Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I'm catching up in the thread, but I just realized - after all the effort to add more/any female marines to the game, why is Bella referred to as Bella, when as far as I can tell every other CM is referred to by their surname?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
She was probably added as an afterthought.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

DoubleWelp posted:

Has anyone liked this game though? Anyone that doesn't have their advertisement revenues and job on the line, I mean.

I was replying to his earlier point that game journalists constantly give bad games good reviews, which always boils down to someone angry that a popular game they don't like (COD being the most famous example) was well received by reviewers and the general public (i.e not the internet).

This game seems to be one of those rare cases where the large majority thinks it's a turd.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Alien vs Predator Steam code is $11 at Amazon. I appreciate that game way more now after A:CM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWT8hXbYz5w

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

7c Nickel posted:

Just watched Alien 3, something I had avoided it until now due to the reputation. As it's own alien movie I think it's pretty good. However, there was next to no reason that it had to star Ripley. They could have done pretty much the same movie with new characters and it wouldn't have poo poo on the end of Aliens.
One of the better 'Alien3' script drafts was one by David Twohy (better known as the guy who made Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick), and it got rejected because it had no Ripley.

Incidentally a bunch of the ideas from that script got recycled in 'The Chronicles of Riddick'.

He's a pretty cool guy, and he's a big Aliens/AvP fan. He's openly said that if Fox would hire him to make an AvP movie, he'd do it. I've liked pretty much all of his movies so I wouldn't be opposed to him giving it a shot. :shobon:

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
Because of the fallout around this game and this thread, I wanted to scratch the itch so I rewatched Alien and Aliens, and went out and got AvP 2010 on PS3 for really cheap. It's not terrible, especially for $10.

EDIT: People still play the multiplayer online too, which was surprising. Maybe it'll get a console resurgence in lieu of A:CM being good.

Namaste fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 17, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shima Honnou posted:

Gearbox will probably suffer a black mark on their reputation, but that will disappear in the eyes of gamers as soon as they release Borderlands 3 or whatever the next good game they release is. The only way Gearbox will suffer long-term damage is if they release another stinker before the next good game, and I'd wager Pitchford is good enough of a bullshit artist to realize that.

This is incredibly and also very true, its amazing how most gamer will forgive all kinds of bullshit simply based off what IP's the company has.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Shima Honnou posted:

Gearbox will probably suffer a black mark on their reputation, but that will disappear in the eyes of gamers as soon as they release Borderlands 3 or whatever the next good game they release is. The only way Gearbox will suffer long-term damage is if they release another stinker before the next good game, and I'd wager Pitchford is good enough of a bullshit artist to realize that.

Borderlands 3 is still a long way off [wouldn't expect to see that before late 2014]. The other two games that Gearbox has in the pipeline are a Duke Nukem game [is anyone really clamoring for that after DNF?] and a new Brothers in Arms game that has quietly disappeared [and reportedly undergone some drastic changes] since it was unveiled back at E3 2011. So, they're stuck with Aliens: Colonial Marines for a while.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Yeah, it was hyperbole to say A:CM is the modern ET. But I've just been real disappointed lately with the majority of the AAA releases this season. Borderlands 2 is one of the better ones (I think) and I've even grown bored with that before I even beat once it with more than one character.

gently caress it. Whatever. They got my money, I played the game. See if they fix it up at all now that they don't have a deadline, but sill probably have SEGA breathing down their back.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Syves posted:

Yeah, it was hyperbole to say A:CM is the modern ET. But I've just been real disappointed lately with the majority of the AAA releases this season. Borderlands 2 is one of the better ones (I think) and I've even grown bored with that before I even beat once it with more than one character.

gently caress it. Whatever. They got my money, I played the game. See if they fix it up at all now that they don't have a deadline, but sill probably have SEGA breathing down their back.

What you should do is spend lower amounts of money for non-AAA games and see if any of those strike your fancy. There's absolute loads of games out there, some new, some old, just got to experiment (Or find videos that do the experimentation for you so you don't spend money deciding).

Speaking of video, Criken's got an ACM video out already. His shows some of the more broken aspects of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eht-jvLKw0k

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
xX<<TEAM SP00KY>>Xx

Giving pubbies a more authentic Aliens experience than the actual campaign could ever provide.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I've heard that this game crashed and burned, but all I can find is videos on how lovely the release graphics are vs the demo graphics. I've seen 1 multiplayer match and all I could tell is that the aliens are melee but they are barely faster than the marines, which makes them lovely.

Is the multiplayer decent or would I get roughly the same experience from left 4 dead 2 or natural selection 2?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I heard some guy on Reddit claiming to be a Gearbox senior tester did an AMA. Amongst other things, he said that the company took money from SEGA earmarked for the development of ACM and spent it on their own internal projects. If that turns out to be true, this is going to be one of the most entertaining train wrecks in video game history. Also the WiiU version is exactly the same only worse and with more minigames.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Dyz posted:

I've heard that this game crashed and burned, but all I can find is videos on how lovely the release graphics are vs the demo graphics. I've seen 1 multiplayer match and all I could tell is that the aliens are melee but they are barely faster than the marines, which makes them lovely.

Is the multiplayer decent or would I get roughly the same experience from left 4 dead 2 or natural selection 2?

Multiplayer is broken decent, but experience-wise you're going to have much more depth with natural selection 2. Left 4 Dead 2 is better in the Escape aspect but doesn't offer a Team Deathmatch experience.

7c Nickel posted:

I heard some guy on Reddit claiming to be a Gearbox senior tester did an AMA. Amongst other things, he said that the company took money from SEGA earmarked for the development of ACM and spent it on their own internal projects. If that turns out to be true, this is going to be one of the most entertaining train wrecks in video game history. Also the WiiU version is exactly the same only worse and with more minigames.

gently caress Gearbox for murdering my dream game right in front of me :( Borderlands 2 was all right but I wanted ACM more you assholes :mad:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

7c Nickel posted:

Somewhere in a dark corner Denis Dyack is holding a photo of Randy Pitchford and scowling.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

7c Nickel posted:

I would be pretty happy if they spent an extra year making the Wii U version good.

Not that that would ever happen, but a man can dream.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Shima Honnou posted:

What you should do is spend lower amounts of money for non-AAA games and see if any of those strike your fancy.

Oh, I do. That's what I've been spending most of my time playing, along with backlog. Natural Selection 2, FTL and Endless Space are some favorites. But for FPS's, it seems like its trip-A or go home. Or, backlog, I guess.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

7c Nickel posted:

You would be amazed how often this happens. Especially with licensed games.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

That sounds illegal.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Poor SEGA. When they finally give a developer all the time in the world, this happens.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

7c Nickel posted:

Hahahaha this is the trainwreck that never ends.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

That sounds illegal.

Breach of contract isn't illegal. Sega can pursue damages in civil court if they want (and if the contract was written properly).

7c Nickel posted:

Do you have a link? Reddit's search is awful.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They've deleted everything now, including the account, but the two threads were

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/18ndgq/i_was_a_tester_on_aliens_colonial_marines_ama/

and

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/18nmgd/i_was_a_tester_on_aliens_colonial_marines_ama/

It still has some reaction posts like

quote:

So you are basically saying that Gearbox used money meant for A:CM to fun Borderlands 2 instead ...

and that their position was verified in some unknown way to one of the Reddit mods.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

You would be amazed how often this happens. Especially with licensed games.

It's not even isolated to gaming; the people behind the movie Skyline had a legal dispute because they (in part) made the movie by skimming off of resources meant for their effects work Battle LA.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/02/14/gearbox-might-have-lied-about-aliens-development-mess/
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/who-made-aliens-heres-what-we-sorta-know/

The gift that keeps on giving.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lima posted:

Poor SEGA. When they finally give a developer all the time in the world, this happens.

Alpha Protocol had a long production didn't it? Something like 5 years?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

That game ended up being pretty great, too!

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Lord Lambeth posted:

http://www.gamesradar.com/alpha-protocol-announced/

It was announced on March 14, 2008 and was scheduled to release on October 27, 2009 until Sega decided to hold back release until May 2010. Work stopped in October so I would estimate it as a 2 year development cycle.

Where did you hear that anyway?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Merry Magpie posted:

http://www.gamesradar.com/alpha-protocol-announced/

It was announced on March 14, 2008 and was scheduled to release on October 27, 2009 until Sega decided to hold back release until May 2010. Work stopped in October so I would estimate it as a 2 year development cycle.

Where did you hear that anyway?

I got the impression it had a long development cycle from a talk by one of the devs. I'm pretty sure development usually starts a while before any announcements are made though so I think it's longer than you're estimating.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I got the impression it had a long development cycle from a talk by one of the devs. I'm pretty sure development usually starts a while before any announcements are made though so I think it's longer than you're estimating.

Well, yeah. I added 5 months onto the estimate to get 2 years.

Do you happen to have a link?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Merry Magpie posted:

Well, yeah. I added 5 months onto the estimate to get 2 years.

Do you happen to have a link?

I don't actually. I cite Matt Maclean's production beard instead

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Batham posted:

Also, I find it hilarious how the explosion that happens in the start of the game makes no sense from your point of view. You are catapulted away from the Sulaco while you should be catapulted towards it.
Haha so glad I'm not the only one to notice this.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't actually. I cite Matt Maclean's production beard instead

I am going to ignore the obvious question and point out that two years is long enough to grow a big bushy beard.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Insert name here posted:

Haha so glad I'm not the only one to notice this.

Actually, I was somewhat confused by this and I think I even died to it once.

It seems pretty obvious what this was aiming for - Call of Duty with Xenomorphs. It falls fairly short of this, though I found myself largely enjoying the second half of the campaign up until the last level. Pretty much from where Bella dies. Do we really have to spoiler this? Everybody hates this game. onward was pretty decent. As a CoD clone, it falls short, but I could dig it. I'd give it a 4 or 5/10 and would definitely recommend it under 30 bucks. Actually, my room mate has been looking forward to this since he went to basic training almost five years ago, and canceled it on the release date as soon as the reviews started coming out. I only bought it once I learned what a trainwreck it was.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Batham posted:

Also, I find it hilarious how the explosion that happens in the start of the game makes no sense from your point of view. You are catapulted away from the Sulaco while you should be catapulted towards it.

At first I assumed it was because the vacuum was sucking you out, which is why you're pulled away from the Sulaco, but then I watched it again and realized the camera is immediately looking in the wrong direction as if to assume you were being blasted away from, rather than towards. :downs:

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I just beat the game and seriously... Bishop downloads something from the fake Weyland (who was really a clone this whole time)? And thats it? This was after I shoved the queen alien out the side of the ship with a device that seems to serve no real purpose on the carrier other than to shove giant queen aliens out the side of the ship. Oh its a cargo mover but what is its normal function, to shove piles of poo poo like this game out of a hole that we created with a missile blast when we rammed our ship into theirs? This loving game man...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Who the hell is the marine that gets sucked out of the umbilical in that cutscene? I don't remember there being any marines other than Keyes, O'Neal, and Winter there, and it definitely shouldn't be Keyes because he literally just blew himself up with a grenade. There's so loving much wrong with that cutscene.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

To me it's goddamn amazing that Aliens vs Predator 2010 - a game that everybody shat on - was and still is lightyears ahead of Colonial Marines. It was made by a less known studio, had shorter development time, has 100 times better atmosphere and even plot, is 100 times more exciting, still looks better and even has better multiplayer.

Still the game was considered bad by many and whenever it pops out as a Steam deal you will read dozens of comments in the Steam thread warning not to buy it.

It's mindblowing that the 2010 title with all its problems was still so much better than this hyped canon piece of poo poo that we keep discussing for 73 pages now and every once in a while a rogue goon will still pop up to defend it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
You remember the hangar shortly before? Where Keyes throws a grenade that BOUNCES the dropship? The other marine was defending the door with O'Neal. You never see his name on HUD unless you hover over him with the reticle, which is a good indicator of his longevity and plot significance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Shima Honnou posted:

What you should do is spend lower amounts of money for non-AAA games and see if any of those strike your fancy. There's absolute loads of games out there, some new, some old, just got to experiment (Or find videos that do the experimentation for you so you don't spend money deciding).

Also do what I mostly do these days and wait 6-12 months to buy AAA games. Within a year you'll have the opportunity to get the PC version for 20 bucks in a Steam sale or the console one for 30 bucks new anyway. By that point your games will be patched, initial reactions will have cooled and you'll have a better idea what to expect going in, and with the sole exception of depopulated multiplayer in short-lived games like this one is destined to be your play experience will generally be superior to if you'd paid full price in the release window.

The downside is that you'll obviously have to wait to play games, but there are so many games out there (especially taking into account indies and replaying old games you loved) that if you legitimately run out of half-priced AAA games to play you should probably just spend some of your free time reading books or learning an instrument or something instead of playing videogames all day.

• Locked thread