Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Captain Matchbox posted:

Why do ios games have less lite/demo versions these days?
Because the market is looking for 5 minutes of fun in a sitting. Any meaningful demo will provide enough entertainment for one sitting, then the user tosses the game on the hunt for the next goofy game for their next break.

... and those that aren't are still trained that they can get their fun for free, so the free demo gets a solid wall of 1/5 "GAM BAD! SHUD GIV MORE CONTENT 4 FREE! BEAT THIS IN A DAY" reviews.

Real example: A friend of mine did a free/full release, and got a 1/5 review that said "finished everything in 30 minutes, then it wanted me to pay, wtf?". A demo. That lasted 30 minutes. Not good enough. Hmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Shalinor posted:

Because the market is looking for 5 minutes of fun in a sitting. Any meaningful demo will provide enough entertainment for one sitting, then the user tosses the game on the hunt for the next goofy game for their next break.

... and those that aren't are still trained that they can get their fun for free, so the free demo gets a solid wall of 1/5 "GAM BAD! SHUD GIV MORE CONTENT 4 FREE! BEAT THIS IN A DAY" reviews.

Real example: A friend of mine did a free/full release, and got a 1/5 review that said "finished everything in 30 minutes, then it wanted me to pay, wtf?". A demo. That lasted 30 minutes. Not good enough. Hmmmm.

This is the drat truth. Most of these games with matrices of bite-sized levels, scored by numbers of stars are real throw away games. I rarely get through the first page of levels before being tired of the mechanic, despite the fact that I've barely scratched the surface of what the game has to offer. Cut the Rope, for instance, starts you off with, say, 25 levels of a basic rope cutting mechanic, then the next 25 add a fuckin magnet or whatever, then a suction cup, then gravity reversal, and they're pretty regularly coming out with new content. Luckily, you don't have to beat every level in each pack to move on to the next.

Lite versions have been proven to be detrimental to sales, simply because people download it, play it, say "WELP that was the game", delete it and move on. Which is a loving weirdo bummer because I'll sometimes pass over a game if it doesn't have a trial version, but at the same time if I download a trial version I'm not likely to buy the full version because of the reasons I mentioned above. I realize how totally wrong this is.

FYI I've cleared and 3 starred about half of the total levels in both Cut the Rope games. Compared to the rest of the games I've downloaded, that's a pretty good amount. I usually stop playing not because I'm simply unable to complete a level, but because a specific level's third star eludes me and I get too frustrated to keep trying.

Fuckin Amazing Breaker, like Angry Birds, is one of those games that does this WRONG. You MUST complete a level with at least one star to move on to the next. If you absolutely can not beat one level, you're hosed. You can not continue. You have to keep bashing your head against a brick wall until you either get a lucky shot or delete the game, and Amazing Breaker is not the kind of game where a luck has anything to do with it. Please tell me how to beat Stage 3, level 58. Never mind, youtube. I should have searched for that like two years ago when I gave up on it.

edit: this post is a mess and I need to to sleep

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 15, 2013

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I really like how games like Summoner Wars and Hero Academy do the IAP, buying more armies/teams whatever so you have greater variety as far as what to play. That said, if I was a dev and could figure out a way to let some rear end in a top hat drop 10k on my game to get his Epic Druidblade or whatever you can bet I'd be all over it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kekekela posted:

I really like how games like Summoner Wars and Hero Academy do the IAP, buying more armies/teams whatever so you have greater variety as far as what to play. That said, if I was a dev and could figure out a way to let some rear end in a top hat drop 10k on my game to get his Epic Druidblade or whatever you can bet I'd be all over it.

I don't count that as IAP; that's expansion content, and I'm usually okay with that unless it's especially egregious.

When I think IAP, I think BUY A BUCKET OF 500 SPACEBUX FOR $29.99 to speed up your timers, buy better items faster than grinding, buy items you can only get with SPACEBUX, etc. If a timer game ever allows you to buy premium currency in bundles costing more than ten dollars, you know something is rotten. When I see $100 currency bundles, I know that it's completely irredeemable.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 15, 2013

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV
Just picked up Rock Runners based of a couple previews. Fun little one touch runner, bits of hook champ (hold to swing at set spots), Rayman Jungle Run (various gimmicks you interact with) and other similar games, with tons of levels made up of reused set pieces, with different mini-goals to achieve 3 stars per level (beat this time, don't touch any slime, just finish the level, collect 90% of them gems, etc.), power ups, and more.

Kind of digging on it. The area maps are big hex grids of levels, so you can choose your own path to the end, finding keys inside levels to unlock locked hexes, or avoiding more difficult marked levels. Of course I am a completionist so I'm trying to 3 star every level as I go.

Seems worth 99c for your run and jump fun times.

App Store Link

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Bummey posted:

Lite versions have been proven to be detrimental to sales, simply because people download it, play it, say "WELP that was the game", delete it and move on. Which is a loving weirdo bummer because I'll sometimes pass over a game if it doesn't have a trial version, but at the same time if I download a trial version I'm not likely to buy the full version because of the reasons I mentioned above. I realize how totally wrong this is.

We did a lite version with our first game, Hook Champ. Had a high conversion rate. Not sure if it lead to less sales? Wasn't clear in the data. And part of me doubts the claim, as the claim is coming from big publishers. Maybe the games they're demoing are pieces of poo poo?

Anyway, we stopped doing lite versions after our first game because it had a major problem. The paid version always got vastly more downloads than the FREE lite version. Did people just not want to bother with a lite version? Is it too much of a hassle? I have no idea. But if it's not leading to more downloads, what's the point?

Closest thing I could figure out was that Lite versions used to really flood the App Store. Every game had a lite version. And it seems people just got tired of all these demos, with Lite getting a negative connotation, so they stopped downloading them completely. So in turn, developers started abandoning Lite versions.

I can think of a couple games that really benefited from a real demo, but they seem like the exceptions.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

:siren: :siren: :siren: HOLY poo poo GUYS FORGET THIS IAP BULLSHIT, SWORD AND POKER IS BACK :siren: :siren: :siren:

http://appshopper.com/games/sword-poker
http://appshopper.com/games/sword-poker-2ww

There are lite versions if you must try them, and 2 is pretty much just more of the same, but both are loving fantastic and worth playing.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Bummey posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HOLY poo poo GUYS FORGET THIS IAP BULLSHIT, SWORD AND POKER IS BACK :siren: :siren: :siren:

There are lite versions if you must try them, and 2 is pretty much just more of the same, but both are loving fantastic and worth playing.

Hold on a timer just landed.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Bummey posted:

Which one should I get if they're sorta the same?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
If only there was a lite version to assist you with your potential purchase

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Is anyone else playing that Need for Speed game that IGN gave away a few days ago. It was posted in this thread, which is how I learned of it, and I am have so much fun with it now. It really is the reason I became interested in Real Racing 3, now Real Racing 2 instead, because it shows the iPad is an awesome device for racing games.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Matchbox posted:

If only there was a lite version to assist you with your potential purchase

If only right? I didn't want to have to download both of them and play both of them, then compare and contrast. Bummey hasn't steered me wrong so far as far as game suggestions which is why I asked him.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

obi_ant posted:

If only right? I didn't want to have to download both of them and play both of them, then compare and contrast. Bummey hasn't steered me wrong so far as far as game suggestions which is why I asked him.

Re sword and poker

The music in 1 is better (it's actually just one loop and it makes me think of FFTA, which I adored) but 2 is probably the better game with its slight improvements on the formula and multiple save slots, if the latter matters to you. I enjoyed them enough to play them both. Multiple times.

Warning: neither of the games support multitasking. Tabbing out of the game will not reset any progress but you will have to tap through the menus to get back into the game.

can't sleep so have some insomnia tips

Charge Coins are used to restore your health. You always start every floor with one Charge coin (they do not carry over between floors) and you can usually/always? gain another on each floor. Along with jewels looted from treasure chests, Charge coins will be converted to crystals at the end of each floor, which can then be spent on Pouch (HP, good to upgrade early) upgrades, new weapons, and shields. You also get varying amounts of crystals for every enemy you kill. You can skip some enemies and chests, so it's a big risk versus reward game. Do you risk fighting that fucming doppelgänger so you can loot her delicious crystals and open the treasure chest she guards and possibly lose any bonus you might have gained by having to heal with a Charge coin, or maybe tou get lucky and save your Wild Card and crush the dopp with a Straight right out of the gate, or do you skip them And save the Charge coin(s) for guaranteed crystals?

Shields protect against a set amount of damage each fight and provide immunity against specific status effects, stuns, card thievery and whatnot. They will recharge with each new board, so if you play your cards right (I REGRET NOTHING) you can get extra damage protection and do some fancy avoidance. I think bats stun. gently caress stun. Get a shield that protects against stun, the little yellow squiggle icon.

Different weapons deal damage and status effects based on the hands you play. For example, you can get a dagger that deals a moderate amount of damage for common hands but not much more for better hands, or you can get a big crazy weapon that deals garbage for common hands but blows things up on high value hands like full house, four-of-a-kind, flush, etc.

Look for straights and flushes on your first turn. You will slap yourself when the AI grabs an easy flush that you missed because you were looking at numbers and not the suits. Because they will. Often.

Also also it can be beneficial to skip a turn in battle so you get the final play on each board. If you do it right you can get vertical, horizontal and diagonal matches all in one go. Or the AI can do it and crush you. Your choice. :)

You can always restart a floor if you poo poo the bed.

The in-game manual is p good and probably tells you all this but I need to offset all the iap poo poo posting I did. Also I'm playing them again and need to refresh myself. We both win!

Bummey fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 15, 2013

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
For anyone, like me, stuck on 150/155 in Pixel People due to the new patch not having any Splice options available a patch is in the works. No time frame at the moment though.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Sword and Poker 2 is a fantastic game. Glad to see it's back.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Captain Matchbox posted:

They do, they just call them Puncho Doublers.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
So am I missing something with this Pixel People gold exploit? I'm supposed to move a building and then move it back and the amount of gold coming in should increase? I've been trying this and mine just seems to stay at a pretty steady rate.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Keep doing it for AAAAAAGES

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Owlkill posted:

So am I missing something with this Pixel People gold exploit? I'm supposed to move a building and then move it back and the amount of gold coming in should increase? I've been trying this and mine just seems to stay at a pretty steady rate.
Also don't trust the numbers coming out of the building or the business centre, just watch the top right.

And don't move Residential because I have a suspicion that fixes it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

As a heads-up to all rhythm game fans, if you haven't tried DJ Max Ray or Cytus yet, you really should. They both just updated with some more song packs, and both games have dozens of songs. I really don't mind dumping money into these IAPs because the games are top-notch music games and perfect on an iPod Touch. DJ Max doesn't have widescreen or iPad support sadly, but Cytus has both (and it's a lot of fun on an iPad). Definitely give em a look if you haven't yet.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cytus is also on sale for just a buck, and I think there's at least 20 songs there without having to pay to unlock more. I haven't tried DJ max, but Cytus is a blast.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Owlkill posted:

Do it with an high revenue building (City Square).

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Captain Matchbox posted:

I never understood the hate for Triple Town's model of using an energy mechanic as a demo. You can take X turns per day for free, and if you like it, you pay $3.99 to take unlimited turns forever. That is essentially a cleverly disguised demo version of a $4 game without making you download a separate "lite" app.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Real Racing has already adjusted its timers and such to be more forgiving. Repairs are instant. Service timers are... Lessened.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Feenix posted:

Real Racing has already adjusted its timers and such to be more forgiving. Repairs are instant. Service timers are... Lessened.
Wow, that's not bad. This may end up working out just fine if they listen to complaints about over-punishing wait times.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man even with the money glitch on Pixel People, the waiting times and expansion costs go up really loving fast. I cannot imagine how slow this game would be without the money glitch. As it is, the best residence takes 24h to build with new buildings taking up hours, meaning your new clones which belong to those buildings are stuck in the arrival center until the buildings are finished bottlenecking any progression.

I wish this had some iCloud syncing so I could swap between phone and iPad.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Why the heck would they do that? I thought it had be pretty clearly established that anyone complaining about the timers was a whining baby idiot who needed to get with the times.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

UncleSmoothie posted:

Why the heck would they do that? I thought it had be pretty clearly established that anyone complaining about the timers was a whining baby idiot who needed to get with the times.

Can we get off this? It's been "established" by people who have differing opinions than other people. On the internet. Firemonkey and EA are in the business of making money. And in so doing, some modicum of "pleasing customers" (or at the very least, not coming off like Satan Incarnate) is obviously going to be the order of the day. This is why you do soft launches in less relevant territories.

Acting like the overwhelming public opinion is that "Shut up, quit being cheap, you panzy" just because there are 2 vocal sides to an argument on the more volatile discussion forums is taking it a bit far.

Real Racing 3 is an interesting milestone (no pun intended) in not only racing games on a mobile platform, but F2P games that offer more substantive gameplay. Love it or hate it, SOMEONE has to go first. And when they do, there's definitely going to be some stumbling and whatnot to find a good equilibrium between "profitable-but-fair" and "exploitative".

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Acting like the overwhelming public opinion is that "Shut up, quit being cheap, you panzy" just because there are 2 vocal sides to an argument on the more volatile discussion forums is taking it a bit far.

I was making a joke on the Something Awful Dot Com Internet Comedy Forums. :ssh:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

UncleSmoothie posted:

I was making a joke on the Something Awful Dot Com Internet Comedy Forums. :ssh:

I get that. And I'm sorry if it seemed like I was singling you out. We just had like 3 pages of the most inane argument over this, and rehashing it, even in joke form, just stirs the pot.

Anyway, aside from my jumping all over you, I think I had some valid points in there near the end. This is new territory in a way, and I think it's interesting to see how it gets pioneered.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Personally I think it started with fornicating amphibians

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

Freemium Frog loving was the true sign of the iOS gaming apocalypse.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Feenix posted:

Quite a bit, what was a six hour wait for a full service is now 2 hours of which the engine is still the major offender at an hour, down from 3 hours.

I've got three cars on the go atm, one of which was bought using ingame currency you get from just trundling around levelling up. The McLaren has bloody expensive upgrades though, they start at $20k instead of $4k for the opening shitboxes.

Even with two fully upgraded cars there are times I am nowhere near the leaders on some of the races, I presume you need to buy the top car for each content class to be able to win it all.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

eeenmachine posted:

Freemium Frog loving was the true sign of the iOS gaming apocalypse.
If that was the iOS plague of frogs, I wonder what would be the preceding plague of blood, and what the subsequent ones were/will be.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Kenny Logins posted:

If that was the iOS plague of frogs, I wonder what would be the preceding plague of blood, and what the subsequent ones were/will be.

The next Squeenix game will require you to spill the blood of your firstborn child to buy one character whose worth is dependent on the innocence of your sacrifice

Everybody will end up getting Squall

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Infinity Blade is really good! I think I am going to buy Infinity Blade Two because of how much I enjoyed 1 for free. I thought someone mentioned IB Dungeons, but I don't see that in the App Store. Is that for iPad only or is that even a game?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Frogs are passe, the next big thing is going to be dungeon snake games that charge IAP to turn left.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

If this is a serious post, I don't think this is true. Pocket Frogs was an F2P game, and also a pretty fun one. What I am talking about though, is the F2P-ization of larger scale, "hardcore" (if you will) games.

Monetizing those with IAP seems fraught with more potential pitfalls and missteps. I think it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SpclKen posted:

Infinity Blade is really good! I think I am going to buy Infinity Blade Two because of how much I enjoyed 1 for free. I thought someone mentioned IB Dungeons, but I don't see that in the App Store. Is that for iPad only or is that even a game?

It is an un-game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

SpclKen posted:

I thought someone mentioned IB Dungeons, but I don't see that in the App Store. Is that for iPad only or is that even a game?

It somehow went from "Might be an iphone 5 launch title!" to "Oh poo poo, they closed the dev studio and put the game on hold" a few months later. Something must have been really rotten in Denmark for that to happen.

• Locked thread