massively unethical at best, so the entire first portion of the movie is suitably creepy unless its less creepy than you.

That reminds me of a somewhat obscure movie that I liked quite a bit when I was younger, Love Potion #9. It stars a young Sandra Bullock and is cute and funny until you realize that it's about being able to rape people.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can someone with an account tell me if The Haunting (1963) is available in the streaming library? My TCM copy got deleted by a family member and I was already thinking of subscribing for a month just to check out House of Cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicolini
Sep 22, 2007

I hate cold showers. They stimulate me and then I don't know what to do.
It's not, but you could always look for other titles on Instant Watcher in the future.

• Locked thread