Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Fluo posted:

The horror....... the horror.......

Bell has that nightmare covered a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

I know FO&D is gently caress off and Die but what's LCP?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Lingering Crippling Pain?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

I'm going with least care possible.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

I'm guessing it's Liverpool Care Pathway which is the NHS's hospice care pathway.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

LP97S posted:

I'm guessing it's Liverpool Care Pathway which is the NHS's hospice care pathway.

Jesus, there really is a death panel and it's financially incentivised

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

The horror....... the horror.......

This would be awesome, both because they deserve each other and because the bastards who make up the Catholic hierarchy over here might actually throw a bigger fit then they did over gay marriag.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I don't get the Bell pope one :(

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

I'm guessing the portrait Bell is imitating is of Pope Innocent by Velazquez and it's about Blair Lying about the Iraq War. You could even say it was a picture of Blair pretending to be Innocent.

Puntification fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 12, 2013

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Puntification posted:

I'm guessing the portrait Bell is imitating is of Pope Innocent by Velazquez and it's about Blair Lying about the Iraq War.

For Blair is Also A Catholic, you see.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Zephro posted:

Assuming you mean today's one, I'm guessing that his reign has been something of a car crash and he's got out of it alive.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Coohoolin posted:

For Blair is Also A Catholic, you see.

I think that one is from he was still PM and the New Labour policy was they didn't talk about religion though?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Betjeman posted:

Assuming you mean today's one, I'm guessing that his reign has been something of a car crash and he's got out of it alive.
Yeah I meant today's one. Hm. OK, I guess your intrepretation is probably the one he was going for, heh. Thanks.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

In 2007 he informed the Pope he wanted to become catholic. (Tony Blair resigned as PM in 2007) The cartoon is dated 2009 and the title of the cartoon that day was 'Tony Blair sold Iraq on WMD, but only regime change adds up'. Looked around and same date as the cartoon.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/16/iraq-chilcot-inquiry-john-sawers

quote:

Tony Blair might have been put off Iraq war by violent aftermath, says adviser
• Government shocked by level of post-war violence
• Inquiry asks if invasion hurt Britain's reputation
The Blair government might not have invaded Iraq had it envisaged the scale of violence it might provoke, Sir John Sawers, the head of MI6 and former adviser to the prime minister, said today.

Very few observers predicted the violence produced by a combination of jihadists, former Ba'athist officials who had melted away immediately after the invasion, and Shia extremists supported by Iraq, he told the Chilcot inquiry.[...]

Betjeman posted:

Jesus, there really is a death panel and it's financially incentivised

Its not a death panel and that wikipedia link is beyond basic and hosed up. I can't explain it very well but kim jong ill or another UKMT goon doctor would be able to explain it perfectly. I will try and find his past posts about it. Generally the tabloid gutter press don't know anything about science or medicine. And even the middle and high brow newspapers are generally off the mark quite a lot of the time (anti MMR, pro homeopathy, whats the new thing this week which causes cancer etc).

Edit:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509550&pagenumber=93&perpage=40#post409145908

Kim Jong-Illin posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20170811

quote:

It is "completely wrong" for terminally ill patients to be put on a "pathway" to death without relatives being consulted, a health minister has said.

Norman Lamb has called a meeting of doctors and patients to discuss worries about the Liverpool Care Pathway - which can see water and food withdrawn.

A Conservative peer has called for an inquiry amid claims some people treated in this way could have survived.
This is one of the few things in life that actually genuinely makes me angry. Politicians and the media need to stay the gently caress away from the Liverpool Care Pathway because they have no idea what the hell they're talking about and are actively campaigning for people to die in distress, not in dignity.

The LCP is one of the best things modern medicine has done. People used to die in hospital in distress because there was no uniformity in end of life care and a lot of doctors had no idea how to care for the dying. By taking the best practice and making it into a standardised proforma, we now provide high quality care for the dying by using the LCP. It makes sure dying people have good pain control, good anti-anxiety drugs, good anti-secretion drugs, and good anti-nausea drugs. It makes sure nurses check dying people every few hours for distress and treat it and it makes sure we don't put people through un-needed drugs during their final days.

The fluids thing in particular makes me most angry because it stems from medical ignorance among lay people. Dying people usually have very poor veins as their body shuts down and it is very difficult to get vascular access to give fluids. On top of that, their bodies cannot handle the extra fluid and it ends up pooling in the subcutaneous tissues, making them swollen, or in their lungs, worsening distress because they can't breathe. There's solid studies showing that there is no difference in time to death if fluids are given or withheld but that giving fluids is associated with more distress than withholding them.

As we've argued previously in this thread, relatives have no right to demand or deny treatment for patients unless they have power of attorney. They should be informed when the LCP is started and the proforma explicitly states that the family needs to be aware but they have no right nor the understanding to refuse their relative a dignified death. We had a very unpleasant incident the other week when the family of a dying patient came in with clippings from the Daily Mail calling the LCP a death pathway. They were angrily demanding that we withhold sedation and analgesia from their dying mother because they thought it would hasten her death - they were actively campaigning for her to die in distress because of misinformation from the media.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 12, 2013

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fluo posted:

Guardian:

Labels :suicide:

Riddell is pulling a Kelly with the labels, right? The Tory right is trying to use homophobia as a weapon, but can't because its broken. Europhobia is the only shield they can use whilst killing Dave and Nick in their beds. Which they can't, because homophobia is broken and...something...something

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Riddell is pulling a Kelly with the labels, right? The Tory right is trying to use homophobia as a weapon, but can't because its broken. Europhobia is the only shield they can use whilst killing Dave and Nick in their beds. Which they can't, because homophobia is broken and...something...something

And lasagna.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

If it was a US cartoon, the black under the carpark would be labeled 'DEBT'.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Labels are just loving awful, its pretty much just hamfisting somethings that have happened together. Richard III's skeleton was found, MPs vote for gay marriage (which passed but more then half the tories voted against it). Tories are massively anti EU at the moment (well they generally have been since 1997 I think, can't remember if John Major was anti EU) and pretty much being complete dicks to Europe (also called for a referendum on whither to stay in the EU or not if tories get in next election). NCP [National Car Parks] which is UKs largest private car park operator, they do poo poo tons of train stations, airports, cities etc, however I don't know why they are in the news. Lasagna as pointed out with the whole horse meat sold as beef fuckup. Pay and decay? something to do with petrol or might be related back to NCP? I don't know.

Generally when tons of stuff like that is done well its great (like Rowson). However this is just pure labels and pretty :suicide:, which is depressing as I like Riddell's art style. It's just he can't help but do cartoons based around poo poo tons of labels or wall of text :words:.

:smith:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 12, 2013

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

(well they generally have been since 1997 I think, can't remember if John Major was anti EU)

He was generally pro EU but had lots of Eurosceptics in his cabinet/party that caused him problems.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Puntification posted:

He was generally pro EU but had lots of Eurosceptics in his cabinet/party that caused him problems.

Ah ok, cheers. :3:

Edit: How the hell did I never come across this.
http://cifwatch.com/2011/01/18/guardian-cartoonist-martin-rowson-and-israels-immutable-sin/

2011 I know, but are they just going to end up calling every single British cartoonist anti-Semitic?

Fluo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 12, 2013

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Fluo posted:

Ah ok, cheers. :3:

Edit: How the hell did I never come across this.
http://cifwatch.com/2011/01/18/guardian-cartoonist-martin-rowson-and-israels-immutable-sin/

2011 I know, but are they just going to end up calling every single British cartoonist anti-Semitic?

You're welcome, the least I could do after you bothered to fact-check the Blair-Pope time line (also the whole almost single handedly maintaining this thread thing)!
Only the one's that criticise Israel I suspect, so Mac and whoever does the telegraph's ones are probably safe.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Liverpool Care Pathway is pretty appropriate but I personally thought it stood for 'Lowest Cost Provider'. To each their own I guess!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Fluo posted:

Richard III's skeleton was found, [...] NCP [National Car Parks] which is UKs largest private car park operator, they do poo poo tons of train stations, airports, cities etc, however I don't know why they are in the news.

He was found buried under a NCP car park.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

He was found buried under a NCP car park.

Ah ofcourse! :doh:

Guardian:

Thousands of people could receive compensation after the court of appeal declared that almost government employment schemes unlawful.

Back-to-work scheme breached laws, says Court of Appeal.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21426928

Telegraph:

State of the Union: Obama pledges to reignite economy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21437782

UN condemns North Korea nuclear test
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21437876

Indy:

Hacked Off on Royal Charter for press regulation.Video in link.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21428822

Daily Mail:

quote:

More horse meat has been discovered in frozen Bolognese at Tesco stores.

quote:

“…So I said ‘If you can smuggle horse into the UK, you can smuggle us in.’….’Okay.’ he said, ‘ Twenty smackers.”

Horsemeat row: Slaughterhouse and meat firm raided.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21434077

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Fluo posted:

Daily Mail:

Horsemeat row: Slaughterhouse and meat firm raided.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21434077

Jeez... maybe we should get those CiF-watch guys to look at these cartoons instead.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Clapham Omnibus posted:

Jeez... maybe we should get those CiF-watch guys to look at these cartoons instead.

CiF-watch only really care about satiral attacks to on the Israeli government, rather then anti-semitism. :smith:

Steve Bell. :negative:

I'd really love if Kim Jong-Illin could explain LCP again but he doesn't have PMs :(. Even Steve Bell seems to need it explained to him. :negative:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 13, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fluo posted:

Thousands of people could receive compensation after the court of appeal declared that almost government employment schemes unlawful.

This sentence requires a little bit of revision, Fluo.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

This sentence requires a little bit of revision, Fluo.

Hey man, not mine was to the caption from The Grauniad. Every Bell / Rowson has one. D:

What happened Jedit? I've been out the loop all day. :(

Fluo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 13, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fluo posted:

What happened Jedit? I've been out the loop all day. :(

The DWP have been forcing unemployed people to work up to 30 unpaid hours a week for supermarkets or face losing their benefits. One young graduate just won her court case and the schemes have been ruled unlawful.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

The DWP have been forcing unemployed people to work up to 30 unpaid hours a week for supermarkets or face losing their benefits. One young graduate just won her court case and the schemes have been ruled unlawful.

Oh I knew that, I thought something happened today to do with that. There is talk because of that being ruled unlawful there is hints (underscore hints) at a lot more people doing the same and the government may have to pay compensation for all the unpaid hours they were forced to do. :yaycloud:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Holy loving poo poo Bell, loving drat it. :suicide:

Seriously requoting this post.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509550&pagenumber=93&perpage=40#post409145908

Kim Jong-Illin posted:

This is one of the few things in life that actually genuinely makes me angry. Politicians and the media need to stay the gently caress away from the Liverpool Care Pathway because they have no idea what the hell they're talking about and are actively campaigning for people to die in distress, not in dignity.

The LCP is one of the best things modern medicine has done. People used to die in hospital in distress because there was no uniformity in end of life care and a lot of doctors had no idea how to care for the dying. By taking the best practice and making it into a standardised proforma, we now provide high quality care for the dying by using the LCP. It makes sure dying people have good pain control, good anti-anxiety drugs, good anti-secretion drugs, and good anti-nausea drugs. It makes sure nurses check dying people every few hours for distress and treat it and it makes sure we don't put people through un-needed drugs during their final days.

The fluids thing in particular makes me most angry because it stems from medical ignorance among lay people. Dying people usually have very poor veins as their body shuts down and it is very difficult to get vascular access to give fluids. On top of that, their bodies cannot handle the extra fluid and it ends up pooling in the subcutaneous tissues, making them swollen, or in their lungs, worsening distress because they can't breathe. There's solid studies showing that there is no difference in time to death if fluids are given or withheld but that giving fluids is associated with more distress than withholding them.

As we've argued previously in this thread, relatives have no right to demand or deny treatment for patients unless they have power of attorney. They should be informed when the LCP is started and the proforma explicitly states that the family needs to be aware but they have no right nor the understanding to refuse their relative a dignified death. We had a very unpleasant incident the other week when the family of a dying patient came in with clippings from the Daily Mail calling the LCP a death pathway. They were angrily demanding that we withhold sedation and analgesia from their dying mother because they thought it would hasten her death - they were actively campaigning for her to die in distress because of misinformation from the media.

Steve Bell on Mervyn King.

Telegraph:

:ducksiren: :tinsley: :ducksiren:

Indy:

Daily Mail:

quote:

‘I believe the police are checking the local abattoirs’

Fluo fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 14, 2013

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Wow, that Mac was actually somewhat funny and not terrible. Have he and Steve Bell decided to write each other's jokes for the week?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

Wow, that Mac was actually somewhat funny and not terrible. Have he and Steve Bell decided to write each other's jokes for the week?

:ohdear: I don't know. :ohdear:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 14, 2013

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
You should send an e-mail to Steve Bell explaining this stuff Fluo, I mean he might not read it but it's worth a try.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

You should send an e-mail to Steve Bell explaining this stuff Fluo, I mean he might not read it but it's worth a try.

Steve Bell probably would

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Yeah going to write up an email soonish.

Guardian:

A meat processing firm in France has been named as having a central role in the horsemeat lasagne scandal.

Also holy gently caress at the processed horse! :psyduck:
It's also a parody of Napoleon Crossing the Alps. :eng101:

Since there is a new article every hour about the 'horse meat scandal' might as well just post the Q&A from yesterday. Otherwise there'd be about 24 links.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21335872

Telegraph:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21453444

quote:

Ed Miliband backs 'mansion tax' to fund 10p tax rate return
A Labour government would seek to re-introduce the 10p starting rate of tax scrapped by Gordon Brown in 2008, Ed Miliband has announced in a speech.

Indy:

:neckbeard:

Daily Mail:

quote:

“Well it says pork on the label.”
:downsrim:

Daily Express:

:downsrim:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 15, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

FOOD
SCARE
LATEST

Even the characters look shellshocked about being in that one.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I like the bird sitting on the cauliflower.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah what the hell, is that some sort of kingfisher? It's done with a fine pen instead of felt tips too, it almost looks like someone sneaked it in later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

This was inevitable (with apologies to MS Paint):

• Locked thread