Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

aca posted:

Anyone got any info on the buddistick? I'm looking for a cheap portable antenna I can throw up in my small backyard in my appartment complex. Can't really leave up an antenna so was thinking this antenna. Anyone have any thoughts?

I have one of these... To be honest these work okay if you have a railing or something to attach it to, but they aren't worth the money IMO. If you have the room, you're probably better off making a couple of dipoles for the bands you are interested in and throwing them up in trees temporarily. Much cheaper and much more efficient. A 15 meter dipole is only like 22 feet long.

If you don't have any trees though, then the buddistick will work fine for temporary use. You will just have to play with the counterpoise quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
APRS greybeards :siren:

I've mentioned my project in the electronics thread but this is a question about APRS tracker modules:
We need a tracker with high power output, good power saving and the ability to data-log the GPS position locally as well as transmitting it. Batteries will be external so we have the option of putting in a pretty big cell.

I looked at the Byonics Micro-trak RTG or similar solutions, the option with external GPS module would let me use a micro-controller to store the NMEA data to an SD card for later processing, does anyone have experiences with these? The 50W power output would be good for reaching across the sea in choppy conditions, otherwise we could find a small PA stage and use the smaller options.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

iostream.h posted:

Yaesu FT-1000D listed for $750,

This story is awesome and I am jealous for snagging that deal. Nice work.

I wanted to put the old 735 on my nightstand, just for some SWL/BC listening, so I built a little bitty L-network tuner last night using the case from an ATX power supply and an old air variable from a tube AM/FM console I just stripped. Some stolen speaker spring terminals, a chassis mount SO-239 out of an old CB, wound the coil out of CAT5 wire - it was a real slapdash affair. I just have a single C knob and a 3-way switch to switch coil taps. I did snag the old dial string and pulley setup out of the console, so it has a great 20:1 reduction for tuning.

It matches pretty well, it seems, but noise levels are high inside the house; I have my old 80M dipole hanging up just outside the window and am pondering just bringing it in with a $2 piece of TV twinlead or something simple like that. Or, maybe even simpler, just pull off the existing feedline, short the flat top and end feed, longwire style. Not sure yet. Real basic, RX only (though I think my tuner could easily handle 25W or so given the plate spacing) setup just trying to tune in some waves. I think there's a ground stake right outside the bedroom window for the phone drop; it won't be a great RF ground but it'll be alright for listening.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 15, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I ordered a Rapsberry Pi to use as an AirTunes audio output, but then I realized, this things probably powerful enough to run fldigi, and maybe completely replace the junker laptop I've been keeping around because ham apps don't ever run on a mac. (Not that linux will be much better, but I like the challenge of low-power computing too.)

Estimated delivery is still a month out. By that point I'm going to need a bunch more for random ideas.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 15, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A little bit of info and pics on the antenna tuner.

http://jonny290.tumblr.com/post/40652895492

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I want to play with digital modes a bit, what's the easiest way (mode) to get started? I've got my IC-7000 set up,with a RigBlaster Plug and Play and have HRD working on a Win7 laptop.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

iostream.h posted:

I want to play with digital modes a bit, what's the easiest way (mode) to get started? I've got my IC-7000 set up,with a RigBlaster Plug and Play and have HRD working on a Win7 laptop.

There's usually lots of PSK31 around. It's the only DX I've ever gotten and I didn't have to work hard to get it.

It does get boring when people just want to trade prewritten "macro" conversations, so I try to obviously type "freehand" hoping to get more human responses.

El Capo
Dec 1, 2012

Desde Colombia

eddiewalker posted:

There's usually lots of PSK31 around. It's the only DX I've ever gotten and I didn't have to work hard to get it.

It does get boring when people just want to trade prewritten "macro" conversations, so I try to obviously type "freehand" hoping to get more human responses.

Wait... PSK31 is the only mode you have ever made a DX contact??? We need to talk then... that is just wrong!

We will setup a schedule or something and I will work you from HK1 land on 20 meter phone. Jeez man.. that sucks!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

El Capo posted:

Wait... PSK31 is the only mode you have ever made a DX contact??? We need to talk then... that is just wrong!

I've heard voice pileups. I'm not interested in sitting through that for a log entry. Plus my antenna situation was poor, currently nonexistent (Thanks, wind.) PSK31 is easy to spot, easy to get a response.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Tune around for CQs or send one out yourself sometime. It's amazing who you might work.
A voice keyer helps though if you're "Hail Mary"-CQ'ing for minutes on end. My phone has a voice recorder so I just use that and the vox control on my radio.

eddiewalker posted:

the junker laptop I've been keeping around because ham apps don't ever run on a mac.
Good luck with the Pi, but I thought I should mention that I'm using Mac OS X with flDigi and RUMlog to cover my ham needs, including logging, QSL management, rig control and digital modes. The only department it is lacking in, is in propagation prediction; I've tried the demo version of DX Toolbox, and it's mainly a display program for data it downloads from the Internet, I can't enter solar indices into it and get propagation predictions out.

My only issue with my mac is that it washes out some bands when it's running from the power supply and the antenna is nearby; there's still some RFI when the power supply is unplugged, but I think I can hear anyone that can hear me. Soon I should get around to buying 30 meters of RG-213 so I can actually use my outdoor antenna while I'm indoors. I've been focusing on backpack operation so far, but while I'll bring my radio into the rain or -15 C cold, I won't subject my mac to that. If I get rich I'll get an IP45 rated netbook or something.

Vir fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 17, 2013

El Capo
Dec 1, 2012

Desde Colombia

eddiewalker posted:

I've heard voice pileups. I'm not interested in sitting through that for a log entry. Plus my antenna situation was poor, currently nonexistent (Thanks, wind.) PSK31 is easy to spot, easy to get a response.

For a portable radio I have an FT-897D and an FT-817. I have 2 different Chameleon Antennas. One is a dipole and the other is a vertical. I have, numerous times, worked Europe on 5 watts on my FT-817 with my $50 30ft dipole from San Andres Island in a hotel! If you ever have antenna questions let me know. The antenna situation is 90% important and will mean the difference between a contact and being in the noise. You can build a good antenna that works just as well as one that you spend $1000 on.

aca
Dec 19, 2004
heh

Dijkstra posted:

I have one of these... To be honest these work okay if you have a railing or something to attach it to, but they aren't worth the money IMO. If you have the room, you're probably better off making a couple of dipoles for the bands you are interested in and throwing them up in trees temporarily. Much cheaper and much more efficient. A 15 meter dipole is only like 22 feet long.

If you don't have any trees though, then the buddistick will work fine for temporary use. You will just have to play with the counterpoise quite a bit.

Well see the thing is I have no horizontal room at my place. So dipoles are out of the question... So can anyone offer me a cheap solution? I usually only like fooling around on the higher bands (20m 15m and 10m really)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Found my Kenwood F7e in a drawer at home. Took it into work and scanned across the bands with my best rubber duck antenna attached.

Net result: sweet gently caress all. Everything's on digital now on VHF/UHF, or pushing data over IP to cellular data terminal things. I proclaim the hobby dead (at least in the UK) - obviously there'll be stuff still on the amateur bands but I couldn't really devote the time to checking.

Sad :( Anyone in the UK want to buy my unit? It's modded to transmit out of band too!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

aca posted:

Well see the thing is I have no horizontal room at my place. So dipoles are out of the question... So can anyone offer me a cheap solution? I usually only like fooling around on the higher bands (20m 15m and 10m really)

I've been modeling a LOT of verticals over the past month, and the best I've found for a multiband higher HF antenna is the 18 foot (~5.5M) vertical. It's about .62-64 wavelength at 10 meters, max gain, and if you put a 100 pF cap and a little coil at the base, you can tune it from 29.5 MHz all the way down to 20M, giving you about 1 MHz 2:1 SWR bandwidth wherever you tune. Sizing it as such gives it a half-wavelength (the only bad match) right in the CB band, which you should avoid anyways.

Cool thing about this antenna is that it doesn't seem to be TOO picky about grounding and is actually very wideband. I modeled it with three 18ft radial wires, and it was only a dB or two off perfect ground.

The downside of the 'untuned verticals' is that you need a tuner at the base. They have TERRIBLE untuned matches when hooked directly to coax, and you'll waste a lot of power trying to match it remotely. I'm goofing off with a stepper motor and variable cap for my tuner box. If you size the coil right, you only need about 100 pF max capacitance to tune it through the full range.

The same concept can be applied to lower bands, and usually takes the form of a 43 foot vertical, which, like the 18-footer, is about .62 wavelength at its highest band (20M in its case). The 43 foot vertical is a POWERHOUSE on 20. Though, some guys are running them a little shorter, about 41 feet, for a bit lower angle, at the expense of reduced 80M performance (which I wouldn't use a 43 footer for, anyways).

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 17, 2013

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My one failed attempt at an HF antenna was trying to string up a 4-band fan-dipole between 3 large, equally-spaced trees. It was a pain to string up and maintain, and never seemed to work that well.

I was looking at the layout of my yard. I've got a deck about 10 feet high that I could attach a mast to for a total of maybe 20-30 feet. (Probably closer to 20 feet if i have to use something non conductive like PVC) From there I could extend up to 60 feet horizontally in one direction to a tree in the far corner of the yard.

Are any of these "Inverted-L" antenna designs worth trying? I've got a 1:1 and 4:1 balun, a run of 50ohm coax installed to outdoors, and very little experience.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 17, 2013

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

eddiewalker posted:

I was looking at the layout of my yard. I've got a deck about 10 feet high that I could attach a mast to for a total of maybe 20-30 feet. (Probably closer to 20 feet if i have to use something non conductive like PVC)
Don't use PVC if you can help it. It has a very low strength/weight ratio and will flop all over the place.

eddiewalker posted:

From there I could extend up to 60 feet horizontally in one direction to a tree in the far corner of the yard.

Are any of these "Inverted-L" antenna designs worth trying?
Inverted L antennas can work pretty well, but generally they're a lot longer than what you've got room for. There are some good articles on cebik.com about them if you want to do a little reading.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
This is basically what I was looking at, but I have a hard time sorting how the unfounded science and "the textbooks says this shouldn't work but it's amazing" antenna write-ups from the actual good advice when just googling around.

I actually already have the coax buried to the opposite end of the lawn like that, even. If it's not functionally hokey, that drawing fits my dimensions well, though I'd like to not have an eyesore trap made of coax and sewer pipe hanging there, and I'm not sure what goes in the "coupling box."

The image was linked to a commercial antenna maker, and I couldn't even find that for sale antenna there, let alone schematics.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 18, 2013

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

This is basically what I was looking at, but I have a hard time sorting how the unfounded science and "the textbooks says this shouldn't work but it's amazing" antenna write-ups from the actual good advice when just googling around.
As they say, if it sounds too good to be true, etc. The reason the books say "this shouldn't work" is because it either doesn't work how the author probably thinks it works or doesn't work as well as the author thinks (and oftentimes both). Many of the "shouldn't work" antenna designs actually radiate from the feedline rather than the antenna itself, and the ones that don't usually get the endorsement "I can work everyone I can hear!" which when you think about it is really kind of a ridiculous standard.

After thumbing a couple of my antenna books, and keeping in mind your size restrictions, I wouldn't try to make a horizontal wire try to fit (other than maybe a horizontal loop up as high as practical) if I were looking for 80-10M coverage. I'd use a ground-mounted vertical (like one of the Butternut trapped verticals) and use my space to spread out radials.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

nmfree posted:

and the ones that don't usually get the endorsement "I can work everyone I can hear!" which when you think about it is really kind of a ridiculous standard.
For antennas, yes, especially since a good antenna will let you hear more than a bad antenna; a light bulb filament run with a kW might be up to that antenna standard. But for stuff like choosing how much power to run, once you have an antenna up, being able to work everything you can hear is a good standard. I agree with all those who say that the antenna is the most important part of your station.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Is anyone here interested in an LDG YT-100 autotuner for an FT-857d (and another model or two, I forget) that's unused (no box)?
I've also got a Yaesu YF-122S SSB filter that's likewise unused (with box).

Tuner has both cables (computer (serial) -> tuner -> radio) included.

Edit: If any of you guys are into CW and haven't picked up a bug yet, RUN do not walk and snag one. Holy poo poo they're fun! It's amazing how finely tuned they can be (I've only just started so I can't IMAGINE how much better it gets) and with all the noise and movement they just get you involved in the whole process.

Fun note: My bug is bigger than my primary CW radio and weighs a lot more, to boot. (Elecraft KX-1 and Vibroplex Original Standard)

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 22, 2013

leahlionheart
Jun 20, 2012

by T. Finninho
I've been interested in radio (shortwave and amateur) for about 18 years now, since my uncle introduced me to it (he has an enormous set-up at his house, and is a lifelong ham). My callsign is KC2PWS, and I'd like to upgrade my license in the next six months or so. Also in the works is a radio-themed tattoo (so far, elements to include: callsign, simple crystal radio schematic, and a reference to numbers stations).

I'll join the irc channel (lionheart), but also wanted to say hello here. Thanks for setting up this thread, it's a great resource.

josiahgould
Nov 10, 2009
Can anyone recommend me a cheap TNC? I think I'm finally going to set up a packet BBS. The old men have been talking about setting another one up for well over a year now, and I want to help out. I've got my old Yaesu FT-227r to hook it up to with a 5-pin DIN 180 jack on the back, but I was wondering if there is a microphone adapter cable (the port is a bit... wonky)? It will be running on it's own dedicated POS computer, I'm assuming it doesn't take much power.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Does anyone know of a decent broadcast fm transmitter kit? Mainly to use in the car, but also at work occasionally. Pretty much every commercially made one is garbage and puts out very little power or just up and dies after a while. Thanks.

Edit: almost forgot my Greybeard cred, my call is kb3eih, been a ham since 1999 (14 years jesus christ), I have a wonky knee and my ears ring sometimes.

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 1, 2013

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Long Francesco posted:

...puts out very little power

'cause they're legal :P

You may want to add the word "pirate" to your search: http://www.freeradio.org/store/frb_kits.html

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Well of course I would never drown out everybody's music in a 4 block radius with an unending loop of meatloaf, or yell at that rear end in a top hat who just cut me off through his own radio. That would be a terrible thing to do.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm getting a few more results. Are there any kit companies I should avoid? It's been a while since I've looked at kits and stuff.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I found some on eBay once through a chinese ham radio supplier, IIRC the power was around 500mW.

Fake-e: Yup you can get 500mW on eBay easily enough. Looks like the kit-site linked has pretty cheap RF amplifiers kits that could work with a small modulator.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Long Francesco posted:

Well of course I would never drown out everybody's music in a 4 block radius with an unending loop of meatloaf, or yell at that rear end in a top hat who just cut me off through his own radio. That would be a terrible thing to do.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm getting a few more results. Are there any kit companies I should avoid? It's been a while since I've looked at kits and stuff.

You might try one of the Ramsey kits or hit up Amazon for one of the "User is responsible for following FCC regulation" transmitters, or this waaay too powerful one, Amazon is full of. I've had the best luck using low power transmitters that will output in "international" mode: aka below 88.1MHz. There are only 2 stations in the US broadcasting below 88.1 so you should have a clear spot for your signal if you can tune in there.

An antenna better than the cable shield those lovely little transmitters use works wonders. You can probably push them past legal output with a "proper" antenna.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 3, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Man, I didn't even think about checking amazon. I looked at the Ramsey kits and for the price it didn't seem worth it for what you get so I picked up one of these http://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=pd_sim_e_2

More than I wanted to spend but has great reviews and looks to be good quality.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Lazy Sunday, but I got out and setup a portable radio for a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMsHnNEGBVA

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Hey guys, just found this thread and just now got HAM certified Technician. KK4OJW is the callsign. I'll be perusing this thread quite a bit to catch up on proper protocol, but just wanted to let everyone know that I am now that much older now that I am certified.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3445571

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Woo, congratulations!

I'm currently casually helping a UK friend look into getting his Foundation license.

Apparently UK doesn't do frequency restrictions, but power restrictions? I actually like that a lot more.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Woo, congratulations!

I'm currently casually helping a UK friend look into getting his Foundation license.

Apparently UK doesn't do frequency restrictions, but power restrictions? I actually like that a lot more.

Same as Canada pretty much. If you get over 80% on your basic test you get HF privileges. Limited in power.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Jonny 290 posted:

Woo, congratulations!

Been a while since I did my foundation, but I'm fairly sure there are one or two bands that are off-limits, but they may be experimental bands.

Also you don't get to do RAYNET or anything but lollll

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I thought getting my ham license was nerdy enough but I didn't want to stop there. I'm now getting into Linux and I'm curious if anyone has combined their radio activities with Linux programs. I would think with the customizability of Linux someone could get pretty creative when it came to amateur radio.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sounds like you should start playing with Open Source Software Defined Radios.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Yeah, check out RTL-SDR. You can get the hardware for a twenty or so, and there's bound to be a linux version.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Passed the technician exam this afternoon, tried for general as well despite not having seen any questions and missed it by 4 :( oh well, should get it next exam date.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Hummer Driving human being posted:

I thought getting my ham license was nerdy enough but I didn't want to stop there. I'm now getting into Linux and I'm curious if anyone has combined their radio activities with Linux programs. I would think with the customizability of Linux someone could get pretty creative when it came to amateur radio.

There's quite a userbase of linux folks who are hams, as you might imagine. To get you started, there is a pretty well-maintained ubuntu repository. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuHams

There's a mailing list you can subscribe to as well. http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-hams

I use linux for everything ham related. Logging, satellite tracking, digital modes, packet, APRS, LOTW, etc. etc. Not into SDR stuff yet but it probably won't be long.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I was halfway reading this thread from the beginning, but much like with testing, I got impatient.

Canadian potential-ham dude here, solid electronics background, didn't study, getting 80-85% consistently on the Industry Canada test generator thing. Thinking of taking the test (and ideally scoring above 80%) next week some time.

...then I guess I have to buy a drat radio or something :v:

EDIT: Considering I jumped to the newest post in the thread when the one I was reading was from 2009, what's the currently cheap-as-hell 2M HT?

EDIT 2: Wow I can't type for poo poo.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

SoundMonkey posted:

EDIT: Considering I jumped to the newest post in the thread when the one I was reading was from 2009, what's the currently cheap-as-hell 2M HT?
Wouxun or Baofeng are the two super-cheap Chinese manufacturers; I don't know if they're actually sold in Canada but you could probably get one from the US pretty cheaply.