Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy

Party Plane Jones posted:

How far is the extent of Mega City One in Dredd? I remember Central showing an extent at least to Virginia/North Carolina, but doesn't it actually go all the way down to Florida in the comics?

I have no idea in the comics but the movie states "From Boston to DC"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Party Plane Jones posted:

How far is the extent of Mega City One in Dredd? I remember Central showing an extent at least to Virginia/North Carolina, but doesn't it actually go all the way down to Florida in the comics?
Originally it ran the entire length of the East Coast, extending west as far as the Great Lakes in the north and Atlanta in the south (there's a map in 'Block Mania'). The entire southern half and a large chunk of the northwest were nuked out in 'The Apocalypse War', leaving the inhabited parts going about as far south as Washington.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Has anyone else noticed the way he says America at the beginning? He says "Uhmurca" :911:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Physical posted:

Has anyone else noticed the way he says America at the beginning? He says "Uhmurca" :911:

I heard it more as "Amerikerr," which is what you do when you have a British/Australian/New Zealand accent and you are following a word that ends with a vowel with 'is' or a similar word. I still think it's a bit funny that the first word in the film, being the country of origin of the main character, is the word where he sounds the least American.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Well, drat. The Dredd prop auction has put up its last items, and my dream of paying a silly amount of money for a Judge's helmet is dead, because the only ones they had that weren't part of a complete costume (and therefore going for several thousand pounds) were pre-production prototypes rather than ones that actually appeared on screen. Guess I won't get to pretend to be the LAWWWWW. :smith:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Payndz posted:

Well, drat. The Dredd prop auction has put up its last items, and my dream of paying a silly amount of money for a Judge's helmet is dead, because the only ones they had that weren't part of a complete costume (and therefore going for several thousand pounds) were pre-production prototypes rather than ones that actually appeared on screen. Guess I won't get to pretend to be the LAWWWWW. :smith:

I wanted the giant Halls of Justice sign, so I could put it outside my house and have my letters addressed to 'Crashbee, Mega-City One Justice Department'.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"It'd save me a lot of paperwork if you just confessed right now."

The thought of Dredd sat at his desk or doing his taxes with that scowl cracks me the gently caress up. :allears:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

poptart_fairy posted:

The thought of Dredd sat at his desk or doing his taxes with that scowl cracks me the gently caress up. :allears:

How do you think he got the scowl? Enough forms, and your face is likely to freeze like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

poptart_fairy posted:

It's a nod to the comics. Dredd hates paperwork because it cuts into his catching lawbreakers time, and he will delegate it at any opportunity.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Hewlett posted:

I heard it more as "Amerikerr," which is what you do when you have a British/Australian/New Zealand accent and you are following a word that ends with a vowel with 'is' or a similar word. I still think it's a bit funny that the first word in the film, being the country of origin of the main character, is the word where he sounds the least American.

There are a few American accents on the east coast that follow those same rules. Not that I really think that's the case, and I'm sure it was just Urban's accent slipping. I did think it was kind of funny that for a second that Dredd sounded like he was straight out of New Jersey.

poptart_fairy posted:

Haha! Me too now.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I'm sure he puts on some reading glasses and does them diligently because it's the law. Dredd hates that filing TPP reports takes him off the street but it is his duty to complete them. Maybe a kickstarter will be the way to get a sequel made.

Physical fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 10, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

poptart_fairy posted:

"Triplicate? Notorized? Not on my desk, creep!"

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Physical posted:

I'm sure he puts on his reading helmet and does them diligently

Let's be reasonable here...

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Wow so I watched this and then I had to watch it again the next day because it was so enjoyable. Really great film and I've never read the comic but maybe I should.

I got a question. What is the song that plays when Dredd & Anderson bust into the drug den and shoot everyone while they are all high on slo-mo? Is it a regular song or did they make it just for the movie? Actually the music for the whole movie was really, really good. Really got the blood pumping and ready for the action.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PlesantDilemma posted:

Wow so I watched this and then I had to watch it again the next day because it was so enjoyable. Really great film and I've never read the comic but maybe I should.

I got a question. What is the song that plays when Dredd & Anderson bust into the drug den and shoot everyone while they are all high on slo-mo? Is it a regular song or did they make it just for the movie? Actually the music for the whole movie was really, really good. Really got the blood pumping and ready for the action.

It's a slowed down soundalike of a Justin Beiber song that the composer made just for the film.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

PlesantDilemma posted:

The soundtrack is awesome, you should pick up a copy. All of the slo mo parts were done using a copy of the Beiber 800% slower meme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QspuCt1FM9M

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho

PlesantDilemma posted:

I had a hard time finding it too. The official soundtrack doesn't contain it. Neither of these are the super slow mo ambient noise you hear, like the 800% slo-mo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2dfGC1oziE VITALIC - Poison Lips <- drug den scene

Then there is this other one, that I found erronously said was playing during the bust scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138AnFonZMg La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream Remix HQ) <- not even sure where it got used, but it was listed all over. I think its from the trailer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Capn Beeb posted:

"Triplicate? Notorized? Not on my desk, creep!"

Is there any good source of Dredd gifs? I feel like spamming my tumblr with them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Physical posted:

Then there is this other one, that I found erronously said was playing during the bust scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=138AnFonZMg La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream Remix HQ) <- not even sure where it got used, but it was listed all over. I think its from the trailer.

Yes, that's the trailer music.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else notice they lifted part of the Dredd soundtrack for the new Micael Bay film?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Just watched this. I was expecting a cheesy-as-gently caress, libertarian, authority-worshiping wank fest of a movie. Did not leave disappointed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Just watched this. I was expecting a cheesy-as-gently caress, libertarian, authority-worshiping wank fest of a movie. Did not leave disappointed.

Satire 1 Goons 0

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

counterfeitsaint posted:

A libertarian film would praise Mama for fighting the state's attempt to regulate her free enterprise.

Don't watch films.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

counterfeitsaint posted:

Libertarian and authority-worshipping. Great. That's great.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Jedit posted:

Satire 1 Goons 0

Unless he's taking the piss, in which case... well, your post would still work!

Seriously though, yes.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'd sincerely love to hear you expand on this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Watched the film today, loved it. A film that's only 1.5 hour long and largely self-contained in an apartment block? Moon was cut from the same cloth (same length, confined setting) and it was great too. God I love a self-restrained film.

Also I like the way they did Olivia Thirlby's hair. She looks way better in blonde.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Vegetable posted:

Watched the film today, loved it. A film that's only 1.5 hour long and largely self-contained in an apartment block? Moon was cut from the same cloth (same length, confined setting) and it was great too. God I love a self-restrained film.

Seriously; I love smaller genre films like this, where the fate of the world isn't in the hands of the protagonist. Dredd's decision to be "day in the life" film was one of its greatest assets, I think, as it managed to say more about the world it inhabited than a movie where Dredd would have to save ALL OF MEGA CITY ONE from some crime boss.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Hewlett posted:

Seriously; I love smaller genre films like this, where the fate of the world isn't in the hands of the protagonist. Dredd's decision to be "day in the life" film was one of its greatest assets, I think, as it managed to say more about the world it inhabited than a movie where Dredd would have to save ALL OF MEGA CITY ONE from some crime boss.

This was definitely a major asset to the film ("Drug bust", what a perfect response), but it also made it feel (to me) rather like a double-length, super-high-budget pilot for a series. This is NOT a bad thing - I would watch the poo poo out of a nicely-budgeted, hyper-violent Dredd show.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Also I like the way they did Olivia Thirlby's hair. She looks way better in blonde.

No joke here. I'd never heard of her before this film but she is incredibly gorgeous in it.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Omnicarus posted:

No joke here. I'd never heard of her before this film but she is incredibly gorgeous in it.
Yeah, this. I was kind of surprised and disappointed to discover she's not a natural blonde (because I'm an idiot).

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Well yeah, it's satire. I guess I could have specified that, but I thought it went without saying. I don't think the movie would have been near as fun if I thought it was serious.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Didn't you just say you hated it? Aslo, how is it libertarian in any way shape or form?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

NESguerilla posted:

Aslo, how is it libertarian in any way shape or form?
A police force that can only respond to 6% of reported crimes is "small government". :v:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Payndz posted:

A police force that can only respond to 6% of reported crimes is "small government". :v:
Given how many everyday actions are considered to be crimes in Mega-City One, that's actually a pretty brutal response rate. You're probably committing an arrest-worthy crime right now.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Kegluneq posted:

Given how many everyday actions are considered to be crimes in Mega-City One, that's actually a pretty brutal response rate. You're probably committing an arrest-worthy crime right now.
Hard to see where they'd find the time to carry out a Crime Blitz, though. "17 murders, five rapes, 23 robberies... nah, let's take a squad of Judges and rip some schlub's apartment to pieces looking for overdue library books and non-synthetic coffee."

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Payndz posted:

Hard to see where they'd find the time to carry out a Crime Blitz, though. "17 murders, five rapes, 23 robberies... nah, let's take a squad of Judges and rip some schlub's apartment to pieces looking for overdue library books and non-synthetic coffee."

This is actually a growing trend in IRL America. The way it works is that once you find a Bad Guy, you don't have to figure out whether he broke a law or not - you just charge him with one of the laws that everybody breaks. It's all very convenient.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Payndz posted:

The 24 hours shifts (with 10 mins in a sleep machine) may help with that somewhat. The exact number of Judges in relation to the population as a whole isn't really made clear in the comics, but it looks to be a lot more sparse in the movie, if a block has gone without an effective police presence for so long.

Besides, to the Judges, an overdue library book is a significant breach of the Law and needs to be taken as seriously as murder even if the punishment is not as harsh.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Besides, to the Judges, an overdue library book is a significant breach of the Law and needs to be taken as seriously as murder even if the punishment is not as harsh.
Well no because wouldn't they prioritize their responses (loitering guy at beginning of movie)? So I'd guess that there is always something more important going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Well no because wouldn't they prioritize their responses (loitering guy at beginning of movie)? So I'd guess that there is always something more important going on.

Movie Dredd is rather more lenient of minor offences, almost certainly because that setting is significantly understaffed in comparison to the comic - had the guy not been killed and not moved, movie Dredd would certainly have arrested him later on though. Comic Dredd could have called on a wagon (I forget which one) to pick the vagrant up and moved on.

Crime Blitzes normally serve the purpose of stopping a block from descending into the kind of mob rule Peachtrees is seen suffering from in the film, by sufficiently intimidating the inhabitants into not committing crimes of any kind and monitoring gang activity at early stages. Obviously serious crimes still happen everywhere even in the comic universe, but Judges there (especially Dredd) will apprehend every perp they encounter on a case, making a long chain of arrests spatially and temporally over the duration of their shifts.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 15, 2013

• Locked thread