Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Since the band is breaking up at the end of the season, I'm trying to get our goalie to do this during our last game:
http://deadspin.com/5983913/disgruntled-goalie-scores-on-his-own-net-flips-off-coaches-skates-off-the-ice-forever?post=57351195

This guy owns.

delpheye posted:

2 broken sticks through O'Hare agree with the above. I've taken mine through other airports before and since and not had any kind of problem, but there's not really an alternative unless you go buy some cheap wood sticks at your destination.

Yeah, I don't have a great solution. It's not like you can carry it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe you could fedex the sticks to your destination?

An irritating additional cost but it improves the odds of them surviving the trip.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Maybe you could fedex the sticks to your destination?

An irritating additional cost but it improves the odds of them surviving the trip.

Have fun finding an appropriate box, and really, a FedEx truck isn't much better than the airport.

If I ever had to travel with my gear, I'm buying flyers insurance for that flight.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've had 0 problems taking sticks. I've flown out of a variety of airports, small to big, warm weather to cold. Flights delayed, cancelled, tight connections, etc. Never had a problem or been charged. It can work and I'd rather deal with that then trying to deal with FedEx on the weekends in a new town before leaving to the airport or shipping sticks a week early to get them there.

However, xzzy's right. Shipping sticks is easy. I've had them wrapped in butchers paper with a little bubble wrap to flat boxes that bow around the stick to custom boxes that make the person shipping them look like a crazy person. But yeah I'd trust them less than the airport.

Here's how a friend shipped a stick to my office when he came out to play. Somehow the USPS kept it in tact, it arrived in 3 days and cost him $8.75

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 14, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

I've had 0 problems taking sticks. I've flown out of a variety of airports, small to big, warm weather to cold. Flights delayed, cancelled, tight connections, etc. Never had a problem or been charged.

At least half of the times that I've flown with sticks (and I've done it many times as well) I've been told that I have to pay extra to check them and argued with when I tried to refute that idea with the agents behind the counter. Once a guy threatened to call airport security on me because I had the sticks in my hand and was gesturing with my hands as I often do and I dropped them. I really get kinda anxious about taking gear places now because of this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well, that, and "IMMA CALL SECURITY" is the rallying cry of an unempowered peon trying to maintain control of a losing situation. People are already walking on eggshells at an airport, it doesn't take much to get them to stand down.

Stupid airlines, doing everything they can to wipe away the last remnants of customer service.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

sellouts posted:

I've had 0 problems taking sticks. I've flown out of a variety of airports, small to big, warm weather to cold. Flights delayed, cancelled, tight connections, etc. Never had a problem or been charged. It can work and I'd rather deal with that then trying to deal with FedEx on the weekends in a new town before leaving to the airport or shipping sticks a week early to get them there.

However, xzzy's right. Shipping sticks is easy. I've had them wrapped in butchers paper with a little bubble wrap to flat boxes that bow around the stick to custom boxes that make the person shipping them look like a crazy person. But yeah I'd trust them less than the airport.

Here's how a friend shipped a stick to my office when he came out to play. Somehow the USPS kept it in tact, it arrived in 3 days and cost him $8.75

I've shipped sticks and there's a box store near my place that has long flat-ish rectangular boxes that will hold two senior sticks. Not that I wasn't completely paranoid right up to the point that they were delivered and opened, but it works.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Mailman "oh you get a new hockey stick?"

You - "nope just a dildo, with a paul coffee curve"

Thats incredible, I cant fathom being able to ship a stick through usps for under $10 and having it arrive in tact.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Verman posted:

Mailman "oh you get a new hockey stick?"

You - "nope just a dildo, with a paul coffee curve"

Thats incredible, I cant fathom being able to ship a stick through usps for under $10 and having it arrive in tact.

It would be a lot of fun to just say "nope" and smile strangely as you walked back into your house. Leave it a mystery.

AHAQQ
Jul 16, 2009
I can definitely join in the talk about playing pick-up hockey with people better than you. I play at a local rink among guys who've played years of junior hockey and some guys who even have played in Mestis (the Finnish second-tier league below SM-Liiga)... Personally, I only learned how to skate properly maybe 5 years ago and this is my first kind of active year on the ice. It's really frustrating when everyone's so much better than you, even when it's just for fun. At least I've developed a lot, learning how to maintain balance a lot better. Also I can shoot pretty well at the moment (wanna have that Weber slapper).

A goon doctor-y question: does anyone ever get pain in the lower back when playing hockey? Generally, my back is fine, only gets achy when I play. My suspicions are on a bad skating stance and hard gym workout on off days. Any experiences?

I should've started playing hockey as a kid. I love the sport and am a good sized guy. 6'1" wasn't enough for volleyball :(

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

AHAQQ posted:

A goon doctor-y question: does anyone ever get pain in the lower back when playing hockey? Generally, my back is fine, only gets achy when I play. My suspicions are on a bad skating stance and hard gym workout on off days. Any experiences?

Soreness in the back? Yes. Two big things help me:

1) Take it as a sign that you're bending over at the waist to too much and you should be squatting more.

2) Skate more. :v:

Also, yeah, do yo' squats.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
So I posted before about wanting to start a beginner class for adults while I wait to start my new job. But I'm thinking that maybe it would be best to wait until my insurance kicks in at the end up next month before doing this. But what kind of coverage does a USA Hockey membership offer in terms of personal injury?

Any coverage for an awkward beginner just falling and breaking his hip?

AHAQQ
Jul 16, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Soreness in the back? Yes. Two big things help me:

1) Take it as a sign that you're bending over at the waist to too much and you should be squatting more.

2) Skate more. :v:

Also, yeah, do yo' squats.

Thanks for the tips! I've been trying to use my legs more for skating (hah) and I hope it'll work.

I wholeheartedly agree on the squats.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Robot Danger posted:

So I posted before about wanting to start a beginner class for adults while I wait to start my new job. But I'm thinking that maybe it would be best to wait until my insurance kicks in at the end up next month before doing this. But what kind of coverage does a USA Hockey membership offer in terms of personal injury?

Their insurance is intended to supplement your primary. It kicks in once your costs go above $1000.

I'd say just go skate anyways, but I frequently give terrible advice.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Robot Danger posted:

I would think that USA Hockey would apply to league games and other USA hockey sanctioned events. I'm not sure whether open hockey or a learn to play class would be covered by that, though did they ask you to provide USA hockey registration? As for how the insurance works, it is an "excess" coverage, so it kicks in after $1,000 if you have insurance and after $3,500 if you are uninsured. Here is their explanation:

quote:

What kind of coverage does USA Hockey offer to players if they get hurt? Does this include
dental coverage? USA Hockey offers two (2) kinds of insurance coverage to players who may become
injured, while participating in a USA Hockey “sanctioned event.” First, we provide excess medical
coverage, subject to policy deductibles and out-of-pocket obligations, to pay for medical care up to
$50,000; this coverage does include limited dental coverage. Second, for those members who are
seriously injured, USA Hockey provides a $2,000,000 catastrophic injury medical plan; the “cat med”
plan has a $50,000 deductible, which is usually covered by a player’s primary insurance, by USA
Hockey’s excess medical, or by some combination of the two (2) plans.

The “excess medical” coverage is designed to supplement your primary (any other insurance) coverage
that you have, and it only pays for treatments AFTER the primary has been used. The member must
meet a $1,000 out-of-pocket expense obligation, per accident, before this coverage begins. If you have
NO PRIMARY INSURANCE, USA Hockey’s coverage can become primary. However, when used as a
primary USA Hockey’s coverage has a $3,500 deductible, which must be satisfied BEFORE it will pay
bills.

http://www.usahockey.com/uploadedFi...NAL.pdf#page=28

Learn to skate classes are pretty safe. If you want to wait until your insurance kicks in, then I can understand that, but it is very unlikely that you'll get hurt to the degree where you'll need to use the USA Hockey insurance. It's meant more as a safety net if you get seriously injured, though it can kick in as primary insurance if you are uninsured and meet the $3,500 deductible.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Well...this happened...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 15, 2013

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Robot Danger posted:

Dude. It's fine. You're not going to hurt yourself learning how to skate. Especially not if you are going to be doing it in hockey gear.

Wait, just to make sure, you aren't a 60-year old woman, are you?

Dangerllama posted:

Well...this happened...

Oh, poo poo dude. I hate when...um...THAT happens. That's the worst.

(Guys, does anybody know what the hell he's talking about?)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Looks like the camera is stuck in sepia tone mode. That sux.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That looks like a hockey bag left out on a deck to air out, that was hit with rogue snow.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I was going to ask if he forgot to buy his girlfriend flowers today

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yeah, I came home to an inch of snow covering all the gear if left to air dry yesterday. Feelsbadman

Also, my wife and I don't celebrate Valentines Day :smug:

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

I did this today and I feel like horrible scum for destroying a pair of One.9 skates for roller use. They are ridiculously light and fit like socks so the guilt will be the gone after my first skate.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

tehk posted:

I did this today and I feel like horrible scum for destroying a pair of One.9 skates for roller use. They are ridiculously light and fit like socks so the guilt will be the gone after my first skate.

Back when the Vapors were in the 2s and 3s, I bought a pair of inlines off some website that had a yahoo shopping thing. They were just like that, ice hockey boots with an inline chasis in place of the runners. It wasn't even a hi-lo chasis, it was like Tour or something. So, I bitched enough and got my money back.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

tehk posted:

Completely worth it.

I HATE roller hockey skates, currently using my old 8090s with a Mission chassis on them, but they have about run their course, time to get a new pair but I've no idea what boots to use yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

coldwind posted:

Dude. It's fine. You're not going to hurt yourself learning how to skate. Especially not if you are going to be doing it in hockey gear.

Wait, just to make sure, you aren't a 60-year old woman, are you?

I think I mentioned it here, but I actually saw a lady bust her ankle learning how to skate. She's nowhere near 60 though. Was just coasting around near the crease during a drill, had a spill, and ended up leaving the rink in a wheelchair.

I mean, that's what you get for playing a game involving a sheet of ice. 99% of the time everything's totally okay, and then blammo something weird happens and it's a trip to the hospital.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

At least half of the times that I've flown with sticks (and I've done it many times as well) I've been told that I have to pay extra to check them and argued with when I tried to refute that idea with the agents behind the counter. Once a guy threatened to call airport security on me because I had the sticks in my hand and was gesturing with my hands as I often do and I dropped them. I really get kinda anxious about taking gear places now because of this.

That sucks. I've never had problems with American or United but who knows. Maybe they're changed the published policy in the past 3-4 years?

Or bring the print out from the site that clearly states it's an accessory bag? Maybe offer up that "it's like when someone checks skis and their boots and it's one cost"? That's how at least one agent explained it to me when I made sure she knew it was free to include them. I dunno.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So we all got winded walking up 2 floors to our condo for the weekend. This is going to be interesting.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So we all got winded walking up 2 floors to our condo for the weekend. This is going to be interesting.

See if you can't obtain 6 of those oxygen masks that you see on people in hospitals. The kind with the two little tubes that go in your nostrils. Also, attach oxygen canisters to your back.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

That sucks. I've never had problems with American or United but who knows. Maybe they're changed the published policy in the past 3-4 years?

Or bring the print out from the site that clearly states it's an accessory bag? Maybe offer up that "it's like when someone checks skis and their boots and it's one cost"? That's how at least one agent explained it to me when I made sure she knew it was free to include them. I dunno.

Yeah that's what I did the last time. Both of those things- had the site up on my phone and explained it like skis and boots. The person was disagreeing with me still, and I had to wait for the manager to finish dealing with some people who were trying to pay normal price for oversized bags and didn't speak any English at all. Almost missed the flight!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hockles posted:

See if you can't obtain 6 of those oxygen masks that you see on people in hospitals. The kind with the two little tubes that go in your nostrils. Also, attach oxygen canisters to your back.

That's not a bad idea for next year's team. Bonus points if you can mod the tubes from breathing into your mouth and route them into a camelback and drink hot toddys while playing.

The dudes who didn't wear jerseys really got me thinking -- for pond hockey why even bother with real jerseys?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

sellouts posted:

The dudes who didn't wear jerseys really got me thinking -- for pond hockey why even bother with real jerseys?

Ok. Next year, Tauntaun costumes.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

tehk posted:

How do you like the Revision wheels? I'm getting kind of sick of spending a million dollars on Rink Rat Splits.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Welcome to Colorado! Tried drinking yet?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Topoisomerase posted:

dealing with some people who were trying to pay normal price for oversized bags and didn't speak any English at all.
I'm always loving amazed at when that poo poo happens. Every loving time I'm at the airport there's at least one of those groups of people with a suitcase big enough to hold a year's worth of clothes and they are always mystified at the 50 lb limit.

Oh, and they almost always decide to show up 15 minutes before their plane boards.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I can't fit everything I need in an appropriately sized carryon, I don't fly. :colbert:

This works because I love road tripping, so if I need more stuff, I just throw it all in the car and drive my rear end there. Flying is really only for emergency trips.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

If I can't fit everything I need in an appropriately sized carryon, I don't fly. :colbert:

This works because I love road tripping, so if I need more stuff, I just throw it all in the car and drive my rear end there. Flying is really only for emergency trips.

Man, most of the places I fly would require a minimum of 2 full days driving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In the past year I've driven to both Las Vegas and Montana.. round trip was in the 5-6 thousand mile range for each trip.

It's a heap of fun if you carve it into 8-10 hour days and choose scenic routes. In the bad old days you had to wing it, but with google maps it's super easy to schedule it all out.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

xzzy posted:

In the past year I've driven to both Las Vegas and Montana.. round trip was in the 5-6 thousand mile range for each trip.

It's a heap of fun if you carve it into 8-10 hour days and choose scenic routes. In the bad old days you had to wing it, but with google maps it's super easy to schedule it all out.

I want to kill myself after a single hour of driving. I think you may be some kind of voodoo-working deity.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Driving owns if you have a twinned highway and aren't surrounded on all sides by idiots.

Hence why driving in Saskatchewan sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I'm firmly in the "road trips stopped being fun a while ago" camp, after doing plenty of them growing up through college.

I've also got a job that pays for these hockey trips that requires me to not be dicking around in the car for days surrounding the trip.

Point is bag fees suck but you should be able to cleanly get around them per the airline's rules unless you're dealing with someone of crushing stupidity. Which is likely because what's the deal with airports lol

Also how winded is HZ right now