Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fried Sushi posted:

I think some classes could use some skill pruning more than others, on my LM I had to add 4 more hotkeys than I normally use and I still have a couple skills to get. Some of them can probably have their abilities combined into one skill. My champ seems fine with the skills it has, could maybe remove/combine a couple but it doesn't feel too bloated.

Another benefit of removing some of the skill bloat is they could start adding new interesting skills in expansions, last few expansions just see changes to existing skills because they realized around Moria that they had too much skill bloat as it was.

Yeah, I've only put time into a guardian which is already simple enough.

I quite like having a few skills I can just say no thanks to and ignore. Makes me feel like a special snowflake who makes *choices*.

But then I've also only been playing for ~6 weeks so maybe the lifers would welcome a revamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Yeah, I've only put time into a guardian which is already simple enough.

I quite like having a few skills I can just say no thanks to and ignore. Makes me feel like a special snowflake who makes *choices*.

But then I've also only been playing for ~6 weeks so maybe the lifers would welcome a revamp.

I don't want them to do a massive overhaul, I do like having a lot of skill options, it is one of the reasons I enjoy LOTRO. But they could consolidate on some of the classes to reduce some of the overall skills. For example I am up to 35+ hotkeys on my Loremaster, and I still have a number of skills that I click to use. Consolidating 5-10 skills would still leave 30+ skills to use and could free up room for some new skills in the future.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm mentally retarded when it comes to hotkeys so I do everything but moving and tabbing to different enemies with the mouse. Too many skills makes my life real difficult in PC games.

Telurides
Sep 13, 2009
Going on 8 hours over. This is disappointing.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Telurides posted:

But at least that back-end is gonna be TIGHT.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Telurides posted:

Yeah, this must really suck for the guys doing the work too.

I just hope they have it resolved in about 4 hours, because that's around when I can start playing, and I got 1.5 levels to get before tomorrow, and most of those need to happen tonight due to family plans.

Telurides
Sep 13, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

But at least that back-end is gonna be TIGHT.

Thank Go... Wait, what are we talking about again?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Telurides posted:

Thank Go... Wait, what are we talking about again?

The maintenance currently being done is "primarily billing system and related back-end systems maintenance/upgrades."

Telurides
Sep 13, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

The maintenance currently being done is "primarily billing system and related back-end systems maintenance/upgrades."

Right, of course. I knew that's what you meant by tight back end.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, this must really suck for the guys doing the work too.

I just hope they have it resolved in about 4 hours, because that's around when I can start playing, and I got 1.5 levels to get before tomorrow, and most of those need to happen tonight due to family plans.

Might just move OD to next week. In fact I think that's what I'm gonna do. We'll still do something tomorrow but I didn't give people a lot of advance notice to begin with and now with the maintenance it's probably just better to shoot for the 23rd. Then more people can get leveled, more people can work on their virtues and we can get more people level 65/75 2nd ages to get leveled.

Telurides posted:

Right, of course. I knew that's what you meant by tight back end.

What else would it be? I can't think of any other way to interpret what I said.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

These are also called back ends.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
The drama on the LOTRO Facebook page is amazing. :allears:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I think this downtime is made so much worse by the fact that we're not going to see any performance improvements whatsoever in the actual game. It's all for their billing and customer service systems. I bet the Euros are freaking out since it's Friday night primetime over there.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
The big question is whether there will be a new lottery one everything comes up?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?501471-Turbine-Maintenance-Update-2-15-2013

Short version, as I read it: "Holy poo poo, we hosed up some stuff bad. Oh god we have no idea how long this poo poo will take to fix. Here's some free points, and some free sub days if you're VIP".

Edit, here's the full version, as the tweet says excessive load will probably cause issues, and I already can no longer browse the other forums:

quote:

We are working to resolve ongoing issues with our system maintenance. At this time we do not have a specific estimate for when the game servers will be available. Our goal is to make the games available as soon as possible. However we would like to advise players that the service may continue to be unavailable this evening. We will continue to provide updates as we have them.

As a thank you for your understanding and patience during this downtime, all Premium and VIP players who have logged into their account in the past 30 Days (as of 6:00AM Eastern time on 2/14/2013) will receive 250 Turbine points. In addition, all VIP players who have logged in during the same period will have their accounts credited 1 day of VIP time for each day of downtime, plus 1 additional day. All points and additional time will be granted automatically as soon as our regular service is restored and stable.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Well now we definitely aren't doing OD tomorrow.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Woodchip posted:

Try to get your raiding virtues (Innocence/Tolerance/Zeal/Honour/Fidelity or Compassion) up before OD this weekend if possible. Check your deed log and see if there are any explorer deeds with those traits as rewards, or if you're close with a slayer or quest deed that you know you can knock out. Now that lots of folks are approaching endgame we should get some fellowships together and get those deeds done.

Is there any useful trait/deed site now? I used to use Burgzerg(?) but it appears it has been untouched for years and is pretty useless now.

xZAOx posted:

I know as a hunter I feel I have way too many skills. I can't stand having hotbar after hotbar of crap to click. Granted, one bar is all travel stuff, but even besides that, I feel I have too many buttons. I'm assuming that since hunters are generally considered the easiest class to play, other classes have it way worse. Either way, I'm looking forward to the skill pruning.

As terrible as Aion is, the skill combo system is something people need to steal. In lotro if I'm using my captain I need to set each skill in a tree to a button. So shout, then pressing/devastating blow, then blade of elendil. In aion it'd be "press 1 for shout, 1 for devastating blow or 2 for pressing attack, 1 for blade of elendil" and saves space nicely.

xZAOx posted:

http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?501471-Turbine-Maintenance-Update-2-15-2013

Short version, as I read it: "Holy poo poo, we hosed up some stuff bad. Oh god we have no idea how long this poo poo will take to fix. Here's some free points, and some free sub days if you're VIP".

Edit, here's the full version, as the tweet says excessive load will probably cause issues, and I already can no longer browse the other forums:

250 TP for another pile of questing writs? Don't mind if I do. :chord:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I can't complain about 250 TP. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

ruffz posted:

I think this downtime is made so much worse by the fact that we're not going to see any performance improvements whatsoever in the actual game. It's all for their billing and customer service systems. I bet the Euros are freaking out since it's Friday night primetime over there.

You're probably right.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brave New World posted:

I can't complain about 250 TP. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

What's that in real money? Like £2?

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

sassassin posted:

What's that in real money? Like £2?

It's not much, but it is enough to buy 25 Traveler's Writs so you don't have to run from quest giver to quest giver. I consider that a win!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

King of the Cosmos posted:

It's not much, but it is enough to buy 25 Traveler's Writs so you don't have to run from quest giver to quest giver. I consider that a win!

And used properly, 25 writs can save you an hour or two of running around. That's easily worth the 250TP they cost. I'd be interested to see how high up in total sales those are for their items. XP boosters tend to be the highest for a game but these are also time savers, better ones in some cases since running around for 5-10 minutes doing nothing is a hell of a lot more dull than fighting for 5-10 minutes.

e: Another nice way to thank people would be to run some more goddamn lotteries and put up some nice rewards for them, like elder king symbols for the level 60 and 70 ones (and celebrimbors for the 80s).

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Getting the Dunlending Tremens...

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I've enjoyed what Turbine has done for Dungeons and Dragons, but I've never looked into the LOTR offering before. During this (loving awful) downtime, I'm reading up on LOTRO a bit and I've discovered monster play.

The idea sounds absolutely awesome and I want to think it's the coolest thing ever, so please crush my dreams and tell me the Real Truth. Can you actually spend all of your time in game as a villain? How fleshed out is the system relative to the Free Peoples? Is there a goon group that does monster play?

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've enjoyed what Turbine has done for Dungeons and Dragons, but I've never looked into the LOTR offering before. During this (loving awful) downtime, I'm reading up on LOTRO a bit and I've discovered monster play.

The idea sounds absolutely awesome and I want to think it's the coolest thing ever, so please crush my dreams and tell me the Real Truth. Can you actually spend all of your time in game as a villain? How fleshed out is the system relative to the Free Peoples? Is there a goon group that does monster play?

There are Goons who play monsters and they seem to enjoy it. The only problem is that monster play is limited to a single area of the game. I've never played myself so I cant say much more than that.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Monster Play is unlikely to be a main form of gameplay for you. It can feel highly repetitive and progress can feel really slow, and the classes on creepside are designed to encourage grouping. So what happens is either no groups are around, which means grinding EXTREMELY BORING low-reward daily quests, or there is a raid going and generally the creeps farm freeps until the freeps finally give up. Right now on Silverload there's someone who seems to have an open raid every evening and he and a couple others are very good at organizing the group and committing to a strategy.

Some people LIVE in MPvP and do it all day. It's got the same sort of extremely dedicated few any other MMO with PvP tacked on has. They live in this PvP universe and don't care much about the PvE and take it somewhat seriously. But even the "serious PvPers" in Lotro have a mellowness only Lotro can inspire.

Freeps = Free Peoples, creeps = Monster PvP characters

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The facebook page is pretty funny. You've got the typical people complaining that the service is down, and then a whole bunch of people trotting out the 'whiny entitled babies' line and practically thanking Turbine for the delays.

As if it is somehow unreasonable to be disappointed when a (re)scheduled maintenance period runs over by 20 hours and without an update in 9.

quote:

Heaven forbid that you have to actually go into Reality for a few days! Jesus, people, learn that there is more to life than virtual reality. I am actually worried for some of you. I have this very vivid image that you're foaming at the teeth and clawing at your computer...tis a sad image indeed.

This dude's getting laid tonight I can tell.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

"Foaming at the teeth", I like that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Turbine should give us a Hobbit captain as excuse for long waiting.

At least someone's talking sense.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
There's extreme opinions on both ends. Nobody is happy right now.

I have a lot of sympathy right now for whoever is still stuck there trying to get the equipment running correctly. I'm really curious if it's an actual equipment problem or if they just severely underestimated how much time data transfers were going to take. Or gremlins.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
253 peopled 'liked' the last update saying they have no idea when the servers will be back online. 1,118 the one before.

Facebook is a weird place.

quote:

I've never realized how many beautiful ladies actually play Lotro...

Go get em, Bill, you old charmer.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 16, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sassassin posted:

Go get em, Bill, you old charmer.

I can feel my ovaries ovulating already.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hmmmmmm, I don't use facebook but for sexy nerd ladies I can get my creep on for a bit!

Also; Still down :<

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 16, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ok Turbine, as much as I appreciate the unexpected free time to get through more of the Song of Ice and Fire series I'd really like to play sometime this weekend.

Sorry about the OD run that probably won't happen today, but maybe tomorrow?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Their last update was to say that they will next update us at 5pm GMT supposedly.

At this point it must be pretty bad if they don't feel they can say why it's taking so long.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

sassassin posted:

Their last update was to say that they will next update us at 5pm GMT supposedly.

At this point it must be pretty bad if they don't feel they can say why it's taking so long.

I can't imagine everything is lost but they must have botched something if they can't give a reason in any of the last half dozen "keep waiting" updates.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Turbine is back! Perhaps a clever ruse to prevent people from wanting to play the SimCity beta?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

All u addicted ppl ease up and let em do their job just do somethin else go out for dinner or whatever all that whining suxx me off shows alot of u guys

edit: Online in 30 minutes OR SO THEY SAY

sassassin fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 16, 2013

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005
Woo! Back up and running! :D

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Edit: In

Unctuous Cretin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU