Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Der-Wreck posted:

Awesome! The music was so kick rear end. Can't wait to bust some heads to some heavy metal again!

This song. This song right here. Basically every time Rei is on screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CukneV3O7Q

So awesome. :black101:

It would be pretty awesome if they ever did another TV adaption (or a new dub of the old one) if they used some of the music from the games. I think I remember someone edited the part where Kenshiro kills Amiba in the TV show to include the short song that plays when you beat a boss and god drat does it fit perfectly even in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

PureRok posted:

Man, Wen Yang looks awesome. I love his moves. Can't wait until DW8 comes out, holy poo poo.

Really? I thought he looked pretty lame and awkward (much like his design in general) and that slide with absolutely no animation is ugly.

On the plus side, Zhuge Dan and Xu Shu's movesets look really awesome and Yueying with goddamn bombers rules.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Just finished up watching the new movesets for 8 and Jesus, Zhuge Dan has the angriest moveset.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Suben posted:

Really? I thought he looked pretty lame and awkward (much like his design in general) and that slide with absolutely no animation is ugly.

On the plus side, Zhuge Dan and Xu Shu's movesets look really awesome and Yueying with goddamn bombers rules.

Not a fan of the Wonder characters in WO3? Anime sliding is cool and a great way to keep your combo going.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Belzac posted:

Not a fan of the Wonder characters in WO3? Anime sliding is cool and a great way to keep your combo going.

Alas I'm a fan of those big meaty finishers that send jackasses flying, kill fast, and otherwise have recovery periods that throttle your combo-ability. Such is life.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
Well, Shuten Doji is Wonder and his finisher involves him growing 30+ feet tall and stomping all over the enemy army like Godzilla. I am pretty sure that super ended up one of my favorite things in the world when I do it. I giggle insanely every time it hits. Managing to set him up so he's full of Musou a lot-and maxed attack-even captains get oneshot when they get hit by his king-size curbstomp.

He's only in WO3, though.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Just a heads up, you can screenshot in the Edit mode demo by hitting the PS button and scrolling over to pictures and hitting the screenshot option. Not useful for battle but hey.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Maybe it wasn't known but for a brief window after hitting an enemy with a Wonder character you can dash forward, breaking the guard of any enemy your touch. Just tap the X button. It makes it so you can follow up on guys you've knocked away or break through defenses.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

The GIG posted:

Just a heads up, you can screenshot in the Edit mode demo by hitting the PS button and scrolling over to pictures and hitting the screenshot option. Not useful for battle but hey.

Oh, cool. Thanks. Does this work on every game, or just some of them?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Only some games. It's like how PS3 games can use the XMB menu for save files. Something that's available if a developer decides to use it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PureRok posted:

Oh, cool. Thanks. Does this work on every game, or just some of them?

Only some. Soulcalibur V allows it in its character editor too. Some games have their own screenshot function that saves to photos (Wipeout HD, LBP1/2, Uncharted 2/3MP). Some games even do video recording of replays (Soulcalibur V, DOA5, Uncharted 2/3).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I wish they did it like the Vita and just let you press the PS button + Start and have it take a screenshot right then.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Even that doesn't work for EVERY game. It's outright disabled in UMVC3 and Wipeout 2048 only allows you to use its photo taking mode.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

TK Europe posted what looks like bits of the Manual explaining bits of how Empires mode works.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just got to the part in Romance where Liu Bei goes to meet Zhuge Liange and boy to they draw it out! Not that I blame the writer, but it does make me wish I was fluent in Mandarin because there are a loving ton of poems and I can definitely sense that something got lost in translation.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I just got to the part in Romance where Liu Bei goes to meet Zhuge Liange and boy to they draw it out! Not that I blame the writer, but it does make me wish I was fluent in Mandarin because there are a loving ton of poems and I can definitely sense that something got lost in translation.
Nowhereas funny as the 2010 series where Zhuge Liang's first act upon waking up is to cough and fan out the smoke caused by Zhang Fei setting his house on fire.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

There's a dude on youtube who actually has the entire 2010 series uploaded. Just started watching it a few days ago.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
I've played Pretty much all the DW and SW and orochi games... but I've never played an empires game. Just how different is empires from standard 7 and is it worth an immediate purchase? I like unlocking and levelling all the characters and play most of the games for 60-100 hours and I guess my question is how similar to standard 7 will it be? If it's going to be the same battles with a different command screen before every battle my interest isn't that high. If they redid all the battles at least somewhat and move sets and whatnot I'd be all aboard.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jian-ifer Lo-pez.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Onion Rings posted:

I've played Pretty much all the DW and SW and orochi games... but I've never played an empires game. Just how different is empires from standard 7 and is it worth an immediate purchase? I like unlocking and levelling all the characters and play most of the games for 60-100 hours and I guess my question is how similar to standard 7 will it be? If it's going to be the same battles with a different command screen before every battle my interest isn't that high. If they redid all the battles at least somewhat and move sets and whatnot I'd be all aboard.

It might be best to wait until it actually comes out in English so you can get some concrete opinions from this thread, a lot of stuff at this point will be based on the released materials. I'm also going by some assumptions based on previous Empires games, which may not turn out to be true. And I should mention that my two favorite DW games are DW7 and DW5:Empires, so I'm heavily biased and massively hyped.

That being said, whether the battles have been "redone" isn't really a question that makes sense, because the battle aren't the same, except for having the same battle map. The battle of (for example) Xia Pi won't necessarily feature a Cao Cao/Liu Bei alliance versus Lu Bu executing a flood attack. It will be whichever force holds Xia Pi defending against whichever force decides to invade, potentially utilizing a flood attack stratagem (or a fire attack, or something else entirely? How about peasant volunteers, bandits, armor troops, juggernauts? Though I don't know if all of these are available stratagems in the game, they have been in earlier Empires games), either side could have allies or reinforcements from their adjacent territories (which, if they include this stratagem from previous games, could be blockaded from arriving). You won't be following the ROTK story, you'll be forging your own, which also means the cutscenes will be more "generic". That is, you shouldn't expect to see Cao Cao ordering Lu Bu's execution, or Zhao Yun rescuing an infant Liu Shan, but you might see your character grieving the death of his sworn brother, saying a few words to his troops before battle, or being appointed Emperor.

The battles themselves will largely revolve around capturing bases to extend your supply lines to the enemy main camp, in order to capture it (usually by beating up the enemy commander). If you're the commander of the force (you could also be a simple officer, under the command of a superior) you'll be able to order the other officers on your side where to attack and defend, to follow another officer or yourself or try to hunt down specific enemy officers. The website also lists "mission battles" which will apparently have other objectives like scouting or assassination. Previous games have also featured historical battles, if you start the game in the appropriate era, and conditions permit. I don't know if this feature is making a return, but examples would be the Yellow Turban Rebellion or Hu Lao Gate.

One of the neat things is how much you can break history. Most scenarios will start with forces laid out in a way that are consistent with ROTK, but from there it could go anywhere. Want to play as Zhang Jiao and unite the land under the way of peace? I did just that in 5:Empires. Want to play as Zhao Yun and rebel against Liu Bei to form your own kingdom? Doesn't make much sense in the context of ROTK, but apparently now you can. Or you can just pick an unoccupied province and make your own little force of custom and/or unaligned officers.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Thanks, I think you actually sold it for me.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Also, they updated a lot of characters movesets further, decloning several of them (Da Qiao no longer uses a fan, Zhu Rong gets her boomerang back leaving those lovely throwing knives to Wang Yuanji, etc)

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also, they updated a lot of characters movesets further, decloning several of them (Da Qiao no longer uses a fan, Zhu Rong gets her boomerang back leaving those lovely throwing knives to Wang Yuanji, etc)

Knives are the poo poo, play some WO3 and just spam triple attacks all day long. Mix with Chronos for increasingly ridiculous combo counts.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I don't know how I didn't see this before but TK is doing a full media blitz for DW8 in Japan which includes a lot of cross promotions and the like. What does this mean? 7-UP COSTUME!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

I don't know how I didn't see this before but TK is doing a full media blitz for DW8 in Japan which includes a lot of cross promotions and the like. What does this mean? 7-UP COSTUME!

Zhao Yun: the bubbliest, most refreshing ancient Chinese warlord.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Everyone's favorite otaku bait, now as a vocaloid!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Everyone's favorite otaku bait, now as a vocaloid!

Isn't she a body pillow too? What else is there even left to check off on the "How to Appeal to Moe Otaku" checklist at this point?

Suben fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 16, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Suben posted:

Isn't she a body pillow too? God she's terrible.

They also have body pillows for Cao Pi and Lu Xun, so the terrible is spread around.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Belzac posted:

Ahahaha! My god I can just imagine the possibilities: Sun Jian Wheaties! Sima Yi Slurpee! Guan Yu E-Trade! The sky is the limit :signings:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Hatsune Miku goes back in time and hooks up with her new best friend Wang Yuanji for wacky hijinx.

(she's already in SRW, after all...)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Ahahaha! My god I can just imagine the possibilities: Sun Jian Wheaties! Sima Yi Slurpee! Guan Yu E-Trade! The sky is the limit :signings:

wheres angrychugginglubu.jpg

edit:

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

"Can anyone provide me with a decent soft drink!?"

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I'd be pissed too if I had to drink Pepsi NEX(T?) Zero.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've only made two characters with the officer edit demo so far, but I got a kick out the options available. For my 2nd slot I made the same weeaboo bullshit character I created for DW4. It's lame as hell, but the nostalgia bomb was totally worth it.:allears:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Why is Wang Yuanji so popular among creepy nerds, what the hell.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Is character female: Y/N

e: VVV Yes, it is real. Koei has a lot of cross-promotions in Japan.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

This is one of the most perfect pictures I have ever seen.

It's a real advertisement, right? Not just an edit to make fun of the others?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Schubalts posted:

Is character female: Y/N

Does she keep her love hidden (and pure): Y/N

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

This is one of the most perfect pictures I have ever seen.

It's a real advertisement, right? Not just an edit to make fun of the others?

Yes, it was a cross promotion with Pepsi Next (Nex in Japan) for Dynasty Warriors Next. It's been in the OP since day 1 and is my swipe screen on my Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Raserys posted:

Why is Wang Yuanji so popular among creepy nerds, what the hell.

She's pretty much a check list of poo poo otaku love.

Tsundere? Yep.
Tits? There's another one.
Sexy-Cute design where she still looks fairly young? And another.
That weird deal with the thigh skin between the skirt and stockings? She's got that too.

There's probably some other stuff I'm forgetting but she's tailor made for that crowd (maybe to counter the fujoshi fanbase?) and it's obviously worked given that she tops character popularity polls in Japan and fans in the west seem to love her as well.

Suben fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 16, 2013