Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ahh. Yeah, I should have clarified that I'm not suggesting it's not lacking bugs, just that I haven't experienced any gamebreakers. Always curious to hear others' experiences :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

My keyboard and trackpad developed a period of unresponsiveness in 10.8.2. Sometimes after not being used for a while (like using an external mouse and keyboard) they won't register anything for a few seconds. The solution I found online (deleting some plists and rebooting) didn't help, and the problem is somewhat difficult to reproduce. Hoping 10.8.3 helps with that.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Hopefully the 10.8.3 comes with an update to iTunes that does not change songs upon loading a playlist, allows me to queue an album after the current album, and miraculously fixes the ID3 editor that sporadically splits one song of an album off from the rest for NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

miraculously fixes the ID3 editor that sporadically splits one song of an album off from the rest for NO REASON WHATSOEVER.
Had this happen to me for the first time the other night on 2 different albums, both purchased a long time ago through iTunes.

It was very confusing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How is Pages, overall? It it worth buying over MS Word?

Just personal use, and I only have Macs.

Also, I take it I have to buy a copy for OSX and an additional copy for iOS?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I prefer Pages to Word, and only use Word if I'm typing a document that needs its equation editor.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Not sure what you're looking for, but iA Writer is pretty great. Probably not the best for print, but it's great otherwise.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
I'm looking for a music player where I can just grab a bunch of files and drop it onto the player and not have to add music to a library ala itunes. I used Winamp in Windows but I found that Winamp Mac is completely different. Suggestions?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
VLC

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
cog ?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

vikingstrike posted:

The second issue sounds like your battery died and the machine was restoring its last state.

Battery is not dead. In fact, I usually leave it plugged in at night.

Unplugging it sometimes causes the machine to wake from sleep, even if it's closed.

Thoom posted:

Is opening/closing apps triggering a switch of graphics cards? If so, you can force it to stick with one or the other using gfxCardStatus.

Edit: By "base model" did you mean 13"? Because if so, nevermind.

I'm sorry, base model 15".

Thanks for the gfxCardStatus suggestion. Hopefully this helps.

I'd rather not have to manage this manually though. I can't believe that the discrete card is so different from the integrated. Discrete graphics are really, really blue. It's a massive shift in hue.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
So I have this weird issue where when I move a file from a folder to my Desktop, it automatically goes all the way up in the top left corner, practically hidden. I have to drag each file down to where I want it.. just annoying when I'm moving a lot of files around.

Is there any way to alleviate or reset this?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PRADA SLUT posted:

Great. Simpler, faster, nicer. I'd actually say it's my preferred word processor on any platform. Only problem is (of course) Word files won't display perfectly.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

neck face posted:

Whoops!

While I'm here, every single time I start iTunes I get this:

It's been happening for a good long while now and it's pretty annoying when I plug my iPhone in and that stupid message pops up over everything.
I've tried a few of the suggestions I found by Googling around, such as removing paired remotes & restarting but nothing seems to solve it.

Anyone else dealt with this?

My guess is that the code signature on iTunes.app is broken for some reason, you need to reinstall it. Move iTunes.app aside, download iTunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and reinstall it.

For fun you can run "codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app" to verify if that's really the issue.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's an 11th seed of 10.8.3 for developers today.

Apple's just loving with us now.
Spinal Tap fans/trolls on the dev team obviously.

Martytoof posted:

Ahh. Yeah, I should have clarified that I'm not suggesting it's not lacking bugs, just that I haven't experienced any gamebreakers. Always curious to hear others' experiences :D
I can't make a super universal disk that can boot everything :saddowns: (...not that I'll run into the need considering I don't plan on getting any 2012 Macs any time soon :v:). Well Safari seems really randomly buggy and crashy these days, I think that's the biggest thing that messes with me since I can't think of anything else right now. I don't know if it's Safari by itself or if some extensions are screwing it up, but it's pretty annoying.

PRADA SLUT posted:

For personal use it should be fine (barring some specific use case that might not fit?), and like the others I prefer it over Word. Also yes on Mac and iOS having separate licenses/apps. On the plus side it's not like they're all that expensive even together.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Martytoof posted:

I really have to give kudos to apple here. Even at 8.2 ML is generally pretty solid. It took until 5.6 of Leopard to really bunker it down and solve some of the major issues.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Experto Crede posted:

I really have to give kudos to apple here. Even at 8.2 ML is generally pretty solid. It took until 5.6 of Leopard to really bunker it down and solve some of the major issues.

I still get totally bugged out input fields in Safari, weird glitches when waking from sleep where the screen won't refresh except wherever you've moused over (hard to describe, I'll get a video if I can), a problem where if you have more than one window open for an app but one of them is full screened the rest disappear after waking from sleep, and all kinds of annoying minor bugs. There's still plenty to be fixed.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

wheez the roux posted:

I still get totally bugged out input fields in Safari, weird glitches when waking from sleep where the screen won't refresh except wherever you've moused over (hard to describe, I'll get a video if I can), a problem where if you have more than one window open for an app but one of them is full screened the rest disappear after waking from sleep, and all kinds of annoying minor bugs. There's still plenty to be fixed.

Oh yeah, not saying 8.2 is perfect, but Leopard had major usability issues for a worryingly long time. I just think apple seem to be a lot better these days at getting OS stability nailed down within a small number of point releases. I think part of it is the changes they made to the kernel during 10.5-10.6 to make the little low function tweaks some problems need much easier.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

Battery is not dead. In fact, I usually leave it plugged in at night.

Unplugging it sometimes causes the machine to wake from sleep, even if it's closed.
Sounds like it may be worth resetting the SMC.

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

chimz posted:

My guess is that the code signature on iTunes.app is broken for some reason, you need to reinstall it. Move iTunes.app aside, download iTunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and reinstall it.

For fun you can run "codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app" to verify if that's really the issue.

It looks like this was the problem! I ended up uninstalling iTunes (much more of a pain in the arse than I figured it would be) and re-installing it and it seems to be working perfectly now!

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

Office 2011 on a Mac is pretty crippled if you need to do anything remotely complex. If it's just simple word processing, maybe Google Drive? It's free.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Not sure what you're looking for, but iA Writer is pretty great. Probably not the best for print, but it's great otherwise.

I personally love iA Writer, but Mou is also pretty good. It's preview window is way, way better.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

wheez the roux posted:

The display drivers are still pretty bad. It looks like nVidia is working directly with them now on the drivers and its been a bit of a rocky transition. However good news is that ML has added support for a shitload of ATI and nVidia chipsets and performance in 10.8.3 is greatly improved.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I have a dumb question -

I have an older MacBook that cannot be updated past 10.6.8...but I've noticed a few apps on sale in the Mac AppStore, but I can't buy them because they're not compatible with the current version of OSX.

I know when I see things on sale in the iOS AppStore for iPad, I can buy it through iTunes on my computer (I don't currently have an iPad, but I did previously...so I try to keep up on some stuff).

Is there a way I can do something similar with OSX?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Ozmodiar posted:

I have a dumb question -

I have an older MacBook that cannot be updated past 10.6.8...but I've noticed a few apps on sale in the Mac AppStore, but I can't buy them because they're not compatible with the current version of OSX.

You mean they're incompatible with your version, not the current version (10.8), I suppose.

Ozmodiar posted:

I know when I see things on sale in the iOS AppStore for iPad, I can buy it through iTunes on my computer (I don't currently have an iPad, but I did previously...so I try to keep up on some stuff).

Is there a way I can do something similar with OSX?

This is not dumb, but cringe-inducing for two reasons:

1. Why would you want to be able to buy software you can't use?
2. If you still want to get the software, why don't you just buy something that can run a later version of OS X? Mactracker tells me that the latest MacBook that can't run Lion is from pre-late 2006 - that's not an "older MacBook", that's the oldest MacBook, and what Apple considers "Vintage".

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

flavor posted:

Before I got an iPad, I kept an eye out for 99¢ sales and had a large library of stuff to check out once I finally got one. That kind of price is much rarer on Mac App Store, though.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

2) The machine frequently takes ages to wake up. Sometimes the screen has a grey overlay with a progress bar at the bottom. After that fills up, the screen is back to normal but the machine is completely unresponsive. It sometimes takes upwards of 2 minutes to wake from sleep. I could boot it faster than that.

I can only meekly say that I started having that issue a few months ago on my standard MBPs also and that it went away a while ago - not sure what caused it to go away again, but I'm good about updating everything.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

Before I got an iPad, I kept an eye out for 99¢ sales and had a large library of stuff to check out once I finally got one. That kind of price is much rarer on Mac App Store, though.

Right. I'm just thinking that either someone has money, or they don't. If money is not an issue, I'd buy the computer first and then get the apps (because having it tends to give me a better feel for what I need). If money is an issue, I'd still worry about buying the computer first, because who knows, I may otherwise have bought many apps I don't need.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

dabre_aiamim posted:

...and I use both. I've deleted the systemwide flash plugin and use Safari for the majority of my basic browsing, and Chrome for watching youtube/flash games/etc.

This is my workflow too. It works pretty well. I have Safari on a Global hotkey (Opt-Command-S) with Chrome on (Opt-Command-C). I load both at login and switch between them as needed. The hotkeys are configured in Alfred.

My only nitpick with Chrome is that it isn't 64 bit, but that's really being anal. :)

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 16, 2013

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

neck face posted:

Whoops!

While I'm here, every single time I start iTunes I get this:

It's been happening for a good long while now and it's pretty annoying when I plug my iPhone in and that stupid message pops up over everything.
I've tried a few of the suggestions I found by Googling around, such as removing paired remotes & restarting but nothing seems to solve it.

Anyone else dealt with this?

I had exactly the same issue. This link will help.

http://superuser.com/questions/42776/itunes-app-to-accept-incoming-network-connections

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
So, I have a stupid question -

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz Intel i7 with 8GB RAM and 2 solid state drives as well as 2 graphics cards - AMD Radeon HD 6750M and the built in Intel HD Graphics 3000, as well as 2 solid state drives.

I got it used and somebody else had done most of these upgrades for me. When I first got it, it was fast as poo poo. Lately, when playing games, I've noticed a serious slowdown in performance that does not seem to improve by much when I lower the graphics settings. I use OnyX pretty regularly to keep things tidy and have at least 30% available space on both drives. I am not such a computer guy anymore ( I used to play a lot more games in high school and grew out of it) so I am kind of confused as to how my computer has gotten noticeably slower over time. My battery life has certainly decreased, but that is to be expected. I've also noticed it gets much hotter than it used to and my fan runs quite loudly, even if I am not using anything very graphics intensive.

Any tips on how to improve my performance? Sorry if this is a stupid question...it might belong in Mac Software but I figured the issue might have a software fix but it is possible it is fundamentally hardware related.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

pipes! posted:

Office 2011 on a Mac is pretty crippled if you need to do anything remotely complex. If it's just simple word processing, maybe Google Drive? It's free.

I personally love iA Writer, but Mou is also pretty good. It's preview window is way, way better.

Since we've come back round to word processor discussion, is scrivener still updated these days? I seem to recall people using it to write their grad school work a decade ago, but the preferred combo these days seems to be a messy combination of endnotes and word. I'm doing postgrad work in the social sciences and haven't met anybody yet who knows how to do more heavy duty word processing without making everything messy (sigh, uk higher education). I had to help edit some papers for somebody who insisted on using pages recently :psyduck:. (not hating on pages it's just really not set up for that sort of thing).

Any advice re: bibliographic software also welcome.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Scrivener was part of the latest MacHeist bundle, so I think it's still being updated.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'm in grad school and just use Latex to manage everything, but this is probably overkill if you don't need to type math. I love it though and works well for me.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Great Enoch posted:

Since we've come back round to word processor discussion, is scrivener still updated these days? I seem to recall people using it to write their grad school work a decade ago, but the preferred combo these days seems to be a messy combination of endnotes and word. I'm doing postgrad work in the social sciences and haven't met anybody yet who knows how to do more heavy duty word processing without making everything messy (sigh, uk higher education). I had to help edit some papers for somebody who insisted on using pages recently :psyduck:. (not hating on pages it's just really not set up for that sort of thing).

Any advice re: bibliographic software also welcome.

Scrivener is very much alive and in use in my academic circles. For citation, many of my colleagues use Zotero; I prefer Mekentosj Papers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

So, I have a stupid question -

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.2Ghz Intel i7 with 8GB RAM and 2 solid state drives as well as 2 graphics cards - AMD Radeon HD 6750M and the built in Intel HD Graphics 3000, as well as 2 solid state drives.

I got it used and somebody else had done most of these upgrades for me. When I first got it, it was fast as poo poo. Lately, when playing games, I've noticed a serious slowdown in performance that does not seem to improve by much when I lower the graphics settings. I use OnyX pretty regularly to keep things tidy and have at least 30% available space on both drives. I am not such a computer guy anymore ( I used to play a lot more games in high school and grew out of it) so I am kind of confused as to how my computer has gotten noticeably slower over time. My battery life has certainly decreased, but that is to be expected. I've also noticed it gets much hotter than it used to and my fan runs quite loudly, even if I am not using anything very graphics intensive.

Any tips on how to improve my performance? Sorry if this is a stupid question...it might belong in Mac Software but I figured the issue might have a software fix but it is possible it is fundamentally hardware related.
My initial thought is that some process is sucking up CPU time, which would reduce your battery life, make things hotter/run the fan faster, and reduce performance of other things, such as games. Open up Activity Monitor in Utilities, in the drop down in the upper right of the window select All Processes, then click the CPU header to sort by CPU usage. If there's some runaway process causing your problems it should show up right there.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

flavor posted:

You mean they're incompatible with your version, not the current version (10.8), I suppose.

This is not dumb, but cringe-inducing for two reasons:

Because, This:

cbirdsong posted:

Indeed. It's not often that I see something come up, but there have been a couple of things. Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do?

flavor posted:

2. If you still want to get the software, why don't you just buy something that can run a later version of OS X? Mactracker tells me that the latest MacBook that can't run Lion is from pre-late 2006 - that's not an "older MacBook", that's the oldest MacBook, and what Apple considers "Vintage".

Sounds about right. MacBook Pro 1,1 over here. I got it from my future brother-in-law when he got the rMBP. Perhaps even more cringe inducing is that my fiancee is the primary user of this computer because it's light years better than her MacMini that is a year or two older than this thing and wasn't updated past 10.4 or 10.5 (I can't remember which).

I have a Win7 PC has my primary computer...but thanks to our iPhones, iPads, and Nexus 7...I basically just use it as a NAS/machine to download stuff. We play everything through PlayOn, or TVersity, (I'd love suggestions on anything that might work better. Both PlayOn and TVersity have their quirks...I've heard good things about Plex?) or just use Netflix on the PS3/AppleTV. I'm hoping to purchase an Air or rMPB later this year (something we can both use, mostly for casual web-browsing while sitting on the couch, since we're rarely at our desks anymore)...but I'm kinda busy paying for a wedding right now so I don't have the funds to spare until after August.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

If it's a second gen ATV then jailbreak it and throw xbmc on it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How do I turn of autocorrect?

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

How do I turn of autocorrect?

System Preferences > Language & Text > Text > Correct Spelling automatically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

japtor posted:

My initial thought is that some process is sucking up CPU time, which would reduce your battery life, make things hotter/run the fan faster, and reduce performance of other things, such as games. Open up Activity Monitor in Utilities, in the drop down in the upper right of the window select All Processes, then click the CPU header to sort by CPU usage. If there's some runaway process causing your problems it should show up right there.

Found it!! It was Folding at Home... I had totally forgotten that I had ever installed it. Thanks!

edit: the second I quit FAH my fan began to slow down. Brilliant.