Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Rinkles posted:

The level design was a bit drab, but conceptually I really liked that sequence.

The Marine story was actually pretty good. Not $60 good, mind you, but I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ravenfood posted:

It really is jarring that they constantly call you "rookie". Its weirdly overly done. Just give the main character name and then you don't have to use completely strange titles for him all the time.

Yeah the voice acting and writing were pretty bad.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

ReV VAdAUL posted:

They also mention sex with Arcturians and I always assumed that was a kind of alien given the comment "the one you had was male" but they could've just been ladybodys I guess. But if they are alien it would seem they're somewhat sentient or the Marines are remarkably unrepentant about beastiality.

According to the Aliens pen & paper RPG, Arcturians are

"mammal-like creatures that are about the same size as humans"
"society like ants"
"live in underground hives"
"single large queen which lays eggs"
"semi-intelligent, with mental abilities similar to those of lower apes"
"eyeless...find their way using sonar"

There is more detail but basically, eeewwww Frost basically hosed an eyeless, cave dwelling bat-ape.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

lady blue shanghai posted:

The difference, and it's a huge one, is that black women are not a privileged class.

Actually they are in the Aliens™ universe. Its canon.

Scorchy posted:

There was some concept art and early leaked footage from 2008 or so

That looks loving horrendous and Im glad its canceled.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Apparently there is a rumour that Gearbox is working on an 8gb patch for the game. That's larger than the game itself.

If true - which I find really, really unlikely, but we can always hope - that means it would be effectively replacing the entire game. I guess it would still have the same lovely story, but maybe we'd actually get the graphics and AI and animations we saw in the old previews?

(Which begs the question, why would they not release that in the first place? Even if it was horriblty buggy and prone to continually crashing, that would just mean it was like Fallout 3 or New Vegas...)

EDIT: Looks like it was just a joke someone did on twitter. Thought it would be something like that.

Crappy Jack posted:

This is where I point out that that cat has outsurvived basically every character in the franchise. That cat is a badass.

Looks like Jones is showing off that badassery in your avatar animation.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 14, 2013

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

JebanyPedal posted:

I don't buy that, Alien 3 is a clunky film that was definitely hampered by production issues, but thematically and performance-wise it's a sound film, it doesn't poo poo over anything, all it did was piss off fanboys at the time.

Alright so you didn't really "get" Aliens that's cool.

It's a poorly put together film in a variety of ways and it's obvious that there are glaring omissions and poor decisions (Hicks/Newt obviously being one but killing off Charles Dance really weakened the film and Golic's plot line is severely truncated).

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 14, 2013

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Also can someone confirm that it's not just my memories acting up and that the audio quality on Alien³ really was terrible?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Scratch2k posted:

There is more detail but basically, eeewwww Frost basically hosed an eyeless, cave dwelling bat-ape.

Frost always came across as a creepy loving weirdo to me so this fits his character as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Wait no. Frost was the nice black guy. That doesn't fit at all. I was thinking of the second steadycam mg42 guy that wasn't vasquez. He's the guy I could see loving a blind cave dwelling bat ape. :v:

had to look it up. Drake. Drake came across as more weird than ultimate badass to me. Plus, didn't he try to shoot Newt?

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 14, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The existence of Alien 3 and Prometheus is justified by the spergin' sci-fi geek outrage alone. The fact that they're good movies is just a bonus.

:spergin: : These scientists aren't pure rational actors! And one of them believes in *shudder* The Invisible Sky Wizard! And they don't neatly tie up every single plot point and answer every question! Worst. Movie. Ever.

Except Alien 3 is not a good movie. I just explained why. Mainly the fact that the loving ending is Ripley doing a Jesus-swandive into lava as a chestburster pops out of her in slow motion.

That has nothing to do with "spergin.'" It's called having standards.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Scorchy posted:

There was some concept art and early leaked footage from 2008 or so

A link to a blog which took content from another blog which took content from a post on RPG Codex which took content from a post on the Obsidian forums. I hate the internet.

EDIT: Not jumping on you, Scorchy, just what a black hole of original content internet journalism has become.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I had no idea anyone defended Alien 3. If you like that movie you have questionable taste, full stop.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

John Magnum posted:

Also can someone confirm that it's not just my memories acting up and that the audio quality on Alien³ really was terrible?

Nope, not just you, the audio mix on the film is atrocious. It's almost impossible to hear dialogue at some points.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I had no idea anyone defended Alien 3. If you like that movie you have questionable taste, full stop.

Yeah I don't get this at all. I loved 1 & 2 and managed to at least get through 4 but I couldn't even finish 3 it was so bad.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Now now 3 is much better than Resurrection. They're both bad but the fourth movie is just complete garbage.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Jefferoo posted:

Except Alien 3 is not a good movie. I just explained why. Mainly the fact that the loving ending is Ripley doing a Jesus-swandive into lava as a chestburster pops out of her in slow motion.

That has nothing to do with "spergin.'" It's called having standards.

What wrong with the swan dive? You've repeated that, but havfen't explained why you think its so terrible.

Movie bad because thing happened, isn't "explaining".

Edit: I haven't seen the movie for a long time and don't remember liking it as much as first 2, the agruement about it is interesting, I actually do want to know why you think the swan dive ruined it for you. I'm suprised I stuck it through Reserection it was so bad.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 14, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Scratch2k posted:

According to the Aliens pen & paper RPG, Arcturians are

"mammal-like creatures that are about the same size as humans"
"society like ants"
"live in underground hives"
"single large queen which lays eggs"
"semi-intelligent, with mental abilities similar to those of lower apes"
"eyeless...find their way using sonar"

:stare: well that certainly makes you wonder about the person who wrote the RPG sourcebook.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'll never understand the hate for Alien 3, the theatrical version is far from perfect but a lot of the flaws I felt were fixed in the DC.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
To fix the flaws in Alien 3 you would have to make an entirely different movie.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

To fix the flaws in Alien 3 you would have to make an entirely different movie.

what was so terribly flawed in the movie?

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8J8SzBhjqaQ

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Jefferoo posted:

How the gently caress are people in this thread saying that Alien 3 is a good movie. For gently caress's sake, it ends with Ripley taking the loving Jesus dive into the lava as a chestburster explodes out of her in slow motion, as Weyland and his really piss poorly costume designed space marine men look on in despair. It's stupid. It's so insanely overdramatically dumb and against what made Alien and Aliens so good. The whole "killing off Hicks and Newt was a great gently caress you to the viewer" is also mind-numbingly dumb, not because of the fact that they did it, but because it was done so lazily and casually, like "hey, we don't need these characters anymore, kill them in the pods!" which maybe makes sense from a realism perspective, but from the perspective of opening a film, is just dumb.

First of all I haven't seen Alien 3 in ages, but if these two are main the reasons why it is hated it can't be that bad. Killing characters not needed anymore off-screen may be lazy, but pretty common practice and for me at least not a huge thing. Especially since, while Hicks was an ok character, the moment you saw Newt you knew she was a plot device the force them to go back just when they had almost got out. The lava jump burst was overly dramatic it really wasn't much worse than the whole Newt episode.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Proof that bad games make the best threads. This is incredible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zilkin posted:

First of all I haven't seen Alien 3 in ages, but if these two are main the reasons why it is hated it can't be that bad. Killing characters not needed anymore off-screen may be lazy, but pretty common practice and for me at least not a huge thing. Especially since, while Hicks was an ok character, the moment you saw Newt you knew she was a plot device the force them to go back just when they had almost got out. The lava jump burst was overly dramatic it really wasn't much worse than the whole Newt episode.

Wow, you managed to miss the entire point of Newt's existence.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Photex posted:

what was so terribly flawed in the movie?

Ignoring the meh script, probably the terrible looking aliens. Someone decided it would be a good idea to use CG aliens and it just looks so loving awful. Despite all that A3 is still 10 times the movie that piece of poo poo Prometheus was. There are all kinds of justifications for A3 but Prometheus was just irredeemable poo poo.

Scratch2k
Jul 30, 2002
( . ) ( . )

InterFaced posted:

Frost always came across as a creepy loving weirdo to me so this fits his character as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Wait no. Frost was the nice black guy. That doesn't fit at all. I was thinking of the second steadycam mg42 guy that wasn't vasquez. He's the guy I could see loving a blind cave dwelling bat ape. :v:

had to look it up. Drake. Drake came across as more weird than ultimate badass to me. Plus, didn't he try to shoot Newt?

Yeah I just rewatched the scene and it was definitely Frost who says "sure wouldn't mind getting some more of that Arcturian poontang" while slapping hands with Hudson, to which Spunkmeyer replies "Yeah, Except the one you had was male."

Kind of implies that they are all bat-ape loving perverts. There goes Frosts clean cut image, sorry.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Lowtax please move Games from the Discussion section to Finer Arts. It finally happened, Games Are Art now.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The Alien3 discussion reminds me a lot of the Doom 3 discussion, where it's not that bad on its own, but when watched/played with the expectation of something resembling the first two entries you're left hanging. I haven't actually watched it despite having the quadrilogy boxed set, I should give it a go. Normal version then extended, right?

Also since I was gifted a copy of AVP2010 but have also never played it, I'm thinking about trying it out instead of this game. I feel like I've dodged a bullet by not pre-ordering Colonial Marines but I still have an itch that only be scratched with the sound of motion detectors and pulse rifles.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, you managed to miss the entire point of Newt's existence.

Wasn't Ripley's daughter only alluded to in the Special Edition, or was that not the point you were making?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Jesus Christ, take this poo poo to CineD. People have different tastes but it seems like everyone wants to state that either Alien 3 sucked or owned as if it is some kind of objective fact. Some people didn't like it and other people did like it.

Honestly, I think it is far better than people give it credit for due to scenes like the autopsy and the funeral.

Prometheus is the same way. I would hardly call that a trainwreck and most people in CineD would say that it was a good film.

I only briefly played Colonial Marines but from what I have played, it seems quite below average. What is everyone's opinion on the multiplayer?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Someguy posted:

Ignoring the meh script, probably the terrible looking aliens. Someone decided it would be a good idea to use CG aliens and it just looks so loving awful. Despite all that A3 is still 10 times the movie that piece of poo poo Prometheus was. There are all kinds of justifications for A3 but Prometheus was just irredeemable poo poo.

Apart from it blowing up in the foundry, the alien is not CGI and is a rod puppet.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alien 3 - Ripley Newt and Hicks live happily ever after and nothing really happens I guess an alien is in there somewhere too maybe the end. A+++ movie would buy the bluray.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Apart from it blowing up in the foundry, the alien is not CGI and is a rod puppet.

I love bringing this up whenever the practical effects circlejerk starts up anywhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Wasn't Ripley's daughter only alluded to in the Special Edition, or was that not the point you were making?

Ripley's daughter being mentioned adds context to the plot that's already there, but if you somehow manage to miss the whole motherhood thing or Ripley reconnecting with another person who suffered similar trauma or... basically everything about Ripley's character arc in the film I'm not sure what to say. Hicks is a billion times less important to the film then Newt is.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHvp1sIUcd0

This actually looks...kinda good?

Graphically miles ahead of Aliens: Colon anyway.
You know the thing I noticed when watching this video is that they actually added a front sight (didn't see a rear one but it doesn't matter cause you don't use them in game anyway) without it looking totally out of place like the A:CM iron sights.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Ripley's daughter is brought up after they thaw out Ripley and are filling her in on how long she's been asleep. They found her but she died a short while before they found the Nostromo life boat.
Newt also asks if Ripley had a daughter and where she was.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Since this discussion sort of careened into Alien 3 territory, I wish they used Gibson's ideas for Alien 3 for the story instead of whatever the gently caress they did (in this perfect world, the game would be not crap). All you do is just pretend the movie Alien 3 never happened and just do his script, or at least his ideas. It seems it has plenty of action and new stories to surprise players. You could also play as Hicks, not some no-name. That way you don't have to be called Rookie all the drat time. Plus with no other marines there would be no OSCAR MIKE OSCAR MIKE all over the loving place. And holy poo poo am I ever tired of hearing that in video games.

Though I guess Fox would have squashed that idea, but who knows since they wrote up Hicks as living.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 15, 2013

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Oh so just all the times you actually see the alien? Also it was a rod puppet in front of a blue screen, and still looked terrible.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Yeah it's only CGI in that one scene of it dying.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

zVxTeflon posted:

That looks loving horrendous and Im glad its canceled.
It's scattered leaked concept art and footage from what was literally the third milestone build of a new engine.

Crappy Jack posted:

This is where I point out that that cat has outsurvived basically every character in the franchise. That cat is a badass.
It's true.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

rope kid posted:

It's scattered leaked concept art and footage from what was literally the third milestone build of a new engine.

It's true.

it was all Dallas's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Loving how cheery Yaphet Kotto looks on the satchel.

• Locked thread