Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Manky posted:

Is there a cheap, diy alternative to proper acoustic foam?

http://www.acousticsfirst.com/eggc.htm

They call it eggcrate foam for a reason. That being said...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You can cover glasswool insulation batts with cloth and a wooden frame and put them at various places to improve the sound in a room, I made a bunch and it definitely made a difference, but due to their size they can take a decent chunk out of your floor space depending on the size of your room. Are you looking to soundproof or just to tidy up errant reflections?

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Sorbo Shirtless posted:

Both of the long cables are the same cable. Not sure if they're mono or stereo. They also both individually work.

By mono or stereo, he was referring to whether they're TS or TRS cables:

TS is typical for guitar cables, TRS is capable of carrying stereo signals and they're a little unusual to be used as guitar cables.

If you've got TRS cables, there's a possibility that your pedal doesn't like them. That'd be my guess, but someone else probably knows more about this.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

RandomCheese posted:

You can cover glasswool insulation batts with cloth and a wooden frame and put them at various places to improve the sound in a room, I made a bunch and it definitely made a difference, but due to their size they can take a decent chunk out of your floor space depending on the size of your room. Are you looking to soundproof or just to tidy up errant reflections?

My bedroom is now next to a kitchen with a ramshackle wall in between, so my goal is mostly sound-dampening, if not sound-proofing. Of course this is also my practice and recording space, so an improvement in acoustics would be a boon.

Thanks for the ideas. I thought about using eggcrates, but not building some simple insulation panels. Either would improve things greatly. Time to take inventory and measurements and see what I can cobble together.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

We currently record ourselves rehearse with an iphone under a sweater.

How can we step this up? We're just recording to remember songs etc, so we're not ready to plunge a lot of money for something nice, just something that records a bit better and doesn't max out when we hit high hats.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, if you want to destroy your sweater...

Have you considered a microphone attachment?
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmic/
Can be gotten pretty cheap. Quality, I dunno.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

My bedroom is now next to a kitchen with a ramshackle wall in between, so my goal is mostly sound-dampening, if not sound-proofing. Of course this is also my practice and recording space, so an improvement in acoustics would be a boon.

Thanks for the ideas. I thought about using eggcrates, but not building some simple insulation panels. Either would improve things greatly. Time to take inventory and measurements and see what I can cobble together.

Foam and glasswool won't do a lot to prevent sound transmission through a wall, they are really only effective for reflection dampening within a room. Thick sheets of wood like MDF or particle board will be more effective at actually blocking noise, but you will need quite a lot of it depending on how much noise you actually make, and it won't be as simple as just putting a couple of sheets up against that particular wall as sound is a sneaky bugger and will go over and under the wall through the ceiling and floor into the adjacent room. I just built a soundproof vocal booth and the walls for that are comprised of 3 sheets of MDF with an airgap in between as well as a layer of soundproofing compound between the wood. Works well but is definitely not cheap. I was planning on doing my whole room but it would have been a gargantuan effort and one weak point on any floor, ceiling or corner can make all your efforts for nothing as all the sound energy will just escape from that point.
The easiest, cheapest solution will be to just use headphones, it's what I ended up doing for all non-vocal stuff.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
How do I get this sound from two of The Clash's songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoeLqtetizo

What instrument is the lead riff played on? It's hard to explain what I mean in specific, just... take a listen to it and pay attention to pick up what stands out. I can hear two main melodies in the verses - a very clear piano one and a sort of... guitar-saxophone hybrid? I don't even... and that's the one I'm interested in.

The Clash have used this before on "Train In Vain" also. Take a listen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Yl4ehzX-o

Is it a specific instrument, a synth or just a really odd sounding guitar? I'm on a serious hunt to get this sound.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
The first sound you're talking about is mixed kinda low so it'd difficult to tell, but it may even just be a saxophone. If you're after a sax/guitar hybrid sound, you can just have the 2 instruments mixed very similarly and they should blend together. Have them occupy similar frequencies, same spot in the stereo space, that sort of thing. Having the guitar with just a bit of overdrive with a more dry sound should help too.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Red Garland posted:

Is it a specific instrument, a synth or just a really odd sounding guitar? I'm on a serious hunt to get this sound.

Are you talking about the harmonica?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

Red Garland posted:

How do I get this sound from two of The Clash's songs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoeLqtetizo

What instrument is the lead riff played on? It's hard to explain what I mean in specific, just... take a listen to it and pay attention to pick up what stands out. I can hear two main melodies in the verses - a very clear piano one and a sort of... guitar-saxophone hybrid? I don't even... and that's the one I'm interested in.

First one is a sax, second is harmonica/piano/organ.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Is there a name for that high-pitched whir so often found in hip-hop songs? It's heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpmX4qG1kQg&t=188s

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Is there a name for that high-pitched whir so often found in hip-hop songs? It's heard here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpmX4qG1kQg&t=188s

Wikipedia says it is a saxophone, and Wikipedia never lies.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk3bF6iVzwE&t=2s
Junior Walker and the All-Stars, Shoot Your Shot.

It dates back to '67. It's a sax. Here, someone did an A/B of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BEIbbufzk

Edit: Wikipedia can suck my *wheet*.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 20, 2013

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is probably a really stupid question but is there a service or tool that can check if a chord pattern or melody has been used before? More melody than chord (I'm aware that a lot of songs are the same chords with a different rhythm). Mainly because I sometimes come up with melodies that sound cool (To me at least) and ultimately forget them because I fear they've been done before and I'm subconsciously ripping someone off.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
There's an app for the iPhone that lets you hold up the phone to a source of music, and it will identify the song based on the notes it hears. You could try that. That's kind of barking up the wrong tree though. I wouldn't worry so much about a chord progression being used before, because frankly, almost all of the ones you'll end up using have done before. It's more important to just keep plugging along, trying new things and working with them. With mlodies, maybe someone'll notice if you recreate something from a Tiesto single or something, but it's unlikely.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I do that with Shazam, Soundhound or some other song finding app, sometimes I stumble upon a cool riff and think "there's no way I could have made something that good" but sure enough no matches come up and I feel pretty drat stoked. They work pretty well, even just humming a tune finds matches with good accuracy. But as SK said don't get hung up on trying to be 100% original, the sheer amount of creative perople who have ever graced this planet combined with the finite combination of notes or chords means you are definitely treading on well worn ground. Have a watch through the Everything is a Remix series, it made me feel a lot better about my creative output.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Do those "30 second song" packs made by goons still exist, and where can I find them if so? They were the reason I bought an account years ago, it was a neat concept and many of them were funny.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g8lFmsCXhg

Go to 1:30 mark - what chord does David Byrne strum throughout the song?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Seems like he's doing going between E and Esus2 (x79997 and x79977) but doing the funk thing where you only really play the top 3 or so strings, and the thumb-over grip helps with the muting

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That Led Zeppelin stuff is so bullshit, but so fascinating.

They straight up lifted a verse from an old blues tune. But you know makes that tune? This. And they couldn't have plagerised that from anyone because that music straight up didn't exist at the time. And the reason why they became one of the biggest live acts of a generation wasn't because they lifted a drat Howlin' Wolf lyric here and there. It was for (tonnes of reasons) but one of them is they created a sound that didn't exist before they came along. Sure they took cues from what came before but they made it their own.

Although, they were jerks for lifting stuff at points.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I have a little electronics project I'm playing with to make my own crude capacitive touch sensing device. I'm not really a musician or dj, but I figured it would be fun anyways to try to use my device to emulate one of those digital turntables.

Does anyone know if there is a standard device protocol for those sort of things? Also is there any linux compatible software for just goofing around with "scratching" like that with such a device?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

peepsalot posted:

I have a little electronics project I'm playing with to make my own crude capacitive touch sensing device. I'm not really a musician or dj, but I figured it would be fun anyways to try to use my device to emulate one of those digital turntables.

Does anyone know if there is a standard device protocol for those sort of things? Also is there any linux compatible software for just goofing around with "scratching" like that with such a device?

I would approach this by interfacing the touch sensing device with an Arduino board. There are Arduino libraries for communicating in pretty much any data format. I'd personally try to use OSC, though MIDI might be easier to get talking with some other apps.

You could connect the Arduino setup to Pd (Pd/Puredata is a visual programming environment for audio, which is free and available for Linux), then adapt a Pd patch to scratch samples. (In this case, you wouldn't have to worry about OSC or MIDI, just do everything internally in Pd).

h_double fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 27, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What kind of viola strings should one buy if they are completely new to string instruments in general?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Greetings friends. I previously asked a question here about trying to play guitar on my computer, which led me to buying this audio interface http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2. I'm using it, along with Amplitube and ASIO4All to play guitar with fancy digital modelling on my computer with very low latency which is great. However, I can't play audio from any other programs while using ASIO4All. I read all about the history of Windows and kmixer and completely understand why it doesn't work with my crappy onboard sound card. What I can't figure out after hours of Google searching, and I'm about to throw my computer out the god drat window, is:

How can I achieve low latency guitar playback on my computer via a program like Amplitube WHILE playing audio from other programs????

I'm 99.9% sure I just need to buy a new sound card, which I'm willing to spend as much money as I need to on, but what the hell do I look at in the technical specs to make sure it will do what I want? Is any decent sound card going to accomplish this and this is a completely stupid question? I just want to make sure what I'm buying is actually going to work before I buy it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.acousticsfirst.com/eggc.htm

They call it eggcrate foam for a reason. That being said...

Wait what the gently caress? Those are egg cartons, not eggcrate foam. Eggcrate foam looks like this:

I've seen about a thousand small studios using eggcrate FOAM to good effect. I've never seen a single one using actual egg cartons, so I don't know who on earth they're talking to.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Manky posted:

Is there a cheap, diy alternative to proper acoustic foam?

What's your budget and how much area do you want to cover?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Where does everyone get their music gear news? I am completely lost as I can only find places like Ultimate Guitar and Harmony Central which are neat but fairly useless for news.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
What kind of gear do you want to hear about? Like pedals and poo poo, or amps and guitars? I read sevenstring.org a lot but that's generally geared towards stuff metalheads like and buy. I'd figure the Harmony Central front page is probably good for news too. Maybe check out youtube, I guess.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

syntaxfunction posted:

Where does everyone get their music gear news? I am completely lost as I can only find places like Ultimate Guitar and Harmony Central which are neat but fairly useless for news.

Tape Op. If you're in the US it's even a free subscription.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

muike posted:

What kind of gear do you want to hear about? Like pedals and poo poo, or amps and guitars? I read sevenstring.org a lot but that's generally geared towards stuff metalheads like and buy. I'd figure the Harmony Central front page is probably good for news too. Maybe check out youtube, I guess.

Guitar and bass stuff mainly. Guitars, amps and effects pretty much. Might recheck out HC front page. The forums seemed pretty bleh for help.

@Trig: Not in the US but I'll look into it anyway.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
MusicRadar is pretty good for news, reviews, interviews and tutorials. I think the forums are fairly active for guitars but the smaller groups like drums don't seem to get a lot of traffic.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Trig Discipline posted:

Wait what the gently caress? Those are egg cartons, not eggcrate foam. Eggcrate foam looks like this:

The gentleman asked for 'cheap' and 'diy'. Eggcrate foam costs money. I'm pretty sure anyone who's building an actual 'small studio' isn't trying to 'diy' their foam.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Warcabbit posted:

The gentleman asked for 'cheap' and 'diy'. Eggcrate foam costs money. I'm pretty sure anyone who's building an actual 'small studio' isn't trying to 'diy' their foam.

Yeah, but they cost way less than real acoustic foam and do a pretty drat good job if used right. I'm just confused by the comparison because I've literally never seen anyone using actual egg cartons for that purpose. I'd like to see a similar comparison using the kind of eggcrate foam people actually do use for sound treatment, because that's much more relevant.

And I know there's "cheap" and "cheap", but the kind of eggcrate foam people typically do use for treatments ain't that expensive. You can get 25 square feet for under $40 on Amazon. Probably cheaper if you look around or aren't picky about color.

So two of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Convoluted-Bed-Full-Size-Blue/dp/B000EWZXF6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360878899&sr=8-3&keywords=eggcrate

To cover the same area as this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/primacoustic-w-foam-primafoam-ut-acoustic-foam

At less than 1/4 the price.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 14, 2013

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm sorry. I see what you were saying now. When I said 'They call it eggcrate foam for a reason', you thought I meant 'here is a link about eggcrate foam'. No, I meant 'egg cartons actually work. That's how they got the idea for using eggcrate foam for acoustic insulation before there was dedicated acoustic foam.'

I've done the egg carton trick, stuffing the hollow bits full of packing peanuts and whatever foam I could scrounge up. Worked okay.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
As much as I should probably know better, I'm going to ask for the sake of my own sanity.

A Carvin V3M with a 1x12 cabinet would be loud enough to play with a drummer, correct? I'm basically certain it would be fine for gigging, but I'm not sure the 50w @ 1x12 is going to be enough to hear myself over a drummer. If it weren't enough, would a 2x12 suffice, or would I have to up the wattage?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Pope Mobile posted:

What kind of viola strings should one buy if they are completely new to string instruments in general?

If you are completely new to violin/viola, you should really really, moreso even than other instruments, find a good in-person teacher (and ask them to recommend equipment). It's not an instrument you can pick up on your own.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Greetings friends. I previously asked a question here about trying to play guitar on my computer, which led me to buying this audio interface http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2. I'm using it, along with Amplitube and ASIO4All to play guitar with fancy digital modelling on my computer with very low latency which is great. However, I can't play audio from any other programs while using ASIO4All. I read all about the history of Windows and kmixer and completely understand why it doesn't work with my crappy onboard sound card. What I can't figure out after hours of Google searching, and I'm about to throw my computer out the god drat window, is:

How can I achieve low latency guitar playback on my computer via a program like Amplitube WHILE playing audio from other programs????

I'm 99.9% sure I just need to buy a new sound card, which I'm willing to spend as much money as I need to on, but what the hell do I look at in the technical specs to make sure it will do what I want? Is any decent sound card going to accomplish this and this is a completely stupid question? I just want to make sure what I'm buying is actually going to work before I buy it.

Is there a reason you're using ASIO4ALL rather than the native ASIO drivers that come with the Scarlett? ASIO4ALL is mostly to provide ASIO support for soundcards that don't offer it natively.

A different audio interface won't make a difference, as what you're running into is a limitation of ASIO.

What other thing are you trying to play audio from? If it's a media file or youtube clip or something, the easiest thing might be to rip the audio to mp3 or wav and import it to another DAW track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
I want to be able to play guitar pro mainly.

I'm using ASIO4All because I get terrible latency using DirectSound. Is a better sound card (i.e. not on onboard one) going to reduce latency and make it feasible to get low latency without having to use ASIO4All?