Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, of course it can. There might be some prescriptivist bullshit like "hopefully", but it's normal even in academic writing.

Also, don't be a word sperg. Nobody likes a prescriptivist pedant. Especially not linguists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah, it's perfectly fine. Not even "fine if you're not pedantic", it's absolutely correct usage.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What about cases where the intended meaning isn't clear? "He ran the organisation effectively" can be read with both meanings. I guess I was looking more for a guide on what to do when it comes to such a situation. That's my main problem with accepting both meanings of "effectively".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You'd have to try really hard to write a sentence where context doesn't resolve such an ambiguity. If somehow you've managed to do so, then re-write the sentence rather than deny a very common, very established meaning.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
If you start the sentence with "Effectively, he... " then there is no ambiguity at all.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
With the new forum skin, can I bookmark threads without posting in them? Right now I sometimes feel tempted to effectively make a not-as-high-as-it-could-be-content-wise post because I really want to follow an E/N thread.

e. I just found it, it's the little star at the bottom-left of the thread. Quite effectively hidden.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Top of the thread, left side, click the star button. It just moved from the right side to the left side.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Is there a fix for the "most recent post" link not working and taking me to the last post instead?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Is anyone still making Get Out frog dolls?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Vegetable posted:

What about cases where the intended meaning isn't clear? "He ran the organisation effectively" can be read with both meanings. I guess I was looking more for a guide on what to do when it comes to such a situation. That's my main problem with accepting both meanings of "effectively".

If you wanted it to mean "in practice but not technically" you'd say "He effectively ran the organization." If you want to say he's doing a good job, you write it like you did. Why? I don't know. But that's how you'd do it.

e: Maybe it's because it's more directly qualifying the verb if it's put before it instead of at the end of the sentence...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Is anyone still making Get Out frog dolls?

PM Comrade Quack

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm having some guests over this weekend and we'll be ordering pizza, but it would be nice to be able to order before they get here. Is there some sort of online poll or some such thing that will let people put preferences and then figure out what would please (or least displease) everyone?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

hooah posted:

I'm having some guests over this weekend and we'll be ordering pizza, but it would be nice to be able to order before they get here. Is there some sort of online poll or some such thing that will let people put preferences and then figure out what would please (or least displease) everyone?

We use Survey Monkey at work, and they have a free version too. Links to G+, FaceBook, etc.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
A straightforward translation of a song from one language to another often results in a song that doesn't rhyme or fit the melody. Getting the translated lyrics to fit the melody and rhyme requires extra work, and often means changing the meaning of a line (see this Mulan song). Is there a special term for the job of translating and altering a song such that you get a rendition that fits the melody?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
adapt/adaptation

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I used to have a thing installed in Opera that gave YouTube links a tooltip showing the name of the video so you didn't have to open it to see what it was. I've reformatted my computer a couple of times since then and can't remember what the thing was called or where I got it. Does anyone know what it might be?

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
Our receptionist was tasked to come up with a company motto. We now have a sign that says, "What we do is what we could become." She's a super nice lady and I'm not going to say anything but does that make any sense from a grammatical standpoint?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's grammatically fine because "what we could become" is a clause that might as well be one word. "what we do is x".

But yeah it doesn't have to have bad grammar to not make any sense at all.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
As greatn basically said, it's probably grammatically fine, but maybe semantically bad because "what we do" makes you think of an action, whereas "what we could become" is probably not an action (compare: the famous "colorless green dreams sleep furiously") and also mottoly bad because it's not even clear to me what the intended meaning is supposed to be.

Like "we do things that we aren't equipped to do properly yet but we hope to have the capacity to do it well in the future"? "The first 'we' refers to the company and the second 'we' refers to humanity and so we're supposed to be a shining example for the rest of the world"? "We work on robots and we hope that in the future society will be replaced by robots"?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

kolby posted:

Our receptionist was tasked to come up with a company motto. We now have a sign that says, "What we do is what we could become." She's a super nice lady and I'm not going to say anything but does that make any sense from a grammatical standpoint?

My concern is less about the grammar and more about the logic, personally.

e;f,b.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
This was a prime opportunity to go with "We do what we must because we can."

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Golbez posted:

This was a prime opportunity to go with "We do what we must because we can."

Using that for my startup: Iris Technology.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What is the most recently discovered terrestrial megafauna? I'm not sure if there's a hard and fast rule for how big you have to be to be called that, so let's say 50 lbs or more.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

stubblyhead posted:

What is the most recently discovered terrestrial megafauna? I'm not sure if there's a hard and fast rule for how big you have to be to be called that, so let's say 50 lbs or more.

A good case could be made for the Moa and any other megafauna New Zealand may have had, as it was only populated ~700 years ago,

There's also possibly the giant tortoises of the Galapagos, discovered by Europeans in the 16th century, though there is evidence of earlier visitation, though not settlement.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

stubblyhead posted:

Discovered by anybody, or discovered by Westerners? There's loads of obscure animals like the vu quang or however you spell it, that the Vietnamese locals knew perfectly well but was Unknown To Western Science until a couple of years ago.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

I used to have a thing installed in Opera that gave YouTube links a tooltip showing the name of the video so you didn't have to open it to see what it was. I've reformatted my computer a couple of times since then and can't remember what the thing was called or where I got it. Does anyone know what it might be?

I use a Greasemonkey script called Youtube Link Title that does basically that. But I'm not an Opera user so I'm not certain how Greasemonkey fits into its world.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

stubblyhead posted:

Here it's really important what you mean both by 'discovered' and 'megafauna'. There are several 'new' species described among large mammals each year, as old species are split into two separate ones when it is discovered that they are somehow different and have been separate species, only it got unnoticed for many years.

One example is the Australian snubfin dolphin, that was recognized as a separate species from the Irrawaddy doplhin as recently as 2005. There's still debate on how many species should be recognized in such familiar species as the tiger, the common chimpanzee and the giraffe.

For truly newly discovered large mammals, the Saola is a strange bovine creature that lives in the forests of Laos and Vietnam. It weighs about 90 kilograms.

It was described from remains in 1993 and an individual in 2010 was captured alive by locals but died before it could be documented by scientist and released into the wild. No scientist has yet seen a wild saola.

The lesula monkey was described last year, and has been known by locals for a long time, and known but undescribed by science since at least 2007. It don't know how heavy it is :shobon:

e: I should clarify the difference between 'discovered' and 'described'. There is no scientific definition of 'discovered', as animals are often known locally but not by scientists. 'Described' refers to the year when the discovery was published in a scientific publication and fulfilling the requirements of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature. Describing a new species is a process that can take years, as you really want to document as much as you can in the descriptions.

e2: Wow, actually got some use out of my degree in Systematic Zoology :toot:

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 15, 2013

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
There is this owl that was known but thought to be a different species for 100 years.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

There is this owl that was known but thought to be a different species for 100 years.

Thanks for all the good answers. This article is actually what made me start wondering about that. The saola is probably closest to what I had in mind, and I'd completely forgotten about the Gene Wilder monkey too.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Is there any way to force Google to use a certain spelling in a search? Searching for all the info about a person with an unusually spelled name, "Johnn Smith" for example, brings up results for "John," "Jon," "Johnny," etc. with them all bolded as if they were search terms. I can see how that would be useful in other cases, but I know I only want results with the way I spelled it. Can I get it to JUST find my spelling?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

User-Friendly posted:

Is there any way to force Google to use a certain spelling in a search? Searching for all the info about a person with an unusually spelled name, "Johnn Smith" for example, brings up results for "John," "Jon," "Johnny," etc. with them all bolded as if they were search terms. I can see how that would be useful in other cases, but I know I only want results with the way I spelled it. Can I get it to JUST find my spelling?

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

^^^ Try Google's Verbatim search. Click Search Tools under the search bar, All Results > Verbatim. This allows you to wrap use-sensitive terms in "" to better enforce specificity.

-------------

Over a long term timeline:
As fresh-water reserves become more scarce, is the environmental impact of washing dishes in fresh water more or less severe than using plastic/styrofoam disposable utensils?

It seems to me that landfill ground-area is probably less scarce than fresh water in extended future. Especially in areas with lessened access to freshwater or those in extended droughts.

I understand that water transport and desalination are probably preferred where it's economically viable, but I wanted input from people what probably know much more on the topic.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Water is a highly renewable resource, where styrofoam is made of petroleum products, must be transported to the consumer, and then carted away. It will take up space in the land fill, never decompose, and it's conceivable that it will outlast the human race. On the other hand, there's no reason why the water from dishes can't be reclaimed, filtered, and then immediately used to wash more dishes. It's not like you "burn" water in order to wash things. There is no circumstance where is is more economically viable to use disposable utensils than to wash the ones that you have.

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011
I used to eat at a local Thai restaurant that had a dish they called 'Angry Chicken.' A little googling reveals this is a common dish. Does it have a more traditional Thai name? I've haven't seen it served at other Thai restaurants I've gone too, which is a real shame, because it was delicious.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I used to have the development thread for the Awful App bookmarked but I guess is moved on for a new version or something. Can anybody remind me where to find it?

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

ineptmule posted:

I used to have the development thread for the Awful App bookmarked but I guess is moved on for a new version or something. Can anybody remind me where to find it?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3510131&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Or, if you have an Android device:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391052

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How come 3-minute YouTube videos sometimes take maybe 10 minutes to load, even though my connection is fine?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

How come 3-minute YouTube videos sometimes take maybe 10 minutes to load, even though my connection is fine?

Sometimes Youtube's CDN (content delivery network), which is supposed to have you access videos from a server physically and network-wise closer to you and your connection, will accidentally set you up with a server located far away, or meant for another isp. This can lead to decreased transfer performance since the server will be more network links away and possibly those links will have bandwidth issues.

You may be able to get assigned to new ones by logging out of Youtube and resetting your cable or DSL modem, then logging back in. This isn't guarenteed to work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
See ventral image of a goblin shark. See the two black dots alongside the mouth? Those aren't the eyes, which are out of view. Are they nostrils?