Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Why are they referring to 7th and 8th gen systems as 'Gen 3' and 'Gen 4'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Chaltab posted:

Why are they referring to 7th and 8th gen systems as 'Gen 3' and 'Gen 4'?

Probably referring to Unreal Engine 3 and 4, I'm guessing.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Maybe its a reference to Unreal engine tech or they started labelling them with the Playstation/N64 era.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Maybe its a reference to Unreal engine tech or they started labelling them with the Playstation/N64 era.
The latter apparently, I guess based on 3D game development.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm guessing the latter, because the Playstation brand has been going numerical and it's easier than getting them young'uns to remember how many generations of "ancient/unplayable" games they've missed.

I already think it's weird that there's a generation of gamers that never grew up with the NES, and now you have some that never grew up during the 16-bit era and possibly the 32/64-bit era. Feeling old.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Yeah I doubt they based it on Unreal. Considering how much they push Frostbite and other internally developed engines they barely use Unreal for their games.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I already think it's weird that there's a generation of gamers that never grew up with the NES, and now you have some that never grew up during the 16-bit era and possibly the 32/64-bit era. Feeling old.

Mario Kart: Double Dash or Mario Kart Wii were some people's first and thus favorite Mario Kart, and that is weird to me.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 17, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Crowbear posted:

Mario Kart: Double Dash or Mario Kart Wii were some people's first and thus favorite Mario Kart, and that is weird to me.

I didn't care much for MK Wii myself, but I'm probably one of the few folks that actually enjoyed Double Dash. It's not my favorite, but I didn't think it was the turd some people claim it is. :shrug:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

I didn't care much for MK Wii myself, but I'm probably one of the few folks that actually enjoyed Double Dash. It's not my favorite, but I didn't think it was the turd some people claim it is. :shrug:

I hate whoever it is decided that the unique character items from Double Dash couldn't remain a staple of the series.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I think they're both fine games. It's just weird to think of kids experiencing them the same way I experienced Super Mario Kart all those years ago. It's been more than 20 years :negative:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lizard Wizard posted:

I hate whoever it is decided that the unique character items from Double Dash couldn't remain a staple of the series.

They could have, but they definitely needed to be balanced better. There was no reason NOT to pick Baby Mario or Baby Luigi.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

blackguy32 posted:

There was no reason NOT to pick Baby Mario or Baby Luigi.

There is one simple reason; Toad 4 Lyfe.

Also racing game related but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get Burnout WiiU since it looks like a non-gimped port and I want to show EA that there are people who want mature games on this system. The Miiverse stuff sounds like an awesome way to intergrate the online, I'm psyched and I've never really been into that style of racing game before.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know why every heavy character sucks in every Mario Kart. It's like in 21 years they have never figured out how character balance works.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

I don't know why every heavy character sucks in every Mario Kart. It's like in 21 years they have never figured out how character balance works.

Well in Mario Kart Wii heavy characters were supposed to have higher top speeds and basically act as muscle cars, whereas lighter vehicles had great acceleration+handling and were better for beginners.

So heavy mii/funky kong in a motor bike was outright the fastest character and he was one of the heaviest. Basically everyone with a serious rank used him online.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There is one simple reason; Toad 4 Lyfe.

Also racing game related but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get Burnout WiiU since it looks like a non-gimped port and I want to show EA that there are people who want mature games on this system. The Miiverse stuff sounds like an awesome way to intergrate the online, I'm psyched and I've never really been into that style of racing game before.

That is why you pick Toad and Baby Luigi (cause Mario sucks)

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

They could have, but they definitely needed to be balanced better. There was no reason NOT to pick Baby Mario or Baby Luigi.

If you were always in the lead, Diddy Kong and some other motherfucker in the barrel train (best train) was the poo poo, because you could actually get the big bananas in first place.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

There are people turning 18 whose first console was an XBox 360 that they got at the age of ten.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

My greatest MK memory is playing to 20 wins on Baby Park set to 8 laps and special items set to max, in the end we ran 200+ laps. I used Diddy and Bowser Jr. to cover the item lines with bananas and sent giant shells back to anyone behind me, or while drifting sideways so it could cross over the center median and bounce back and forth.

Those were also hilarious on thin roads/bridges like the end of the DK level, placed right there was no avoiding them. Right behind the leader...boom, giant shell in your face.

Almost forgot about the crazy co-op, requiring simultaneous switch button presses was evil/hilarious.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Supercar Gautier posted:

There are people turning 18 whose first console was an XBox 360 that they got at the age of ten.

A 13 year old kid who got a 360 when it came out could have grown up and had a kid who now has their own 360.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

A 13 year old kid who got a 360 when it came out could have grown up and had a kid who now has their own 360.

If I bear a child with my fiancee their first console will be the PC, I'll get them system shock 2, half life 1, unreal tournament, dark forces II, and Diablo II. And they'll loving like it. :colbert:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bobnumerotres posted:

So heavy mii/funky kong in a motor bike was outright the fastest character and he was one of the heaviest. Basically everyone with a serious rank used him online.

This was me that spring break after it came out. Funky kong and then a big mii with the smuggest gooniest face I could make. He took me to 9000+ rating and then it got bad because you never got matched with anyone your level and getting one of those bad breaks in the third lap meant you lost 600 points.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Bobnumerotres posted:

If I bear a child with my fiancee their first console will be the PC, I'll get them system shock 2, half life 1, unreal tournament, dark forces II, and Diablo II. And they'll loving like it. :colbert:

Is it bad to say that when I worked at GameStop, I told the couples with really little kids (toddlers) that probably the best way to raise them up on games isn't Leap Frog or things like that, but a good ol Super Nintendo and it's huge collection of gems? Retro gaming hipster? :v:

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Supercar Gautier posted:

This doesn't seem right to me at all. My first console was a PS1 when I was quite young, 7 or 8 and I'm only 20 now. Has the 360 really been out for so long now?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

gobbledygoat posted:

This doesn't seem right to me at all. My first console was a PS1 when I was quite young, 7 or 8 and I'm only 20 now. Has the 360 really been out for so long now?

This generation has been eternal compared to the last couple. The 360 came out in 2005.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gobbledygoat posted:

I'm 21 and my first console was a NES, when I was four (1995). Like a year later we got a SNES and I was introduced to Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country, and I started getting into Diablo.

That would also be around the time when the sun stopped touching my skin for about a decade and a half, now I have to deal with all these "friends" and "jobs," it's just awful.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm 21 and my first console was a NES, when I was four (1995). Like a year later we got a SNES and I was introduced to Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country, and I started getting into Diablo.

That would also be around the time when the sun stopped touching my skin for about a decade and a half, now I have to deal with all these "friends" and "jobs," it's just awful.

So you went from being mostly indoors for 15 years to having a fiance at 21. Why couldn't I pull this off :negative:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

So you went from being mostly indoors for 15 years to having a fiance at 21. Why couldn't I pull this off :negative:

Just stay indoors. I regret ever touching a real woman, I should've just had a waifu and I'd have all the time in the world to make Monster Hunter spreadsheets and yell at people over the internet. Instead I spend all my time doing stuff like having sex and there's like wet stuff and it's gross just ugh, and don't even get me started on social gatherings.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did Gaijin Games ever detail anything exclusive to the wii u version of Runner 2? I'm trying to decide between the wii u and the pc version.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you're in Europe and want Darksiders 2, it's £15 here:
http://www.zavvi.com/games-wii-u/darksiders-2-wii-u/10481347.html

Meanwhile the US, buy one get second 50% off at Best Buy (including preorders):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wii-U/Wii-U-Games/pcmcat274600050017.c?id=pcmcat274600050017&gf=y

Or if you want both Wii U and 3DS versions of Monster Hunter, Amazon has $20 off if you preorder both:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/monster_hunter/blog/2013/02/15/mh3u-pre-order-deal-from-amazon-saves-you-20

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

japtor posted:

Meanwhile the US, buy one get second 50% off at Best Buy (including preorders):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wii-U/Wii-U-Games/pcmcat274600050017.c?id=pcmcat274600050017&gf=y

I wish we knew 100% if Monster Hunter was getting a digital release on day 1, also why isn't Need for Speed on there :argh:

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
So Trine 2 is reduced to £9.99 on the eshop. Is it worth getting? It's basically a platformer right? it looks so pretty in the screenshots.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Balcony posted:

So Trine 2 is reduced to £9.99 on the eshop. Is it worth getting? It's basically a platformer right? it looks so pretty in the screenshots.

I found it kinda disappointing. It looked great in the screenshots and the trailers, but for some reason it never gets quite that beautiful when you play.

The platforming is awful. It doesn't feel like a jump, but as if the physics engine sets the gravitational parameters of your character to a different value and reconfigures it after X distance. This might be hard to explain, but the controls just feel really off. Like it wasn't made to be a platformer but just some physics stuff and they added jumping as an afterthought.

I was expecting Lost Vikings, got clumsy controls, repetitive puzzles and stuff you almost couldn't beat without buying certain upgrades that the game never warned you about. The whole thing is frustrating to play and not worth it.

Then again, this might be because I played solo and a good amount of stuff relies on quick switching between characters, which isn't an issue role if you have some friends over.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

There's kids out there who never hooked up their dedicated pong machine to their black and white television, too. :corsair:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

BioTech posted:

I found it kinda disappointing. It looked great in the screenshots and the trailers, but for some reason it never gets quite that beautiful when you play.

The platforming is awful. It doesn't feel like a jump, but as if the physics engine sets the gravitational parameters of your character to a different value and reconfigures it after X distance. This might be hard to explain, but the controls just feel really off. Like it wasn't made to be a platformer but just some physics stuff and they added jumping as an afterthought.

I was expecting Lost Vikings, got clumsy controls, repetitive puzzles and stuff you almost couldn't beat without buying certain upgrades that the game never warned you about. The whole thing is frustrating to play and not worth it.

Then again, this might be because I played solo and a good amount of stuff relies on quick switching between characters, which isn't an issue role if you have some friends over.

The physics are kind of wonky, but I can attest to the fun had while playing with a friend. Plus there is the option to make it so you can use the wizard to levitate other players, which can lead to some great hijinks.

I just bought a Wii U this week, and although I haven't bought any games for it besides Nintendoland and Trine 2, I'm already glad I bought it and I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm expecting my WiiU to show up tomorrow after finally buying the ZombiU pack with Monster Hunter and Lego City on the horizon. Trine 2's kinda on my radar since I love the first one.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crowbear posted:

I wouldn't hate Mario Kart Wii if they hadn't destroyed Battle Mode!

Seriously, whoever's idea it was to make battle mode time-only is literally a japanese version of Hitler. Literally. I am so mad.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Seriously, whoever's idea it was to make battle mode time-only is literally a japanese version of Hitler. Literally. I am so mad.

Battle mode online with 8-12 players on the WiiU and voicechat is going to be so much loving fun. I cannot wait. I don't care if it's like the Wii one.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

Battle mode online with 8-12 players on the WiiU and voicechat is going to be so much loving fun. I cannot wait. I don't care if it's like the Wii one.

I will boycott (read: Not boycott) the game if they don't have a version of battle mode that doesn't timeout.

edit: I get that it could be annoying for online, but at least give me the option locally, Nintendo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

theflyingorc posted:

I don't get why every Mario Kart doesn't just copy 64's battle mode but make the maps bigger for more players.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Spacebump posted:

I don't get why every Mario Kart doesn't just copy 64's battle mode but make the maps bigger for more players.

64 will always be my favorite for having the best Battle mode and the absolutely cheapest shortcuts.

I understand why they don't do that anymore, but the fact that Wario Stadium's best time for all 3 laps is approximately 7 seconds is the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

64 will always be my favorite for having the best Battle mode and the absolutely cheapest shortcuts.

I understand why they don't do that anymore, but the fact that Wario Stadium's best time for all 3 laps is approximately 7 seconds is the best. :allears:

64 had some great tracks mixed with some terrible ones. Wario Stadium and Rainbow Road were both tedious without those shortcuts.

• Locked thread