Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

ddogflex posted:

I have an iPad 3 with OTA 6.1 jailbroken. If I do a restore in iTunes will it download the full 6.1 install so I can backup my SHSH blobs?

Yes. As long as you shift/option-click restore, and your device gets wiped, and you have to resync all apps/music/etc, you will be able to do the proper SHSH backup.

If after your restore you still have apps/music/etc, try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Ezrem posted:

Has anyone tried the pre-6.1 Messages.app-saves-every-picture fix of deleting the contents of /var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments?

I'm wondering if this deletes EVERY image, or just the ones in deleted messages. For obvious reasons I don't necessarily want to delete the images in saved messaging histories.

I did, and yes, it deletes images that are currently in your scrollback. Be sure to delete your backups and create a new one if you do this.

Anyone have the LockInfo 5 beta repo?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ezrem posted:

Yes. As long as you shift/option-click restore, and your device gets wiped, and you have to resync all apps/music/etc, you will be able to do the proper SHSH backup.

If after your restore you still have apps/music/etc, try again.

Shift-click would allow me to pick an IPSW, I don't have one downloaded to pick...

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

yamdankee posted:

LowPowerBanner should do this. I don't know about the no signal notification though. But definitely the low battery notifications.

Ta, doesn't work with io6 though. Thanks anyway.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
I paid $10 for IntelliScreen X and it's apparently not good for iOS6 without paying another $5. Well I don't need it that bad, so screw that. I'm actually not missing much, it was neat to have to begin with but 90% of the functionality is available elsewhere. I haven't even bothered installing NCSettings since I bought Auxo instead.

rikatix posted:

So Backgrounder just doesn't work, sends the phone to safe mode. Is there anything around that basically does the same thing as Backgrounder?
Well, actually this just popped up like yesterday (InfinityTask) and is cheap-ish for a day or so more. Feels like it's a lot cleaner/smaller than Backgrounder, too. I bought it, haven't really tested it at all yet, but I like the theory behind it (it doesn't run the whole app UI like Backgrounder but rather just extends the timeout to infinity for actual background/multitasking threads, which should be a lot kinder to the battery) (edit: and if I understand the japenglish correctly, lets you add another 10 minutes before the network connection goes away in the background, which should make IRC clients a lot less annoying to keep open while still saving you if you forget them altogether I guess)

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 14, 2013

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

bigis posted:

Is there a way to stop birthdays from showing up under Calendar in the Notification Center without disabling Facebook integration?

In case anyone is wondering you can do this with LockInfo by going to Settings.app -> LockInfo -> Notifications and Widgets -> Calendar -> Calendars -> deselect Birthdays.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there anything that reorders text messages on the lockscreen so that the oldest ones are at the top?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ezrem posted:

Has anyone tried the pre-6.1 Messages.app-saves-every-picture fix of deleting the contents of /var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments?

I'm wondering if this deletes EVERY image, or just the ones in deleted messages. For obvious reasons I don't necessarily want to delete the images in saved messaging histories.

PS - My folder is half a gig in size. I only have a few saved pictures here and there. This bug is no joke, friends.

It is capable of deleting pics even from active conversations. You get a broken image icon.

Use iFile. It's got an image browser. You can look before you delete when/if in doubt.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is there an ipad eReader, free or otherwise, that lets me edit the text in the book? Or an ipad text editor that can read ePubs?

I like to use my ipad to read public domain classics that are relatively obscure (:smug:), and the text is pretty much all converted from scans of ancient stained pages, meaning they are full of character errors that no one's bothered to correct. I can live with the errors ONLY if I can correct them as I read... seems like it should be a simple thing to do but I have no idea if programs exist for the iPad that would let me.

e: Eh, Plaintext looks okay. I'll just convert the ePubs to .txt on my PC and shove them into Dropbox. Sorry to have wasted this space!

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 14, 2013

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Where can I download the proper files to restore my iPhone 5 (6.0.1)? Trying to restore via iTunes but they're giving me static about their servers.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

NZP posted:

Where can I download the proper files to restore my iPhone 5 (6.0.1)? Trying to restore via iTunes but they're giving me static about their servers.

Apple only allows the installation of iOS 6.1. You cannot install 6.0.1 or 6.0.2.

iPhone 5 GSM: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/041-6485.20130128.mt0dy/iPhone5,1_6.1_10B143_Restore.ipsw

iPhone 5 CDMA: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/041-6487.20130128.Ihb56/iPhone5,2_6.1_10B143_Restore.ipsw

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 14, 2013

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks. I'm trying to restore because I think I've hosed this jailbreak up. I'm hitting restore (with CTRL held), navigating to the ipsw file and it's still telling me the iphone software update server is unavailable. What the gently caress?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

NZP posted:

Thanks. I'm trying to restore because I think I've hosed this jailbreak up. I'm hitting restore (with CTRL held), navigating to the ipsw file and it's still telling me the iphone software update server is unavailable. What the gently caress?

Check your Hosts file. It's always your Hosts file. Remove any "gs.apple.com" lines.

(Wait, are you trying to restore to an earlier version with saved SHSH blobs? In that case you need the TinyUmbrella TSS server running locally. Why aren't you restoring to 6.1 the normal way? The current jailbreak still works.)

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 14, 2013

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How do I do that?

edit: the normal way? Hit restore in iTunes? I am but I get the same error message.

ediiiiittt: I just want it back to normal, tbh. I'm out of my depth here.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm assuming you've run TinyUmbrella before? If so, it's probably left a line in your hosts file redirecting authentication requests away from Apple. On Windows I think the hosts is in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. On a mac the hosts is in /private/etc/hosts. Make a copy of the file to be safe, then open it in a text editor and remove any lines containing gs.apple.com (on a Mac, paste "open -a TextEdit /private/etc/hosts" in the Terminal.)

Reboot maybe, and iTunes should be able to do a normal, no special keys or anything restore.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 14, 2013

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aight, I'll try that. Never used Tinyumbrella in my life, no.

Edit: nup, no good. gently caress sake, just want to restore my phone back to pre-jailbreak. I've got in way too deep here.

edit: wait, I changed some passwords in terminal. Would that affect it?

NZP fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 14, 2013

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Does anyone happen to know of a good app that let's you do folders in folders? That's the only functionality I want, I need any other stuff. Free or cheap would be best.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Does anyone happen to know of a good app that let's you do folders in folders? That's the only functionality I want, I need any other stuff. Free or cheap would be best.

FolderEnhancer.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006
Seconding FolderEnhancer. I have this and Infinifolders. FE was significantly faster and better on my iPhone 4. So good that I didn't even bother trying Infinifolders when I jailbroke my 5.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

I want to un-jailbreak, but restoring to a previous backup or even erasing all of my content and settings fail to produce any result.

I have activator, iKeyEx, Winterboard, SBSettings, and biteSMS

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

uh zip zoom posted:

I want to un-jailbreak, but restoring to a previous backup or even erasing all of my content and settings fail to produce any result.

I have activator, iKeyEx, Winterboard, SBSettings, and biteSMS

A hard (option/shift/ctrl/whatever) restore within iTunes that wipes out all of your apps should get the job done. From there restore your backup and you won't be jailbroken anymore. To remove any jailbreak settings (not really necessary but not a bad practice) just uninstall your jailbreak apps from Cydia first.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Ezrem posted:

A hard (option/shift/ctrl/whatever) restore within iTunes that wipes out all of your apps should get the job done. From there restore your backup and you won't be jailbroken anymore. To remove any jailbreak settings (not really necessary but not a bad practice) just uninstall your jailbreak apps from Cydia first.

I uninstalled my packages, and tried a hard restore with iTunes, still no luck

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
If you've jailbroken your phone and you're reinstalling all your old software and you get a prompt that says 'An old icon layout has been detected. It may be quite old, do you want to restore it?' Don't say no. You want to restore it.

Now I need to recreate and put all 192 applications back into folders. :sigh:

:argh: FIVE ICON DICK SCREWS ME AGAIN :argh:

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 14, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bummey posted:

If you've jailbroken your phone and you're reinstalling all your old software and you get a prompt that says 'An old icon layout has been detected. It may be quite old, do you want to restore it?' Don't say no. You want to restore it.

Now I need to recreate and put all 192 applications back into folders. :sigh:

:argh: FIVE ICON DICK SCREWS ME AGAIN :argh:

Anything that alters folders (FolderEnhancer, Inififolders, whatever) or anything that alters icon placement/arrangement (gridlock, any "5 column" changes, etc) immediately breaks the native iOS & iTunes way of managing and memorizing icon and folder locations.

Keep that in mind. It may seem to "work", but it can leave you with icons all over.

uh zip zoom posted:

To "uninstall" a jailbreak:

* Backup in iTunes.
* Restore.
* Restore from Backup in iTunes.

The on-device "Erase" function does not work. A recommended tweak to install is ResetAllKiller. It disables the Reset/Erase buttons so people aren't tempted to ever touch them.

(jailbreaking also breaks the Remote Wipe that iCloud/Find my iPhone and Exchange do)

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Going mental here trying to change my lockscreen background for Typophone 4. Had an arse about in Winterboard, selecting user background and stuff but no, it only changes background when I use one of the pre-set wallpapers. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

NZP posted:

Going mental here trying to change my lockscreen background for Typophone 4. Had an arse about in Winterboard, selecting user background and stuff but no, it only changes background when I use one of the pre-set wallpapers. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Why are you trying to do something in Winterboard that is an included iOS feature? I think it's a deprecated feature by now.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

To "uninstall" a jailbreak:

* Backup in iTunes.
* Restore.
* Restore from Backup in iTunes.

did exactly this, ended up with the same results I used to have when trying to restore the factory settings from the device: it would get stuck trying to boot, and would eventually reboot to jail broken state.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dewgy posted:

Why are you trying to do something in Winterboard that is an included iOS feature? I think it's a deprecated feature by now.

I'm trying to change the background/wallpaper to use alongside Typograph 4.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Xenomorph posted:

Anything that alters folders (FolderEnhancer, Inififolders, whatever) or anything that alters icon placement/arrangement (gridlock, any "5 column" changes, etc) immediately breaks the native iOS & iTunes way of managing and memorizing icon and folder locations.

Keep that in mind. It may seem to "work", but it can leave you with icons all over.

I finally got all my icons and folders set up, then my phone crashed, it restarted in safe mode and the folders blew up again. I exited safe mode, restarted and my folders were set up how they were before this whole jailbreak mess. Wonderful? Right? Nope, crash again, folders blown up again.

This isn't a very reliable jailbreak, is it? And to top it off, Lockinfo isn't updated for 6. Boy I sure am glad I jailbroke 6 without reading the last few pages :)

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

NZP posted:

I'm trying to change the background/wallpaper to use alongside Typograph 4.

He's saying change the background in Settings.app, not Winterboard. Doesn't the default wallpaper for Typophone 4 say exactly this?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

NZP posted:

As I recall you'll need to SSH into the Typophone directory and replace the old wallpaper in there.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thirst Mutilator posted:

He's saying change the background in Settings.app, not Winterboard. Doesn't the default wallpaper for Typophone 4 say exactly this?

Aye but I don't want to use a default wallpaper.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

NZP posted:

Aye but I don't want to use a default wallpaper.

Sorry, I didn't parse your post correctly. I had a non-default wallpaper working as the background when I did it - dunno what could be your issue.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Fixed it. Thanks.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

uh zip zoom posted:

did exactly this, ended up with the same results I used to have when trying to restore the factory settings from the device: it would get stuck trying to boot, and would eventually reboot to jail broken state.

literally no backup that I have (and I made several before jail breaking) will bring me back to my pre-jail broken state. Is there some way I can restore factory settings without using iTunes? Because iTunes doesn't work or I'm not doing it right.

Edit: can somebody help me?

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 15, 2013

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

uh zip zoom posted:

literally no backup that I have (and I made several before jail breaking) will bring me back to my pre-jail broken state. Is there some way I can restore factory settings without using iTunes? Because iTunes doesn't work or I'm not doing it right.

Edit: can somebody help me?

Are you on OSX or Windows? Have you checked for gs.apple.com in /etc/hosts file or whatever the windows equivalent is?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

adm posted:

Are you on OSX or Windows? Have you checked for gs.apple.com in /etc/hosts file or whatever the windows equivalent is?

I'm in Windows, and I don't know what the other thing is.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Check out this file and see if you have a gs.apple.com entry in it. If so, delete it. Report back.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

adm posted:

Check out this file and see if you have a gs.apple.com entry in it. If so, delete it. Report back.

I did, and it's gone. Any further instructions or can I try restoring again?

Edit: also found it in hosts.umbrella, and deleted it there as well

uh zip zoom fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

uh zip zoom posted:

I did, and it's gone. Any further instructions or can I try restoring again?

Edit: also found it in hosts.umbrella, and deleted it there as well

You can restore now.

• Locked thread