Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Glue? People aren't putting glue onto perches and hoping a bird lands there, are they?
I assume he was joking, but at this point it's clear people will do anything "to get the shot".

Yesterday I ran across a hawk owl who's location has been advertised in mailing lists. When I got out of the car to setup he actually flew in closer (to the point I had to back up a bit). He's obviously been baited heavily. People don't give a crap about the impact they have on the wildlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
New lens, have a duck.

Female Wigeon by jankyangles, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
No new lens, but have a duck anyway.

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 2 Gould's Lagoon 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

and some other watery birds. Blinds set up at sanctuaries are fine things.

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 2 Gould's Lagoon 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 2 Gould's Lagoon 4 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 2 Gould's Lagoon 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Continuing the trend of 'ducks are rad'

Mallard Take Off by jankyangles, on Flickr

Hiked 3 miles to a reported good birding area only to find that it had recently been fenced off. :argh: Went to the park instead.

small-0973 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Gila Woodpecker by jankyangles, on Flickr

Easily my most favorite shot of the day:

Who are you and why are you here? by jankyangles, on Flickr

I am the master of ruining shots because of harsh lighting :v:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 15, 2013

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Have two ducks.

ducks by philip painter, on Flickr

red bellied woodpecker by philip painter, on Flickr

Cross post, but I'm so geeked about seeing one.

belted kingfisher by philip painter, on Flickr

It's still grey and cold as gently caress here. :smith:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

smallmouth posted:

Cross post, but I'm so geeked about seeing one.

belted kingfisher by philip painter, on Flickr

It's still grey and cold as gently caress here. :smith:

So insanely jealous of this.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Easily my most favorite shot of the day:

Who are you and why are you here? by jankyangles, on Flickr

The title of this, or any House Sparrow shot should be "Drop some crumbs motherfucker!"

I went to look for a Hoary Redpoll that had been reported a couple miles away from my work, but I didn't have my camera. Of course a group of Common Redpoll's just hung out on the ground 25ft away from me for two minutes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Hiked 3 miles to a reported good birding area only to find that it had recently been fenced off. :argh: Went to the park instead.
Too many mice-bait traps around?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Step up your game with some overly-aggressive cropping and a touch of sensor noise.

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 3 Shag Bay 3 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 117 Around Hobart Pt 3 Shag Bay 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

Any bird named "dusky" is an absolute bastard to photograph - it's code for "you cannot see that dark eye against the dark head feathers, especially with a bright background". I've run into this with Dusky Robins and Dusky Woodswallows, I've yet to see a Dusky Moorhen but it's probably true for them, too. I can only assume that if I ever see a Sooty Shearwater I should just toss my camera into the sea.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ExecuDork posted:

Too many mice-bait traps around?
The city of Phoenix has pretty much destroyed the Rio Salado river so the past few years they have been pretty aggressive with rehabilitation. While I'm happy they're doing it I'm still going to whine. :P

ExecuDork posted:

Step up your game with some overly-aggressive cropping and a touch of sensor noise.
I could probably count the number of images I have in my portfolio that are standard print ratios on one hand. It's a terrible habit of mine and I really should knock it off. :eng99:

Edit: Oh, you mean like this. :v:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 16, 2013

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I posted these in critterquest last night, I hope it's alright to re-post them here.

I got a 70-300mm yesterday, and the very first thing I found to shoot with it was birds! These first ones aren't great - not by a long shot, because my ISO was cranked too high and I was going OH GOD GET BIRD PICTURE and then he spooked and flew away. I wish I knew what he was - any try of IDing him I've made just leads to confusion because he looks similar to several species we have around here (Western NC).

Random Raptor by eachus, on Flickr

Thankfully, not 10 minutes later I found some much more willing subjects.

Wild Turkeys by eachus, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Looks like a juvenile Cooper's hawk maybe

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Hell yeah "wild" turkeys.

wild turkey by philip painter, on Flickr

female cardinale by philip painter, on Flickr

I think these guys regretted coming to MI so early.

bluebird by philip painter, on Flickr

duck by philip painter, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

smallmouth posted:

female cardinale by philip painter, on Flickr

I think these guys regretted coming to MI so early.

:3: Cardinals tend to dig in and tough the winter out instead of migrate. I always keep a feeder filled with black oil sunflower seeds for my cardinals.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

:3: Cardinals tend to dig in and tough the winter out instead of migrate. I always keep a feeder filled with black oil sunflower seeds for my cardinals.

Yeah, sorry, I meant the bluebird below it.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

I posted these in critterquest last night, I hope it's alright to re-post them here.

I got a 70-300mm yesterday, and the very first thing I found to shoot with it was birds! These first ones aren't great - not by a long shot, because my ISO was cranked too high and I was going OH GOD GET BIRD PICTURE and then he spooked and flew away. I wish I knew what he was - any try of IDing him I've made just leads to confusion because he looks similar to several species we have around here (Western NC).

Random Raptor by eachus, on Flickr

Red-Shouldered Hawk.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Oh god I'm terrible at birds:

No idea:

Now these are vultures right :)

Albatross?

For a Norwegian these birds in Mexico where pretty fun to photograph, not very shy either.
A few of the vultures was about to peck out my eyes as they flew over it seemed :)

Critique most welcome!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not sure what the wader is. The vulture is specially a Turkey Vulture. The final bird is a pelican.

And yes, Americans have it easy with their bold wildlife.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Greybone posted:

No idea:

Looks like some kind of sandpiper.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Greybone posted:

No idea:

Looks like a Willet (kind of sandpiper). They are being split into Eastern and Western but I couldn't tell you how to diagnose that. They have a fairly bold black-and white pattern on their wings when they fly, but otherwise kind of a big bland chunky shorebird.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Greybone posted:

Critique most welcome!

Good shots, back off the shadows a touch in post to bring out their details

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Tri-color Heron by torgeaux, on Flickr

Matt's Woodpecker by torgeaux, on Flickr

Bird by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 16, 2013

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Greybone posted:

No idea:

Now these are vultures right :)

Albatross?

For a Norwegian these birds in Mexico where pretty fun to photograph, not very shy either.
A few of the vultures was about to peck out my eyes as they flew over it seemed :)

Critique most welcome!

Last one is some kind of pelican, guessing brown but we don't get them here.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Saw a bald eagle today. Sadly it never got really close, this was from a third of a mile away, roughly.

P2160617.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Everything else seemed pretty run of the mallard.

P2160917.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P2160787.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P2160294.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Have to say that my old k-mount glass is only "ok". The teleconverter I was using is particularly lovely though, although it was fun having 1200mm of 35mm equivalent lens in my hand.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Really lovely day at a bird preserve the other day. Parents encouraging their lovely kids to throw garbage and rocks at the birds, the water level was low so it was basically a huge mud pit, watched one woman unleash her dog so it could chase geese and the cherry on top was rounding a corner to find a homeless person taking a poo poo in the trail. Anyways, other than the hummingbird these are all migratory in AZ so all very new to me.

northern shoveler by jankyangles, on Flickr

northern pintail duck by jankyangles, on Flickr

green winged teal by jankyangles, on Flickr

hummingbird (anna's?) by jankyangles, on Flickr

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

IMG_1455.jpg by jmorris4371, on Flickr

Just your run o' the mill swan.

jtd123
Oct 27, 2005
Saw this hawk yesterday in York County, Pennsylvania. I think it's either a Broad-winged Hawk or a Red-tailed Hawk, but I'd appreciate if someone could confirm. According to WhatBird, the Broad-winged is more of a summer visitor, whereas the Red-tailed is year-round.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Really lovely day at a bird preserve the other day. Parents encouraging their lovely kids to throw garbage and rocks at the birds, the water level was low so it was basically a huge mud pit, watched one woman unleash her dog so it could chase geese and the cherry on top was rounding a corner to find a homeless person taking a poo poo in the trail. Anyways, other than the hummingbird these are all migratory in AZ so all very new to me.
Great pictures, but holy hell that's horrible what you witnessed. I would have torn into that woman with the dog. How ignorant do you have to be?

I spent the day in a ditch yesterday photographing one of my great grays hunting. He only plunged 3 times over a 4 hour period, and of those 3 times this is all I could get. :(

I do have some rants of my own though...

As I mentioned, I was dug into the ditch near where this guy was hunting. It's a ditch right on the side of a road, and there's a vehicle going by maybe once every few minutes. A few times someone would stop right by me in the ditch, roll down their window, and snap a shot of the owl with their cell phone. The poor owl doesn't deal with those situations very well and the person is getting a lovely little cell phone picture of a dark blob in a tree. It should be obvious that I'm trying my best to be unobtrusive to the owl, and yet these people just happily stop their vehicle right next to me and think nothing of it. :argh:

Rant #2

While in the ditch I heard another car pull over on the other side of the road near where I had parked. I could hear gear being setup so I figured some other photographers where coming to take a picture. I decided to take a break and go have a chat with them. It turned out it was some local guy who was driving two birder friends from Oregon around. They setup their scope, had a look, and five minutes later drove off to look for a hawk owl. What's the point in coming thousands of kilometres on a birding trip only to spend a few minutes looking through a scope at a great gray in a tree? I couldn't believe it. I don't think I'll ever understand birders. A few minutes later the owl plunged in the snow and I caught the shots above. :smug:

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

InternetJunky posted:

I spent the day in a ditch yesterday photographing one of my great grays hunting. He only plunged 3 times over a 4 hour period, and of those 3 times this is all I could get. :(

Completely worth it, I'd say. Are they diurnal?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

smallmouth posted:

Are they diurnal?
Yes. I'm pretty lucky to have 3 diurnal owl species near me (hawk owl, great gray, and snowy). That said, on the colder days you will see all the owls out hunting during the day since they need so much energy to stay warm and alive.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

jtd123 posted:

Saw this hawk yesterday in York County, Pennsylvania.
These are awesome. I dug around in GIS but the differences in hawks are so small I can't help. :(

InternetJunky posted:

Great pictures, but holy hell that's horrible what you witnessed. I would have torn into that woman with the dog. How ignorant do you have to be?
Thanks! To be honest though I was blown away. I've seen more human decency at a run down Wal-Mart.

InternetJunky posted:

this is all I could get. :(
:lol::lol:

These own.

InternetJunky posted:

As I mentioned, I was dug into the ditch near where this guy was hunting. It's a ditch right on the side of a road, and there's a vehicle going by maybe once every few minutes. A few times someone would stop right by me in the ditch, roll down their window, and snap a shot of the owl with their cell phone. The poor owl doesn't deal with those situations very well and the person is getting a lovely little cell phone picture of a dark blob in a tree. It should be obvious that I'm trying my best to be unobtrusive to the owl, and yet these people just happily stop their vehicle right next to me and think nothing of it. :argh:

Rant #2

While in the ditch I heard another car pull over on the other side of the road near where I had parked. I could hear gear being setup so I figured some other photographers where coming to take a picture. I decided to take a break and go have a chat with them. It turned out it was some local guy who was driving two birder friends from Oregon around. They setup their scope, had a look, and five minutes later drove off to look for a hawk owl. What's the point in coming thousands of kilometres on a birding trip only to spend a few minutes looking through a scope at a great gray in a tree? I couldn't believe it. I don't think I'll ever understand birders. A few minutes later the owl plunged in the snow and I caught the shots above. :smug:
Haha I ran into both of these at the bird preserve. Finally find a nice out of the way patch of beach that isn't swarming with bees and a group of people run in, talking loudly trying to get pictures of sandpipers with their cell phones at 20 meters. Birders are strange. They literally wander around with a clipboard and checklist. "Yup, saw that one. BINGO. Ok hon, lets go." :psyduck:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

"Yup, saw that one. BINGO. Ok hon, lets go." :psyduck:
Pokemon for adults?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

InternetJunky posted:

Rant #2

Birders can be weird. But hey, at least that was 4 minutes and 59 seconds longer than it took to ID the bird!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

You have no idea how little sympathy I have for your "all you could get" mentality ;)

InternetJunky posted:

I'll admit, the idea of showing up for five minutes of Great-Gray watching is inconceivable to me, but I can understand the "twitching" mentality to an extent. Sometimes you just want to see something, enjoy it for a few minutes, and move on to the next amazing creature. Yes, they just drove hours to get up there, but with your short winter days they may be chasing all three owls you mentioned and have to get a quick move-on to the next location. For every birder that shows up, checks a couple species off their day/year/county/state/life list, there's also one spending hours sorting through every gull or sandpiper on the beach looking for that one rarity that took a wrong turn on its exit from Siberia and ended up in North America. You also get a bit calloused to certain birds people would consider "good." When I'm carrying my camera or spotting scope I constantly have people telling me about the Bald Eagle or Great Blue Heron around the next bend. I always listen and thank them for the info, but it's not uncommon for me to see dozens of either species in day so unless I can get a great action shot of one, I usually don't even bother.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

InternetJunky posted:

What's the point in coming thousands of kilometres on a birding trip only to spend a few minutes looking through a scope at a great gray in a tree? I couldn't believe it. I don't think I'll ever understand birders.

Because it's cold? The guy hiding in a ditch in the snow for 4 hours calls other people crazy? Nice pics though!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

It was found that people brave the crowds and queues to look at the Mona Lisa for an average of fiften seconds. People want constant hits, not slow contemplation.

As for Rant #1, I've had the same. Lugged my popup bird hide for a mile, only to find another phitographer decides he wants to stand right next to it. At least the "What's that? Go have a look" ones are doing it out of naive curiousity.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

It was found that people brave the crowds and queues to look at the Mona Lisa for an average of fiften seconds. People want constant hits, not slow contemplation.
Yeah, but Mona Lisa isn't going to plunge off her perch face first into the snow, wiggle around a bit while she adjusts the vole she just caught through sound alone, bend her head back under the snow to kill the vole, gobble the vole whole, then explode back out of the snow to return to her perch.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Yes, but the owl will only do that once in ages, and at the moment you look away. Accept you'll miss it anywsy and move on.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Bah. I followed an Osprey the other day for an hour hoping it would land or dive. Probably a good thing there wasn't a body of water in the way or I would have fallen in. :v:

Edit: Here's an out of focus shot to get things rolling again here in the bird thread.

scratch by jankyangles, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 18, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Baby Emperor Penguins are adorable. So adorable, I'll overlook the fact they've probably cut together seperate events to get that happy ending for that anamorphised chick that really ended up with a baby-stealing non-mother.

Emperors have become a bit of a well worn subject, but the BBC's Penguins: Spy in the huddle is still top television (even if the anamorphism levels could kill a goat at fifty paces)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

I went to a gannet colony the other day.

There were many.