Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Glottis posted:

Just to state the obvious, 2013 Sucaba is amazing as usual. Don't feel the need to sit on this one unless you are doing it purely for fun, it's already got great character and smoothness.

I hope to god this is just a case of NJ being slow, I hope I didn't miss it. I actually preferred it ten-fold fresh when I had it last year compared to 6-9 months aged. I have a 2011 and 2012 I plan to do a vertical with this year, same with Parabola. I think Sucaba is up there with one of the best beers I've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

RobBorer posted:

I just opened my 2012 Sucaba a week ago and it was fantastic.

I had a 2011 Abacus about 2 weeks ago and it was really just unbelievable. Insanely smooth, little alcohol heat and tons of sweet brown sugar, vanilla, coconut and oak with slight notes of sherry starting to appear from aging. This beer is great fresh and it just ages so incredibly while.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Glottis posted:

Just to state the obvious, 2013 Sucaba is amazing as usual. Don't feel the need to sit on this one unless you are doing it purely for fun, it's already got great character and smoothness.

I don't know, there's something on the finish I can't quite place. It's almost a rancid nut oil flavor, kind of greasy and unpleasantly bitter. It's really subtle and the new Sucaba is great despite its presence, but I haven't picked up that flavor in previous releases.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Ohio started to get bottles of Black Note this week... but it looks like the allocation is extremely limited. My local store only got a case in, and they're going to be doing a tasting with all of it. Another store that I go to occasionally got in a case as well, and they sold it by the bottle, with a 1 bottle limit, and it sold out in a few hours.

I'm glad I got the chance to try it on tap this week, because it looks like I won't be getting any bottles unless I trade for them.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'm down (I think) to 1 bottle of '12 Sucaba. Was my second favorite BABW to King Henry until Revolution released Straight Jacket late last year. Chicago people, this stuff is phenomenonal and worth the $18 price point.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I was just looking for 2013 Sucaba and found 2012 bottles, at least a case worth, for $15 each. I bought one to add to my other 2012, but I'm guessing that might be part of the reason I haven't seen 2013.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

St. Arnold really stepped up their game with the Bishop's Barrel, albeit a little pricy at $9 for a tiny bottle. Woodford Reserve is one of my go-to bourbons, so I had to try it myself.

The second one coming up does sound pretty drat good. Old Ale aged in Chardonnay barrels.
http://www.saintarnold.com/bb/

e: Whoever it was that said you were in Houston, you better go to Hay Merchant's anniversary party :stare: That Baby Blue Hatchet is a local legend at this point and Southern Star hasn't said anything about making it again. They say this is just a preliminary lineup too.

quote:

6point 3Beans, Dogfish Head 120 2012, Dogfish Head Midas Touch, Dogfish Head Noble Rot, Great Divide Old Ruffian, Stone Vertical Epic 8,10 and 11, Stone Saison Du BUFF, Jester King RU-55 (Cask), Jester King El Cedro, Real Ale Scots Gone Wild, Karbach BBA Hellfighter 2012 (Batch #1), Brooklyn Monster 2008, Real Ale Highlander 2012, Avery Kaiser 2012, Harpoon Leviathan Quad 2011, Karbach BBA Rodeo Clown (Cask), Karbach WBA Krunkin Pumpkin (Cask), Unibroue Trois Pistoles 2011, Sierra Nevada Ovila Quad w/ Sugar Plums, Victory Helios, Great Divide Espresso Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout, Real Ale Empire 2012, Harpoon Leviathan Czernobog and Southern Star BBA Buried Hatchet 2010 (The WORLD’S VERY LAST BARREL of Batch #1).

Everyone is currently on a wild goose chase for barrel-aged Bigfoot. Anyone here had it? I am sitting on a few bottles of Sucaba so I'm not really feeling motivated to hunt.

air- fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 14, 2013

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

air- posted:

Everyone is currently on a wild goose chase for barrel-aged Bigfoot. Anyone here had it? I am sitting on a few bottles of Sucaba so I'm not really feeling motivated to hunt.

Tigren posted:

Popped one of my Sierra Nevada Barrel Aged Bigfoots tonight and I'm glad I've got another to sit on. Its nose is very heavy on vanilla and toffee with cinnamon and tastes of honey, malt, and lots of wood. Nice mouth feel with mild carbonation. This should be great in a year or so. Right now that barrel is a bit overpowering.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

I was just looking for 2013 Sucaba and found 2012 bottles, at least a case worth, for $15 each. I bought one to add to my other 2012, but I'm guessing that might be part of the reason I haven't seen 2013.

Where?! I loved 2012 and paid like 3-4 bucks more than that a bottle!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Podima posted:

Where?! I loved 2012 and paid like 3-4 bucks more than that a bottle!

If you're in New Jersey you can go to the Canals on the Black Horse Pike in Williamstown or just down the road at King's Liquors. The Canals kind of sucks, but they have a lot of 650ml Widmer bottles, various barrel aged and wax topped, that look interesting.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Alesmith BA Kopi Luwak Bottles: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/337752

God I want.

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

air- posted:

St. Arnold really stepped up their game with the Bishop's Barrel, albeit a little pricy at $9 for a tiny bottle. Woodford Reserve is one of my go-to bourbons, so I had to try it myself.

The second one coming up does sound pretty drat good. Old Ale aged in Chardonnay barrels.
http://www.saintarnold.com/bb/

e: Whoever it was that said you were in Houston, you better go to Hay Merchant's anniversary party :stare: That Baby Blue Hatchet is a local legend at this point and Southern Star hasn't said anything about making it again. They say this is just a preliminary lineup too.

I bought all of my Bishop's Barrel from Hay Merchant, oddly enough, to-go for 6/bottle. Tomorrow is going to rule.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

I hope to god this is just a case of NJ being slow, I hope I didn't miss it. I actually preferred it ten-fold fresh when I had it last year compared to 6-9 months aged. I have a 2011 and 2012 I plan to do a vertical with this year, same with Parabola. I think Sucaba is up there with one of the best beers I've ever had.

I still haven't seen it anywhere in San Diego and nobody else has from what I see on BA.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sucaba just hit a couple of bottle shops in LA. I picked up two bottles due to the 1 bottle/per person limit after asking a friend to get one for me but the distribution has been really limited. The most any one store got was two cases.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Furious Lobster posted:

Sucaba just hit a couple of bottle shops in LA. I picked up two bottles due to the 1 bottle/per person limit after asking a friend to get one for me but the distribution has been really limited. The most any one store got was two cases.

Which means NJ will get 40 cases per store for some reason, with a bunch of it still being on shelves next year. I really can't explain it, but it happens every year. The only one I can't find on shelves from last year is Parabola, that went fast. I don't know why they don't sell around here, it's bizarre. I can't wait for 2013 though so I can do a vertical.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

Which means NJ will get 40 cases per store for some reason, with a bunch of it still being on shelves next year. I really can't explain it, but it happens every year. The only one I can't find on shelves from last year is Parabola, that went fast. I don't know why they don't sell around here, it's bizarre. I can't wait for 2013 though so I can do a vertical.

This is similar to the Chicago area. Sucaba sat on a lot of shelves last year. Double DBA is still available. There was a store by me with XV as of about 2 months ago. XVI is still easy to come by. Parabola is the only one that really flies.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Just started a little experiment. I opened a bottle of 2012 BCBS, dropped in a vanilla bean, and recapped it. Wonder how it's going to turn out. I'm guessing it will be overpowering, but I do love vanilla so who knows.

Just reporting back to say I drank this experiment last night. It was delicious, but after downing a bomber of Pipeworks Ninja vs Unicorn I couldn't finish it, so I stoppered it and put it back in the fridge to drink when I get home from work.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Holy crap. Have you guys discussed Virtue Cider at all in here?
I tried the 3rd of their offerings (that I've seen) last night. Its a winter seasonal called The Mitten. A cider aged in bourbon barrels.

I thought it was really amazing. I didn't expect a ton based off the aroma because it was pretty strongly bourbon. I kind of expected a bourbon taste with a hint of apple, but what I got was much much better. It was a semi-sweet not-really-tart cider with vanilla, oak, and more. What was most amazing is how well it was balanced with these other flavors but still distinctly being an apple cider. I'm going to need to try it again because I had just finished a rich meal with cocktails and definitely couldn't fully appreciate it.

I don't know if Virtue gets around more than Chicago and MI, but if you can I recommend everyone check their stuff out. Also I don't know if its bottled at all, I've never seen it anywhere but on tap.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't know if Virtue gets around more than Chicago and MI, but if you can I recommend everyone check their stuff out. Also I don't know if its bottled at all, I've never seen it anywhere but on tap.

I haven't seen this but their other stuff has shown up at Poor Phil's (Lampinette is available there now). I'm pretty sure my girlfriend tried RedStreak and liked it. But I don't know if she's met a cider she doesn't like...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

lodie posted:

I bought all of my Bishop's Barrel from Hay Merchant, oddly enough, to-go for 6/bottle. Tomorrow is going to rule.

Looks like you don't have PM's - would you be able to help out with getting 2 bottles of #2? Please let me know; I'll just meet up with you next time I visit Houston! I'll bring you a growler or something you can't get down there like Victory at Sea. I got to have the first at Cottonwood but never saw anyone willing to sell off-premise in Dallas unfortunately. I would love to have one to try now and one to age.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm not a huge cider person (unlike, apparently, our girlfriends) but I think Red Streak is pretty darn tasty. Sometimes its nice to mix it up a bit with a solid cider. Lampinette I have tried and vaguely remember a pretty chardonnay-y flavor.

I'm probably raving a bit too much about Virtue's stuff right now, but I really enjoy em. Also, man I need to make it out to Poor Phils, its been too long.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

My wife is English and it's borderline impossible to find an American cider she actually likes. She found Virtue's first two offerings boring and overpriced, but The Mitten is different; it's far and away the best of the three and she would definitely get it again. I agreed.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Raveen posted:

I'm going to be in Champaign / Urbana IL this weekend for a wedding and am hoping to pick up some of the many beers I can't get in South Dakota. Are there any local beers that I should look for other than 2 Brothers and 3 Floyds?

It looks like Friar Tucks is the best place for buying beer in the area.

A little late for the response, but Schlafly is a pretty decent brewery out of St. Louis that I can't get in Chicago but my parents can find in C-U, so you can look for their stuff as well. Friar Tucks is a little off of South Prospect and Binny's is right off of North Prospect, so depending on where you're at you can hit up one, then drive up or down Prospect to get to the other.

If you're in the area and looking for something to do, check out The Blind Pig (http://blindpigco.com/). It's in the downtown Champaign area and when I'm visiting my parents, I try to hit up The Blind Pig.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If you guys like ciders, I suggest checking out B. Nektar. They are a meadery, but they make a lot of varied styles. Zombie Killer is an excellent Cyser (mead blended with cider), and Evil Genius is literally a work of mad science. They make a mead that has the finish of a solid IPA. They also make some straight up ciders and meads that are delicious.

I am looking forward to trying Cigar City's braggot, a collaboration with B. Nektar called Ghost Stories. A guy in my tasting group was up there when everyone was sampling it, and it seemed very hit or miss. The impression I got though was that if you generally like ciders and meads, you will love it. If you are a straight beer guy then its likely not for you.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I just completed my second trade ever and it was with Crazyfish. What a hell of a box, 4 pack of Daisy Cutter, New Glarus Barleywine, New Glarus Coffee Stout, New Glarus Bock, Revolution 3rd Year Beer (barleywine in rum barrels), and a 2009 Matilda. I can not wait to try all of these, they all sound fantastic.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 15, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

Revolution 3rd Year Beer (barleywine in rum barrels)

The box says barleywine but they tout it everywhere as a wheat wine. I also found it a little hot fresh and plan on sitting on my bottle for a while to see how the booze settles.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

The box says barleywine but they tout it everywhere as a wheat wine. I also found it a little hot fresh and plan on sitting on my bottle for a while to see how the booze settles.

I totally forgot about this. Is it still around or did it sell out ASAP? I'd also like to get one to sit on for a bit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

I totally forgot about this. Is it still around or did it sell out ASAP? I'd also like to get one to sit on for a bit.

Email they sent out a couple days ago said they still had bottles at the Kedzie Brewery.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
RR Sanctification appearing in all of my favorite LA bottleshops; also Sucaba made a couple more appearances so SD should hopefully follow suit.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

I don't think any of Rev's barrel releases have sold out yet. Straight Jacket has probably come close.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

swickles posted:

If you guys like ciders, I suggest checking out B. Nektar. They are a meadery, but they make a lot of varied styles. Zombie Killer is an excellent Cyser (mead blended with cider), and Evil Genius is literally a work of mad science. They make a mead that has the finish of a solid IPA. They also make some straight up ciders and meads that are delicious.

I had their Vanilla Cinnamon mead at Great Taste of the Midwest a few years ago, and I absolutely lost my mind. A fantastic beverage, and made sure to pick up a bottle as soon as they distributed to Madison.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fort Collins brewer accused of stealing $15,000 worth of rare beer from former employer

:lol: Of all the stupid loving things to go to jail for...

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The B. Nektar braggot has virtually zero elements of a mead to it. It's a big beer with some smokey coconut stuff going on. Don't expect any mead flavors.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Anyone gone out to a Pliny the Younger tapping this year? One of the local craft bars is doing 140 four ounce pours with tickets being given out at 11am and tapping at 2pm. They're also tapping Drakes' Hopocalypse TIPA. This is their SF Beer Week closing event.

Tonight they're having a Firestone Walker takeover with XVI and many of the unreleased components. Pretty excited about that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tigren posted:

Anyone gone out to a Pliny the Younger tapping this year? One of the local craft bars is doing 140 four ounce pours with tickets being given out at 11am and tapping at 2pm. They're also tapping Drakes' Hopocalypse TIPA. This is their SF Beer Week closing event.

Tonight they're having a Firestone Walker takeover with XVI and many of the unreleased components. Pretty excited about that.

I'm going to a charity tapping (that I already bought in advance) on the 20th. My buddy went to Toronado SD this morning for a surprise tapping on his birthday - he seemed to like it. I'm not a tremendous fan of Younger, myself but my wife wants to try it. In fairness, literally no beer on Earth could ever, ever hope to live up to the enormous amount of hype that Younger gets.

His mug shot is so "brewer" its ridiculous. He looks like literally every dude that I've ever seen wandering around in the back of a brewery. But $300 bottles of beer is pretty loving ridiculous in the first place. The reason I like beer more than wine as an enthusiast is the fact that I can get pretty much anything within reason for a decent, non-wine vintage price. Who's paying $300 bucks for some barrel-aged stout?

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 16, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

His mug shot is so "brewer" its ridiculous. He looks like literally every dude that I've ever seen wandering around in the back of a brewery. But $300 bottles of beer is pretty loving ridiculous in the first place. The reason I like beer more than wine as an enthusiast is the fact that I can get pretty much anything within reason for a decent, non-wine vintage price. Who's paying $300 bucks for some barrel-aged stout?

Very, very few beers will crack the $300 mark. Even brandy vanilla Dark Lord probably won't hit $300. Generally to get into that range, you're talking stupidly rare sours (one-off or foreign exclusive Cantillons like Soleil de Minuit) and a couple other ultra rare non-sours, namely Hair of the Dog Dave and Midnight Sun M. The latter two have broken $1000 at auction.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

And then upon being fired he got a job at Black Bottle :lol: Certainly matches my image of that joint.

Also if Avery sold 4oz draws from the bottles described, sure, they could make $100 easy. Plus, eBay.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Tigren posted:

What bar is this? Sounds like a nice string of events. The Firestone components are neat to taste and PtY is a great beer, too. Hopocalypse is also pretty great. It's worth trying to get PtY in my opinion, but don't be upset if you can't for whatever reason-- I don't think it's really any better than Pliny the Elder, per se, just a different take.

Pakelika
May 13, 2005

Work It! Thats Right! Awwww Yeah!

Glottis posted:

What bar is this? Sounds like a nice string of events. The Firestone components are neat to taste and PtY is a great beer, too. Hopocalypse is also pretty great. It's worth trying to get PtY in my opinion, but don't be upset if you can't for whatever reason-- I don't think it's really any better than Pliny the Elder, per se, just a different take.

Sounds like Harry's Hofbrau San Jose for the PtY event, I am cool not trying to be one of the 140 in line before their 11am opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

And then upon being fired he got a job at Black Bottle :lol: Certainly matches my image of that joint.

Haha yeah that was part of what cracked me up but I wasn't going to mention it since you are probably the only other poster here who has even heard of them.

They make a beer called "Bitches Get Stitches" :thumbsup: