Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Trudeau
Apr 4, 2009

There's a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime
Don't think this has been posted:

Wikipedia posted:

The Alaska boundary dispute was a territorial dispute between the United States and Canada (then a British Dominion with its foreign affairs controlled from London). It was resolved by arbitration in 1903. The dispute had been going on between the Russian and British Empires since 1821, and was inherited by the United States as a consequence of the Alaska Purchase in 1867. The final resolution favored the American position, and Canada did not get an all-Canada outlet from the Yukon gold fields to the sea. The disappointment and anger in Canada was directed less at the United States, and more at the British government for betraying Canadian interests in pursuit of a friendly relationship between Britain and the United States.

The lines are:
Green: British Columbian claim
Red: Canadian claim
Yellow: modern border
Blue: US claim

I don't think there's anything on the Alaska panhandle other than Hyder and bears, so I don't think it was too much of a loss for Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

tractor fanatic posted:

That map is basically what everyone in D&D wants with regard to gerrymandering: a computer generated map equalizing population.

Except that map is also gerrymandered. Just by an idiot.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In some ways yes, in other ways no, in some places yes, in other places no. There obviously wasn't a great deal of political freedom for any of the republics, but a lot of the administrative stuff was relatively hands off. And while places like Ukraine and Belarus were pretty tightly integrated, the central Asian republics were practically their own countries.

Interestingly, modern research from all the massive amounts of Ex-USSR administrative centres is still being searched through by historians and recently a lot of proof has come out that in quite a lot of negotiations the minor countries had more power then the USSR and regularly had the upper hand, even forcing the Russian premier to travel around regularly to listen to their demands.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

tractor fanatic posted:

That map is basically what everyone in D&D wants with regard to gerrymandering: a computer generated map equalizing population.

That's congressional districts though, not states.

Davincie posted:

Interestingly, modern research from all the massive amounts of Ex-USSR administrative centres is still being searched through by historians and recently a lot of proof has come out that in quite a lot of negotiations the minor countries had more power then the USSR and regularly had the upper hand, even forcing the Russian premier to travel around regularly to listen to their demands.

Are you talking about the relations between the Russia SFSR and the other SFSRs, or between the USSR and other members of the Warsaw Pact?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 15, 2013

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

The world weighted by alcohol consumption.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Red_Mage posted:

I'm guessing that's Nigeria in Africa, right?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ferrosol posted:

You mean this one?
That's the one, thanks.

Content, independence edition:

And a couple old classics:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 16, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Farecoal posted:

Are you talking about the relations between the Russia SFSR and the other SFSRs, or between the USSR and other members of the Warsaw Pact?

The relation between the main government administration located in Russia and the various SFSR's in what was not an a part of the Russian nation. The Uzbek SSR was mentioned particularly in the college as being an example of one wielding a surprising amount of power. If there is any interest I could try and find the what the book written about it was, as no doubt it would be clearer then my recollection of the relations between the various administrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I'd be interested, lately I've been curious how the internal gears of state power actually grind out policies.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not politically-loaded, but it's a map, and another way to draw the 50 states with equal populations.

Edit: Never mind.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 18, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Not politically-loaded, but it's a map, and another way to draw the 50 states with equal populations.

This was just posted on the page before last, and it is less politically loaded and more politically stupid beyond all belief.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Red_Mage posted:

Per capita or absolute consumption?

The world by the year of the first establishment of a McDonald's restaurant.

Administrative levels of the world's states.

And it is a sad fact that for some people, even this map is "politically loaded" as in "not true":

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

System Metternich posted:

Per capita or absolute consumption?
I think it's pretty obvious that it's absolute; per capita makes no sense on these maps, not to mention that the Chinese would have to be drinking about 3 liters of pure alcohol a day for it to be correct in that case.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Squalid posted:

I'd be interested, lately I've been curious how the internal gears of state power actually grind out policies.

Turns out it was mainly about the Warsaw Pact countries. Although her colleges did feature the SFSR's quite a lot, how often they appear in the book however I can't say. Also there's the fact that the book isn't actually out yet, so the content is bound to change from what she developed in her colleges with us.
http://www.amazon.ca/Warsaw-Pact-Reconsidered-Laurien-Crump/dp/0415690714

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Here's one that's politically loaded for other reasons:

(click for bigger)

The politics were related to getting there. Fortunately, there are currently no territorial claims under dispute.

Higher resolution image available here: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/mapcatalog/usgs/I703/150dpi.jpg

Ed: And for completeness' sake, here's what the far side of the Moon looks like:

(click for bigger)

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 16, 2013

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Generic term used for soft drinks in the US.

The South will rise again and put those soda and pop drinking assholes in their place.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I didn't know way-west Pennsylvania called it pop. So would those be Beer and Pop distributors instead of Beer and Soda distributors?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Snoggle posted:

The South will rise again and put those soda and pop drinking assholes in their place.

I like how the soda/pop thing stops right at the Michigan/Wisconsin border except one for Wisconsin county.

Also, I'm guessing the Keewenaw Peninsula (the northern tip of the Upper Peninsula) is purple because there's a family of 3 Southerners who moved there, making it a whole 5 people there.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Where does this large soda area between Memphis and St. Louis come from? It seems pretty out of place.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Snoggle posted:

I lived in deep purple Texas for several years and I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever use 'coke' as a generic term for soft drink.

sum fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 16, 2013

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Whenever I see those pop vs. soda maps, I wonder am I the only person in the world who always just uses the brand name of whatever drink I want?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Flobbster posted:

Whenever I see those pop vs. soda maps, I wonder am I the only person in the world who always just uses the brand name of whatever drink I want?
Do you never mention carbonated sugary drinks outside the context of asking for a specific variety?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Just remembered this:

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Strudel Man posted:

Do you never mention carbonated sugary drinks outside the context of asking for a specific variety?

I guess in those rare situations, I call them "soft drinks". Which isn't one of the three major options. I'm being oppressed!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Comically ambitious irredentism.

Greater Turkey:

Greatest Turkey:

This one might actually be a joke, I can't tell:

And apparently it's Constantinople, not Istanbul:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I guess now you know why a lot of western states don't want more government influence in their lives. :v:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Lord Hydronium posted:

Comically ambitious irredentism.
I love irredentist maps :allears:

e; also

Kainser fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 16, 2013

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Snoggle posted:

generic :: corny :: mentally submissive to major corporations

That actually looks about right.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
Well, the real solution to our territorial problems is simply to create new land.

All we need to do is lower the Mediterranean by a few hundred metres. But how?

Yes, it's Atlantropa, the obsessive vision of Herman Sorgel to cement European dominance against the hated yellow peril, provide full employment for generations, and secure vast quantities of hydroelectric power. The madcap scheme involved dams at Gibraltar (the main one), Istanbul, and Sicily, splitting the Mediterranean into two basins. He calculated that the new land would have a total area equivalent to a new Italy and Germany. A Jewish homeland was to be set up at the eastern end. Phase two was to create new African seas as shown above. Obviously the environmental and social impact would be... considerable. Over a 25-year period, Sorgel was completely unsuccessful in getting any traction at all on his project.

Further coverage at Strange Maps, Cabinet Magazine, Ptak Science Books, and Wikipedia.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lord Hydronium posted:

And apparently it's Constantinople, not Istanbul:

In Greek, yes, why not? I don't think there's any nationalism attached to using the Greek name for a city in Greek; you don't need to call things the way the natives call them (otherwise you'd be calling Japan "Nippon"), and they at least have "Istanbul" under "Constantinople" in parentheses.

If there's something nationalistic about that map it's that the European portion of Turkey's coloured differently.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Snoggle posted:

I'd like to point out that North Carolina doesn't use Coke, partially because that's where Pepsi is from.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

YF-23 posted:

In Greek, yes, why not? I don't think there's any nationalism attached to using the Greek name for a city in Greek; you don't need to call things the way the natives call them (otherwise you'd be calling Japan "Nippon"), and they at least have "Istanbul" under "Constantinople" in parentheses.

If there's something nationalistic about that map it's that the European portion of Turkey's coloured differently.

:ssh: It's a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsQrKZcYtqg

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

YF-23 posted:

I actually didn't realize that was the normal name in Greek.

There's some fun nationalism elsewhere in the map, too:

Macedonia the country isn't named, instead the name "Macedonia" is sitting conspicuously inside Greece.

Angiepants posted:

:ssh: It's a joke.
Well, it's that too, but I also didn't realize that use of "Constantinople" was normal in Greek.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

AlexG posted:

Yes, it's Atlantropa, the obsessive vision of Herman Sorgel to cement European dominance against the hated yellow peril, provide full employment for generations, and secure vast quantities of hydroelectric power. The madcap scheme involved dams at Gibraltar (the main one), Istanbul, and Sicily, splitting the Mediterranean into two basins. He calculated that the new land would have a total area equivalent to a new Italy and Germany. A Jewish homeland was to be set up at the eastern end. Phase two was to create new African seas as shown above. Obviously the environmental and social impact would be... considerable. Over a 25-year period, Sorgel was completely unsuccessful in getting any traction at all on his project.

Further coverage at Strange Maps, Cabinet Magazine, Ptak Science Books, and Wikipedia.

That's pretty cool. Draining the Mediterranean was mentioned in The Man in the High Castle but I didn't realize anyone had seriously proposed doing it with current technology.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Lord Hydronium posted:

There's some fun nationalism elsewhere in the map, too:

Macedonia the country isn't named, instead the name "Macedonia" is sitting conspicuously inside Greece.

Now that's more like it. If I wanted to make excuses I'd say that the country's name is in limbo (and inside Greece "Macedonia" is used exclusively to refer to Greek Macedonia in any modern context), but I won't. I like "New Yugoslavia" too. Interesting fact, a summer or two ago I walked outside of a toy store, and they had a European map on display. It still had the Serbia/Montenegro Yugoslavia on it.

:barf:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strudel Man posted:

Personally, I find the American interest in the pop/soda/coke discussion rather bemusing because I can't think of a circumstance in which you'd mention carbonated sugary drinks outside the context of asking for a specific variety.

Anyway,

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Red_Mage posted:

Love how Mexico, stays roughly the same.

Speaking of which, the map of the metro network: http://www.metro.df.gob.mx/imagenes/red/redinternet.pdf

Map of New Spain.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Reveilled posted:

Personally, I find the American interest in the pop/soda/coke discussion rather bemusing because I can't think of a circumstance in which you'd mention carbonated sugary drinks outside the context of asking for a specific variety.

Possibly "I don't let my kids drink soda"?

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Reveilled posted:

Lots of/most fast food chains in America have self-serve soft drinks, so that probably has something to do with it.