Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

kidsafe posted:

They source most of their bourbon from Heaven Hill, but may also blend bourbons from multiple distilleries.

It's never been confirmed, but it is assumed since KBD (The company that sources the juice for BMH) is pretty much across the road from Heaven Hill. CVI (The company that owns the Black Mapel Hill label) even put out a notice to their distributors a few years back trying to dispell the HH rumors. It stated they have no connection and that they have never been associated with Heaven Hill. However, it was cleverly worded, they didn't actually deny that there was juice from Heaven Hill in BMH whiskey.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Had Wild Turkey 101 for the first time because of this thread. Thank you thread.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Herr Tog posted:

Had Wild Turkey 101 for the first time because of this thread. Thank you thread.

The old 101 is some great stuff.

Drinking some Angel's Envy right now - a sample given to me by a friend. I don't know what to make of the stuff. The nose on it is phenominal and just reeks of ripe fruit and honeyed sweetness. However the taste feels a little thin on the palette and the finish trails off into a bitter note. Maybe this was a bad batch? I've heard nothing but good things about it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

kidsafe posted:

If you want to try a Canadian whisky that is 100% rye, then look at Alberta Premium.

Or, in a roundabout way, get Whistlepig. It's excellent, 100% rye, and born in Canada (bottled in Vermont).

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

ChickenArise posted:

Or, in a roundabout way, get Whistlepig. It's excellent, 100% rye, and born in Canada (bottled in Vermont).

Or Jefferson's Rye if you can find it. It's most likely the same juice, just 94 proof instead of 100 and half the price.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Smokewagon posted:

If you can find them try Alberta Springs (10yr), Forty Creek, and Wiser's.

I haven't tried Alberta Springs, but I'll second Forty Creek.

Jetfire posted:

I'd personally recommend avoiding Wiser's unless you start at Small Batch or better. Special Blend and De Luxe are bland or uninteresting rail quality.

Smokewagon posted:

I should had been more specific when menitoning wiser's. I have only ever had the Legacy.

Yeah, Wiser's really is just a mixing whisky unless you get at least Legacy (haven't tried Small Batch).

For what it's worth, I can also recommend Canadian Club Sherry Cask, if you enjoy a sherried whisky.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It was my birthday yesterday and after having a rough week and recently being single, I figured I'd buy myself a nice bottle of Scotch. I ended up getting the 15 year single barrel Balvenie. This is delicious! I'm not very well versed in Scotch so I don't have much to compare it to, but I'm really enjoying the flavors. Did I get the wrong one? Obviously I'm enjoying it but maybe it could be due to ignorance.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Doh004 posted:

It was my birthday yesterday and after having a rough week and recently being single, I figured I'd buy myself a nice bottle of Scotch. I ended up getting the 15 year single barrel Balvenie. This is delicious! I'm not very well versed in Scotch so I don't have much to compare it to, but I'm really enjoying the flavors. Did I get the wrong one? Obviously I'm enjoying it but maybe it could be due to ignorance.
You made an excellent choice. Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel is one of the richest, most indulgent single bourbon cask offerings out there. Considering how much of it they have to produce, it's amazing how consistent it is from batch to batch.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm looking at picking up a bottle of Talisker 10 next time I get the chance. Is that as good a choice as I think it is?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

I'm looking at picking up a bottle of Talisker 10 next time I get the chance. Is that as good a choice as I think it is?

Depends. Are you well acquainted with strong, aggressive whiskies like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, etc? It's not super peaty, but it comes across fairly strong with some peppery notes and wood (I remember tasting cherry wood, oddly enough).

If you like those sort of flavors, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's good stuff - although I wish it wasn't so expensive compared to the peaty Islays.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
SO, I'm at Mccaren, and apparently, their duty-free has a unique version of Jack Daniels called Sinatra Select. Should try it out? I mean, part of me feels like it's not that much better than regular jack. But, who knows, right?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I have not seen it nor tried it, but if it's going for the $150 I am seeing quoted around the web, it seems like a bad bargain to me unless you have a shrine to Blue Eyes in your house or something.

Apparently, it's made by aging JD in barrels with grooved staves, so it has more wood contact and gets a deeper color. This is then mingled with regular old JD No. 7. It's bottled at 90 proof, and it's a liter instead of a 750.

I think (again, not having tried it) that there's better whiskey to be had for a C and a half.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

cptn_dr posted:

All the Talisker I've had has pepper notes that are extremely distinctive IMX. Talisker is neat but it's not... emblematic of anything I really like about scotch if that makes sense. I enjoy it but I prefer something either sweeter, peatier, or smokier for a basic 10 year.

My favorite 10 Years are, depending on the mood, Edradour for a sweeter highland-type and Laphroaig or Ardbeg for Islay, but I feel like I generally see Laphroaig 10 Cheaper than Ardbeg 10 and like it just fine.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I ordered whisky at a bar for the first time ever and decided to try something different-- ended up with the Suntory Yamazaki 12. I really liked it. Do other Japanese whiskys compare well to it? It seems like a good deal at $50.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 17, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kidsafe posted:

You made an excellent choice. Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel is one of the richest, most indulgent single bourbon cask offerings out there. Considering how much of it they have to produce, it's amazing how consistent it is from batch to batch.

Well then, glad I got lucky :)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Glottis posted:

I ordered whisky at a bar for the first time ever and decided to try something different-- ended up with the Suntory Yamazaki 12. I really liked it. Do other Japanese whiskys compare well to it? It seems like a good deal at $50.
Most people generally like the 12yr, but are simply floored by the 18yr, so definitely try that the next time you hit the bar. I've never been disappointed by a Suntory or Nikka whisky.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 17, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Glottis posted:

Yamazaki 12 is famous for just being delicious. I don't know much about Japanese honestly, but I've not heard much bad about most of them.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Glottis posted:

I've only tried a few whisky offerings from Japan. I've had the Suntory Yamazaki 12, and 18 as well as the Suntory Hakushu 12. The Yamazaki 12 was good and tasty, the 18 was good as well, but i'm not sure if it was twice as good, since it costs twice what the 12 does. I also enjoyed the Hakushi 12. To me, the Yamazaki had more citrus and sweetness, while the Hakushi had more earth and smoke. Also. the Hakushi reminded me a bit of the bread my my dad makes on his Primo grill. :iiam:

My favorite so far however has been Nikka Yoichi 12, little bit of fruit, smoke, and peat, all in the perfect amounts. Last time I found a bottle it lasted all of 3 weeks, but in my defense I was sharing it with a friend or three.

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
Just finished a bottle of Greenore 8yr. It's a single grain Irish whiskey that is 100% corn, so it's basically an aged Irish bourbon, with the sweetness that entails. Not too many nuances in the flavor, though, so I'd recommend it as a novelty or if you get it for a great deal.

Also, what's the consensus on Crown Maple? Gross gimmick or tasty gimmick?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I owe somebody a bottle of scotch, but I'm in Ohio which is a terrible place for whisky. My standard is HP 12, but that's not terribly exciting. How well does buying online work? I'm going for something in the $75ish range. The guy likes scotch, has enjoyed Highland Park and Laphroaig, so he's not afraid of lots of flavor or peat.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

I owe somebody a bottle of scotch, but I'm in Ohio which is a terrible place for whisky. My standard is HP 12, but that's not terribly exciting. How well does buying online work? I'm going for something in the $75ish range. The guy likes scotch, has enjoyed Highland Park and Laphroaig, so he's not afraid of lots of flavor or peat.

Where in Ohio do you live? The Party Source operates just outside of Cinncinnati and has an enormous selection. They also ship, but I don't know what their shipping costs are.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 17, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
Maker's reversed their decision, they are now going back to botteling at 90% ABV :smug:. Maybe some day we will find out if the Samuel's were really behind the decision or if it was the Beam Inc. bean counters. I'm thinking the Sameul's were a bit :smugbert: when Beam Inc. came back to them and said the bean counters were wrong and they need to stop making the 42% ABV and go back to producing the 45% ABV.

Now the collectors are going to go have to buy up all the 42% ABV and drink up all the 45% ABV they already bought. :lol:

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 17, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Hypnolobster posted:

Does it have to be Scotch? Maybe you can surprise him with a Japanese whisky instead? If not, since he likes Laphroaig, maybe get him something a little different. Something like the Quarter Cask or the Triple Wood, both by Laphroaig. If you want to give him something he may not think of trying maybe consider Compass Box Flaming Heart, it is a blend but it is something he might appreciate.

NightConqueror posted:

Where in Ohio do you live? The Party Source operates just outside of Cinncinnati and has an enormous selection. They also ship, but I don't know what their shipping costs are.

TPS is one of my favorite stores to visit when I'm traveling out their way. It's worth the trip from Cincinnati for sure.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I want some whiskey that's older than I am. I'll be turning 30 in a year. Where can I get some/what should I get/how much will should I pay?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mlnhd posted:

I want some whiskey that's older than I am. I'll be turning 30 in a year. Where can I get some/what should I get/how much will should I pay?
You might be able find independent bottlings of scotch as low as $150, but to an extent you get what you pay for. Most independents are going to be closer to $200, and official bottlings direct from the distilleries will be $300-400. It would be a lot easier to find something like a vintage Armagnac that is at least 30 years old.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

If I were that guy I'd be excited to get Lagavulin 16 or any Ardbeg. Not sure how that squares with Ohio's prices though. Lagavulin 16 is about $135 here in my rural Washington store, and I've yet to see any Ardbeg carried locally.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Cpt.Wacky posted:

If I were that guy I'd be excited to get Lagavulin 16 or any Ardbeg. Not sure how that squares with Ohio's prices though. Lagavulin 16 is about $135 here in my rural Washington store, and I've yet to see any Ardbeg carried locally.

135 for lagavulin 16? Goddamn. At least for much of last year you'dve been better buying from astor wines and spirits and paying the shipping charges. They were selling it for like 50 something (by far the best price in NYC).

Showing it at $68 at the moment, definitely 10-20 less than most places and I feel like I've seen some places charging 30 more.

http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResultsSingle.aspx?p=2&search=04164&searchtype=Contains

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 18, 2013

jlim
Jan 6, 2005
Loyal to Bun
Just starting to get into Scotch and tried Highland Park 12 for the first time tonight. It is so easy to drink and delicious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Holy poo poo. If you pay over $70 before tax for Lagavulin 16 in California you're being swindled. Wasn't privatization supposed to lower prices in Washington?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Kenning posted:

Wasn't privatization supposed to lower prices in Washington?

Not really. When previous privatization initiatives failed, one of the reasons, it turned out, was the impact to state revenues. It was kind of unexpected because you usually think people don't like taxes, but people apparently figured out that cutting income either led to more budget cuts or taxes raised elsewhere, so the last and successful initiative authorized taxes to replace the lost revenue. In addition to normal sales tax, there's a large sales tax surcharge, plus an additional per volume tax to discourage poor people from tanking up on cheap liquor. Don't ask me what people thought they were getting from the initiative but low taxes wasn't it.

Of course, CostCo and other businesses promoting the initiative aren't giving up the profit margins the state was formerly making or that they're making in other states, so now we're paying both the corporations and the state.

I voted for the initiative mostly because I was hoping private businesses would improve selection vs. the crappy old state stores. It took a while but that plan is starting to bear fruit with places like Total Wine and Downtown Spirits opening, provided I'm willing to fund a lot of roads for CostCo executives to drive fancy cars on.

Final total: expensive liquor.

Base Emitter fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 18, 2013

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I got some Buffalo Trace, and it's pretty drat good for 20$. I think this could be my every day drinking whiskey.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Base Emitter posted:

Not really. When previous privatization initiatives failed, one of the reasons, it turned out, was the impact to state revenues. It was kind of unexpected because you usually think people don't like taxes, but people apparently figured out that cutting income either led to more budget cuts or taxes raised elsewhere, so the last and successful initiative authorized taxes to replace the lost revenue. In addition to normal sales tax, there's a large sales tax surcharge, plus an additional per volume tax to discourage poor people from tanking up on cheap liquor. Don't ask me what people thought they were getting from the initiative but low taxes wasn't it.

Of course, CostCo and other businesses promoting the initiative aren't giving up the profit margins the state was formerly making or that they're making in other states, so now we're paying both the corporations and the state.

I voted for the initiative mostly because I was hoping private businesses would improve selection vs. the crappy old state stores. It took a while but that plan is starting to bear fruit with places like Total Wine and Downtown Spirits opening, provided I'm willing to fund a lot of roads for CostCo executives to drive fancy cars on.

:( :( :(

Seriously I hear about Australians paying like $50 for a fifth of Jameson and I can't imagine what my life would be like down there.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Base Emitter posted:

Those prices are seriously out of whack. The tax sounds insane.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
My prices are high due to the state taxes and shopping at a small rural store that doesn't move much volume on the nicer stuff. I'm glad to have it at all because a lot of them have already gone out of business and the selection at the grocery stores is terrible. The old state stores did a lot of sales to restaurants and bars but now those places can deal directly with the distributors. Less business for the private stores and they've got a bunch of warehouse space they don't need but still have to pay for.

I grab the occasional cheaper bottle locally but anything nice I have to try to remember to pick up when I'm in the Seattle area.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

derp posted:

I got some Buffalo Trace, and it's pretty drat good for 20$. I think this could be my every day drinking whiskey.

I'm not a huge bourbon fan, but I do enjoy Buffalo Trace quite a bit. You really cant beat it at that price point, I don't think.

Anyways, I decided to grab a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15. I think I'm in love...

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Troll Bridgington posted:

I'm not a huge bourbon fan, but I do enjoy Buffalo Trace quite a bit. You really cant beat it at that price point, I don't think.

I like BT's bourbon. They are my favorite distillery. They make more brands of bourbon that i like than probably any 3 or 4 distilleries combined. I also like the fact that they keep trying to innovate. Their Experimental Collection is always fun to try out. There have been some good ones and some nasty ones, but the fact that they let us try them is just great.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 19, 2013

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

Just don't try the Wild Turkey: Rare Breed barrel strength stuff. It'll ruin you for life.

My bottle is empty :(

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
Speaking of Wild Turkey, has anyone seen the 101 proof rye in stores recently? Seems like they've switched to 81 proof permanently. The 101 rye was my go to spirit for years; at $19.99 for 750ml it was a fantastic deal, and it won a lot of accolades in blind tastings against much higher-priced ryes. I'm not nearly as much a fan of the 81.

Edit: Rare breer is always great though, that's one of my favorite bourbons at any price.

Edit 2: Their website seems to confirm the switch to 81-proof rye, but also has made me aware of a 12-year old, 101-proof expression. I've never seen that anywhere. Anyone have experience with it?

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 19, 2013

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Oakland Martini posted:

Edit 2: Their website seems to confirm the switch to 81-proof rye, but also has made me aware of a 12-year old, 101-proof expression. I've never seen that anywhere. Anyone have experience with it?

It's a very, very limited release that they've been doing for years. I've never once actually seen a bottle in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Oakland Martini posted:

Speaking of Wild Turkey, has anyone seen the 101 proof rye in stores recently? Seems like they've switched to 81 proof permanently. The 101 rye was my go to spirit for years; at $19.99 for 750ml it was a fantastic deal, and it won a lot of accolades in blind tastings against much higher-priced ryes. I'm not nearly as much a fan of the 81.

Edit: Rare breer is always great though, that's one of my favorite bourbons at any price.

The 101 has been pretty much gobbled up. I see the occasional "dusty" every now and then, but not often. I really think they ruined their rye when they reduced it to 81.

It is my understanding that the age statment (8 & 12) bourbon's are all for the overseas market, I could be wrong though. I have never seen one in the wild, and every shop I've asked about says their distributor doensn't carry it.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 21, 2013