Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

e2: Is it cynical of me to think Nintendo had the Direct today specifically to deflect attention from this stuff?

If it was to deflect they did a bad job, they announced poo poo-all for the WiiU.

Those numbers are horrific though. As you said, don't give a console a confusing name and then fail to market it and have any games out for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well hopefully they pull a 3ds with this one. It looks like it's doing great and it started it pretty bad.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

Well hopefully they pull a 3ds with this one. It looks like it's doing great and it started it pretty bad.

Yeah, I hope so too. The price cut was a big part of the 3DS resurgence though, and I dunno if they'll be able to do that with the U considering they're already taking a loss on each one.

They just need games, man. And soon.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Software sales for the Wii U were just south of $15 million. Sounds like games aren't flying off the shelves either.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think that includes eShop, but obviously eShop probably isn't exactly gangbusters.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Crowbear posted:

e2: Is it cynical of me to think Nintendo had the Direct today specifically to deflect attention from this stuff?

Nope, this is probably exactly why they did it. It wasn't to announce anything new, because so far the biggest thing to come out of it was the Mario U DLC, which could have gone out in a tweet. The other biggest stuff was all 3DS related.

I would imagine March will be where it hits its first big jump in sales, due to a big Lego game and Monster Hunter.

HMC
May 18, 2009

greatn posted:

Do you seriously think putting Peach or Daisy in overalls would be brand damaging?

Super Mario Adventures had the best Peach. She got poo poo DONE.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

The Operative posted:

Software sales for the Wii U were just south of $15 million. Sounds like games aren't flying off the shelves either.

Hell, I'm surprised it's that high. I can only assume that was the 55k new Wii U owners buying NSMBU/ZombiU or something because I have no idea what else could possibly generate that much revenue. Were there any games released in January that weren't blatant shovelware?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Punch-Out!! Wii producer wanted to include Peach as one of the opponents; I kinda wish they'd gone with her over the character they ultimately used.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah I watched Community on Tvii tonight to scope the activity levels. It's not the most popular show, obviously, but activity was like, 3 people tops.

I mean, like others have said, this is what happens when you release a console with a confusing name, no advertising, that is basically an X-box 360 with slower software and a touch screen no one was hankering for(even if it's useful).

You'd think in January some people would be spending their Christmas money on it at least.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Making the Luigi DLC single player only is a bad decision. I hope they change their minds.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
It seems like although Nintendo has learned their lesson about launching a console with little to no software (the Wii U's launch library was arguably the strongest of any console/handheld in recent memory), they still haven't learned that you need to follow it up with something. Even if all they were offering were cross-platform ports of new upcoming games, I would probably buy them over the 360 and PS3 versions just so I could add something to my Wii U library.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Almost Smart posted:

It seems like although Nintendo has learned their lesson about launching a console with little to no software (the Wii U's launch library was arguably the strongest of any console/handheld in recent memory), they still haven't learned that you need to follow it up with something. Even if all they were offering were cross-platform ports of new upcoming games, I would probably buy them over the 360 and PS3 versions just so I could add something to my Wii U library.

But no one is willing to make said cross-platform ports. Despite the fact that they'd have a completely open field and a fanbase desperate for anything that's not complete garbage. Not that it excuses December and January, but they did have Rayman lined up for two weeks from now (until Ubi delayed it, so it can get passed up in September).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Has 3rd party stuff ever sold that much on Nintendo systems?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Alteisen posted:

It was great on the SNES.

e: I am old.

\/\/\/ hahahahah \/\/\/

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Alteisen posted:

Super Nintendo :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They probably should've put better horsepower in the thing. It's okay to say it now. The mainstream crowd is not impressed and the developers are avoiding it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

They probably should've put better horsepower in the thing. It's okay to say it now. The mainstream crowd is not impressed and the developers are avoiding it.

They should have made a next-gen console. People have been saying that since its debut when Nintendo was cagey on what it could do but fanboys were screaming "NINTENDO DON'T PLAY THAT GAME, SON."

They reached parity with the PS3. Which is great. The PS4 is being announced next week, though, soooo...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crowbear posted:

If I could ask Iwata/Reggie any question, it would be to ask what they plan to do about the fact that no one outside of nerds on internet forums are aware that the Wii U is a new system rather than a tablet that you connect to your Wii.

The horsepower is a letdown though. I understand the balance of keeping the price down, getting the system out in a certain time frame and so on but this really should have at least been powerful enough to have the definitive, be all end all version of any game from this gen on it rather than "it's pretty good buuuut..."

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

The gamepad already makes it more expensive to produce, so I'm guessing their choice was horsepower vs. touchscreen and they went with the touchscreen.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Crowbear posted:

The gamepad already makes it more expensive to produce, so I'm guessing their choice was horsepower vs. touchscreen and they went with the touchscreen.

And to be fair to Nintendo, prior to the Wii U, that's a game they've played twice now and won both times.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crowbear posted:

The gamepad already makes it more expensive to make, so I'm guessing their choice was horsepower vs. touchscreen and they went with the touchscreen.
I'm sure they had lots of reasons for why they did things. But they could still end up being the wrong decisions.

If, for example, Nintendo is a company that can survive a dozen failed consoles, then they should have sucked it up and taken a greater loss per unit to make it future proof instead of potentially dead-on-arrival. They chose short term gain over long term.

Even a NSMB game, historically a titanic system-mover, is not helping.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Crowbear posted:

The gamepad already makes it more expensive to make, so I'm guessing their choice was horsepower vs. touchscreen and they went with the touchscreen.

Which was the wrong choice.

I haven't enjoyed a Nintendo controller since the SNES, to be honest. The N64 was dumb compared to the Dualshock. C-Buttons instead of either a second stick or a regular six button pad? The Gamecube controller is also dumb. A C-Stick that time instead of a regular second analog, plus a button layout that made the average consumer look at it as though it were made that way due to Nintendo losing a bet. The Wii proved that Motion Gaming was fun for five minutes. And now the Gamepad, which takes the DS experience and puts it in the living room, which is where no one who spends any money on video games wants to play a DS.

I'm making GBS threads on it, yeah, but I'm still buying the Wii U. Because I will always want to play a 2D Mario game. But really, everybody always says that Nintendo can do all this stuff because they've opted out of the traditional console war. But I really, really want them to fight that war and win it, because Nintendo is fuckin' great and could crush if they decided to actually play that game.

:goonsay:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

I'm sure they had lots of reasons for why they did things. But they could still end up being the wrong decisions.

If, for example, Nintendo is a company that can survive a dozen failed consoles, then they should have sucked it up and taken a greater loss per unit to make it future proof instead of potentially dead-on-arrival.

I agree with you. I was just pointing out their likely rationale for going the direction they did.

Man, the internet is going bananas about this stuff. Yeah, the numbers are bad, but I'm seeing people calling for Iwata and Reggie's heads for this.

I mean, I'm all for getting rid of Reggie because he's awful, but they can pry Iwata out of my cold, dead hands :colbert:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Gotta say the only really outlandish thing I've read today isn't that Nintendo needs to replace Iwata as CEO but that they should bring in someone totally foreign to the company to lead them into the future.

Like you couldn't even nominate someone along the lines of (just wildly throwing a name out here) Dylan Cuthbert because he's already a known factor within Nintendo and wouldn't shake things up enough.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Making the Luigi DLC single player only is a bad decision. I hope they change their minds.

Why is it a bad decision? From the clips I saw of the video, it seems like the Luigi DLC will be more difficult than the main game, there's a good chance it will be designed around only having one player (see: that tall elevator/bullet bill clip) as opposed to the relatively wide-open areas of the main game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I'm crazy but I think the tablet thing hurt them, the appeal of the Wii to non gamers was how simple it looked, the main Wii U controller is the complete opposite of that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, being single-player only means they can design tighter bottlenecks and tougher obstacles that don't have to accommodate for the possibility of other players. You can only push the difficulty so far before the whole multiplayer aspect becomes problematic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Gotta say the only really outlandish thing I've read today isn't that Nintendo needs to replace Iwata as CEO but that they should bring in someone totally foreign to the company to lead them into the future.
If by foreign you mean someone outside of Nintendo entirely, cause Nintendo of America isn't exactly a well oiled machine.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, being single-player only means they can design tighter bottlenecks and tougher obstacles that don't have to accommodate for the possibility of other players. You can only push the difficulty so far before the whole multiplayer aspect becomes problematic.
They should enable it as an unlock after you beat it, anyway. If the decision behind it really was because of the difficulty, it would be hilarious. Or at the very least, prove why they did it and satisfy those that "demand" it no matter what.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

If by foreign you mean someone outside of Nintendo entirely, cause Nintendo of America isn't exactly a well oiled machine.

Yes that's what I mean. Some people seem to want someone with no prior mistakes in choice making on their record and not "tainted" by any personal bias that might result in a bad decision to overhaul the company by gutting out any and all problems whilst bringing profits back up at the same time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

They should enable it as an unlock after you beat it, anyway. If the decision behind it really was because of the difficulty, it would be hilarious. Or at the very least, prove why they did it and satisfy those that "demand" it no matter what.

It'll be like that first time you actually made a friend that also played Contra as a kid and you were both experts. But then the minute you try to play together and it's all falling into pits over and over again because you're both scrolling the screen just a bit too much/little for the other player.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

They should have at least launched with the Zombi U bundle as an option in the US. They're releasing it in the US this Sunday with Zombi U on a disk and a download of Nintendo Land but too little too late. The character models in it are bunk but the actual scenery and scope of the game would have gone a long way.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Unfortunately, it appears that Nintendo misunderstood what originally attracted so many people to the Wii. They banked on their legacy IPs bringing people back, much like they thought the Wii did. In reality, millions bought the Wii not necessarily because it had Mario, Zelda, and Metroid, but because of games like Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and, to Ubisoft's credit, Just Dance. When people bought NSMB Wii or Mario Kart, it was a largely incidental purchase. They already owned, or at least planned on buying, a Wii. Very few people, I think, specifically bought the system for the purpose of playing Nintendo's core titles. With that said, none of Nintendo's current or upcoming games really demonstrate the benefit of using the GamePad. They tried to do that with Nintendo Land, but it did not have the same pick-up-and-play appeal Wii Sports did.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 15, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bad marketing played a big role in this too. People still think the drat thing's an accessory even today.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

Absolutely. I'm surprised that they didn't learn from the 3DS.

Spacebump posted:

because the best feature of NSMB Wii and Wii U is easily the multiplayer. I probably won't buy single player only dlc for this game.

Did they announce the price and/or release date for the Luigi DLC?

The Operative fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 15, 2013

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

deadwing posted:

Why is it a bad decision? From the clips I saw of the video, it seems like the Luigi DLC will be more difficult than the main game, there's a good chance it will be designed around only having one player (see: that tall elevator/bullet bill clip) as opposed to the relatively wide-open areas of the main game.

because the best feature of NSMB Wii and Wii U is easily the multiplayer. I probably won't buy single player only dlc for this game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

If the install base gets better, it doesn't really matter which console is the strongest.

But they completely hosed up the marketing and there's no games. They could turn it around like the 3DS, but that was largely turned around because they took almost 100 bucks off the top, which is simply not happening for the WiiU.

It's still too early to say doom and gloom though. Hopefully the bad numbers will mean they change up the marketing and try to entice more third parties.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 15, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

greatn posted:

I don't think that includes eShop, but obviously eShop probably isn't exactly gangbusters.

This is why I like the fact that Nintendo still treats E3 as a trade show, they'll bring out the no-poo poo charts and graphs and business analysis that gets swept to the side in favor of dancing goofballs at the other presentations. I'll save my worrying for when they don't discuss eShop sales in June :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

OK, I'm hearing a lot of claims lately. How do we know that the NOA is poorly run? Is this just jitters from the new consoles coming out and we can't face uncertainty for more then 24 hours? Do we know its them and not interdepartmental politics?

• Locked thread