Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Louisgod posted:

Oh thread, let's not delve into the Other M debate for the 50th time, please create a separate Metroid thread if you want to debate BABBY and talking.

Is it okay to point out that the best way to enjoy Other M is that 2 hour LP of it where Ridley is voiced as Gilbert Gottfried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Soul Glo posted:

Nailed it.

I also fully expect the next Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty to be the same way.

Of course. The downside is that rather than putting Effort and making hot amazing next gen versions and then porting down, they'll make the game and then just upscale the assets, add a couple of shaders and call it a day. This generation's Gun indeed.

EDIT: also Nintendoland surprised me by being bloody good fun. Can't wait to get all my Wiimotes back from various people and try the 5 player games.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

quote:

also Nintendoland surprised me by being bloody good fun. Can't wait to get all my Wiimotes back from various people and try the 5 player games.

It is really awesome, certainly better than Wii Sports. That loving octopus game though.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
Gamasutra has an analysis of the January Wii U numbers, At 57K sold, Wii U's January performance is historically abysmal. Included in that article is this graph:

When you look at it that way, things look really bad. PS3 and 360 had bad months shortly after launch, but the lows never went that low (360's worst month on record had weekly sales over three times what the Wii U just did, and the PS3's was 75% higher than Wii U's sales while it was sitting at the $500/$600 price points). Other consoles that had months that were as bad or worse were the Gamecube and Wii, but those bad months happened 60 months into the lifespan of the console, both occurring in the month prior to the release of the next Nintendo system.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 15, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Does anyone know how many copies the first 2 Pikmin games sold? Because the only numbers I could find say that they sold around 1.2 million copies each, which can't be right, can it? I always thought they were way more popular than that.

If those numbers are in the right ballpark then Pikmin 3 may not be the system seller that Nintendo needs, either.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

E: you know what nevermind.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

If those numbers are in the right ballpark then Pikmin 3 may not be the system seller that Nintendo needs, either.

No one's saying it is. Pikmin 3 is pure fan service. Pikmin 1 and 2 weren't that popular, but they were critically acclaimed and loved by many.

The system sellers are going to be the 'real' Mario game, Wii U Fit, Smash Bros, etc. Maybe new IPs but there hasn't been a new 'core' IP since Pikmin so I'm doubting it.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

No one's saying it is. Pikmin 3 is pure fan service. Pikmin 1 and 2 weren't that popular, but they were critically acclaimed and loved by many.

The system sellers are going to be the 'real' Mario game, Wii U Fit, Smash Bros, etc. Maybe new IPs but there hasn't been a new 'core' IP since Pikmin so I'm doubting it.

It wasn't so much people saying it as my perception. I guess I loved those games so much when I was younger that I just assumed they were smashing successes, and not just awesome and niche. That's why I was so shocked that Nintendo weren't fast tracking the hell out of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Like all companies, it comes down to profits. Nintendo has always been hugely successful as a hardware company even with their under performing consoles. The reason being is that they were sold at a good profit and that all changed with the Wii U.

With them changing to a model where they lose money on each console, they have to make sure that they get good return from their own software sales and royalties on other publishers. If it gets to the point where they aren't really getting good revenue from 3rd party royalties then they need to figure whether or not the advantage of not having to pay royalties to have their games on other consoles is worth the RnD/Manufacturing/Advertisement of their own.

Either way, I dont see Nintendo doing anything drastic unless there are some serious changes to management and even if they did shake up the company I dont really see them doing anything this upcoming console generation.
The Wii U isn't really selling at a loss, though. Sure, if somebody buys the system and never buys a single game for it, it is, but Reggie said that the moment a single game is purchased, they've turned a profit on the transaction.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

LividLiquid posted:

The Wii U isn't really selling at a loss, though. Sure, if somebody buys the system and never buys a single game for it, it is, but Reggie said that the moment a single game is purchased, they've turned a profit on the transaction.

This turned out to be false.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

If I recall Pikmin 2 didn't really have all that many copies published, even. I remember seeing a single used copy at a nearby Gamestop for years priced at $40 always wondering why it wouldn't go down. Then a few years later I got internet and saw that they were priced the same. Googling has always suggested that Nintendo wasn't really expecting it to burn up sales charts and I guess it didn't. Thank goodness for the Wii port. I love Pikmin and really can't wait for 3, but I can't help but feel a lot of excitement for Pikmin 3 is just Wii U owners wanting something to play, which is reasonable. Or a vocal minority, or Nintendo Land really spurring a lot of people to try the series. I dunno.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

That turned out to be incorrect. The interview where Reggie said that has had the claim removed, and a correction added that Nintendo confirmed it was incorrect, and would only say that the number needed to recoup was larger than 1 game.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

thefncrow posted:

That turned out to be incorrect. The interview where Reggie said that has had the claim removed, and a correction added that Nintendo confirmed it was incorrect, and would only say that the number needed to recoup was larger than 1 game.
Well that's kind of a giant bummer.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Crowbear posted:

This turned out to be false.

When did that turn out to be false? It seemed reasonable. That seems like something you would get in trouble with shareholders for lying about.

Well they've recouped from me at least. 3 retail games, pro controller, 2 full retail eShop games, and six smaller eShop games.

greatn fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 15, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

greatn posted:

When did that turn out to be false? It seemed reasonable. That seems like something you would get in trouble with shareholders for lying about.

http://gengame.net/2013/01/report-wii-u-needs-more-than-one-software-sale-per-system-to-be-profitable/

Reggie "bends the truth" a lot. Like when he said CoD "looks dramatically better" on Wii U.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

http://gengame.net/2013/01/report-wii-u-needs-more-than-one-software-sale-per-system-to-be-profitable/

Reggie "bends the truth" a lot. Like when he said CoD "looks dramatically better" on Wii U.

Reggie could probably get away with loving murder though.

Also wasn't CoD rendered at a higher res on the WiiU? Did anyone ever do a comparison?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Reggie could probably get away with loving murder though.

Also wasn't CoD rendered at a higher res on the WiiU? Did anyone ever do a comparison?

As always, Digital Foundry is on the case http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off

It renders at the same resolution as the 360

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Bobnumerotres posted:

Same resolution as on the 360. Digital Foundry did an analysis of the Wii U version. Their verdict:

quote:

The Wii U version matches the look of the Xbox 360 game and thus gives it an edge visually over the PlayStation 3 release, but unfortunately it comes up well short in terms of performance - an aspect that is all-important to the playability of a COD title. The frame-rate variance is such that the PS3 game feels generally smoother, while the 360 release feels like an entirely different game in the more demanding levels. Bearing in mind the commonalities in hardware design between Wii U and Xbox 360, we can't help but feel somewhat disappointed that Black Ops 2 under-performs so noticeably.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Knowing that Reggie isn't super trustworthy makes me more sad than the system selling like poo poo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Knowing that Reggie isn't super trustworthy makes me more sad than the system selling like poo poo.

The giant still has my heart.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh he's has a huckster vibe forever. I just thought that profitability statement was from an official statement to shareholders

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

The giant still has my heart.

Ugh, he's so awful. I have no idea what people like about him.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Ugh, he's so awful. I have no idea what people like about him.

He usually announces the biggest megatons at E3s and such, so people associate him with positive experiences.

Also he's a loving monster.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nintendo was languishing and then this huge dude showed up at E3, said he was there to kick rear end and take names, and Nintendo almost immediately turned around.

The fact that this had nothing to do with Reggie doesn't stop me from loving the giant goofball.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

He usually announces the biggest megatons at E3s and such, so people associate him with positive experiences.

I cannot like nor trust a man that looks that smug all the time.

I do love him pulling poo poo out of his pocket all the time though. That's dumb in a good way.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
How can you dislike the guy? He's just like a purple pikmin.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It's pretty B.S. that revengeance isn't coming to the Wii U along with the other consoles. I hope we at least get a late port when the install base goes up.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's pretty B.S. that revengeance isn't coming to the Wii U along with the other consoles. I hope we at least get a late port when the install base goes up.

I'm sure that Platinum would love to do one, and if anyone could make an awesome port it's them because they are future wizards, but sadly it's up to Konami. Has Konami released anything on the U yet?

Revengeance is looking like GOTY so hopefully they can figure poo poo out and get it on the Wii U and PC.

e: Actually has Konami put out any games anywhere since the Wii U launched? I can't name any off the top of my head.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 15, 2013

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bobnumerotres posted:

When Axemaniac and I went to E3 in 2011 we saw Reggie walking around the other booths. Axe was like "Dude isn't he your hero? You should chase him down". Seems like a nice guy but definitely has a marketing personality to him. We didn't chase him down that day but I got his Reggie-made Mii in my 3DS, which is good enough.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

Samus has never been a silent protagonist. Or at least, not since Super Metroid. She didn't talk much but she narrated the openings and more of several games.

What the developers were thinking when the made MOM, though, I have no idea. Maybe they were on drugs.

Well aside from the Prime series and Other M Super Metroid is the last thing to have been released so thats still a pretty big amount of time (a majority of the character's life) that she'd been silent.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Cliff Racer posted:

Well aside from the Prime series and Other M Super Metroid is the last thing to have been released so thats still a pretty big amount of time (a majority of the character's life) that she'd been silent.

Even if you don't count Zero Mission (in which she narrates) since it's a remake, you're forgetting Fusion, which is a game where she actually has a speaking role with dialog.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If you expect me to pay any attention at all to a handheld game for a series that is primarily on consoles you've got another thing coming.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, you're right, apart from four games that don't count for some crazy reason, Super Metroid is the last thing to have been released.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cliff Racer posted:

If you expect me to pay any attention at all to a handheld game for a series that is primarily on consoles you've got another thing coming.

It's your loss because Fusion owns. And I say that as a dude who doesn't really give any shits about Metroid.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Fusion and Zero Mission are worth playing. Hopefully they'll be arriving Wii U eShop when it officially launches.

Just be aware that Fusion is too linear to be a legitimate Metroid game, but it's still fun.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

This is the best rebuttal.

"Evidence that contradicts my assertion? Well...nope. Sorry, buddy!"

Zero Mission and Fusion are fantastic.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Who had a GBA specifically to play Fusion and then Zero Mission? This guy right here.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

And like everyone else said, the market as a whole is actually more profitable than it was last year. Can we quit making bullshit excuses and just agree on two things:

a) WiiU sales are abysmal

b) Nintendo has enough money (and the handheld division) to continue doing whatever the gently caress they like for at least several decades.

There, two statements that are equally true and don't need to be qualified by "but the economy's in the tank!" or "Nintendo is going the way of Sega this time, I swear!"

Zomodok posted:

How does this explain other consoles doing double and triple what the WiiU is doing in the same month and previous years examples if every january is "sweating over credit card bills"

That number? That number that was lower than the lowest of the Playstation 3? It's bad. It's a bad thing. You can sugar coat it all you want but that doesn't make it anyless of a stinker.

I am really not sure why the two of you and others only decided to read half my post. I made it clear that the credit card thing was probably one of many reasons. Everyone has their own reasons and they do not all apply to each individual. The point that I was trying to make is that when you combine all of the reasons together it amounts the pitiful sales figures we saw. Trying to point towards just one or two explanations is the only wrong way to view the situation.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I hope you are all happy... because if this article is anything to go by this is Nintendo's last system and he's got his $9.99 ready for Super Mario on iOS. If only Nintendo had better sales in January.

http://bgr.com/2012/12/28/nintendo-wii-u-criticism-272039/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
You do know that article was written in December, right?

• Locked thread