Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ross posted:

Have any of those produced a universally applauded game yet?

:smith:

Crisis Core. :unsmith:

Shame on all of you for not mentioning it sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krad posted:

I was about to, but then Genesis appeared and recited poetry until I quit in disgust.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 15, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Krad posted:

Oh gently caress, totally forgot that one! Crisis Core is amazing, Gackt notwithstanding.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm still waiting for Crisis Core to pop up on PSN so I can load it onto my Vita.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

TurnipFritter posted:

It looks like it's available now in Japan, but I don't see anything about an English release.

So 2015 then if Dimensions is any indication.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

TurnipFritter posted:

It looks like it's available now in Japan, but I don't see anything about an English release.

Jesus Christ I would buy the game right now for $20. What's the deal with keeping stuff Japan-exclusive for so long? Localization doesn't take that long right, especially for a really old game that's already seen a NA release?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

1st AD posted:

Jesus Christ I would buy the game right now for $20. What's the deal with keeping stuff Japan-exclusive for so long? Localization doesn't take that long right, especially for a really old game that's already seen a NA release?

You can take the Japanese .apk, take the English files from the iOS release, and replace the Japanese with English and it will run just fine. Someone at Square needs to have some sense knocked into them. Their Japan-only Android exclusivity does nothing but lose them money.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Android version literally just came out today (well, February 14th, I guess it might be tomorrow already for some of y'all).

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

TurnipFritter posted:

The Android version literally just came out today (well, February 14th, I guess it might be tomorrow already for some of y'all).

In Japan.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Vil posted:

Also, seconding this. Xenoblade is amazing. Perfect, no, especially when it comes to the NPC and sidequest systems, but nevertheless it's amazing.

Sorry I should have mentioned I played Xenoblade, it was pretty good although the story gets a bit retarded and the side quest stuff is often just busywork. Lots of great modern JRPG mechanic adaptations that other games should take note of and that environment design was breathtaking.

I had no idea an FFXIII-3 was on the way either, that's uh...hilarious for some reason. I hope Versus isn't really dead, it seemed like the most promising thing they've worked on in a long time.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Aureon posted:

3mil copies isn't half bad for a sequel and a jrpg in this era, tbh.

Just imagine what would happen if they actually released a good Final Fantasy game, on a system that matters.

I'm pretty sure a game like Type-0 would be appreciated when the most recent Final Fantasy game have been poo poo like XIII-2 and All The Bravest.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy Tactics:

They're finally releasing an Android version of War of the Lions with "improved" graphics. The iOS version will also be patched with these improvements.

Fuuuck I deleted my iOS version which as far as I know means saves are all gone. That looks really nice though, might get me to reinstall.

Raziel 0128
Feb 18, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

They're finally releasing an Android version of War of the Lions with "improved" graphics. The iOS version will also be patched with these improvements.

drat. I need to get this. They'd better not include the slowdown problem again though.

At least the PSP version had a fan patch but it's still a dumb thing to have done, and stubbornly refuse to remove.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Anyone else feel the need to play FFVII after this morning's news? Because I do!

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.

TurnipFritter posted:

Oh my god, that looks wonderful. I guess there's no hope for them fixing the slowdown in the iOS version is there... :smith:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Krad posted:

Anyone else feel the need to play FFVII after this morning's news? Because I do!

What news is this? I can't seem to find anything relating to FFVII this morning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

What news is this? I can't seem to find anything relating to FFVII this morning.

I assume he's talking about the meteor thing that happened in Russia.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cardboard Fox posted:

Really? The Russian meteor fragments, everyone's been talking about it and today another meteor is supposed to flyby really close to the Earth but supposedly won't hit us.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ross posted:

Have any of those produced a universally applauded game yet?

:smith:

Wasn't Crisis Core generally the most well liked expansion of the FF7 world to come out ever?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Wasn't Crisis Core generally the most well liked expansion of the FF7 world to come out ever?

It was but it wasn't universally applauded. Genesis gets a lot of criticism (some very well earned). However considering its competition is utter tripe like Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus it's shocking that it ended up as well as it did.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
gently caress, I just started on the PSN FFT release for a fix because there was nothing I could play on my Nexus 7. Or 4.

But I guess I don't want to wait like 6 months for the English version.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

ImpAtom posted:

I assume he's talking about the meteor thing that happened in Russia.

Krad posted:

Really? The Russian meteor fragments, everyone's been talking about it and today another meteor is supposed to flyby really close to the Earth but supposedly won't hit us.

Oh, right, the meteor. I knew Sephiroth was behind it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

It was but it wasn't universally applauded. Genesis gets a lot of criticism (some very well earned).

Meh, Genesis. It's all about Angeal/Zack/Cloud, anyway.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

That loving Sned posted:

Just imagine what would happen if they actually released a good Final Fantasy game, on a system that matters.

I'm pretty sure a game like Type-0 would be appreciated when the most recent Final Fantasy game have been poo poo like XIII-2 and All The Bravest.

Can someone tell me why Type-0 is beloved? I'm reading the Wikipedia article and it sounds like kind of tedious. The story is stupid too, I've heard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eggie posted:

Can someone tell me why Type-0 is beloved? I'm reading the Wikipedia article and it sounds like kind of tedious. The story is stupid too, I've heard.

Because it wasn't translated and thus people are convinced it's actually super-great when it is in fact pretty average and very stupid. :ssh:

It isn't like, awful, but anyone convinced it's the Secret Great FF Game that S-E is keeping from us because they enjoy suffering is going to be pretty disappointed if/when it gets translated.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 15, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm pretty sure people are hyped about Type-0 because it looks like a blend of Crisic Core and Monster Hunter with like a dozen quite different playable characters. I've played the Japanese version and even if it got some annoying poo poo, like how the time between starting a new mission and actually playing the mission is annoyingly long, or the less than stellar camera, the core combat is still very fun. At least to me.

Here are some gameplay videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5bZmP_hlPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUoMAVVCot8

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 15, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

MrAristocrates posted:

Final Fantasy XII. :colbert:

That was not a universally applauded game.

as for Versus XIII being part of the FNC mythology, you can see a sculpture of Etro in the nightclub Noctis is in in the trailer. The gods still play a role in the Versus world, no one's sure what that is yet though.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 15, 2013

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Azure_Horizon posted:

as for Versus XIII being part of the FNC mythology, you can see a sculpture of Etro in the nightclub Noctis is in in the trailer. The gods still play a role in the Versus world, no one's sure what that is yet though.

if a 92/100 metascore, 40/40 famitsu isn't "universally applauded", how is that even measured?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Aureon posted:

if a 92/100 metascore, 40/40 famitsu isn't "universally applauded", how is that even measured?

It's not about review scores, it's about how much hate a game gets. Whether or not it deserves it.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

It's not about review scores, it's about how much hate a game gets. Whether or not it deserves it.

What a terrible metric for quality. Or what exactly are we measuring anyway?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
FF12's "reader scores" on metacritic are quite a bit lower than 92 for what it's worth.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Aureon posted:

There's a huge divide between what critics thought and what players thought regarding FFXII (as in, you can even read this thread and find that it's quite a divisive game). And, for what it's worth, FFXIII-2 also got a 40/40 from Famitsu if we're going to use that as a metric.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 15, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Here is a list of universally applauded games (extending beyond Final Fantasy for the sake of argument):

Aside from the subjectivity that comes into play in evaluating any media thing, tons of gamers are either obsessed with nostalgia and think everything that came out in 1998 and prior is perfect or love to be contrarian just for the sake of being contrarian and will (without any credentials of their own) happily say that games like Halo "obviously" have no merit despite selling tens of millions of copies to satisfied customers who play them for years and receiving outstanding critical reviews.

Oh, for example

Ross posted:

FF12's "reader scores" on metacritic are quite a bit lower than 92 for what it's worth.

FF13 is 0.2 higher on Metacritic user scores, which tells me exactly what they're worth!

But if you think Bratz: Girlz Really Rock for the PS2 (8.3) is a better game than Rock Band (8.1), Metacritic user reviews are probably the place to look.

Baku fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 15, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Oh, that's cool, which trailer was this in? I don't remember ever seeing what she looked like in XIII-2.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

But if you think Bratz: Girlz Really Rock for the PS2 (8.3) is a better game than Rock Band (8.1), Metacritic user reviews are probably the place to look.

edit: I misread, but the thing with user scores is that unless you're employed to do so, you're unlikely to review a game unless you have strong feelings about it.

Dross fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 15, 2013

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
So are there any Square games that we can all agree are great? I can't think of any FF games, maybe IV? I prefer IV and VI to VII but I'm 32 and have rose-colored nostalgia glasses, I have no problems admitting VII is a great game with a dreadful translation.

What about Chrono Trigger. Any objections there?

edit vvvvv I was just thinking that too, after reading his post re: Zelda OoT

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Here is a list of universally applauded games (extending beyond Final Fantasy for the sake of argument):

Ocarina of Time

Completely agreed, good job! :thumbsup:

edit:

Ross posted:

So are there any Square games that we can all agree are great?

I said it at some point before, the thread title should be "Final Fantasy Megathread: Every game is the worst game in the series (except FFV)"

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Dimensions is really fun so far, I really like the job system and auto-battle makes it really easy to mindlessly grind your levels up. I'm already at level 25 and I'm only on chapter 2 (I assume I'm not very far in the story).

Without spoiling the plot, what are some good job combinations? Right now I like getting the INT or MND + 20% from leveled up Black/White Mages and pairing those with the HP + 20% from a Red Mage. I haven't found a good combo for the physical attack classes other than throwing Counter on everyone.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I think FF5 gets crapped on the least by a wide margin. Sure, it has its flaws, but those are generally reacted to in a "sure, it has its flaws, but" way rather than a "goddammit this ruins everything" way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I wish there was a way to spread the FJF concept of "Everybody does a certain challenge with random criteria" to other FF games. The same thing doesn't work for FF3 for a variety of reasons, and there's only so much variety you can have with six random jobs in FF1's case. Really, there's only 12 IZJS and Tactics that could do something like that, and the former's too small to really do anything with, while the other might be a bit too complex to get a good working system for. Everything else is either set (FF4/9) or has systems where the character development itself is completely interchangable. Even Dimensions wouldn't really work since it dumps half its jobs early on and then slowly gives out the rest as the game progresses.

Of course, it kind of speaks highly for FF5 that such a challenge can be so drat fun and feasible for pretty much anyone, much like Same Class Challenges in FFT where everyone is the same class the entire game.