Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Oh my god am I late to the Aracari love? He looks so colourful and grumpy oh my god the birdshop near me has a back lined with cages of toucans and you just made it even more difficult for me to resist keeping one and snuggling his giant beak. :3:

Does he make the ridiculous toucan HONK HONK sound? Because that sound is adorable.

:3: Better late than never! He's a lot of fun, and he makes more of a beep beep than a honk honk. Perhaps the most ridiculous thing he does is cleaning his beak. He dips it in a little water then rubs it furiously on the various perches. It's hilarious to watch.

He has gotten a lot stronger now that he's in our comically large cage. He can fly back and forth, and we see him gaining dexterity. This weekend we're going to get him out for breakfast playtime with a couple of important changes. A towel on the table so he can hop around, and we're going to walk him around in our hand and show him the windows and walls are solid, and that chairs are good perches. We also need to get him a sleep cage in another room. Right now he's in the main activity room which means at Mindo's bed time we have to turn the lights down.

I would be wary of those toucans. The toco's are in a depressingly small cage. :( It doesn't look like they can move at all. You would need to inspect their diet several days in a row and make sure they aren't being fed iron-rich foods. Make surprise "I'm saving up / thinking about it" visits and go look at their food dishes. They are GORGEOUS in person, it's hard to imagine the colors over the internet being that brilliant (or more) in person, but they are.

http://2candoit.us/Aracari%20Food%20Guide.pdf

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Feeling all full of Pookie love right now.

She is such a sweet pea. She normally gets a little detached around 8 o'clock and just makes contact calls (kisses/footie peeps) from the far end of the room until bedtime, but today I mimed head tickles at her from 15 feet away and she knew what I meant and so trundled down the dining-room table to me until she got close enough to get a great many head snuggles and kisses. She also flew to me every time I left the room to do stuff because dammit, she hates to miss anything happening. Seriously, the girl is crazy nosy about stuff happening.

Parrots are awesome, wonderful, hilarious and sweet as all feck.

Love my Poo :3:

Munchee
Jun 7, 2006
EAT BEES
PJ, His Derpness, with a special video for Valentine's Day that's sure to make all the lady tiels swoon.

http://youtu.be/J9xf5E1ITdc

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

He's so confused and so manly.

Confumanly.

Edit: Dem cheeks are so foofy :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pookah posted:

Love my Poo :3:

I love your... Pookie too and want to roll her saucers and give her tea. She sounds so sweet. :3:

Munchee posted:

PJ, His Derpness, with a special video for Valentine's Day that's sure to make all the lady tiels swoon.

Steve would never let me do this, he'd hiss and bash/bite my fingers if I tried. I'll show him this video tomorrow too while telling him how awesome PJ is, he never sings so maybe some rivalry will help.

Speaking of Mr Pending:

He has a habit now of flying over and sitting on your knee. He hardly ever goes to his old shelf spot anymore-it's either on the computer monitor looking out of the window during the day, or on your knee/closest spot otherwise. He'll also hang out on the chairs tucked under the table in the main room-more than once I've not been able to locate him, called him though it rarely does anything, and discovered him watching me from under the table.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

It might be Valentine's Day but it's also Charlie the Senegal Parrot's hatch day! The little guy is now 2 years old. :yaycloud:

My Senegal is 12 and he is my lovey buddy. He has adjusted well after the trip and is back to his cuddly self.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Happy hatch day Charlie! It was our 1yr anniversary with Ritz a couple days ago.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Happy Valentines to all our feathered buddies!
Birdie dinners are so much cuter on Valentine's Day

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

Munchee posted:

This made me want to take a video of Bart!

http://youtu.be/yFTRjrAcEt4
Its not really singing, more like.. one note over and over and over and I'm going to strangle you bird. He does nicer songs sometimes :(

Makes up for it by ULTRA COCKATIEL CUDDLEBUG
http://youtu.be/IHd2JGj2YMs
Curious if you guys have tiels like this too. Hes also dumb as a rock (hes on my keyboard tray right now and he started walking towards the back of it..and I heard a thunk! and...well, he walked right off the keyboard tray and fell. Good job Bart. Youre stupid. I love you. And I like to embarrass you by fulling all your feathers back and show off that naked neck.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 15, 2013

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

H110Hawk posted:

:3: Better late than never! He's a lot of fun, and he makes more of a beep beep than a honk honk. Perhaps the most ridiculous thing he does is cleaning his beak. He dips it in a little water then rubs it furiously on the various perches. It's hilarious to watch.

He has gotten a lot stronger now that he's in our comically large cage. He can fly back and forth, and we see him gaining dexterity. This weekend we're going to get him out for breakfast playtime with a couple of important changes. A towel on the table so he can hop around, and we're going to walk him around in our hand and show him the windows and walls are solid, and that chairs are good perches. We also need to get him a sleep cage in another room. Right now he's in the main activity room which means at Mindo's bed time we have to turn the lights down.

I would be wary of those toucans. The toco's are in a depressingly small cage. :( It doesn't look like they can move at all. You would need to inspect their diet several days in a row and make sure they aren't being fed iron-rich foods. Make surprise "I'm saving up / thinking about it" visits and go look at their food dishes. They are GORGEOUS in person, it's hard to imagine the colors over the internet being that brilliant (or more) in person, but they are.

http://2candoit.us/Aracari%20Food%20Guide.pdf
Yeah they're in really small cages, they basically just have nothing to do but hop around and honk all the time. :smith: Not sure about the food, might have to ask what they're feeding them. Wanna snuggle dat Mindo, he looks so adorable.

Also I haven't posted any pictures of my conure for some time!

Recently he's been allowing me to do this for longer and longer and it is the best thing about owning a conure. :3:

Also pfft Valentine's, celebrate the superior holiday, Chinese New Year! 恭喜发财!

Wanted to take some pictures of Cheeky as well, but his tail is pretty ratty looking. Gonna wait until he molts for some sexy male cockatiel action. :haw:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Munchee posted:

Malalol posted:

This made me want to take a video of Bart!

Its not really singing, more like.. one note over and over and over and I'm going to strangle you bird. He does nicer songs sometimes :(

Curious if you guys have tiels like this too.

Well, now he's awake I played both of these for Steve-he WEEOOOed a bit at the first video, and didn't bother for the second, just fluffed back up on his monitor. As for the cuddlebug video, no, Steve isn't quite like that. He's cuddly as long as it stays above the neck. Though aren't you touching him in a way that's sexual for him, over his back and belly? I try to avoid that.

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Yeah they're in really small cages, they basically just have nothing to do but hop around and honk all the time. :smith: Not sure about the food, might have to ask what they're feeding them. Wanna snuggle dat Mindo, he looks so adorable.

Also I haven't posted any pictures of my conure for some time!

Recently he's been allowing me to do this for longer and longer and it is the best thing about owning a conure. :3:

Dem feets. I wish belly rubs were okay for them, because just look at that. :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I pet Ama's belly once in a while when he's lying on his back in my palm being the Cutest Bird Ever. He actually doesn't seem to like them at all: after the second one he usually starts kicking his feet to flip over and climb back up to my shoulder.

And as soon as the camera comes out forget it. :mad:

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

Yeah conures always want to eat ALL THE CAMERAS, he was actually holding up that giant red packet by himself until I took the camera out.

Bird why do you not want everyone to know how cute you are

Sunny flips over as well, but he's sort of throwing a tantrum, he will make those little conure quacking noises and flail his little feet around. So adorable and angry. :3:

EDIT: Oh my god how did I miss those pictures of Mr. Pending above? He's such a dapper and regal gentleman. :3: Cheeky loves staring outside as well, the moment I open his cage he'll climb onto the window railing and look at the plants outside for hours.

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 15, 2013

Munchee
Jun 7, 2006
EAT BEES

Lenswork posted:

Happy Valentines to all our feathered buddies!
Birdie dinners are so much cuter on Valentine's Day

Gorgeous eyes!

Malalol posted:

Curious if you guys have tiels like this too. Hes also dumb as a rock (hes on my keyboard tray right now and he started walking towards the back of it..and I heard a thunk! and...well, he walked right off the keyboard tray and fell. Good job Bart. Youre stupid. I love you. And I like to embarrass you by fulling all your feathers back and show off that naked neck.

PJ DOES THE SAME THING. He also looked shocked when he heard your bird making the "tsk tsk tsk" sound. He's kind of a cuddleslut, but he's got a daily quota and once he's met it, he wants nothing to do with me.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Well, now he's awake I played both of these for Steve-he WEEOOOed a bit at the first video, and didn't bother for the second, just fluffed back up on his monitor.

Aw, grumpytiels.

I think PJ has a beak fetish. :derptiel:

http://youtu.be/X1g00sriax0

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Archer gets angry when he hears videos of other male tiels. First he'll start saying "Whatcha doing?" in his annoyed voice, then wolf whistle, and then just run around the cage doing screaming at the top of his lungs. Dude wants his harem to himself.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
My birds mated. :stonk: I don't know why this was a shock to me, I guess because they did it right in front of me. Cirrus literally never stops performing a mating dance and/or feeding all of the other birds so I guess it was inevitable. I just assumed...it would not happen. In front of me. It was weird.

e: Also Cirrus is learning to wolf-whistle. For some reason (the dryness I guess) my whistling is terrible in the winter but I have been trying for ages to get him to do it and I have started hearing him make a sound in the same pitch which sounds like it could be the same whistle. It's understandable that he might butcher it given how lovely I do it but he seems to be into repeating it.

My oldest female budgie is officially no longer a people biter. This is a huge step for her because she used to bite savagely at the slightest provocation, she is very territorial and used to be very nervous and would always run away but I can pick her up easily now, little or no chasing (little being she will run for a second, then stop), I can cup her in my hands and give her a belly kiss and she will sit on my finger and kiss my nose over and over again, but has stopped biting completely. The only situation when she is prone to snap is when a finger is pointed in her face. I don't know why but this makes her really angry.

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 16, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori is molting, in a way that's hardly noticeable, apart from all the pin feathers hidden underneath the top layers. It's been going on for a week or two now, but there's not really any feathers floating about so I don't know where they all go.

Steve started molting today, and it's incredibly obvious because of the sudden explosion of little yellow feathers everywhere. Scratch his neck, feathers fall out. He puffs up and shakes, feathers fall out. He preens, feathers come out. He was sat on a knee earlier as usual for about half an hour, and after getting up there were 11 small feathers left behind.

I feel for those of you with multiple cockatiels, especially if they all molt at the same time.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
It's been a week since Dr. Bird, and we went and visited the local bird shop to let them know about it (in case they were keeping track of it for genetic reasons) and also get our fill of new birds. We saw some Kakarikis that were incredibly friendly and adorable, and some super chatty cockatiels. Also a cockatoo that was sizing us up and saying "Hello" in a perfect voice every time we wandered away.

Man, there are just so many interesting birds out there. Makes me want to investigate more breeds this time around.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori is molting, in a way that's hardly noticeable, apart from all the pin feathers hidden underneath the top layers. It's been going on for a week or two now, but there's not really any feathers floating about so I don't know where they all go.

Steve started molting today, and it's incredibly obvious because of the sudden explosion of little yellow feathers everywhere. Scratch his neck, feathers fall out. He puffs up and shakes, feathers fall out. He preens, feathers come out. He was sat on a knee earlier as usual for about half an hour, and after getting up there were 11 small feathers left behind.

I feel for those of you with multiple cockatiels, especially if they all molt at the same time.

I wish I had a picture of what the vacuum bin looked like after the last batch of molts. Having four tiels is surprisingly not that maintenance intensive but it's amazing how at least two of them will be molting at the exact same time. Also, Hunter has heavy molts and gets super stressed so he looks like he's at death's door the entire time and sometimes he gets watery poop the entire time.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

I am so happy that Zeke and Zoe are old and geriatric with no interest in knockin' feathers. I hear enough awkward bird sex coming from Mamacita and Dio, thank you very much.

Last night Zeke tucked Zoe under his wing as they fell asleep. This was after an evening spent being bullied away from a treat of leftover noodles since Zoe is pushy and a whiner. I always get such a kick from knowing that Zeke hates everyone and everything besides me and Zoe. He even helps her preen herself since her damaged beak makes it difficult to poke into a lot of feathery nooks and crannies. :allears:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

The Doctor posted:

e: Also Cirrus is learning to wolf-whistle. For some reason (the dryness I guess) my whistling is terrible in the winter but I have been trying for ages to get him to do it and I have started hearing him make a sound in the same pitch which sounds like it could be the same whistle. It's understandable that he might butcher it given how lovely I do it but he seems to be into repeating it.
It might be your lovely prompt, but it could also be because birds make sounds in a fundamentally different way. How would you whistle without lips? Honestly it's amazing that birds can mimic sounds as well as they do, and you can sometimes see a bird going through bizarre contortions with its beak and neck just to say "Hello!"

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Zeke and Zoe are adorbs :3: Elder-birds are so cute!

My fingers are COVERED in bites and I'm going to smoosh this tiny bird any day now! He is getting better though. We've had to shun him from shoulders finally. Finn and Marci never gave us problems with being higher up but this little poo poo... Hahah.

I took Marshal and Marci to the vet the other day and I was the PROUDEST BIRD-MOM EVER. Literally every person working at the vet came into the exam room to see Marceline because they said she was the best behaved and friendliest bird they've ever had. She was so thrilled being able to jump from person to person and sing for them and dance. Marshal, on the other hand, just got extremely jealous and made tiny raptor noises the whole time.

burds :3:

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
I am now 100% confident that Pumpkin is female. Now I have two birds who constantly wave their butts in their air clucking for my "attention", oh joy.

ILoveYou
Apr 21, 2010

Any advice on helping a new parrotlet (baby male) adjust to his new home? I got my little guy a week or so ago and he's still pretty skittish

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
I've been putting this off, but it's seeming more permanent now and I am always afraid of other bird crazies judging me.
Here it goes anyway.

My little lovebird Azmo got too much for my husband and I. I was hospitalized in August with a bad case of near death and I am still on the mend from that event. His screaming, extreme hormonal behaviors, in combination with his vicious biting giving me infections all over my hands and face I had to let him go. However, I do not feel like such a douche because a friend of mine took him. She is a veterinarian, with a specialization in psittacines, and is in love with little yellow lovebirds (as she had one and it died not too long ago). He is now named Little Chicken and lives with her. He doesn't scream as often anymore and has full run of a fully animal proof house- and she doesn't mind is tiny rage filled bites made of razors. I miss him dearly, but I do get to visit and I know he is happier.

However, this is where the story gets happier. My vet friend was also having troubles with her bird, an orange winged amazon. His name is Frodo and he would do nothing but scream all day. Over Christmas, we bird-sat and he took to us so well (and is now besties with my husband). So she and I ended up trading birds. Now Azmo lives with her and Frodo lives with me and both birds have never been happier. Frodo never screams (only squawks when we prolong his morning wakeup dance and fruit salad.) He is also eating healthier with me, and Azmo her. According to her, Frodo never ate green beans, dark leafy greens, or carrots and now when he sees them, he flips his poo poo and will beg and beg until I give him some.

So, I am sad for the loss of Azmodan, but knowing he is much happier and having a middle aged, very polite and well-behaved Amazon (my favorite species of psittacine) makes me smile.

List of words/sounds Frodo says:
Hello
Hello Frodo
Whatcha doin?
Pretty bird
Good boy good boy good boooooyyyeee!
Chicken clucks (bok bok bok BUKAW)
Tom Cruise!
Luckydoo!
Cat call/wolf whistle
Water bubbles
BEEP
Burp sound
Fart sound
Chihuahua bark
Coughing sound
NO! (only to the cats)
Ow
That hurts
You're Welcome
Go Bears!
WHAT
Purring sounds
Snoo Snoo
Meow
Clicks
HIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Laughing
Gimme a kiss!
Kissy sounds

We are working on:
Hail Satan!
NO TOUCHING! (a la Arrested Development)
Help! I'm trapped in a parrot!
Thank you!
Good night/night night!
Please

And for the obligatory photodump (he doesn't like the camera too much, so most photos taken are blurry and he's making that "must kill or run away" face.

After a very exciting bath, where he chose to sing to me the entire time and call me a pretty bird and say GIMME A KISS *SMWAAAH*

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

So cute! Look at those fluffed up feathers, that's the sign of a content bird.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
So wait, you had a bad fit and found a new owner for your bird that seems totally awesome. Where is the harsh judgement supposed to happen?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah, that sounds like a perfect fit for every party involved -- especially since you can still visit Azmochicken and Frodo's old owner can visit him. :3: Congrats!

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Chili posted:

So wait, you had a bad fit and found a new owner for your bird that seems totally awesome. Where is the harsh judgement supposed to happen?
Yeah, it seems that you did the best you could to find a nice home for your bird and it turned out awesome. You did nothing wrong at all. :3:

Seriously, I've seen people let their budgies go because they had air sac mites or something minor. :sigh:

I love Frodo's little blue feather spectacles, he looks so adorable goddamn. :3: So fluffy and cute aaag. Also you've done a great job with him, he looks content as all hell.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I get the fear. A lot of pet island forum subthreads have really terribly judgmental people who will jump down your throat and call you hitler for not using their preferred food brand. (I'm looking at you, house bunny thread :colbert: )

AltruisticNemesis
Nov 7, 2007
tra la la
Thank you all for the understanding and kind words. I'm apparently more paranoid about the approval of invisible internet people than others. Also, when I told my boss (who is also a veterinarian) she kind of gave me the look like "you couldn't handle him? Just gunna throw him out?" I explained the non-apartment friendly screaming, the hormone issues, and how I would get infections from the bites and she seemed to understand a bit more, but there was still that look. She seemed to lighten up when I told her I didn't just pass him off on some craigslist dude versus a vet she knows and trusts and keeps trying to bribe to work at our hospital.

He is definitely a love muffin though not so big on hugs (he gets them anyway goddamnit). My husband who "doesn't like birds", is "not a bird guy", and "can not get why people like birds so much" now gives him kisses, dances with him, and plays enrichment games with him. Frodo actually likes the husband a bit more than me.

I felt really guilty at first and had a little crying fit, but then Azmo started screaming and bit me between the webbing of my toes and I felt a bit better about the trade. The husband also made me feel better with the tried and true "what would you tell a client if they had these issues?" That stupid line works on any animal decision I ever have to make.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
OH MY GOD THAT LAST PHOTO.

I love orange wings. There's a pair of them I play with at Zazu's and just adore. I love all amazons really, the more I play with different ones the more they all become one of my favorite species to interact with (all of them are secretly love muffins deep inside). Your story is a very sweet one, congrats on your exceptionally beautiful new buddy. I can only hope Zippy's feathers look as smooth and lovely as Frodo's someday.

P.S.- I demand more happy amazon photos! And videos of him talking! He comes with quite the large vocabulary.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Hello everyone, I am hoping that the bird loving goons in this thread might be able to give me some advice about parrot safety.

Today, we had a near-miss with Saffy (Alexandrine parrot, about 3 years old). While I was distracted, she flew into the laundry and chewed through the power cable where the washing machine connects to the wall. This is unusual behaviour for her, as she's never been interested in the power sockets before now. Luckily, she didn't get zapped but now I am very worried that she is going to injure herself somehow. I only had my attention off her for a minute and something near disastrous has happened.

We've had her for about a year, and her wings were clipped when we got her. They grew back in about two months ago, and since then she's started really exploring the house. I was pretty happy about this originally because I want her to be stimulated and not stuck in her cage or on her stand just feeling bored. But she is quickly becoming quite destructive, but that's not what worries me. I'm really concerned that she might get into something that injures or kills her.

Is it possible to parrot-proof cables? If so, how would I go about doing this? Mr bee is an engineer and computer programmer so there is quite a lot of tech in our house. I don't really want to clip her wings unless it's a last resort option for keeping her safe. She just seems so much more animated and cheerful now that she can fly around I would feel awful taking that away from her :(

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Battle Pigeon posted:

I love your... Pookie too and want to roll her saucers and give her tea. She sounds so sweet. :3:

Steve would never let me do this, he'd hiss and bash/bite my fingers if I tried. I'll show him this video tomorrow too while telling him how awesome PJ is, he never sings so maybe some rivalry will help.

Speaking of Mr Pending:

He has a habit now of flying over and sitting on your knee. He hardly ever goes to his old shelf spot anymore-it's either on the computer monitor looking out of the window during the day, or on your knee/closest spot otherwise. He'll also hang out on the chairs tucked under the table in the main room-more than once I've not been able to locate him, called him though it rarely does anything, and discovered him watching me from under the table.

AAAAAAHH! I love him!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

The only judgement we bestow upon you is for not coming and sharing photos sooner. :colbert:

Seriously-if you'd written about your issues before, sure we probably would have offered suggestions on how to possibly improve the situation, but I don't think anyone would have held it against you for rehoming Azmodan. Now, not only did you find him a good home where he's happier, but you took in another bird and now it has a home where it's happier too-and so are the humans all around. Seems like it worked out pretty well to me. :)

bee posted:

Is it possible to parrot-proof cables? If so, how would I go about doing this? Mr bee is an engineer and computer programmer so there is quite a lot of tech in our house. I don't really want to clip her wings unless it's a last resort option for keeping her safe. She just seems so much more animated and cheerful now that she can fly around I would feel awful taking that away from her :(

I've seen big thick plastic tubing that you could put the cables in, or put them in cardboard tubes, but she'd likely just bite through that eventually and anything else too. You could try and collect up the spare lengths and hang it rolled up or put it in a box so it's harder to get to, and less of it. Otherwise, be hyper-vigilant when she's out and about and when she's about to bite a cable, tell her no and remove her, or offer her something else in the hope that over time she'll grow bored of them? You can also try to make her cage/stand more appealing to her so she'd prefer to spend time there being destructive with toys. Finally, perhaps teach her a recall command, and/or one to tell her to fly to her stand, and again reward her for that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So after looking at all sorts of birds over the past couple of days, I've got some questions for those of you with different types of birds.

I love Senegals to death, they seem like the friendliest and most playful of the Conures. However, MY WIFE doesn't like the fact that they bind to one person so strongly. She's afraid that it would bond to me (because I'm home more and would give it more attention) and would attack her or simply not want to interact with her at all. Is that pretty much what would happen?

I think we're leaning more towards Budgies or another Cockatiel, honestly. Tiels are great little birds, although we're really nervous about having to be put through what we were put through again. Despite the fact that the pancreatic cancer he got was so rare that it doesn't appear in any vet bird text books (our vet has been in the exotics business for 20 years and never saw it, plus we couldn't find anything in any Veterinary Medicine journals), it was still quite an ordeal to have to go through. Not to mention really expensive, which is unfortunately a concern.

Budgies seem a bit lower maintenance, and the cage we have currently (which is a bit on the large side for a Tiel) would be plenty big for 1 or 2 Budgies. They also seem to have friendly personalities and love to sing, which is nice.

On to the negatives about us as parents. We both work full time, if not more. Sometimes I travel for work and sometimes we go on vacation and can't take the birds with us, so they would be babysat. We have a Jack Russell so letting the bird out unsupervised (while being a dumb idea anyway) is even more dangerous.

What are your thoughts on breeds? I've read the OP and all sorts of other resources, but would like to hear from some owners.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Species, not breed. Senegals aren't conures either, and are often described as a more independent kind of bird, in the sense of being happy to sit and do their own thing rather than being glued to you like a conure. We looked at Senegals originally too, and while the one-person personality isn't guaranteed, we decided not to risk it. It's something you would have to make allowances for in case it happened, but then again, all birds are individuals. If you wanted a Senegal I would recommend looking around for a rescue and seeing if they have an older Senegal (or other bird) so you know what its adult personality is like.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

Species, not breed. Senegals aren't conures either, and are often described as a more independent kind of bird, in the sense of being happy to sit and do their own thing rather than being glued to you like a conure. We looked at Senegals originally too, and while the one-person personality isn't guaranteed, we decided not to risk it. It's something you would have to make allowances for in case it happened, but then again, all birds are individuals. If you wanted a Senegal I would recommend looking around for a rescue and seeing if they have an older Senegal (or other bird) so you know what its adult personality is like.

Ah, thanks for the corrections. I'll have to read up on the risks associated with adopting an already-adult bird, we've seen a few places around here that do that but aside from getting a veterinary checkup I'm not quite sure what the risks would be.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Adopting an already-adult bird is actually a really good idea, as long as you know:
1. The vet records
2. Any personality quirks the bird has

It is also very important to visit and bond with the bird a bit before making a final decision or bringing it home. If the bird shows that it likes you both in an environment that is not your home, that is a very good indication that it will like you at home (and, even better, be social enough that it will like your friends).

With that little demon dog of yours, you can either go with the "keep the bird caged or the dog in another room at all times" method or "get a big enough bird that the dog should be running scared" method (may require careful supervision the first few times to ensure the bird bites the dog's nose hard enough). Depending on how big the dog is, a large Amazon may be enough for the second one (and Amazons are quite social and tend to like multiple people).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

SquadronROE posted:

Ah, thanks for the corrections. I'll have to read up on the risks associated with adopting an already-adult bird, we've seen a few places around here that do that but aside from getting a veterinary checkup I'm not quite sure what the risks would be.

I'm personally a fan of doing so where possible (so yes, a bit biased), here's why:

-Personality is already formed as an adult. There are lots of situations where someone buys a baby bird, and they're sweet and loving like most babies, but then hit puberty and for example decide they don't like the owner/another bird, or become aloof, or only prefer one sex, etc... with an adult bird you know already what its personality is like and they'll tend not to do a 180 when they come home. With a decent rescue they should know the bird's quirks and likes/dislikes, and be able to tell you all about them and let you and the bird meet each other to see how you all get along. It's easier to find a bird that's a good fit for you and your lifestyle.
-Giving a home to an older bird. "Older" could even mean as little as a few years old, and considering the overall lifespan, that's not really much missed. Personally it's just nicer to be able to give a home to a bird that may have trouble finding one otherwise simply because they're not little anymore.
-Can be cheaper to adopt than buy a baby bird

Obviously it's up to you and no one will fault you for getting a young bird from a good breeder if that's what you wanted, the above is just my own opinion.