Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
My second point still stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Dross posted:

edit: I haven't messed with the Warriors of Darkness yet but my planned Light party is:

Aigis: Paladin/Warrior
Sarah: Seer/Red Mage
Sol: Thief/Bard
Dusk: Dragoon/Monk

Does this look good then? Looking at WoD jobs I think that party can be:

Magus/Red Mage
Ranger/Thief
Ninja/Warrior (or Ninja/Dark Knight, Draw Attacks + Image seems good?)
Dancer/Summoner?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Remember that Image isn't as good as it looks on the tin - most dangerous physical attacker enemies have special attacks with names like "Critical" and "Roundhouse" that they use more often than regular attacks, and Image doesn't evade those.

It's also worth noting that Ninja and Ranger have very good synergy at high levels.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

Remember that Image isn't as good as it looks on the tin - most dangerous physical attacker enemies have special attacks with names like "Critical" and "Roundhouse" that they use more often than regular attacks, and Image doesn't evade those.

It's also worth noting that Ninja and Ranger have very good synergy at high levels.

You mean with Dual Wield + Spreadshot for the Genji Glove + Master's Scroll (aka Offering) effect?

In that case, how about

Magus/Red Mage
Ranger/Ninja
Thief/Dancer
Warrior/Dark Knight

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Dross posted:

Aigis: Paladin/Warrior
Sarah: Seer/Red Mage
Sol: Thief/Bard
Dusk: Dragoon/Monk

Thief is a pretty bad job for doing anything but being fast as all hell. They're the fastest Job in the game and can get some pretty great knives near the end that boost their Speed even further, but outside of learning Item Finder/Treasure Hunter they suuuck, especially for Light Warriors since they don't have access to Dual Wield for even more Speed stacking. Bards are invaluable for learning Hastega as a Fusion Ability and might have a use in playing with Dire Dirge but that's pretty risky, otherwise they're mediocre to just plain bad.

A Dragoon can probably get more use out of Holy Blade than the Paladin itself, simply for the difference in Speed between the two with minimal Strength/Attack loss, as well as more MP to play with. Conversely, Paladins have a much better time using Healing Breath, with almost double the MND of a Dragoon, even if they'll suck at everything else that isn't Dragon Soul or Roar (the Breaths and even Lancet are INT-based - Dragon Arts can make a pretty good secondary for Black Mages in midgame thus). A Martial Arts Dragoon is pretty great as well, especially with Earthshatterer and Raging Fist.

Dross posted:

Magus/Red Mage
Ranger/Thief
Ninja/Warrior (or Ninja/Dark Knight, Draw Attacks + Image seems good?)
Dancer/Summoner?

Ninja/Ranger is an insane combination; their ridiculous Speed and innate Dual Wield can make Spreadshot pretty quickly outdamage Doublecast Meteor builds by sheer quantity of attacks over time. Likewise, Ninja/Dark Knight is awesome for Dark Blade invoking backlash on its attacks once but hitting twice via Dual Wield. I haven't thought about Draw Attacks+Image, but if you throw Backliner in there as well to soften the blow from the odd strike that gets through I could see it working out okay.

Dancers are, uh. I'm not too sure how to make them a good option, all told. See all my griping about Thieves above, lower their physical stats even further with a reasonable boost to MP/INT/MND (better MP than Red Mages, in fact :psyduck:) and that's Dancer. Saber Dance might be useful? I don't even know.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

Dancers are, uh. I'm not too sure how to make them a good option, all told. See all my griping about Thieves above, lower their physical stats even further with a reasonable boost to MP/INT/MND (better MP than Red Mages, in fact :psyduck:) and that's Dancer. Saber Dance might be useful? I don't even know.

The only reason to level Dancer is to get Phantom Rush. The hidden dances are ok but basically they're cure waltz spamming machine until you get Phantom Rush when they then go into the closet never to come out again.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Barudak posted:

The only reason to level Dancer is to get Phantom Rush. The hidden dances are ok but basically they're cure waltz spamming machine until you get Phantom Rush when they then go into the closet never to come out again.

Even then Phantom Rush is outdone by Dual Wield Spreadshot against a single target. I dunno...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

Even then Phantom Rush is outdone by Dual Wield Spreadshot against a single target. I dunno...

Phantom Rush is nice because its an F-Ability, which is totally irrelevant for the most part because there is not a drat thing in the game challenging enough to require a setup different than ninja/ranger. Much like if you waste your time to fully power up Jobless you still have a worthless class and ran out of content about 6 Jobs ago.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Another Final Fantasy 12 question(IZJS): I just got my first esper, Belias, and I remember reading somewhere that once you activate it on a character's license board, they gain bonus stats/abilities. Is this true for all espers? and how should I allocate them to my characters?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

In IZJS the Espers form a bridge for sets of licences for jobs. These are usually "cross class" skills that other jobs specialize in to give the job more versatility. You can tell which jobs get bonus skills from espers by looking at their licence board.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Its a little tricky because each job's license board has special tiles that can only be unlocked with a certain esper. What you're gonna wanna do when you get a new one is to scope out what jobs get good bonuses from it and pick accordingly. You can only pick one job to assign it to so it becomes a judgement call on your part.

Belias specifically though doesn't really matter. For most jobs he unlocks literally nothing and for a few others he opens up a very minor tile. I would just put him on whichever job actually gets something out of it. That is unless you really are playing with just 3 characters, in which case don't assign it at all since each character can only have 3 espers assigned and you don't wanna waste that slot.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I am watching the HCBailly LP for FF VI and it's really making me loving nostalgic for the series excluding XIII (I never finished 13, so I can't fully assess).

Got FFT on the PSN sale and am grinding my way through that. I'm considering what to do next. I want to do IX because I never finished that back when I was in HS and it's really unique among the 3D FF's. I also want to finish XIII just for the sake of it.

Was glad to see this on the front page. I switched to Android a while back, does anyone know if the IV remake is going to be on Android, and/or if they have a similar remake for V and VI intended?

Sorry for the deluge of questions.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think all the iOS ports will make it to Android, there's just some dumb exclusivity thing that the Japanese Play Store gets for Square Enix games.

I doubt 5 and 6 will receive 3D remakes though - 3 and 4 got them because those are just ports of the existing NDS versions.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Slider posted:

Another Final Fantasy 12 question(IZJS): I just got my first esper, Belias, and I remember reading somewhere that once you activate it on a character's license board, they gain bonus stats/abilities. Is this true for all espers? and how should I allocate them to my characters?

Esper blocks on the License grid act as literal "bridges" to otherwise inaccessible skill blocks on a jobs License grid. In IZJS, once a character/job learns an Esper, it will essentially break the potential bridge on other characters/jobs rendering those skills inaccessible forever. (There is also a maximum 3 Esper limit per character, so you gotta plan carefully. nvm I confused myself! ty Schwartzcough)

There isn't really a guide to allocating Espers, it's more something you've just gotta plan for yourself based on your team composition.

In the case of Belias (click me for FAQ URL);
- Archer: None
- Black Mage: None
- Breaker: Horology
- Hunter: None
- Knight: Potion Lore 1
- Machinist: None
- Monk: None
- Red Mage: None
- Samurai: Libra
- Time Mage: None
- Uhlan: None
- White Mage: None

So generally you'd want to give Belias to either your Breaker, Knight, or Samurai (or no one...). In this case, giving Belias to any other job won't give access to a bridge to new abilities/stats.

So say for example you gave Belias to your Samurai so he could learn Libra, your Knight will never be able to learn Potion Lore 1, and your Breaker Horology.

e:f,b lol

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 14, 2013

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

1st AD posted:

I think all the iOS ports will make it to Android, there's just some dumb exclusivity thing that the Japanese Play Store gets for Square Enix games.

I doubt 5 and 6 will receive 3D remakes though - 3 and 4 got them because those are just ports of the existing NDS versions.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Also, being way into my 20s (well, 29) and having a real full time job and a serious girlfriend really takes away from time I could spend wasting, er, investing on these kinds of games. I was hungry after work the other day and literally skipped making a salad so I could have 15 more minutes to play and just went hungry until dinner. I am shameful.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

voltron lion force posted:

Belias specifically though doesn't really matter. For most jobs he unlocks literally nothing and for a few others he opens up a very minor tile. I would just put him on whichever job actually gets something out of it. That is unless you really are playing with just 3 characters, in which case don't assign it at all since each character can only have 3 espers assigned and you don't wanna waste that slot.

A character can only have three QUICKENINGS, but one character could have all of the Espers. There are some jobs that get half of their utility from Espers, and will probably get more than 3; and other jobs that get almost nothing from them.

Also, to save potential frustration, you HAVE to give Belias to someone.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
In case no one mentioned it yet, in FF12 you'll probably want someone with Wither and whatever the other defense reducing ability is since they work on bosses and are generally really useful.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
So I'm almost done with Ni No Kuni and need another JRPG to play soon. I find myself looking at FFXIII-2 since it's like $5 used up here. I hated FFXIII, didn't finish it and did not enjoy a single minute of gameplay in it nor cared about any of the characters/story. A friend tells me "oh no they fixed all of the gently caress ups you'll like it" but I am dubious, is it that radically different or just lipstick on a pig type tweaks?

Also is that Versus game even being made anymore? Google gives me conflicting answers which is pretty amusing.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

I'm in the same boat. I think I'm like 75% of the way through the FFXIII story, but it was so non-linear and there was no point to using most of the characters, you could roll with the same 3 person party for most of the game.

In addition to the gameplay enhancements, is it necessary to have played XIII to completion? I suppose I could probably just find a story synopsis somewhere, anyway.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If you hated FF13 to its core there is probably no reason to get 13-2.

Versus is never coming out.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

pretend to care posted:

In addition to the gameplay enhancements, is it necessary to have played XIII to completion? I suppose I could probably just find a story synopsis somewhere, anyway.

There's a beginners primer in FFXIII-2 which recaps the entire story of FFXIII, so no it's not really necessary to have played it to completion. Hilariously enough, it summarizes the story of FFXIII more clearly than the actual game did.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

So I'm almost done with Ni No Kuni and need another JRPG to play soon. I find myself looking at FFXIII-2 since it's like $5 used up here. I hated FFXIII, didn't finish it and did not enjoy a single minute of gameplay in it nor cared about any of the characters/story. A friend tells me "oh no they fixed all of the gently caress ups you'll like it" but I am dubious, is it that radically different or just lipstick on a pig type tweaks?

Also is that Versus game even being made anymore? Google gives me conflicting answers which is pretty amusing.

Anyone who tells you that is lying. FFXIII-2 is worse than FFXIII in almost every way except it's less linear. (And still very linear.) The combat system is identical except any semblance of balance is gone which makes the fights insanely boring. The story is absolutely atrocious even by FFXIII standards. The characters are mostly stupid. I guess monster customization is kind of fun if you ignore that it's not necessary for anything but paid DLC.

I can see enjoying if it you enjoyed parts of FFXIII but if you hated all of it you'll hate it. Get Tales of Graces or something instead.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 14, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who tells you that is lying. FFXIII-2 is worse than FFXIII in almost every way except it's less linear. (And still very linear.)

Wow ok, nevermind then. Maybe I'll just replay Tales of Vesperia or something, jesus this gen sucks for JRPGs. I think I got more time out of my DS than all next gen consoles combined.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

Wow ok, nevermind then. Maybe I'll just replay Tales of Vesperia or something, jesus this gen sucks for JRPGs. I think I got more time out of my DS than all next gen consoles combined.

Yeah, JRPGs have moved over to handhelds. There's not a lot for consoles at all.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am going to pick up a few of the FF PSN games while the sale is still going on. Is there still a problem with load times in VI and is it gamebreaking or merely kind of annoying?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goetta posted:

I am going to pick up a few of the FF PSN games while the sale is still going on. Is there still a problem with load times in VI and is it gamebreaking or merely kind of annoying?

Yes. It isn't gamebreaking but it may be enough to put you off the game.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, JRPGs have moved over to handhelds. There's not a lot for consoles at all.

Yeah, I've noticed that, trying to get back into gaming somewhat recently and trying to use my PS3 as something other than a FIFA machine.

Which is generally regarded as better in this regard, Vita or 3DS?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

pretend to care posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that, trying to get back into gaming somewhat recently and trying to use my PS3 as something other than a FIFA machine.

The winds are blowing towards the 3DS right now. If nothing else you'd have Crimson Shroud and Fire Emblem Awakening to play immediately.

Vita has the PSP and PS1 back catalog, which is pretty badass, but in spite of that, I'm not sure what the future holds for Vita development.

edit: And seconding Tales of Graces. From the little I saw of my friend playing it, it looks like Vesperia++ in terms of gameplay. Can't speak to story or characters, but most reception I've seen has been positive. Beggars can't be choosers. Uh. Play Xenoblade.

victrix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 14, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pretend to care posted:

At the moment 3DS. It's got Fire Emblem, EO4, and a bunch of announced stuff like SMT4. Vita is kind of floundering at the moment. (3DS was too for its first year so Vita can easily recover.)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. It isn't gamebreaking but it may be enough to put you off the game.

Ok, thanks. Maybe I will just stick to the other PS1 titles since I played VI on the SNES and probably would lose my mind waiting for screens to load.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Anyone who tells you that is lying. FFXIII-2 is worse than FFXIII in almost every way except it's less linear. (And still very linear.) The combat system is identical except any semblance of balance is gone which makes the fights insanely boring. The story is absolutely atrocious even by FFXIII standards. The characters are mostly stupid. I guess monster customization is kind of fun if you ignore that it's not necessary for anything but paid DLC.

I can see enjoying if it you enjoyed parts of FFXIII but if you hated all of it you'll hate it. Get Tales of Graces or something instead.

The move from "total linearity" to "the game actually has legitimate choices about sequence" is a pretty big bullet in the absolute most-common criticism of FF13 (hallway interrupted by cutscenes), and while the combat system may be more imbalanced part of the reason is that they take the rails off it early on and actually let you train and customize your characters however you want instead of giving you access to 2 roles, constantly hitting you with level caps, and rapidly switching between party members.

The story is indeed pretty awful, but ultimately I'd call it a wash at worst. At least it feels like an actual videogame and not some kind of bizarre film the director made in a fever dream. And yeah, it certainly won't make anybody a believer in the power of the Lightning Saga.

Baku fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 14, 2013

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I hate that, too, because JRPGs are text heavy which means I don't like to try to play them on a small screen or in a moving vehicle. I feel like handhelds are best served by games that can be picked up and put down for 15 minutes.

I'm currently playing Resonance of Fate at home and FF Dimensions at work and both are enjoyable if not necessarily memorable. I have a ten-strong JRPG backlog on my 360, too.

Dross fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 14, 2013

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Lots of good info. Thanks guys. :golfclap:

I saw that there's a pre-loaded 3DS with the new Fire Emblem game floating around out there, which is intriguing.

I've actually got Vesperia coming to me via Amazon in a few days, but I want to at least get T and 9 out of the way first.

Sucks to hear XIII-2 is so widely panned. Oh well.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's a pretty big problem that I guess only makes sense for people who have a long commute on public transportation or something. I really hope some games like Persona 5 and Versus (come on guys you're gonna release both these games right) actually exist and revitalize the market for JRPGs on HD consoles by making cartoon dollars.

I kind of have this pet theory that why Versus at least has been on such a blackout is that it's going to be an early next-gen title, maybe even rebranded as FF15. Maybe that's what's going on with Persona, but P4 basically came out during the death throes of the PS2 as well.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

pretend to care posted:

Sucks to hear XIII-2 is so widely panned. Oh well.

It's not. If you liked XIII chances are you'll like XIII-2.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

I'd gladly take the train to work but it's $8 roundtrip for me in DC and I don't even come close to an end-to-end commute like some folks do. It's 10 minutes shorter and $4 cheaper to drive every day, which is shocking, considering this city is consistently rated as the worst for driving by like 10 different agencies/companies each year.

Yeah, sitting on my couch jamming away at a DS seems weird. I dunno, but I still enjoy these games when they're done right so I might just have to.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
And you know, thinking about it, there's a pretty good chance that even if Versus is a great game it'll suffer the financial brunt of the ire directed at 13. It's never the disappointing games that sell poorly, but the ones that come after them...

:negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The move from "total linearity" to "the game actually has legitimate choices about sequence" is a pretty big bullet in the absolute most-common criticism of FF13 (hallway interrupted by cutscenes), and while the combat system may be more imbalanced part of the reason is that they take the rails off it early on and actually let you train and customize your characters however you want instead of giving you access to 2 roles, constantly hitting you with level caps, and rapidly switching between party members.

The story is indeed pretty awful, but ultimately I'd call it a wash at worst. At least it feels like an actual videogame and not some kind of bizarre film the director made in a fever dream. And yeah, it certainly won't make anybody a believer in the power of the Lightning Saga.

It's not really legitimate choice though. It's illusion-of-choice just gussied up a bit. If your problem with FFXIII was literally "I would have liked this if I could pick which order to do things" then that's fine, but it isn't like it suddenly became nonlinear or your got to make significant choice. I doubt someone who hated the entire game would suddenly be okay with that. I can see it being the breaking point if you almost liked it but not otherwise.

Likewise "choice" doesn't really matter for FFXIII-2's combat system when choice results in all the flaws of the old system and a bunch of news ones beside. I liked FFXIII's combat system, but if you hated it FFXIII-2 isn't going to change your mind.

FFXIII-2 is the kind of game where the improvements might help if you almost liked FFXIII, but not if you hated every part.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zombies' Downfall posted:

And you know, thinking about it, there's a pretty good chance that even if Versus is a great game it'll suffer the financial brunt of the ire directed at 13. It's never the disappointing games that sell poorly, but the ones that come after them...

:negative:

3mil copies isn't half bad for a sequel and a jrpg in this era, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

I didn't mind the battle system in XIII, it's just every guide I looked at for hints with the hunts was basically like "yeah, you really only should ever use 3 characters. The rest are kind of pointless". Just felt like inexcusable lack of play balance for a game that took them like 5 years to make. Sounds like XIII-2 might be worth the $18 it's going for on Amazon.