Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Yes extremely well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Maybe I'll install it

and now download 50% of the game :negative:

Steam is so loving buggy :pcgaming:

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

Maybe I'll install it

and now download 50% of the game :negative:

Steam is so loving buggy :pcgaming:

I've tried using the backup method, and it took a second try before Steam properly restored the files from the backups.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So I'm trying this ENB thingamajig wrapper as my first foray into modding the game's graphics, and it looks awesome and works flawlessly...

Except that I can see directly through my hand and gun for some reason. Turning the whole ENB wrapper off ingame solidifies the gun (the hand stays a little transparent), and I'm offhandedly assuming it's a thing with the SSAO, but I have no idea how to fix it. Is this something I'm just going to have to deal with?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 16, 2013

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Open enbseries.ini in notepad and either set

code:
EnableAmbientOcclusion=false
Or leave it true and set

code:
AOAmount=0.5
or some other small value. The first person view becomes more transparent the higher AO is set. I think turning AO off completely looks way worse personally so I prefer to deal with some transparency.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've done some finagling, and it seems that the Detailed Shadows option is what causes it to happen. Turning off ambient occlusion does not help the transparency. That's kind of upsetting because the detailed shadows option is almost the only thing I'm using it for! :v:

EDIT: And now for some reason ambient occlusion is also causing the transparency! This is some weird poo poo. :iiam:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 16, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

CJacobs posted:

I've done some finagling, and it seems that the Detailed Shadows option is what causes it to happen. Turning off ambient occlusion does not help the transparency. That's kind of upsetting because the detailed shadows option is almost the only thing I'm using it for! :v:

It's AO in Skyrim and earlier versions of the FNV ENB. Are you sure you have it disablesd?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Twee as gently caress posted:

Am I missing something?

The New Vegas Uncut mods are good, especially Freeside Open - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46355 - and Outside Bets - http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/46648. The latter restores NPCs removed my later patches and DLC and so restores difficulty.

CCO works fine with jsawyer - it's got explicit support for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After yet more fiddling with it, I have determined that in the latest version, ambient occlusion causes the transparency, but you can see the shadows from the detailed shadows option through said transparency as well. Turning down AO fixes it for the most part, so I guess I do just have to put up with it after all.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Anyone had problem with Rex just non-stop growling with Mission Mojave installed? Really turned him from awesome to extremely annoying. MM and jsawyers mod are the only gameplay changers I got and I don't think this caused by the latter.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.
Made a snazzy 'lil Fairbairn-Sykes, will just need to get Naky to convert it now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

This is a good update for ENB. Being able to change the enbseries.ini settings in game is a godsend, and it looks like the old prepass and bloom files are still compatible.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
For those who miss something like the Monster Mod (which vanished because ripping models from other games is against Nexus policy) some guy has made a pretty bitching looking replacement.

I asked in comments for a plug in to remove the Arachnids and he complied, cool dude. Check it out.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Ahahaha

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

:stonk:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Mission Mojave has a slew of sometimes questionable and downright offensive changes, like setting the owner to everything not nailed down to NPC 00000001 (this makes about as much sense as you'd expect it to) and the removal of rank-and-file NCR female soldiers respectively. I'd shithouse that one, especially considering New Vegas is relatively functional as-is.

Is there a changelog I could see somewhere? I need to see this for myself.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is there a changelog I could see somewhere? I need to see this for myself.
There is a changelog in their readme (the far right tab). But as the readme itself says: it's by no means complete.
There are a lot of completely undocumented changes. The inclusion of the old Community Patch which had no changelog at all and included a lot of completely untested "fixes" that just broke crap doesn't help.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Arenovalis posted:

Made a snazzy 'lil Fairbairn-Sykes, will just need to get Naky to convert it now.

If you've gotta stab a man, do it in style.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
Does anyone else have a problem with big two handed weapons with backpacks remaining on the third person model even after switching weapons? I think it might happen with an unmodded game, but I can't seem to get the right phrasing on Nexus search to find something to fix it.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

As terrible as a lot of that looks, I have to admire a design document that consists entirely of "Take enemies that are already in the game, make them swole as gently caress."

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Doomsayer posted:

As terrible as a lot of that looks, I have to admire a design document that consists entirely of "Take enemies that are already in the game, make them swole as gently caress."

My design document consists of consuming large amounts of alcohol and haphazardly putting guns together. I still win :smug:

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Giggily posted:

This is a good update for ENB. Being able to change the enbseries.ini settings in game is a godsend, and it looks like the old prepass and bloom files are still compatible.

Do you have to edit some files to make it look that good? I got the latest ENB, read the readme which just says to unpack into F:NV dir, but the game doesn't look anywhere near that good.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Naky posted:

My design document consists of consuming large amounts of alcohol and haphazardly putting guns together. I still win :smug:

This is the design philosphy that I've based my own off of.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zilkin posted:

Do you have to edit some files to make it look that good? I got the latest ENB, read the readme which just says to unpack into F:NV dir, but the game doesn't look anywhere near that good.

I'm using frankenstein ENB files, a modified version of Nevada Skies, Vurt's Wasteland Flora Overhaul, NMC/Poco Bueno textures, Mojave Nights, Interior Lighting Overhaul, and a few .ini tweaks to make the grass denser. I'm probably forgetting something on that list, but whatever.

With just regular Nevada Skies/Interior Lighting Overhaul your game should look pretty similar if you use these ENB files. http://filesmelt.com/dl/ENB_stuff1.7z

e: Woops, uploaded a hosed up enbseries.ini. Reuploaded everything with one that I remembered to save.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 17, 2013

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
So I've been wanting to replay New Vegas but my current install is a giant loving mess so I'm going to nuke the whole thing and start over. Which directories do I need to clear out to start from scratch? Obviously the game one but I know there's other settings ones I've changed that I can't remember where they ended up.

Also how does that F:NV/FO3 merge mod work? The idea of a mega Fallout is pretty drat interesting to me but not if it breaks mods or DLC.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Chief Savage Man posted:

So I've been wanting to replay New Vegas but my current install is a giant loving mess so I'm going to nuke the whole thing and start over. Which directories do I need to clear out to start from scratch? Obviously the game one but I know there's other settings ones I've changed that I can't remember where they ended up.

Also how does that F:NV/FO3 merge mod work? The idea of a mega Fallout is pretty drat interesting to me but not if it breaks mods or DLC.

I asked the same question on the last page. The answer is that you go in steam, you tell it to backup New Vegas, then you go into Steamapps and delete the whole New Vegas folder from there, and then tell steam to restore the game. It'll redownload the files that are needed, and re-install the rest from the hard drive.

Never tried the other mod sorry

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Chief Savage Man posted:

Install Fallout 3 and NV, with all DLCs for both. Running the TTW installer basically moves all the FO3 assets into your NV directory, and makes a few changes to the fallout 3 ESMs for it all to function. You'll start the game in Vault 101, and the first time you travel to the Mojave (via a train station next to Dukov's place) it plays the NV intro and you wake up at Doc Mitchel's, with all the stuff you were carrying when you left DC; there's another train station in Freeside if you want to go back.

I can confirm that Operation Anchorage and Point Lookout work properly for the FO3 DLCs, as well as Old World Blues. I kept crashing trying to start Honest Hearts, but I've had that issue without TTW so I don't think it's really relevant here. When you first exit Vault 101 a prompt appears asking which Couriers Stash packages you want to receive (Jsawyer messes this up - you won't receive anything even if you activate it at the prompt) GRA items also show up at vendor's as intended. I can't speak for the other DLCs yet.

NV mods should all work properly, unless it automatically adds something to your inventory at the start of the game; the Vault 101 intro removes everything in your inventory a few times, with no way to get back lost items. Fallout 3 mods are iffy though; some can be made to work, but since FOSE and NVSE are not the same thing, there are a lot of mods that won't play nice, or even at all.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 17, 2013

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

Chief Savage Man posted:

Aside from the game directory, as far as I know, the only other thing to worry about is the FNV directory in the My Games folder, which has a couple of ini files and any existing saves, so if you want to remove those to be safe, you can. The backup and restore works, but you may need to try to restore a couple of times before Steam correctly does so, otherwise it'll just attempt to redownload the entire set of files unnecessarily.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8LqrlGUUV0

Looks like equipping multiple weapons at the same time might be possible soon. Author says he's too busy to do it to all the armors but he's gonna release the how-to, scripts, etc to the community to take over from there.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Giggily posted:

I'm using frankenstein ENB files, a modified version of Nevada Skies, Vurt's Wasteland Flora Overhaul, NMC/Poco Bueno textures, Mojave Nights, Interior Lighting Overhaul, and a few .ini tweaks to make the grass denser. I'm probably forgetting something on that list, but whatever.

With just regular Nevada Skies/Interior Lighting Overhaul your game should look pretty similar if you use these ENB files. http://filesmelt.com/dl/ENB_stuff1.7z

e: Woops, uploaded a hosed up enbseries.ini. Reuploaded everything with one that I remembered to save.

Thanks! Game looks pretty now.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any easy way to install the armory mod, or really whats the correct order/way should I be installing the updates? It was great when I installed 2.5 with FOMM but I tried to update to the latest and now it just hangs at the intro screen and none of the menu options show up.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

ColoradoCleric posted:

Is there any easy way to install the armory mod, or really whats the correct order/way should I be installing the updates? It was great when I installed 2.5 with FOMM but I tried to update to the latest and now it just hangs at the intro screen and none of the menu options show up.

2.5 FOMM (it will take a long time, you think it's frozen but it's not, just walk away for a bit) + latest 2.9 WIP afterwards. Or you can get the 2.5 manual and extract it yourself manually if you're too paranoid about FOMM hanging extracting the entire shebang.

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.

Released my own ENB preset since I couldn't find one to my liking.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/49344/

Probably not for everyone's tastes but I like my poo poo vibrant and bluish.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zilkin posted:

No problem! I messed around with those settings for personal use, so I'm a little surprised that they really work on another set up at all.

Arenovalis posted:

Released my own ENB preset since I couldn't find one to my liking.

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/49344/

Probably not for everyone's tastes but I like my poo poo vibrant and bluish.

Did you do this via ENB's tinting? If so I would totally recommend at some point messing around with the outdoors lighting values in the GECK. I heard about a month ago that a problem with ENB in New Vegas is that if you mess around with the tinting too much it messes up what the DLC areas look like, because their lighting is different than the Mojave Wasteland's. So you might want to look into finding another way to get a bluish tint in game other than through ENB, assuming you care about the ~mood~ of things like Dead Money.

For example, in comparison to Zilkin's game, here is what mine looks like with the same ENB stuff:

Also what did you change to make the colors more vibrant? It's pretty nice, I feel like my current set up is a little washed out sometimes.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Zilkin posted:

It looks like someone mixed a bag of M&M's with some poop from a butt. Turn those colors down enough to where the texture on the rifle doesn't get devoured by the pitch black shadow being cast by the scope. I'm pretty sure I would end up feeling sick having to use a color palette that sensitive. :barf:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

It looks like someone mixed a bag of M&M's with some poop from a butt. Turn those colors down enough to where the texture on the rifle doesn't get devoured by the pitch black shadow being cast by the scope. I'm pretty sure I would end up feeling sick having to use a color palette that sensitive. :barf:

You can very easily change the harshness of the lighting by editing the LightingIntensityDay, LightingCurveDay, AmbientLightingIntensityDay, and AmbientLightingCurveDay settings under the enbseries.ini. It's even easier with the in game editor.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Speaking of ENB stuff, I've nearly got mine dialed in. However, two bugs:

1) Some lights come out like this:

2) Bright lights do weird things to hair:

Any ideas on what to fiddle with?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
What the heck is ENB, anyway? I've never seen anyone explain it, ever, and the OP only lists specific weather mods.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Have a gander at: http://www.enbdev.com/

In general, spruces up your graphics, usually. Sometimes your settings have odd effects like what Capn Beeb posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Capn Beeb posted:

2) Bright lights do weird things to hair:

Any ideas on what to fiddle with?

Your lack of taste for a manly, Sean Connery-esque kickass beard :colbert: