Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

1st AD posted:

Dimensions is really fun so far, I really like the job system and auto-battle makes it really easy to mindlessly grind your levels up. I'm already at level 25 and I'm only on chapter 2 (I assume I'm not very far in the story).

Without spoiling the plot, what are some good job combinations? Right now I like getting the INT or MND + 20% from leveled up Black/White Mages and pairing those with the HP + 20% from a Red Mage. I haven't found a good combo for the physical attack classes other than throwing Counter on everyone.

I was thinking about picking this up. Is it worth the $20 price tag on Android? That's the entire game, correct? It's not buyable in episodes like the iOS version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Levantine posted:

I was thinking about picking this up. Is it worth the $20 price tag on Android? That's the entire game, correct? It's not buyable in episodes like the iOS version?

Yes, it's the entire game. I've put 20 hours into it so far and I'm maybe 30% of the way through it (disclaimer: I am a compulsive grinder so games featuring the job system are my weakness) so yeah, it's definitely been worth the $20 to me.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CottonWolf posted:

Oooo. Can I join the unpopular opinion club? I used to be all about VI, but having just played a large section of it again... I think it was mainly nostalgia talking. It disappointed me in a way that I didn't get when I replayed VII last year.

VII is the most overrated game of the history of videogaming, perhaps escluding OoT.

I don't really think there's a popular opinion when talking FFs.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Aureon posted:

I don't really think there's a popular opinion when talking FFs.
Yeah, it is just hundreds of people talking at entirely cross purposes. We can't really expect anything else when you have a series where every game changes it up the formula.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Levantine posted:

It's a long retro-SNES game with a really nice job system and auto-battle. Also retro tunes (for the low price of $10 :downs: )

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

1st AD posted:

It's a long retro-SNES game with a really nice job system and auto-battle. Also retro tunes (for the low price of $10 :downs: )

Android version apparently gets the chiptune tracks for free, though I could be wrong and it was just a temporary thing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

1st AD posted:

Is the job system pretty much straight out of FFV or have they made some refinements to it? I sorta browsed the website but it's hard to get a sense from the job descriptions there.

Also I really like what I've heard of the stock soundtrack so I can't imagine using the chiptunes, let alone paying for them.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Levantine posted:

Is the job system pretty much straight out of FFV or have they made some refinements to it? I sorta browsed the website but it's hard to get a sense from the job descriptions there.

They made a lot of refinements to 5's system. Every Job goes up to L20 now, and each level increases its base stats by 1%. You also get more ability slots (to a maximum of four at L19) but it's somewhat balanced out by most !Command abilities and a number of good passives (Dual Wield etc) taking up two slots, so for about the first third to half of the game you'll be juggling between abilities a lot more. With Job Levels going to 20 now you also get more AP per fight but if you aren't going crazy grind times you'll probably only master 1-2 per character.

The biggest limit is JP, which is doled out regularly as you progress through the game and allows you to increase the maximum level on a Job per character; until postgame there's a finite amount of JP which lets you master... I think four Jobs to 20 while getting pretty close on a fifth. With this in mind it's better to pick an archetype you want a certain character to be (melee dude, healer, Black Mage) and stick with Jobs that enhance it rather than try to master all of them at once.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Shaezerus posted:

Android version apparently gets the chiptune tracks for free, though I could be wrong and it was just a temporary thing.

I got the alternate music included with my purchase.

Also, if you wanted to play Dimensions FJF style, you could randomly distribute JP.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah, it is just hundreds of people talking at entirely cross purposes. We can't really expect anything else when you have a series where every game changes it up the formula.

I like all of the main-series games except 2 which is as close as any game in the series gets to universal hatred and 13 which was more of a disappointment after 10/12 than anything and still had some redeeming qualities (lategame battles, some good characters). You can totally recognize that every game has a different formula and still think they're more or less good games, sometimes for wildly differing reasons!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dross posted:

That last point is the stickler, but other than that there's no reason why you can't tweet for a new job when each character joins your party as opposed to all at once.

I agree with all of these statements. If you think X is better than XII we'll be unpopular opinion bros.

I can easily, easily join you in this "unpopular opinion". X was a legitimately good game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Dross posted:

I agree with all of these statements. If you think X is better than XII we'll be unpopular opinion bros.

That's hard to determine for me. I absolutely think X's combat system is better than XII's. That's no contest. I like the sphere grid much better than the license board. Characters are kind of a tossup. I like Basch and Balthier better than most characters in X, but the characters in X were actually characters, for better or for worse, than just being people who explained the plot when you went to a new area. The backgrounds of characters, like Khimari, was actually relevant to the events of the game, which is in stark contrast to XII. For example, Balthier reveals he used to be a judge. This does not matter in the plot of the game and does not have any effect on his character in the slightest. Tidus being a star blitzball player does matter to the plot.

I like the setting of XII much better than the setting of X though. I'm just kind of a sucker for the Ivalice thing I guess, and stuff like the clan primer which had a ton of flavor text just really appeals to me in a way X can't match.

So, I dunno. While I like most things about X better than XII, in the end, XII is the one I'm currently replaying and I haven't had any desire to replay X after I beat it. Even VIII, which I can't stand, I played through it more than once. I'm not sure why I have no desire to go through X again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Azure_Horizon posted:

I can easily, easily join you in this "unpopular opinion". X was a legitimately good game.

I don't really think that's an unpopular opinion. Most people can at least say the battle system in X was good. The story is alright, I think it's much better the second time when you realize most of the plot twists are things the party is already supposed to know.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Twelve by Pies posted:

For example, Balthier reveals he used to be a judge. This does not matter in the plot of the game and does not have any effect on his character in the slightest.

I'll disagree with that. I think the bit about Balthier being a judge was supposed to illustrate what he morally believes in or how much values freedom. At that point of the game, the player is well aware out what kind of power judges and what they can do so him giving that up says a lot but its left ambiguous. That bit also sets up the father subplot.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

X is really linear

I mean, 13 takes the cake and all, but X is largely a series of pretty corridors as well (just with a lot more freedom to go explore other corridors :v:).

I've never replayed it either, and I thought it had a kickass combat system. Unfortunately I didn't like Tidus and I really didn't like Yuna. Something about simpering women drives me up the loving wall, and Tidus was literally the iconic troubled boy with daddy issues. Ironically I like Lightning much more than her for that reason, despite not liking 13 overall :v:

12 on the other hand, has a huge, huge world to explore and tons of optional side battles to tackle, many of which do force you to actually pay attention and solve a combat puzzle of some sort to win.

And the characters are no contest, Vaan and Penelo might be plot delivery devices, but I like Balthier, Basche, Ashe, Larsa, Gabranth, Cid, Vayne, the Marquis, and others (the Judges were all pretty awesome, I wish they had more screen time).

X? Not so much.

I actually liked X's world a good bit, Sin and the concepts behind it were just as interesting as the Occuria in FF12

tldr: Thread title is always right

edit: Also

victrix fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 16, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

I don't really think that's an unpopular opinion. Most people can at least say the battle system in X was good. The story is alright, I think it's much better the second time when you realize most of the plot twists are things the party is already supposed to know.

I think what I enjoyed most about X was Spira. I think it's a very well-crafted world and I personally have always preferred it to Ivalice on an aesthetic level. The music is also incredible, except for the battle theme, which is probably the worst in the series. The story is hit-or-miss, but I think it had just that level of Hollywood production and panache to make it tolerable.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Dimensions is on the Google Play store, correct? I have a Kindle Fire, is there any way to play it on there or will I just have to run it through Chrome?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the X vs. XII, I feel X had a stronger cast overall - even Lulu and Wakka were kinda important early on, and Kimahri had his er, few shining moments I guess. I really liked some of XII's cast, like Basch, Balthier, and as odd as it sounds, Penelo (I just dig her character design for some reason), but I really, really disliked Ashe - I think she's my least favourite primary protaganist. I'd probably say X is better because you play around far more with it and I think the soundtrack is more memorable, but XII's not bad - it'd probably be in my top 5 or close to it.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I need help in FFV. I'm at the Fork Tower in World 3 and the boss is kicking my rear end, because I have no reflect rings. I can't fight Leviathan yet and hope to find one. Is there any way for me to get one at this point?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Eggie posted:

I'll disagree with that. I think the bit about Balthier being a judge was supposed to illustrate what he morally believes in or how much values freedom. At that point of the game, the player is well aware out what kind of power judges and what they can do so him giving that up says a lot but its left ambiguous. That bit also sets up the father subplot.

Yeah, it adds depth to his character by reminding us that he isn't just some witty rogue who has no connection to the political struggles of Ivalice, but a man who's sacrificed and lost a great deal because of politics and what he believes in just like the other major players. The conflict between what "sky pirates" and "judges" represent is at the core of the story, and Balthier is the only character we know of who's transitioned from one to the other.

The Star Wars parallels keep on coming, too; Han Solo was an Imperial cadet before he was kicked out of flight school for protecting a certain wookie from a superior officer.

ApplesandOranges posted:

On the X vs. XII, I feel X had a stronger cast overall - even Lulu and Wakka were kinda important early on, and Kimahri had his er, few shining moments I guess. I really liked some of XII's cast, like Basch, Balthier, and as odd as it sounds, Penelo (I just dig her character design for some reason), but I really, really disliked Ashe - I think she's my least favourite primary protaganist. I'd probably say X is better because you play around far more with it and I think the soundtrack is more memorable, but XII's not bad - it'd probably be in my top 5 or close to it.

I actually preferred the characters in XII, and Vaan is really the only one I didn't like; they feel "weaker" because there are simply fewer character-developing dialogue bits and cutscenes in XII than X, which I think is partly an intentional choice to be a little more ambiguous and less cinematic than 7-10 and partly the product of the game's themes and story and characters changing a lot during development because of the Matsuno debacle. I think XII and XIII both are almost certainly weaker games than they might otherwise have been, at least in terms of writing if not gameplay, due to their troubled productions.

Fun sidenote re Penelo's design: when I first played the game I wanted to turn her into a monk, but I wasn't quite sure where that idea came from. Turns out it's because she looks like the female monk from FFT. Dunno how many other people didn't catch this.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 17, 2013

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Grawl posted:

I need help in FFV. I'm at the Fork Tower in World 3 and the boss is kicking my rear end, because I have no reflect rings. I can't fight Leviathan yet and hope to find one. Is there any way for me to get one at this point?

To defeat Omniscient, you can just use Silence spellblade on a Mystic Knight. You can get Reflect Rings from the Lemures in Phoenix Tower, and there's one in Istory Falls, too.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Saigyouji posted:

To defeat Omniscient, you can just use Silence spellblade on a Mystic Knight. You can get Reflect Rings from the Lemures in Phoenix Tower, and there's one in Istory Falls, too.

I can't go to Istory Falls yet, since my airship can't dive. Not sure if I can take on Phoenix Tower just yet (or if it's even accessible).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
You could try using a Mage Masher, or whatever they're called in whatever translation you're playing. The earlygame dagger that procs Silence.

EDIT: And I can't take credit for this b/c I just googled it but if you have a way of inflicting Berserk he's vulnerable to that as well, and then it's just a matter of setting up skills or casting Golem so that you can survive his physical output.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 17, 2013

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
To get to the Phoenix Tower, you'll need to grab the Black Chocobo from the Phantom Village, which is in a small forest on the large crescent at the bottom of the map. The tower itself is in the desert to the northeast.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Grawl posted:

Hit him with Berserk. He'll be unable to cast spells and at that point, you can kill him any way your heart desires.

Just make sure you keep yourself healed so that he doesn't beat you to death physically.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

W.T. Fits posted:

Hit him with Berserk. He'll be unable to cast spells and at that point, you can kill him any way your heart desires.

Just make sure you keep yourself healed so that he doesn't beat you to death physically.

That didn't work out well, even with Golem summoned.

What I did was Bartz as knight with a shield + defender (found in the tower) for the white tower. Had to use elixers to keep healed for the boss, but meh.

The rest as black mage + time mage + summoner. For the boss I casted slow on the boss every turn with the time mage, hastega on myself in between and just summoned the poo poo out of Syldra while the black mage (who used !white) to cure or cast shell. Wasn't hard doing it that way.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys!

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

...Balthier is the only character we know of who's transitioned from one to the other.

Reddas was once Judge Zecht.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Vittles posted:

Reddas was once Judge Zecht.

From what the game tells us (as far as I recall), that was less because of freedom and more because of "Oh god, what have I done?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The single greatest failing of XII was that its main cast felt like side characters in their own game. All the interesting poo poo was happening in Archades. The Imperials like Gabranth, Larsa and Cid all stole the show. The non-memorability of the party was compounded by some truly awful pacing which meant that most of the cast were superfluous. Basch for example does nothing from the moment Vossler dies about 15-20% through the game all the way to the final dungeon.

I get the feeling the first part was intentional. As a more "political" game, the Insurgence ("Resistance!") is supposed to be insignificant. Since Archades and Rozaria were in a sort of Cold War, think of Ashe and her group as the remnants of some tiny Eastern European country - they're no real threat to the Superpowers. The game isn't about saving the world from meteors or giant whales or even Hell-based monarchs. It's just about stopping one country and regaining the liberty of another country. The "evil gods" of the game aren't even the villains.

Sadly high concepts often fall flat. The party were just too drat uninteresting most of the time. I love this game to death but the only party members I like are Ashe and Balthier. I like the game for its addictive combat, amazing atmosphere, all the side characters and antagonists, etc..

FFX is interesting because, as we touched on way earlier in this thread, the entire party has a united goal from the onset. The Pilgrimage makes it feel like everyone belongs and has a purpose. In addition, each character has their own little arc where they develop and grow to some extent or another or we at least learn about their backstory. As already said, for better or worse, FFX's main characters were more solidly characterized than FFXII's.

A probably unpopular view I have though is that FFX not only has good protagonists, but good antagonists as well. I liked Seymour, even when you factor in the design. One thing X and XII have in common is that they have heroes and villains who want "essentially" the same thing. In X you have the party and Seymour both wanting to end the Spiral of Death, and in XII you have the heroes and villains both wanting to be "free". Of course the villains go about this in different ways from the heroes and that's why they're villains.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

One thing X and XII have in common is that they have heroes and villains who want "essentially" the same thing. In X you have the party and Seymour both wanting to end the Spiral of Death.

Yeah, but didn't Seymour want to "end the spiral of death" by killing everyone? That's the stupidest poo poo, and no better than the old "I want to destroy the world mwa ha ha" 8-bit villains. I think the weak justification makes his motivation worse, and what puts him behind Kefka, who was totally up front about him just wanting to kill everyone because. Hell, Seymour's plan is even stupider in Spira, where getting killed is just a ticket to immortality and superpowers.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

And, you know, your anger and rage turning you into a horrible monster.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dr Pepper posted:

Didn't seem to bother the leaders of Yevon or Seymour in the slightest. Dead people only seem to turn into monsters when they feel like it, and can switch back to normal people whenever they want.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dr Pepper posted:

Only if you envied people who were still alive, for some reason. If you didn't, then being dead was a minor inconvenience at best. It sure as hell didn't bother the numerous people you encountered through the game who were really dead the whole time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, but didn't Seymour want to "end the spiral of death" by killing everyone? That's the stupidest poo poo, and no better than the old "I want to destroy the world mwa ha ha" 8-bit villains. I think the weak justification makes his motivation worse, and what puts him behind Kefka, who was totally up front about him just wanting to kill everyone because. Hell, Seymour's plan is even stupider in Spira, where getting killed is just a ticket to immortality and superpowers.

It's nihilism, same as Kefka. It's just Seymour believes in the inherent suffering of life, while Kefka believes in the worthlessness of life. All the villains of FFX have a view on this matter actually.

Mika: Men die. Beasts die. Trees die. Even continents perish. Only the power of death truly commands in Spira. Resisting its power is futile.

Yuna: All the people who have opposed Sin... Their battles, their sacrifices--were they all in vain?

Mika: Not in vain. No matter how many summoners give their lives, Sin cannot be truly defeated. The rebirth cannot be stopped. Yet the courage of those who fight gives the people hope. There is nothing futile in the life and death of a summoner.

Yunalesca: Yevon's teachings and the Final Summoning give the people of Spira hope. Without hope, they would drown in their sorrow.

Yuna: My father wanted...to make Spira's sorrow go away. Not just cover it up with lies!"

Yunalesca
Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try.

It's interesting that the Church of Yevon and Yunalesca have such different views from Seymour and yet they all want to "help." It's just that the first group thinks life is so inherently dreary that you can only enjoy it by being lied to, and the other thinks life is so inherently deary that the only path to happiness is for all life to end.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, but didn't Seymour want to "end the spiral of death" by killing everyone? That's the stupidest poo poo, and no better than the old "I want to destroy the world mwa ha ha" 8-bit villains.

Isn't the core of Seymour's motivation that he wants to end everyone's suffering by ending their lives? That's kind of tragic that he wants to commit a mass euthanasia, but the game doesn't sell it very well and I think that's why Seymour doesn't get lauded as a great villain.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Throughout most of the game I just sorta nodded along whenever Seymour was on the screen so I never really "got" his motivations, to me he was just a dude with stupid hair and a bitchin' final showdown theme. :sweatdrop:

I've been thinking about replaying most of the series just so I can pay attention to what is actually going on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dimensions is on the Google Play store, correct? I have a Kindle Fire, is there any way to play it on there or will I just have to run it through Chrome?

Quoting because I got rushed over by X chat.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eggie posted:

Isn't the core of Seymour's motivation that he wants to end everyone's suffering by ending their lives? That's kind of tragic that he wants to commit a mass euthanasia, but the game doesn't sell it very well and I think that's why Seymour doesn't get lauded as a great villain.

The problem is that, even though his motivations are explained quite clearly, his backstory isn't executed well. You only get scattered pieces of it here and there. That backstory is pretty essential in explaining why he's as hosed up as he is and since the backstory falls flat, his motivation can fall flat too. He had all the necessary elements for a sympathetic villain but they just didn't explain it as well as they could have.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

It doesn't help you can easily obliterate Seymour's last form before his kickass theme music starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I forgot Reddas was voiced by Phil LaMarr. Now whenever he talks all I can think of is Bubblegum Tate from Futurama.

Also I'm a bit annoyed. Wanting to avoid enemies in the Necrohol en route to the bosses there, I figured I'd throw up Vanish on my party, only to find that somehow every loving enemy that exists can target you perfectly fine when you're under the effects of Vanish. This is pretty irritating considering that when an enemy is under the effects of Vanish, it is impossible to target them.

Even taking into account that enemies can hear your footsteps and thus know you're there, it's pretty stupid that they're still able to use items and attack you perfectly fine. When I ran into the Wood Toad, I knew exactly where it was because I could hear its footsteps, but nope, can't attack it.